Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? 01:23 - Nov 15 with 36871 viewsCurrie10

Anyone played non league, the professional game, had a promising youth career etc?

I've done none of the above! Sunday league and crappy local Saturday 2-3pm kick offs for me.
on 01:31 - Nov 15 with 15251 views_

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 01:37 - Nov 15 with 15233 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I played for Orients development side for about 6 months aged 14/15 if that's any consolation

If what Libby says is true about Clivebaker, that's quite a decent standard that. Not far off professional

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 01:47 - Nov 15 with 15223 viewsIllinoisblue

Cornard Dynamoes Under 10s. I coulda had class, I coulda been a contender...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 02:49 - Nov 15 with 15175 viewsSpruceMoose

Headers and volleys on the school playing field was my limit.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 04:05 - Nov 15 with 15153 viewshorsehollerer

Given that there's no NightHoppy, I may as well take this one, then.

So... I had a kickabout in a car park in Denver, Colorado once.
1,609 metres above sea level.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 04:14 - Nov 15 with 15143 viewsIPS_wich

School first team, Suffolk County schoolboys, Ipswich Exiles junior teams and then the first team when I was 17. Went off to University of Leeds and got into the 2nd XI (there were 500+ attending the trials for 4 teams). In my last year there I was vice-captain of the 2nd XI and we won the national cup for University Second teams. I moved down to London and did a pre-season with Hanwell Town, but work (and beer!!) got in the way and I couldn't commit to training.
Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 05:00 - Nov 15 with 15125 viewsGiveusaWave

Many years ago played for Lampeter in the Ceredigion League. We won the league two years running but were unable to go up as our facilities were considered too poor and we had no way of changing them (no money). We'd get a few people watching...but mostly people who were walking their dogs passed the pitch and were bored. Failed to score a single goal (was a RWB)...though remember hitting the post with a volley once. Only decent turn out we had all year was when we played the (now extinct) SDUC (used to be St. davids University college but it's now been merged with loads of other places and I've got no idea what it's called now). That game would draw in a lot of the students and crowd could get to 2/300. Considering St Davids only had about 1000 students at the time...that was a good draw. Never played against anyone of note. Ceredigion League is about Tier 5 of Welsh Football...but when you look at the whole system it's more like Tier 11 (there are loads of division 1/2 etc in each section).

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 07:00 - Nov 15 with 15010 viewsKeaneish

Baker played at a higher standard than me. I was Bristol City YTS and then played semi-pro in the Southern and Western leagues for about 7 years. Best accolade was making the quarter finals of the FA Vase.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 07:35 - Nov 15 with 14931 viewsgtsb1966

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 01:47 - Nov 15 by Illinoisblue

Cornard Dynamoes Under 10s. I coulda had class, I coulda been a contender...

I don't know your age Illy but I played for your rivals Springland Colts in the 70's. Youth football was booming in the area in those days.
Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 07:45 - Nov 15 with 14901 viewsWD19

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 04:05 - Nov 15 by horsehollerer

Given that there's no NightHoppy, I may as well take this one, then.

So... I had a kickabout in a car park in Denver, Colorado once.
1,609 metres above sea level.

I had an 11-a-side at a work conference in Mexico City. 2,250m.

Rolling subs thankfully....it was murder.
Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 07:49 - Nov 15 with 14900 viewschristiand

In my schoolboy days I was with West Ham United and then Chelsea, Academy equivalent these days. I also played for Essex with David Beckham and represented London Schools and got to the last 80 for England schoolboys that season too.

At 16, I signed YTS forms with Nottingham Forest (Brian Clough days) and when I turned 17 signed my first professional contract. I stayed for a further 2 years at the City Ground, but my contract wasn't renewed, but managed to play U21, reserve football and travelled with the first team on 3 occasions to Arsenal, Wimbledon and Sheffield United. Trained and played a few reserve games for Southend United under Peter Taylor too, but looking back I think I lost my drive when I left Forest.

Didn't really play a lot afterwards, found I didn't really miss playing.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 6:39]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 07:54 - Nov 15 with 14870 viewsITFC_Forever

The highest I managed was second team at Staffs Uni.... university football was, and still is, a decent standard.
When I finished uni I played Licensed Trades League for about 11-12 years, me and a mate set up Westbourne Warriors who are still going strong today. After one game, the chairman of the opposition approached me and asked if I’d play for Old Newton on Saturdays, but I politely declined as Saturdays were for watching ITFC.

Bro-in-law was YTS at Chelsea when they won the FA Cup against ‘Boro in 1997, he then played for Colchester, Exeter, Weymouth, Canary Island (in their Conference days), Chelmsford, Stevenage, Cambridge, Torquay, Newport and Eastbourne... coaches now, but he had to play for Leiston in the FA Cup last season due to injuries to all the other goalkeepers.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 07:56 - Nov 15 with 14857 viewsevansblue

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 04:14 - Nov 15 by IPS_wich

School first team, Suffolk County schoolboys, Ipswich Exiles junior teams and then the first team when I was 17. Went off to University of Leeds and got into the 2nd XI (there were 500+ attending the trials for 4 teams). In my last year there I was vice-captain of the 2nd XI and we won the national cup for University Second teams. I moved down to London and did a pre-season with Hanwell Town, but work (and beer!!) got in the way and I couldn't commit to training.

I went to Leeds Poly up at Beckett Park early 90s.
As you say, turned up for the trial and there were about 500 of us. I got 5 minutes for my trial and never touched the ball. The standard was pretty exceptional so fair play captaining the second team.
Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 08:45 - Nov 15 with 14751 viewsCambonbleu

I ran a team in the Sudbury and Haverhill Sunday League for about 18 years - I'm the all time top appearance maker for said club and probably the all time top scorer though we lost count tbh.

Sunday football is isn't really football, it's just travelling to Haverhill every other sunday to have the s%&t kicked out of you.

I love this thread as we all hide behind out pseudonyms but are forced to reveal a little about ourselves, just outing ourselves slightly to the human we really are!

Poll: How many Season Ticket holders will ITFC have next season?
Blog: Why All the Positivity?

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 08:48 - Nov 15 with 14745 viewsLesta_Tractor

Managed the bottom division of the Ipswich Sunday Football League.

Bit more successful on the hockey pitch, played at the 5th level on the national pyramid and had half a season of playing in the top division in Melbourne.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 08:51 - Nov 15 with 14728 viewsJuanMan

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 07:49 - Nov 15 by christiand

In my schoolboy days I was with West Ham United and then Chelsea, Academy equivalent these days. I also played for Essex with David Beckham and represented London Schools and got to the last 80 for England schoolboys that season too.

At 16, I signed YTS forms with Nottingham Forest (Brian Clough days) and when I turned 17 signed my first professional contract. I stayed for a further 2 years at the City Ground, but my contract wasn't renewed, but managed to play U21, reserve football and travelled with the first team on 3 occasions to Arsenal, Wimbledon and Sheffield United. Trained and played a few reserve games for Southend United under Peter Taylor too, but looking back I think I lost my drive when I left Forest.

Didn't really play a lot afterwards, found I didn't really miss playing.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 6:39]

A question you've no doubt heard time and again...but, could you see Becks' quality even then or did he really kick on later in his youth?
Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:03 - Nov 15 with 14703 viewschristiand

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 08:51 - Nov 15 by JuanMan

A question you've no doubt heard time and again...but, could you see Becks' quality even then or did he really kick on later in his youth?

No, he was short then and quiet and kept himself to himself. He was at Manchester United from an early age, but never bragged about it. If you didn't know yourself, you simply wouldn't of known. You could see he had good technique and he could deliver a ball well, even then, but the amazing levels he then went on to achieve in his career was incredible.

It was interesting when I used to play against Beckham in the School District U11/U12 (he played for Waltham Forest and I played for Colchester), they had a forward called Nana Boachie he was at Watford at the time, he scored goals for fun and was built like a tank. He was the one everyone was talking about and expected great things from. Nothing ever heard of him.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:09 - Nov 15 with 14669 viewsbahri

Class 1 referee.

redandella

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:09 - Nov 15 with 14666 viewsgtsb1966

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 08:45 - Nov 15 by Cambonbleu

I ran a team in the Sudbury and Haverhill Sunday League for about 18 years - I'm the all time top appearance maker for said club and probably the all time top scorer though we lost count tbh.

Sunday football is isn't really football, it's just travelling to Haverhill every other sunday to have the s%&t kicked out of you.

I love this thread as we all hide behind out pseudonyms but are forced to reveal a little about ourselves, just outing ourselves slightly to the human we really are!

And the team was?
Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:39 - Nov 15 with 14576 viewsmonty_radio

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:03 - Nov 15 by christiand

No, he was short then and quiet and kept himself to himself. He was at Manchester United from an early age, but never bragged about it. If you didn't know yourself, you simply wouldn't of known. You could see he had good technique and he could deliver a ball well, even then, but the amazing levels he then went on to achieve in his career was incredible.

It was interesting when I used to play against Beckham in the School District U11/U12 (he played for Waltham Forest and I played for Colchester), they had a forward called Nana Boachie he was at Watford at the time, he scored goals for fun and was built like a tank. He was the one everyone was talking about and expected great things from. Nothing ever heard of him.

Aforesaid Nana Boachie on David Beckham:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_JVXFGO2UBYC&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=nana+boachi

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:42 - Nov 15 with 14555 viewsbluefunk

Not a particularly decent standard but on Saturdays played for Needham Marker (reserves), Stonham (Ists) before moving and playing regularly in the Essex Intermediate league. Plus Sundays,. Never quick enough, but managed over 1000 games in total over 20 years - absolutely loved playing and only gave up reluctantly
on 09:44 - Nov 15 with 14545 views_

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:42 - Nov 15 by bluefunk

Not a particularly decent standard but on Saturdays played for Needham Marker (reserves), Stonham (Ists) before moving and playing regularly in the Essex Intermediate league. Plus Sundays,. Never quick enough, but managed over 1000 games in total over 20 years - absolutely loved playing and only gave up reluctantly

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:45 - Nov 15 with 14549 viewsWickets

Eastern counties league, 50 years ago playing against the likes of Yarmouth, lowestoft, Clacton, Haverhill, Soham, Histon ect. About Ryman league standard? £3 a week plus ten bob win bonus , seemed like a fortune! mind you think we only got payed if we played.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 9:54]
Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:46 - Nov 15 with 14542 viewsmonty_radio

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:42 - Nov 15 by bluefunk

Try Walking Football. Not the same, obviously, but great fun. Available at half-a-dozen times and venues in town (Ipswich, that is).

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Who has played the highest level on this forum footy wise? on 09:47 - Nov 15 with 14543 viewsmaccyd9

Played for Whitton Utd with Sergei Jnr, the famous Hollies with Matt Upson, Dyer and Richard Wright. Many of that side went on to play semi pro and earn decent money at Heybridge, Hornchurch etc.

I peaked when I had trials at West Brom but had to cut it short due to Osgood Shclatters in my knee and never really got going again.

After that played for Whitton United and gave up mid twenties so I could get p!ssed and follow Town all over the place.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024