Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Live Band 70s/80s 16:14 - Nov 15 with 25430 viewsitfcpaul

What's the best live band you have seen recently who arrived in the late 70s 80s?

I will start with a few thoughts:
OMD
Gary Numan
Barenaked Ladies
Green Day
ELO
Midge Ure

What's yours?

[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 16:42]

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 10:16 - Nov 17 with 1827 viewsse20blue

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 19:11 - Nov 15 by BlueBadger

Queen.

I believe I win.

Only a support group for Mott the Hoople in the 70s.
Ian Hunter still playing with the Rant Band.
Best Live Band 70s/80s on 10:27 - Nov 17 with 1817 viewsitfcpaul

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 09:49 - Nov 17 by Superfrans

These days, artists tend to use live autotune or vocal overlays rather than mime, don't they? There aren't too many artists who even attempt the kind of dance spectaculars that Michael Jackson and Madonna used to in the Eighties/Nineties. So few artists who need to lip-sync live. I've seen lots of pop acts over the past 2/3 decades and lip-syncing has become much less prevalent.

Certainly, someone like Jeff Lynne of ELO would *never* mime live - there is a lot of vocal overlays, but that's it. Some bands/performers are simply very tight. That's what comes of performing the same set 200-300 times over a 2 year period.

I think that the band's we are talking about who have been playing live for so long can actually still song and play live or they would be caught out in some of the smallest venues. check out the ones who do acoustic tours. Midge Ure Glenn Tilbrook for example who are smazing live

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 10:30 - Nov 17 with 1813 viewsitfcpaul

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 09:42 - Nov 16 by Radlett_blue

Getting a large stadium really rocking is hard to do. The ones I've seen do it are The Who & Springsteen. I tend to avoid stadium gigs for that reason, as well as the fact that the acoustics can be very poor.

I hate big stadium gigs as normally the atmosphere can be a bit stsle but Green Day are amazing

Totally on it for every second

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 10:57 - Nov 17 with 1804 viewsBluespeed225

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 18:44 - Nov 15 by Popeadrian64

The Jam at Wembley
.......and surprisingly Level 42..

I caught them in 81’ at their peak, and at the first Wembley gig. It was all getting a bit fractured by then, football chants, fan frustration. It was done by then. We were morphing from Mod to Scooterboys! Tales for another time...
Best Live Band 70s/80s on 09:33 - Nov 18 with 1745 viewsitfcpaul

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 16:21 - Nov 15 by Basuco

Madness still put on a great show.

I was hoping to see what could have been the best or worst live performance from ONE of the band's I've asked about... The Rezillos.. ...but couldn't go due to my wife's illness...pitt as I was really looking forward to it so will never know..coukd have been as good as Live aid or as bad as Bananarama live!!

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 11:06 - Nov 18 with 1726 viewsLord_Lucan

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 10:57 - Nov 17 by Bluespeed225

I caught them in 81’ at their peak, and at the first Wembley gig. It was all getting a bit fractured by then, football chants, fan frustration. It was done by then. We were morphing from Mod to Scooterboys! Tales for another time...

I saw them in 1980 at The Hammy Odeon - Sound Affects tour.

Don't start me on Scooterboys, fat, unclean scruffy b4stards.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 17:31 - Nov 18 with 1696 viewsBluespeed225

Best Live Band 70s/80s on 11:06 - Nov 18 by Lord_Lucan

I saw them in 1980 at The Hammy Odeon - Sound Affects tour.

Don't start me on Scooterboys, fat, unclean scruffy b4stards.

Up to 84’ it was great, we were soul boys, riding the length and breath of the country, so the clobber became more practical, but it got infiltrated, money men saw a quick buck and it got silly. NF tried to move in, more trouble than footy( and this was mid 80’s!) I was off the run scene after 86’, became a scooter/ModCasual/Northern/House/rave/acid jazzer
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024