Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
23:50 - Nov 15 with 34203 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 12:27 - Nov 16 with 5766 viewsimsureazzure

on 12:22 - Nov 16 by _

I haven't but will, it just grates me that the good points become swamped by an echo chamber of pins in the eyes of posters who form an alternative argument.

Your point is received and understood, I will bail out.
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 12:27 - Nov 16 with 5764 viewschicoazul

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 09:37 - Nov 16 by FrowsyArmLarry

What I’m saying is that younge didn’t really have a counter argument. He should be focusing on the outcomes the likes of spencer expect from their movement and then tear that down.

Arguing some hypothetical argument that Africa would be prosperous now if there had never been any outside influences is distracting.

Distracting for whom? You, maybe.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 12:32 - Nov 16 with 5755 viewschicoazul

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 12:12 - Nov 16 by imsureazzure

Down will come the troop, mutually appreciating, condoning violence, name checking other posters and following that with a smug insult, the pack mentality burning any comparison of the hard right to the hard Maoist left that is invading Britain's culture under the banner of the once working mans political party.

It must be cathartic to screech about the same splinter under the nail every day, surely it must.

These are all good points and although this is just a stupid football message board, what we see here daily underline the problems the centre-left has in modern society in that to many people they are seen as smug entitled conformist and self-appreciative.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 12:44 - Nov 16 with 5730 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 12:27 - Nov 16 by imsureazzure

I haven't but will, it just grates me that the good points become swamped by an echo chamber of pins in the eyes of posters who form an alternative argument.

Your point is received and understood, I will bail out.

on 12:45 - Nov 16 with 5727 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 12:32 - Nov 16 by chicoazul

These are all good points and although this is just a stupid football message board, what we see here daily underline the problems the centre-left has in modern society in that to many people they are seen as smug entitled conformist and self-appreciative.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 13:03 - Nov 16 with 5697 viewsDesmond

on 11:40 - Nov 16 by _

Wait a minute brother. Are you seriously quoting a TV cartoon show as a way to deal with a far right political movement?
on 13:12 - Nov 16 with 5687 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 13:03 - Nov 16 by Desmond

Wait a minute brother. Are you seriously quoting a TV cartoon show as a way to deal with a far right political movement?

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 13:20 - Nov 16 with 5668 viewsSwansea_Blue

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 10:54 - Nov 16 by caught-in-limbo

Thanks Libby, that looks very interesting. I've listened to the first 10 minutes and will listen to the rest this evening.

The comments on this thread have already started to polarise opinion on this topic. There are those that feel that this is an attack on the right by an increasingly permissive society and others who defend what are currently called "progressive" values who are standing up against what they see as intolerance.

Information about the alt-right seems to get all the air time because its supporters are so objectionable to the majority in western society today.

Being a mixed-race European teacher, I identify myself far more with the left than I do with the right - but I don't go for this "alt-right is evil, progressive is good" narrative which I believe is thrust upon us. "Progressive" power is far more soft and is entrenched far more deeply in our society by constant reinforcement by our media. The alt-right recognise this and respond in a very ugly and sickeningly intolerant way.

It's my view that both sides are being played by the same people. We as normal European citizens are being asked to decide which side we are on. The sensible answer is of course easy: we want to be on the side of tolerance, peace and equality, and although that is the view of the overwhelming majority, our society is moving in an increasingly unpeaceful, intolerant and unequal direction. The alt-right will argue that this is because of the left's excessively tolerant and forgiving attitude to real dangers, while the left blame the alt-right.

This game is played out here on this site every day.

I must have posted these types of quotes on this site 10 times in the last 2 years, but it sums up what is happening to our society:

#divide&conquer

We are being played by the same people: one if which is the Russian propaganda machine if reports about tweets linked to the London attacks are correct. Divide and conquer indeed.

Those quotes are (a) taken out of context, (b) false, (c) renounced by Orwell himself (and also taken out of context). They're a common part of the 'alt-right' toolkit apparently.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

on 13:41 - Nov 16 with 5639 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 13:20 - Nov 16 by Swansea_Blue

We are being played by the same people: one if which is the Russian propaganda machine if reports about tweets linked to the London attacks are correct. Divide and conquer indeed.

Those quotes are (a) taken out of context, (b) false, (c) renounced by Orwell himself (and also taken out of context). They're a common part of the 'alt-right' toolkit apparently.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 13:51 - Nov 16 with 5626 viewslowhouseblue

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 13:20 - Nov 16 by Swansea_Blue

the 'anti-democracy, anti-west, the government and the press conspire to control us and lie to us' brigade are fellow travellers of the alt-right. they share common roots, and, as you say, the same tool kit. they all aim to spread confusion, fake news and mistrust - as does, coincidently, mr putin.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:03 - Nov 16 with 5607 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 12:27 - Nov 16 by chicoazul

Distracting for whom? You, maybe.

Ok smartarse, explain to me exactly what the continent of Africa would be like now if no European had set foot on it.
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:09 - Nov 16 with 5593 viewsBluesquid

If reports are correct?

Why don't you wait until they are proven with evidence to be correct.

'You, sir, are guilty and sentenced based on...reports - if they are correct'

Being played and fooled it seems...hook,line and sinker.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 14:18]
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:13 - Nov 16 with 5582 viewsHerbivore

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 12:12 - Nov 16 by imsureazzure

Down will come the troop, mutually appreciating, condoning violence, name checking other posters and following that with a smug insult, the pack mentality burning any comparison of the hard right to the hard Maoist left that is invading Britain's culture under the banner of the once working mans political party.

It must be cathartic to screech about the same splinter under the nail every day, surely it must.

I see blue oyster has let you out of the gimp dungeon for the day.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

on 14:15 - Nov 16 with 5575 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:03 - Nov 16 by FrowsyArmLarry

Ok smartarse, explain to me exactly what the continent of Africa would be like now if no European had set foot on it.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:16 - Nov 16 with 5571 viewsSpruceMoose

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:13 - Nov 16 by Herbivore

I see blue oyster has let you out of the gimp dungeon for the day.

Trolls of a feather, flock together.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

on 14:17 - Nov 16 with 5564 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:09 - Nov 16 by Bluesquid

If reports are correct?

Why don't you wait until they are proven with evidence to be correct.

'You, sir, are guilty and sentenced based on...reports - if they are correct'

Being played and fooled it seems...hook,line and sinker.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 14:18]

on 14:18 - Nov 16 with 5561 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:16 - Nov 16 by SpruceMoose

Trolls of a feather, flock together.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:28 - Nov 16 with 5549 viewsBluesquid

on 14:17 - Nov 16 by _

Fair enough but even as individuals we shouldn't just take someones or some organisations word as the truth and instead work with solid proof and evidence. Don't you think?
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:30 - Nov 16 with 5545 viewsbaxterbasics

Much more worried about the rise of the left in the UK, tbh.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:30 - Nov 16 with 5545 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 10:23 - Nov 16 by _

I’m saying it’s not ok to go around killing and maiming your political opponents.

I am also not comparing the likes of far right groups to the far left. The far right are powerless irrelevant idiots. The far left are getting dangerously close to the levers of power in this country
meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:37 - Nov 16 with 5528 viewsNo9

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:30 - Nov 16 by FrowsyArmLarry

I’m saying it’s not ok to go around killing and maiming your political opponents.

I am also not comparing the likes of far right groups to the far left. The far right are powerless irrelevant idiots. The far left are getting dangerously close to the levers of power in this country

That is one of the most stupid posts this year.
You are either sleeping or not looking at reality.
on 14:37 - Nov 16 with 5528 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:30 - Nov 16 by FrowsyArmLarry

on 14:38 - Nov 16 with 5528 views_

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:30 - Nov 16 by baxterbasics

Much more worried about the rise of the left in the UK, tbh.

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:39 - Nov 16 with 5522 viewsnoggin

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 00:17 - Nov 16 by LankHenners

Coincidentally to you posting this Spencer (and Stephen Yaxley-Lennon) are whinging on Twitter that their blue ticks have been removed.

Did you see this last week where Gary Younge interviewed Spencer? Remarkable.

Wow! How did Gary Younge not smash that c u nt right between the eyes. I was raging just watching it.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 14:39 - Nov 16 with 5519 viewsbaxterbasics

meme wars, internet culture and the 'alt right' on 10:07 - Nov 16 by BlueBadger

Ah, the old 'opposing nazis is as bad as being a nazi' fallacy.

The correct way to fight bad ideas is to counter with good ideas and win the argument.

Punching people isn't opposing, and is only justified if you are getting punched in the first place (or about to).

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024