Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cup finals draw 13:28 - Nov 16 with 25103 viewsSuperfrans

Takes place on December 1.
Who do we fancy in the draw? One team from each pot.

Pot 1: Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, Poland, France
Pot 2: Spain, Peru, Switzerland, England, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, Croatia
Pot 3: Denmark, Iceland, Costa Rica, Sweden, Tunisia, Egypt, Senegal, Iran
Pot 4: Serbia, Nigeria, Australia, Japan, Morocco, Panama, South Korea, Saudi Arabia

For me, best draw would be: Russia, England, Iran, Australia.
Worst draw: Brazil, England, Iceland, Serbia.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

World Cup finals draw on 20:07 - Nov 16 with 5621 viewssyntaxerror

World Cup finals draw on 18:51 - Nov 16 by SpruceMoose

Did you not post this then?

"Look at our last World Cup and euro matches:

Iceland - Lost
Slovakia - Drew
Wales - WON
Russia - Drew
Costa Rica - Drew
Uruguay - Lost
Italy - Lost "

What is that, if not history?

But anyway, what is your thinking about the current Poland team that puts them so far ahead of England? Both, to me at least, are fairly average sides, with Poland relying on Lewandowski too much.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 18:57]

Poland do build their team around Lewandowski though.
Fast counter attacking with 2 proper wingers in Grosicki and Blaszyzkowski and Arcadius Milik, a tall pacey number 10, to provide the service. Attacking fullbacks and a solid defensive midfielder screening the central defence.
Their coach has got the team working nicely as a unit and they are very exciting to watch when they play well.

While only 2/3 of their team would walk into the England side, they are a better team at the moment in my opinion.
Against England they would play on the counter and likely hurt us.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 20:10]
World Cup finals draw on 20:08 - Nov 16 with 5617 viewsSpruceMoose

World Cup finals draw on 20:07 - Nov 16 by syntaxerror

Fast counter attacking with 2 proper wingers in Grosicki and Blaszyzkowski and Arcadius Milik, a tall pacey number 10, to provide the service. Attacking fullbacks and a solid defensive midfielder screening the central defence.
Their coach has got the team working nicely as a unit and they are very exciting to watch when they play well.

While only 2/3 of their team would walk into the England side, they are a better team at the moment in my opinion.

well, perhaps we will find out next summer!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

World Cup finals draw on 20:13 - Nov 16 with 5609 viewssyntaxerror

World Cup finals draw on 20:08 - Nov 16 by SpruceMoose

well, perhaps we will find out next summer!

I'd prefer to avoid them in the early stages.
Germany, Iran and Panama for me.
Finish 2nd in group and not have to face Germany again til later in the tournament.
World Cup finals draw on 20:15 - Nov 16 with 5609 viewsbrazil1982

Please not Australia.
World Cup finals draw on 20:23 - Nov 16 with 5603 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

World Cup finals draw on 18:51 - Nov 16 by SpruceMoose

Did you not post this then?

"Look at our last World Cup and euro matches:

Iceland - Lost
Slovakia - Drew
Wales - WON
Russia - Drew
Costa Rica - Drew
Uruguay - Lost
Italy - Lost "

What is that, if not history?

But anyway, what is your thinking about the current Poland team that puts them so far ahead of England? Both, to me at least, are fairly average sides, with Poland relying on Lewandowski too much.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 18:57]

That was only to show J2 that the average teams that he reckons we shouldn't fear, do in fact tend to stop England getting wins at the latest big comps.

Poland to me play really good stuff on the floor. They are a far more dangerous attacking threat than England with creativity and fluidity. They are generally solid defensively. England tend to lose that defensive solid back line at the big comps which is a worry.

Hart is not a better keeper than the polish chap.

Our midfield is lacking in any creativity at all - unlike the polish.

We have one world class player in harry Kane. They have lewandowski. The latter is better in my opinion.

Therefore, i conclude your honour, that Poland are better in all positions right now as a team than the current shower of sh1t that is England.

I am willing to bet anybody on this forum right now up to £20 for charity that Poland get to a further stage of the World Cup than England. Or at least get to the same stage.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

World Cup finals draw on 20:29 - Nov 16 with 5596 viewsJakeITFC

World Cup finals draw on 20:23 - Nov 16 by The_Romford_Blue

That was only to show J2 that the average teams that he reckons we shouldn't fear, do in fact tend to stop England getting wins at the latest big comps.

Poland to me play really good stuff on the floor. They are a far more dangerous attacking threat than England with creativity and fluidity. They are generally solid defensively. England tend to lose that defensive solid back line at the big comps which is a worry.

Hart is not a better keeper than the polish chap.

Our midfield is lacking in any creativity at all - unlike the polish.

We have one world class player in harry Kane. They have lewandowski. The latter is better in my opinion.

Therefore, i conclude your honour, that Poland are better in all positions right now as a team than the current shower of sh1t that is England.

I am willing to bet anybody on this forum right now up to £20 for charity that Poland get to a further stage of the World Cup than England. Or at least get to the same stage.

Done, £20 that Poland don’t get further than England.
World Cup finals draw on 20:30 - Nov 16 with 5592 viewsSpruceMoose

World Cup finals draw on 20:29 - Nov 16 by JakeITFC

OOOOOOOOHHH!!!

Bookmarking this one!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

World Cup finals draw on 20:32 - Nov 16 with 5591 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

World Cup finals draw on 20:29 - Nov 16 by JakeITFC

So £20 to a charity of your choosing if England get further than Poland.

£20 to a charity of my choosing if England don't?

Login to get fewer ads

World Cup finals draw on 20:35 - Nov 16 with 5589 viewsjeera

World Cup finals draw on 20:30 - Nov 16 by SpruceMoose

OOOOOOOOHHH!!!

Bookmarking this one!

I'm with Jake on this. We'd beat Poland.

If you were to choose a group with Poland, say, the likes of Iran, and any from pot 4 we would walk the group.

Beyond that, possibly first flight home.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

World Cup finals draw on 20:42 - Nov 16 with 5580 viewsTrequartista

we've got good players - Stones, Walker, Sterling, Alli, Kane, Dier, Rashford are all performing well in the Premier League and Champions League - but most of them will be mentally and physically exhausted by June/July and not perform anything like they do for their club, as we will no doubt struggle to scrape into the 2nd round

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

World Cup finals draw on 20:58 - Nov 16 with 5568 viewsolimar

World Cup finals draw on 17:00 - Nov 16 by CaptainObvious

Yes i do. I think Spain's record in the major tournaments in the last 10 years should count for more. Instead we have Poland above them despite less points in qualifying presumably because they went one round further in euro 2016. I believe international friendlies have some weight too which is pretty farcical. I think most people would agree Spain are a stronger side than Poland, and I think if the emphasis was tweaked away from current results, a more realistic set of seedings would emerge.

Your point on Friendlies is spot on- it completely warps the standings.

But even if you take into account current results, then the most relevant barometer of competitive games would be the qualification for this world cup, that has only just finished. And Spains record was better than Polands, over 10 games. In the qualification for the previous Euros, Spains record was far better than Polands, over 10 games.
In between the two, at Euro 2016, Poland went one game further in the tournament than Spain, where Spain lost to one of the tournaments strongest teams, Italy, whilst Poland went one round further by beating Switzerland on Pens.
Going further back than that, youre at the previous World Cup.

Its hard to see by what competitive metric Poland can be classed as a better side than Spain, to the degree that they get a higher seeding at a World Cup finals.

Which of course leaves friendly results, which is all about Fifa presumably attempting to ensure friendlies retain value, and therefore financial value.
World Cup finals draw on 21:42 - Nov 16 with 5550 viewsVaughan8

Ho w anyone can think Russia the home nation are the best draw in pot1 is beyond me. Surely they will be up for it! I think Poland is the “easiest” seed 1.

Without knowing how good each team is, surely Panama must be the weakest in pot 4. Pot 3 seems like whoever we get could be dangerous but should be beating.

Least we can’t get Spain
World Cup finals draw on 22:16 - Nov 16 with 5528 viewsJakeITFC

World Cup finals draw on 20:32 - Nov 16 by The_Romford_Blue

So £20 to a charity of your choosing if England get further than Poland.

£20 to a charity of my choosing if England don't?

No, read what I said.

Remember that Poland are ‘much better than England’.
World Cup finals draw on 23:00 - Nov 16 with 5502 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

World Cup finals draw on 22:16 - Nov 16 by JakeITFC

No, read what I said.

Remember that Poland are ‘much better than England’.

But if they both get eliminated in the last 16, nobody's point is proven.

If you don't want to do the charity bet on your side, that's fine. We will cancel it then.

At least I put me money where me mouth is.

World Cup finals draw on 23:07 - Nov 16 with 5493 viewsJakeITFC

World Cup finals draw on 23:00 - Nov 16 by The_Romford_Blue

But if they both get eliminated in the last 16, nobody's point is proven.

If you don't want to do the charity bet on your side, that's fine. We will cancel it then.

At least I put me money where me mouth is.

You said Poland are much better than England, ergo they should do much better than them.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, and we can both donate £20 if they get knocked out at the same stage, how about that?
World Cup finals draw on 23:16 - Nov 16 with 5483 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

World Cup finals draw on 23:07 - Nov 16 by JakeITFC

You said Poland are much better than England, ergo they should do much better than them.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, and we can both donate £20 if they get knocked out at the same stage, how about that?

Sounds fine to me

We have a deal. Hopefully I lose.

World Cup finals draw on 23:19 - Nov 16 with 5482 viewsCurrie10

Serbia by far the best in pot 4.

Sweden + Denmark to avoid in pot 3. Yes Iceland have done well to make it, but both are far better I would imagine.
World Cup finals draw on 01:40 - Nov 17 with 5427 viewsThe_Last_Baron

World Cup finals draw on 16:44 - Nov 16 by CaptainObvious

Which begs the question why are Poland ahead of Spain in the rankings which begs the answer i gave elsewhere, the world rankings rely too much on current form, in my opinion.

Poland reached the last 8 of the Euros, Spain the last 16.

SInce then their records are pretty similar, apart from Poland losing badly in Denmark. Both topped their group with a fairly big points total..

There's a reason teams are near the top of the rankings and that's because they win most of their games.

Switzerland are 11th as they have had had excellent result over the past 4 years. Serbia close to 40th as they haven't.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

World Cup finals draw on 01:42 - Nov 17 with 5423 viewsThe_Last_Baron

World Cup finals draw on 20:07 - Nov 16 by syntaxerror

Milik isn't a tall, pacey number 10. He's a striker and will probably be on the bench for of of the games. Very average player at international level.

Blaszczykowski may not start either.

Without Lewandowski, Poland would be a bang average side. With him and a kind draw they could easily make the quarter-finals and then anything could happen.

World Cup finals draw on 01:43 - Nov 17 with 5423 viewsCrock

World Cup finals draw on 20:35 - Nov 16 by jeera

If you were to choose a group with Poland, say, the likes of Iran, and any from pot 4 we would walk the group.

No, you wouldn't walk that group. From pot 4 you could struggle against Nigeria, Australia, South Korea, Japan and Serbia.

Poll: Favourite number?

World Cup finals draw on 05:25 - Nov 17 with 5398 viewsjeera

World Cup finals draw on 01:43 - Nov 17 by Crock

No, you wouldn't walk that group. From pot 4 you could struggle against Nigeria, Australia, South Korea, Japan and Serbia.

Blimey.

I'm glad I have more faith than you already.

You don't wanna be watching the WC with that approach.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

World Cup finals draw on 12:49 - Nov 17 with 5357 viewsJ2BLUE

World Cup finals draw on 05:25 - Nov 17 by jeera

Blimey.

I'm glad I have more faith than you already.

You don't wanna be watching the WC with that approach.

Poland are overrated IMO. They aren't a footballing giant like some are making out. I do slightly fear getting teams like them and Denmark though, who we should be beating, but who have a player who can really hurt us. Not sure Southgate is the type to think we'll probably concede so had better go out and make sure we score a few.

I do agree though, we should be winning any group with Poland/Russia from pot 1 and having a damn good go against anyone else.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

World Cup finals draw on 14:05 - Nov 17 with 5336 viewsThe_Last_Baron

World Cup finals draw on 20:35 - Nov 16 by jeera

England would at best draw with Poland.

Poland have beaten Germany 2-0 and drawn 0-0 against them in the last three years - in competitive games. They came within a penalty shoot-out of the semi-finals at the European Championship. They rely heavily on Lewandowski but they've got him.

England have nobody of his class. Not even Harry Kane fully fit is as good as Lewandowski.

World Cup finals draw on 14:07 - Nov 17 with 5335 viewsThe_Last_Baron

World Cup finals draw on 23:19 - Nov 16 by Currie10

Serbia by far the best in pot 4.

Sweden + Denmark to avoid in pot 3. Yes Iceland have done well to make it, but both are far better I would imagine.

Serbia are nothing special. They'll get knocked out at the group stage. Nigeria and Japan are stronger.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 14:08]

World Cup finals draw on 14:08 - Nov 17 with 5328 viewsSpruceMoose

World Cup finals draw on 14:05 - Nov 17 by The_Last_Baron

England would at best draw with Poland.

Poland have beaten Germany 2-0 and drawn 0-0 against them in the last three years - in competitive games. They came within a penalty shoot-out of the semi-finals at the European Championship. They rely heavily on Lewandowski but they've got him.

England have nobody of his class. Not even Harry Kane fully fit is as good as Lewandowski.

I think Jake is taking bets if you're so certain!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024