Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice 14:14 - Nov 17 with 12709 viewsLord_Lucan

Normally I would go somewhere and get hammered but the future ex wife and I thought we would like to go somewhere where we can actually do or see something rather than just go from bar to bar.

Unfortunately this isn't my area of expertise and all suggestions are welcome.

Berlin would be the sort of place but I've been there a couple of times already.

Cheers chaps.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:27 - Nov 17 with 4284 viewsStokieBlue

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:24 - Nov 17 by floridablue

Copenhagen, only been once just before xmas in the early 80s. The tivoli gardens area with the markets were superb, would love to visit again myself.

Am going in December but apparently the Tivoli Gardens now close for the winter which is a bit annoying.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:27 - Nov 17 with 4284 viewsBarcaBlue

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 16:11 - Nov 17 by GlasgowBlue

My Mrs has booked a weekend away next month to a town in the south of France called Carcassonne. Don't know much about it other than it isn't far from Toulouse and the flights were £10 return through Ryanair.

Ideal for a weekend away - will be fresh and maybe quite windy this time of year though.
I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:31 - Nov 17 with 4272 viewsBarcaBlue

Ljubljana is my latest favourite place but was also recently really impressed bu Padua and Innsbruck.
I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:37 - Nov 17 with 4256 viewsfactual_blue

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 14:15 - Nov 17 by SpruceMoose

Lisbon?

Bruges?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:45 - Nov 17 with 4246 viewsSpruceMoose

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:37 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

That'll be Moose Jaw, Canada. I'm from Moose Jaw, Suffolk.

We ain't friendly there.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:49 - Nov 17 with 4241 viewsLord_Lucan

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:25 - Nov 17 by Pinewoodblue

Weekend in Norwich, late Feb, would be a treat.

Seriously someone mentioned Carcassone can recommend it. Ryan air used to fly there direct from Stansted not sure they still do.

Carcassonne eh, third mention of the place.

What's so good about it?

Must admit it would take a lot to get me to France without a fishing rod in my hand.

I've just visited the Carcassonne tourist information and even on the English version half of it is in French, they just don't help themselves do they.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:51 - Nov 17 with 4237 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Did you intentionally word this like a lonely heart's advert ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:54 - Nov 17 with 4234 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 16:11 - Nov 17 by GlasgowBlue

My Mrs has booked a weekend away next month to a town in the south of France called Carcassonne. Don't know much about it other than it isn't far from Toulouse and the flights were £10 return through Ryanair.

Superb part of the world, spent many years grape picking in the region and it is steeped in history of the Knights Templar !

Roquebrun is a lovely little place in the foothills of the Pyrenees not far away and worth a drive !
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 17:59]

Login to get fewer ads

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:57 - Nov 17 with 4224 viewspistonbroke

Varna is ok
I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:58 - Nov 17 with 4224 viewsGlasgowBlue

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:54 - Nov 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Superb part of the world, spent many years grape picking in the region and it is steeped in history of the Knights Templar !

Roquebrun is a lovely little place in the foothills of the Pyrenees not far away and worth a drive !
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 17:59]

It seems to got some really positive reviews from folk on here and I recall Guthrum saying he was also there earlier this year so well done to Mrs GB for booking it.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:01 - Nov 17 with 4217 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:49 - Nov 17 by Lord_Lucan

Carcassonne eh, third mention of the place.

What's so good about it?

Must admit it would take a lot to get me to France without a fishing rod in my hand.

I've just visited the Carcassonne tourist information and even on the English version half of it is in French, they just don't help themselves do they.

Lovely castle, great restaurants, not to big either so easy to get around.

Edinburgh. Had a great time there also.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:02 - Nov 17 with 4212 viewsfactual_blue

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:45 - Nov 17 by SpruceMoose

That'll be Moose Jaw, Canada. I'm from Moose Jaw, Suffolk.

We ain't friendly there.

That's quite obvious.

Although the town's interesting reimaging of the pound shop is worth a visit. It's of course £15.99 land.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:10 - Nov 17 with 4195 viewsLord_Lucan

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:01 - Nov 17 by StochesStotasBlewe

Lovely castle, great restaurants, not to big either so easy to get around.

Edinburgh. Had a great time there also.

Mmmm

Feck it, I think I'll go to Haarlem.

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:13 - Nov 17 with 4188 viewsGuthrum

Vilnius. Old Town, Gediminas Tower, decent bars (Bix Baras good for the beers and rock music). Reasonably cheap. Many people speak English, plus signs in the centre of the city.

Day trip out to Trakai Castle.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 18:16]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:18 - Nov 17 with 4179 viewsGuthrum

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 15:34 - Nov 17 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks to all.

I think this is the first year since the 1981 final that I haven't been to Amsterdam but there is absolutely no way I could go there and not get on it. It's a complete no no. I was toying with going to Harlem but I know I would stay on the train. I have tried to go to Harlem before.

Seville and Valencia - been to both and wasn't that impressed with Seville, I thought I was central but maybe I wasn't.

Was more impressed with The Hague area than Amsterdam, having both Delft and the beach at Scheveningen just a tram-ride away (in opposite directions, but it's the same tram).
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 18:22]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:19 - Nov 17 with 4172 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Amman, Jordan......too far ?(5 hours)
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2008/apr/20/jordan.hotels

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:26 - Nov 17 with 4160 viewsLord_Lucan

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:19 - Nov 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Amman, Jordan......too far ?(5 hours)
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2008/apr/20/jordan.hotels

An interesting suggestion and one that ticks most boxes, the 5 hour flight is not an issue but the flight cost for a two or three day break is prohibitive I think.

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:40 - Nov 17 with 4135 viewsconnorscontract

What time of year?
What temperature extremes are acceptable?

What's LadyLucan's (or should that be "Your Nanny's"?) favourite food?

Quirky or mainstream?
Cool or traditional?
Peaceful or bustling?

I think you should watch a few episodes of Travel Man (Richard Ayoade's series (catch up on Channel 4 website)) with LadyLucan and then pick the one you like the look of.
I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:44 - Nov 17 with 4126 viewsGlasgowBlue

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:13 - Nov 17 by Guthrum

Vilnius. Old Town, Gediminas Tower, decent bars (Bix Baras good for the beers and rock music). Reasonably cheap. Many people speak English, plus signs in the centre of the city.

Day trip out to Trakai Castle.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 18:16]

Looks beautiful

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:59 - Nov 17 with 4107 viewsconnorscontract

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 18:40 - Nov 17 by connorscontract

What time of year?
What temperature extremes are acceptable?

What's LadyLucan's (or should that be "Your Nanny's"?) favourite food?

Quirky or mainstream?
Cool or traditional?
Peaceful or bustling?

I think you should watch a few episodes of Travel Man (Richard Ayoade's series (catch up on Channel 4 website)) with LadyLucan and then pick the one you like the look of.

But just to throw a few into the mix:

San Sebastian: amazing "Basque version of tapas" bar culture, washed down with a slightly fizzing dry white wine, the best value (and, higher up the scale several 3, 2 or 1 Michelin Star places, too). Just got a great buzzy feel to it.

Bordeaux: lots to see and do, including trips out to wine chateaux, museums, art galleries.

Reykjavik: just about worth the flight for two nights, but with more otherworldly experiences than anywhere else in Europe: outdoor thermal baths, walking through glaciers, watching whales, eating puffin.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Rome, but I'd also add Florence which has a huge amount of culture, art and history (and Pisa is nearby for a quick train trip if you want, too) the ice cream is stunning and you'll be able to understand at least half of any menu. If the two of you haven't been to Paris together for a romantic break then it is a must. Eurostar, definitely. Which is also an option to the under-rated Strasbourg (would have Christmas markets at this time of year) or (via Brussels) Bruges, which is beautiful and slightly pips Ghent (mentioned above) and both beat Brussels, in my opinion.

As above: Copenhagen, go across The Bridge to Malmo. Berlin is comsidered one of the coolest cities in the world (and the Western half of the city has a lot of the tourist stops).

Life's too short, innit?
I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 19:49 - Nov 17 with 4078 viewsgerard1947

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 17:58 - Nov 17 by GlasgowBlue

It seems to got some really positive reviews from folk on here and I recall Guthrum saying he was also there earlier this year so well done to Mrs GB for booking it.

Got me reading Kate Mosse's Languedoc trilogy, Sepulchre, Labyrinth and Citadel they're all set in that part of France. If you are into historical fiction they are great reads.
I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 13:29 - Nov 18 with 3956 viewsLord_Lucan

Sorted!

The French place intrigued me because three different people suggested it but when all said and done I'm not overly keen on them as a people.

I spoke with a Polish customer this morning and she suggested Wroclaw, coincidentally Leslaw the blue eyed Polish sparky has popped in to see me and apparently that's his home town and he says it is fantastic. So Wroclaw it is.

On googling the place it also appears they have one of the largest beer festival in the planet in May so I think a lads trip is also on the cards.

I love Poland and The Poles.

Fine people.

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 14:30 - Nov 18 with 3923 viewsPinewoodblue

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 13:29 - Nov 18 by Lord_Lucan

Sorted!

The French place intrigued me because three different people suggested it but when all said and done I'm not overly keen on them as a people.

I spoke with a Polish customer this morning and she suggested Wroclaw, coincidentally Leslaw the blue eyed Polish sparky has popped in to see me and apparently that's his home town and he says it is fantastic. So Wroclaw it is.

On googling the place it also appears they have one of the largest beer festival in the planet in May so I think a lads trip is also on the cards.

I love Poland and The Poles.

Fine people.

The French, or those of us who made the suggestion?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 14:35 - Nov 18 with 3919 viewsLord_Lucan

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 14:30 - Nov 18 by Pinewoodblue

The French, or those of us who made the suggestion?

Both.

I've just been googling the place and there is a supposedly amazing restaurant there that has no menu. You walk in, sit down and the chef pops over and asks what you fancy and he then cooks up a taste sensation.

Looking forward to it.

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 14:40 - Nov 18 with 3911 viewsPinewoodblue

I seek 2 day shortish haul break advice on 14:35 - Nov 18 by Lord_Lucan

Both.

I've just been googling the place and there is a supposedly amazing restaurant there that has no menu. You walk in, sit down and the chef pops over and asks what you fancy and he then cooks up a taste sensation.

Looking forward to it.

Old Town is really interesting, new town built in the time of Napoleon not so much so. Went in restaurant you mention but had to leave early as wife was unwell.....something she ate.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024