Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas 17:37 - Nov 17 with 3997 viewscaught-in-limbo

Our garage is being cleared out and chap is making noises about tools and making things.

Any recommendations for a good workbench suitable for cutting big bits of wood on and drilling holes in things?

(last time I asked about barbecues and then ignored everybody's advice and I'm regretting it now because the one we got is a pig to clean)

Any advice will be very welcome.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 17:55 - Nov 17 with 3971 viewsfactual_blue

My old work colleague Howler used to tell the story if his next door neighbour who got a Black & Decker workmate bench for Christmas.

Said neighbour proudly set the back up in the garden, clamped a piece of wood in, got his power saw, and set to work.

He finished sawing and unclamed the wood.

The bench promptly fell apart.

He'd managed to saw it in half.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:06 - Nov 17 with 3953 viewsGuthrum

For folding workbenches, most apart from the very cheap ones are pretty good. Think I paid about £50 for mine. Black & Decker Workmate the obvious classic.

For larger stuff (e.g. doors) recently bought myself a proper pair of trestles/saw horse. Saves a lot of swearing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:13 - Nov 17 with 3940 viewsRyorry

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:06 - Nov 17 by Guthrum

For folding workbenches, most apart from the very cheap ones are pretty good. Think I paid about £50 for mine. Black & Decker Workmate the obvious classic.

For larger stuff (e.g. doors) recently bought myself a proper pair of trestles/saw horse. Saves a lot of swearing.

A good bit of swearing can be very therapeutic tho (depending on your neighbours' attitudes ...)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:13 - Nov 17 with 3941 viewsSpruceMoose

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 17:55 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

My old work colleague Howler used to tell the story if his next door neighbour who got a Black & Decker workmate bench for Christmas.

Said neighbour proudly set the back up in the garden, clamped a piece of wood in, got his power saw, and set to work.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:17 - Nov 17 with 3927 viewsBenters

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:13 - Nov 17 by SpruceMoose

I wet myself ! What a funny story.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:19 - Nov 17 with 3927 viewsfactual_blue

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:17 - Nov 17 by Benters

I wet myself ! What a funny story.

You don't need a funny story to do that though, do you?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:19 - Nov 17 with 3924 viewsGuthrum

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:13 - Nov 17 by Ryorry

A good bit of swearing can be very therapeutic tho (depending on your neighbours' attitudes ...)

Not when it's getting dark, beginning to rain and you only have that day to get the doors trimmed (thank you carpet fitters).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:20 - Nov 17 with 3921 viewsSpruceMoose

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:19 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

I think there's a permanent aquatic ecosystem down there.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:20 - Nov 17 with 3921 viewsBenters

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:19 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

Kelly Brook.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:27 - Nov 17 with 3912 viewscaught-in-limbo

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:06 - Nov 17 by Guthrum

I think I'm probably a bit out of my depth here. I think I might just have to get him to choose what he wants.

Is the B&D Workmate actually any good or does to generally fall apart when you use it?

#toxic

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:40 - Nov 17 with 3881 viewsRyorry

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 18:19 - Nov 17 by Guthrum

Not when it's getting dark, beginning to rain and you only have that day to get the doors trimmed (thank you carpet fitters).

Ah ... yep, saw-horse good idea ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 20:05 - Nov 17 with 3826 viewsMedwayTractor

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 17:55 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

How ironic, because that's why the original workmate was invented, after the chap used one of his dining chairs as a saw horse & sawed it in half.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 20:17 - Nov 17 with 3805 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I take it you’ve seen Burn After Reading?
DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 20:26 - Nov 17 with 3797 viewsNewcyBlue

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cwb-r1-workbench-red/?da=1&TC=GS-040317705&gclid

Something like that with a bolt on vice would be my bet.

Can’t beat a couple of saw horses for the bigger stuff though.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 20:37 - Nov 17 with 3790 viewsEdwardStone

I got a couple of cheapie work benches from Wickes some years ago, like a black and decker "workmate", but smaller and a great deal cheaper.....they were good and lasted well, despite much building site use and abuse

I don't think they still do them, but just skimmed the B&Q website where they have a lightweight "Workmate" copy for under a tenner.....the reviews seem remarkably good

http://www.diy.com/departments/workmate-foldable-vice-jaw-clamp-workbench-w620mm

There are other slightly more robust ones available too, maybe a visit to your neighbourhood DIY big shed ( do they have Castorama where you are?, it's part of the B&Q empire) might help to identify something suitable
DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 21:40 - Nov 17 with 3758 viewssparks

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 20:37 - Nov 17 by EdwardStone

I got a couple of cheapie work benches from Wickes some years ago, like a black and decker "workmate", but smaller and a great deal cheaper.....they were good and lasted well, despite much building site use and abuse

I don't think they still do them, but just skimmed the B&Q website where they have a lightweight "Workmate" copy for under a tenner.....the reviews seem remarkably good

http://www.diy.com/departments/workmate-foldable-vice-jaw-clamp-workbench-w620mm

There are other slightly more robust ones available too, maybe a visit to your neighbourhood DIY big shed ( do they have Castorama where you are?, it's part of the B&Q empire) might help to identify something suitable

If there's any intention for serious projects it's cheaper and better to build one. Lots of YouTube video on how.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 21:45 - Nov 17 with 3753 viewssparks

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 21:40 - Nov 17 by sparks

If there's any intention for serious projects it's cheaper and better to build one. Lots of YouTube video on how.

If you want to buy you will get far better from somewhere like axminster tools than big brand rubbish. Google them.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 09:00 - Nov 18 with 3671 viewscaught-in-limbo

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 20:26 - Nov 17 by NewcyBlue

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cwb-r1-workbench-red/?da=1&TC=GS-040317705&gclid

Something like that with a bolt on vice would be my bet.

Can’t beat a couple of saw horses for the bigger stuff though.

Would you be able to put a vice on that table or would you have to get a table with a lip on it like this one:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cwb1700p-5-drawer-workbench/

Thanks Newcy

#toxic

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 09:03 - Nov 18 with 3668 viewscaught-in-limbo

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 20:37 - Nov 17 by EdwardStone

There's a Castorama over the border in France not far away. I'll check their online catalogue.

Big help, thanks McCE

#toxic

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 09:06 - Nov 18 with 3664 viewscaught-in-limbo

DIY advice - work bench + vice for Christmas on 21:45 - Nov 17 by sparks

If you want to buy you will get far better from somewhere like axminster tools than big brand rubbish. Google them.

I'll look into homemade benches.

I'll also ask at a local independent hardware shop, there's a couple of really good ones not far from me.

Will he need a workbench to make a homemade workbench?

Good advice, thanks Sparks.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024