Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Children in Need 18:47 - Nov 17 with 20836 viewsgtsb1966

Does anyone listen to radio 2 in the mornings. They had appeals from children who benefit from this event. You couldn't help but listen with a lump in your throat. Life can be so cruel. Their enthusiasm and determination was a lesson to us all. Made me realise I've got nothing to complain about.
Children in Need on 18:55 - Nov 17 with 10120 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yes. Been some very moving stories all week. Well done Chris Evans for getting all his celebrity mates to get involved. They raised £7 million this week through auctions didn't they?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Children in Need on 18:58 - Nov 17 with 10111 viewsgtsb1966

Children in Need on 18:55 - Nov 17 by GlasgowBlue

Yes. Been some very moving stories all week. Well done Chris Evans for getting all his celebrity mates to get involved. They raised £7 million this week through auctions didn't they?

They did well. The Rick Stein restaurant experience appealed to me. Shame I couldnt really afford 20 grand for a day out!!!!
Children in Need on 19:00 - Nov 17 with 10112 viewsRyorry

I also support the view which says that much of this funding should come from government, but at the same time I do think it raises good awareness of how disability affects individuals, esp in light of the increased attacks on disabled people (amongst others). Events can also foster wonderful community spirit & help bring local people together etc

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Children in Need on 19:04 - Nov 17 with 10096 viewsgtsb1966

Children in Need on 19:00 - Nov 17 by Ryorry

I also support the view which says that much of this funding should come from government, but at the same time I do think it raises good awareness of how disability affects individuals, esp in light of the increased attacks on disabled people (amongst others). Events can also foster wonderful community spirit & help bring local people together etc

I agree. I used to get angry to think we need to have marathon charity events to help the needy in our society when we waste so much money but now you see millions of school children raising money it serves as a great educational tool as well as a great cause.
Children in Need on 19:30 - Nov 17 with 10061 viewsfactual_blue

As Henning Wehn said last night 'In Germany we don't give to charity. We pay our taxes'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Children in Need on 19:35 - Nov 17 with 10048 viewshomer_123

Tax dodging multi millionaires on TV getting joe public to give what they won't.

The irony isn't lost on me.

That said....it's a cracking good cause and one I support. Two fingers to the tax dodgers....make 'me feel worse by showing how good joe public can be.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Children in Need on 20:24 - Nov 17 with 9975 viewsRegencyBlue

Fair point well made!
Children in Need on 20:52 - Nov 17 with 9938 viewsGlasgowBlue

Children in Need on 19:30 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

As Henning Wehn said last night 'In Germany we don't give to charity. We pay our taxes'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Charities_based_in_Germany

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Children in Need on 20:59 - Nov 17 with 9926 viewsimsureazzure

Children in need raises a lot of awareness and is well managed by the BBC.

Germans lecturing the world, oh the irony.
Children in Need on 21:06 - Nov 17 with 9906 viewsgtsb1966

Perhaps they should pay more then.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Charities_based_in_Germany
on 21:16 - Nov 17 with 9878 views_

Children in Need on 21:06 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

Children in Need on 21:17 - Nov 17 with 9881 viewsfactual_blue

Children in Need on 21:06 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

That would work were it not for the fact that Henning Wehn is what we call 'a comedian' and tells what we call 'jokes'.

Children in Need on 21:19 - Nov 17 with 9877 viewsgtsb1966

on 21:16 - Nov 17 by _

True.....and having the money spent better would be a help. Don't hold your breath though.
on 21:20 - Nov 17 with 9866 views_

Children in Need on 21:19 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

True.....and having the money spent better would be a help. Don't hold your breath though.

Children in Need on 21:22 - Nov 17 with 9861 viewsgtsb1966

Children in Need on 21:17 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

That would work were it not for the fact that Henning Wehn is what we call 'a comedian' and tells what we call 'jokes'.

Yes we know that.
Children in Need on 21:24 - Nov 17 with 9853 viewsfactual_blue

Children in Need on 21:22 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

Yes we know that.

Ohh.........you were trying a joke as well?

I think Henning's job is safe.

Children in Need on 21:27 - Nov 17 with 9838 viewsfactual_blue

Children in Need on 21:19 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

What would you stop or reduce spending on, and what would you start or increase spending on?

Children in Need on 21:32 - Nov 17 with 9839 viewsgtsb1966

Children in Need on 21:27 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

What would you stop or reduce spending on, and what would you start or increase spending on?

Stop...benefits for the work shy. Increase....health.
Children in Need on 21:39 - Nov 17 with 9824 viewsfactual_blue

Children in Need on 21:32 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

Define work shy.

What do you think would be the consequences stopping benefits for those you identify?

on 21:41 - Nov 17 with 9812 views_

Children in Need on 21:32 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

Children in Need on 21:45 - Nov 17 with 9812 viewsgtsb1966

Children in Need on 21:39 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

Define work shy.

What do you think would be the consequences stopping benefits for those you identify?

Workshy....people who feign illness to gain benefits. Just in case you're wondering I'm 51, voted Labour for most of my life, but see nothing from anyone to end this plague. Too many lazy barstewards exploiting too many loopholes.
Children in Need on 21:57 - Nov 17 with 9774 viewsStNeotsBlue

To get back on topic the tragic tale of Vanessa just now had me getting very itchy eyed and my daughter had a good blub. Get your wallet's out chaps.
Children in Need on 22:01 - Nov 17 with 9768 viewsfactual_blue

Children in Need on 21:45 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

Workshy....people who feign illness to gain benefits. Just in case you're wondering I'm 51, voted Labour for most of my life, but see nothing from anyone to end this plague. Too many lazy barstewards exploiting too many loopholes.

Most of those caught are given an administrative penalty rather than prosecuted, so what happens to them is 'invisible'. If they are falsely claiming benefits relayed to ill health or disability, they will be disqualified from that benefit, and have to claim the much lower benefits for unemployment. That brings into play possible sanctions for not actively seeking work.

They will also have to repay any overpaid benefits, usually by deductions from future benefits.

Around 8000 of the most serious cases a year are prosecuted. More aren't prosecuted because of the cost of doing so.

https://www.gov.uk/national-benefit-fraud-hotline
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 22:09]

Children in Need on 22:05 - Nov 17 with 9749 viewsEly_Blue

Children in Need on 19:35 - Nov 17 by homer_123

Tax dodging multi millionaires on TV getting joe public to give what they won't.

The irony isn't lost on me.

That said....it's a cracking good cause and one I support. Two fingers to the tax dodgers....make 'me feel worse by showing how good joe public can be.

Why are they tax dodgers? If the law allows for tax avoidance legally can you blame them for taking advantage? Please don’t tell me if you were able to legally avoid paying tax of some sort that you would say “oh no thank you I don’t want to keep £x extra per year, hey mr chancellor please take my money from me”.

People who complain about tax avoidance are just jealous that they can’t do this themselves

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

on 22:06 - Nov 17 with 9742 views_

Children in Need on 22:05 - Nov 17 by Ely_Blue

Why are they tax dodgers? If the law allows for tax avoidance legally can you blame them for taking advantage? Please don’t tell me if you were able to legally avoid paying tax of some sort that you would say “oh no thank you I don’t want to keep £x extra per year, hey mr chancellor please take my money from me”.

People who complain about tax avoidance are just jealous that they can’t do this themselves

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024