Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Children in Need 18:47 - Nov 17 with 20833 viewsgtsb1966

Does anyone listen to radio 2 in the mornings. They had appeals from children who benefit from this event. You couldn't help but listen with a lump in your throat. Life can be so cruel. Their enthusiasm and determination was a lesson to us all. Made me realise I've got nothing to complain about.
on 22:55 - Nov 17 with 4164 views_

Children in Need on 22:49 - Nov 17 by Swansea_Blue

Have you been living in a bubble Libby? Benefit cheats are caught and prosecuted all the time. Just do a trawl through news pages. No idea how big the problem is mind, but I suspect those who are caught are not the sum total.

*But* the system should be geared to those who need it, not designed to hinder frauds at the cost of genuine claimants. I've no experience personally, but hear enough grumblings via colleagues and extended family that suggest things are not right under the current Govt.

There's some shocking stories published in the press too. You have to recognise that these are not the bigger picture, but nonetheless people's lives are being ruined when the system fails.

I don't know what I'm trying to say really! Other than of course there are frauds - lots of court cases prove that. But yes, agree with you that the effect of a bad system is massive on those affected.

Children in Need on 22:55 - Nov 17 with 4172 viewsgtsb1966

on 22:46 - Nov 17 by _

That made me laugh. Devoid of context but showing a benefit cheat. Just accept there are are millions of people who need benefits yet thousands who shouldn't get a penny because they are lazy.
on 22:57 - Nov 17 with 4155 views_

Children in Need on 22:55 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

That made me laugh. Devoid of context but showing a benefit cheat. Just accept there are are millions of people who need benefits yet thousands who shouldn't get a penny because they are lazy.

Children in Need on 23:04 - Nov 17 with 4147 viewsgtsb1966

Children in Need on 22:50 - Nov 17 by BlueBadger

Ah, the University Of Life. Purveyors of the finest degrees in 'Stuff This Bloke Down The Pub Told Me' in the world.

Before you spout off it would be helpful if you knew what my job was and more importantly why I think this. P.s...being a local Industry you won't get that information.
on 23:06 - Nov 17 with 4131 views_

Children in Need on 23:04 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

Before you spout off it would be helpful if you knew what my job was and more importantly why I think this. P.s...being a local Industry you won't get that information.

Children in Need on 23:09 - Nov 17 with 4131 viewsgtsb1966

on 23:06 - Nov 17 by _

I do. I also know the scams.
Children in Need on 23:15 - Nov 17 with 4123 viewsStNeotsBlue

Children in Need on 22:54 - Nov 17 by BlueBadger

The numbers are vanishing small with regards to the budget as a whole. As Facters points out, it's currently estimated that the fraud and error spend on the DWP budget is 1.9%. The current assessments scheme is currently enormously flawed with 65% of appeals against sanction or disability assessment successful. That's an enormous waste, right there.

I agree the numbers are small but they are massive in their effect in how they change the general public perception of people who find themselves in a position where they need to claim benefits. A better system to do this effectively is needed but the current fudge is the worst of all scenarios.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 23:23]
on 23:15 - Nov 17 with 4116 views_

Children in Need on 23:09 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

Login to get fewer ads

Children in Need on 23:19 - Nov 17 with 4105 viewsbournemouthblue

Children in Need on 22:05 - Nov 17 by Ely_Blue

Why are they tax dodgers? If the law allows for tax avoidance legally can you blame them for taking advantage? Please don’t tell me if you were able to legally avoid paying tax of some sort that you would say “oh no thank you I don’t want to keep £x extra per year, hey mr chancellor please take my money from me”.

People who complain about tax avoidance are just jealous that they can’t do this themselves

That £3 million Lewis Hamilton saved was put to a good cause wasn't it?

Just because you can get away with it, doesn't make it any more morally reprehensible

We need a culture of giving something back rather than pure capitalist greed, we really have lost the plot in this country

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

on 23:21 - Nov 17 with 4089 views_

Children in Need on 23:19 - Nov 17 by bournemouthblue

That £3 million Lewis Hamilton saved was put to a good cause wasn't it?

Just because you can get away with it, doesn't make it any more morally reprehensible

We need a culture of giving something back rather than pure capitalist greed, we really have lost the plot in this country

Children in Need on 23:22 - Nov 17 with 4093 viewsgtsb1966

on 23:15 - Nov 17 by _

Not me thankfully. I did ask the board where to put a few grand a year ago as the interest rates are low. Facters suggested premium bonds so I did. Won about £800 since. Need interest rates to shoot up.
on 23:25 - Nov 17 with 4076 views_

Children in Need on 23:22 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

Not me thankfully. I did ask the board where to put a few grand a year ago as the interest rates are low. Facters suggested premium bonds so I did. Won about £800 since. Need interest rates to shoot up.

Children in Need on 23:29 - Nov 17 with 4071 viewsgtsb1966

on 23:25 - Nov 17 by _

Im too scared to invest. Took me 31 years to get my pension. Ain't going to lose it on a hunch. Cheers .😁
Children in Need on 23:33 - Nov 17 with 4060 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Children in Need on 23:09 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

One of the best ones if you work away is to split up with your Mrs. You can have them pay the interest on your mortgage for three years (or maybe it’s until the youngest turns 5), no council tax, more tax credits, etc. Have to do CSA but that comes back to you anyway.

At least that’s what I’ve been told
on 23:36 - Nov 17 with 4041 views_

Children in Need on 23:29 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

Im too scared to invest. Took me 31 years to get my pension. Ain't going to lose it on a hunch. Cheers .😁

Children in Need on 23:43 - Nov 17 with 4038 viewsgtsb1966

on 23:36 - Nov 17 by _

My youngest daughter works at Ipswich hospital. Her wages for her responsibilities are atrocious. If you are a home owner aim big to eventually downgrade if you can. My daughter can't even do that.
Children in Need on 04:13 - Nov 18 with 3974 viewsRyorry

Children in Need on 21:57 - Nov 17 by StNeotsBlue

To get back on topic the tragic tale of Vanessa just now had me getting very itchy eyed and my daughter had a good blub. Get your wallet's out chaps.

It was Jack with the terminally ill sister; the other wee lad who'd lost his bro; and the hundreds of children, many very young, who are pretty much the sole carer for a parent, who got to me early doors (I didn't see the later stuff).. Absolutely gut-wrenching, and those wee kids had me feeling so humble and in awe of them I can't describe it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Children in Need on 04:46 - Nov 18 with 3963 viewsBenters

Children in Need on 23:04 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

How did a thread full of good will and niceness end up like this?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Children in Need on 04:53 - Nov 18 with 3963 viewsBenters

Children in Need on 22:50 - Nov 17 by BlueBadger

Ah, the University Of Life. Purveyors of the finest degrees in 'Stuff This Bloke Down The Pub Told Me' in the world.

I see... King of the Trolls doing his best work again!

Gentlybentley

Children in Need on 05:00 - Nov 18 with 3965 viewsjeera

Children in Need on 04:53 - Nov 18 by Benters

Why don't you actually make the effort to read the thread for once before making daft, insignificant comments?

I'm actually dismayed at some of the flippant and downright stupid, ill-informed comments from people who offer one of 2 anecdotes with little idea of what they're talking about, despite claiming otherwise.

If they knew better, they would maybe be a bit embarrassed at how the so called system works.

And you, having reported being mistreated yourself by these private firms who assume you're some crook, despite obvious illness, should know better.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 5:01]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Children in Need on 05:04 - Nov 18 with 3955 viewsBenters

Children in Need on 05:00 - Nov 18 by jeera

Why don't you actually make the effort to read the thread for once before making daft, insignificant comments?

I'm actually dismayed at some of the flippant and downright stupid, ill-informed comments from people who offer one of 2 anecdotes with little idea of what they're talking about, despite claiming otherwise.

If they knew better, they would maybe be a bit embarrassed at how the so called system works.

And you, having reported being mistreated yourself by these private firms who assume you're some crook, despite obvious illness, should know better.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 5:01]

Was i talking to you?

Is Badger your hero or something?

Ive read the thread and i can see where it started to go a little bit nasty,thank you.

Enjoy your day.

Gentlybentley

Children in Need on 05:32 - Nov 18 with 3944 viewsRyorry

Children in Need on 04:46 - Nov 18 by Benters

How did a thread full of good will and niceness end up like this?

I can't help wondering what those wee kids shown in the various bits of film would make of some of the petty bickering in this thread.

Think "life's too short" might cross their minds.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Children in Need on 05:54 - Nov 18 with 3926 viewsBenters

Children in Need on 05:32 - Nov 18 by Ryorry

I can't help wondering what those wee kids shown in the various bits of film would make of some of the petty bickering in this thread.

Indeed Ryorry.

Gentlybentley

Children in Need on 06:22 - Nov 18 with 3918 viewsTLA

Children in Need on 05:32 - Nov 18 by Ryorry

Good point Ryorry.

I think there is a good discussion to be had about Children in Need, just like there is with food banks and lots of other charitable causes. It just seems like the discussions on here degenerate into stuff that detracts from the point being made.

I liked the meme that someone posted ages ago, raising the point that we could give the billions spent on Trident to support vulnerable children and then have a telethon to raise money for nuclear weapons. I know life isn't that simple but it makes an interesting discussion point.

However, things turn sour between people so quickly. It surprises me because everyone I've met or talked to away from the board seem brilliant and I love chatting to people 1-1 who all have very different outlooks.

Different views are fine if there's a bit of respect.
Children in Need on 06:54 - Nov 18 with 3911 viewsfactual_blue

Children in Need on 04:53 - Nov 18 by Benters

Don't worry Benters, he hasn't stolen your crown as Queen of the Trolls.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024