Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poor game that 18:18 - Nov 18 with 12274 viewsBrixtonBlue

As happy as I am with a point, that was like two mid table teams with nothing to play for. We're not making the play offs on that evidence. Just too many bog standard Championship players. Anyone with a bit of quality would've put hull to the sword today.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This post I can relate to more (n/t) on 09:53 - Nov 19 with 4560 viewsDyland

Poor game that on 18:23 - Nov 18 by hadleighboyblue

It sounded very poor on the radio , a game we really should have won , but in the end lucky to get a point .

To hear MM's comments , he seemed happy with the performance , according to him , Hull are a very good team - but the league table tells a different story .

Sorry but he is not getting the best out of what we have got ................we need someone with fresh ideas

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Poor game that on 10:00 - Nov 19 with 4555 viewsBergholtBru

Poor game that on 18:28 - Nov 18 by StokieBlue

No idea why anyone would downvote for that fair assessment.

Some weirdos on here.

SB

Voted down mainly because as we currently sit just a point of the play-offs and on the back of what was basically a decent away point I find it a somewhat negative post. In keeping with many others. If that`s weird then fine!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Poor game that on 10:02 - Nov 19 with 4556 viewsGuthrum

Poor game that on 08:54 - Nov 19 by Johnny_Boy

The table can lie or deceive sometimes. Teams can be falsely in a higher position than they realistically should be. Where are Derby now? 7th! Depth of squad dictates.

I see what you're getting at, but I would argue that our current position does demonstrate a depth in our squad not seen for some years. We had a massive slew of injuries (particularly in defence) and the form of some players has not completely recovered even since returning. And yet we have maintained a respectable position.

Plus a lot of it is about trajectories. Derby are on an upward swing after an average start. Leeds have gone in the opposite direction. We've dipped a bit from the fantastic opening, but are generally bobbling aroundabout the same position, 8thish (or, you could even argue, we've had a slight dip and are trending upwards again).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Poor game that on 10:18 - Nov 19 with 4530 viewsBrixtonBlue

Poor game that on 10:00 - Nov 19 by BergholtBru

Voted down mainly because as we currently sit just a point of the play-offs and on the back of what was basically a decent away point I find it a somewhat negative post. In keeping with many others. If that`s weird then fine!

I didn't comment on our position. I commented on the performance.

I'm not a negative poster and I feel I've posted on yesterday's game in an even handed manner. Sorry if you can't handle the truth.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Poor game that on 10:21 - Nov 19 with 4527 viewsGuthrum

Poor game that on 09:24 - Nov 19 by BrixtonBlue

Of course it does, if only taking a small sample. It's perfectly possible to have a run where you've been a bit lucky and therefore be in a higher position than you otherwise would.

I wouldn't say 16/17 games out of 46 - some 36% - is a particularly small sample. A considerable degree of averaging has happened.

Indeed, with ITFC we're seeing the average of one extremely good run and one similarly poor, both four matches in length, otherwise with a pretty even split of points (48.1% of the available in the remaining 9 games).

Accruing half of the available points in a season will usually leave a team in around 8th place, plus or minus a couple (69 is what we managed in 2015-16, finishing 7th). It would only take us one extra win (bearing in mind we have a game in hand over most of the rest of the division) to put Ipswich in serious contention for a play-off place.

Poor game that on 10:26 - Nov 19 with 4520 viewsBrixtonBlue

Poor game that on 10:21 - Nov 19 by Guthrum

I wouldn't say 16/17 games out of 46 - some 36% - is a particularly small sample. A considerable degree of averaging has happened.

Indeed, with ITFC we're seeing the average of one extremely good run and one similarly poor, both four matches in length, otherwise with a pretty even split of points (48.1% of the available in the remaining 9 games).

Accruing half of the available points in a season will usually leave a team in around 8th place, plus or minus a couple (69 is what we managed in 2015-16, finishing 7th). It would only take us one extra win (bearing in mind we have a game in hand over most of the rest of the division) to put Ipswich in serious contention for a play-off place.

Cold stats don't tell the story of what is happening on the pitch.

The only table that matters is the one in May. Ipswich (and Hull) will finish around 14th. I'll have a charity bet with you on that if you fancy it.

Poor game that on 10:51 - Nov 19 with 4506 viewsGuthrum

Poor game that on 10:26 - Nov 19 by BrixtonBlue

Cold stats don't tell the story of what is happening on the pitch.

The only table that matters is the one in May. Ipswich (and Hull) will finish around 14th. I'll have a charity bet with you on that if you fancy it.

What's happening on the pitch is that we're often not playing at all well, but still, so far, managing to win half our games (while losing virtually all the rest, just the one draw).

I don't think it's down to pure "luck" (e.g. massively deflected crosses going in, or bizarre own goals). For me, it's having a strike-force (Waghorn, McGoldrick, now Celina as well) who know how to put the ball in the net, with they and others (Garner, the full-backs, sometimes Ward) providing the mutual support in the area to create chances. The rest of the game might be awful, but we can make those moments count and seize a positive result.

I'm quite happy to put £10 (to a charity of your choice) on us finishing tenth or better, as long as the club doesn't wreck things by selling crucial players in January!

Poor game that on 10:55 - Nov 19 with 4496 viewsBergholtBru

Poor game that on 10:18 - Nov 19 by BrixtonBlue

I didn't comment on our position. I commented on the performance.

I'm not a negative poster and I feel I've posted on yesterday's game in an even handed manner. Sorry if you can't handle the truth.

You said "too many bog standard championship players". That`s a comment on the club as a whole. Not yesterdays performance. If that`s the case then how come we`re doing so well. Sorry if you can`t handle different opinions to your own.

Login to get fewer ads

Poor game that on 11:21 - Nov 19 with 4484 viewsBrixtonBlue

Poor game that on 10:51 - Nov 19 by Guthrum

What's happening on the pitch is that we're often not playing at all well, but still, so far, managing to win half our games (while losing virtually all the rest, just the one draw).

I don't think it's down to pure "luck" (e.g. massively deflected crosses going in, or bizarre own goals). For me, it's having a strike-force (Waghorn, McGoldrick, now Celina as well) who know how to put the ball in the net, with they and others (Garner, the full-backs, sometimes Ward) providing the mutual support in the area to create chances. The rest of the game might be awful, but we can make those moments count and seize a positive result.

I'm quite happy to put £10 (to a charity of your choice) on us finishing tenth or better, as long as the club doesn't wreck things by selling crucial players in January!

Done. £10 to MIND from you if we finish lower than 10th, £10 from me if we finish 10th or higher.

Poor game that on 11:25 - Nov 19 with 4474 viewsBrixtonBlue

Poor game that on 10:55 - Nov 19 by BergholtBru

You said "too many bog standard championship players". That`s a comment on the club as a whole. Not yesterdays performance. If that`s the case then how come we`re doing so well. Sorry if you can`t handle different opinions to your own.

No. I was commenting on the game. I was quite explicit in that.

Did you go to the game? If not your "different opinion" is worth nothing.

Poor game that on 11:59 - Nov 19 with 4455 viewsBergholtBru

Poor game that on 11:25 - Nov 19 by BrixtonBlue

No. I was commenting on the game. I was quite explicit in that.

Did you go to the game? If not your "different opinion" is worth nothing.

Have it your way then!

Poor game that on 12:07 - Nov 19 with 4451 viewsBenters

Poor game that on 11:59 - Nov 19 by BergholtBru

Have it your way then!

Grumpy

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Poor game that on 13:32 - Nov 19 with 4413 viewsBrixtonBlue

Poor game that on 11:59 - Nov 19 by BergholtBru

Have it your way then!

Thanks. Glad you've seen sense.

Poor game that on 13:39 - Nov 19 with 4408 viewsGuthrum

Poor game that on 11:21 - Nov 19 by BrixtonBlue

Done. £10 to MIND from you if we finish lower than 10th, £10 from me if we finish 10th or higher.

Agreed. Remind me at the end of the season,
[Post edited 19 Nov 2017 13:40]

Poor game that on 14:58 - Nov 19 with 4380 viewsDarth_Koont

It wasn't that bad. We tried to play some decent stuff at times and pretty much a good Championship away performance

Hull were still dangerous on the counter but perhaps even more disjointed than we were even as the home side. I think that's what made the game look scrappy.

Pronouns: He/Him

Poor game that on 16:03 - Nov 19 with 4363 viewsBrixtonBlue

Poor game that on 14:58 - Nov 19 by Darth_Koont

It wasn't that bad. We tried to play some decent stuff at times and pretty much a good Championship away performance

Hull were still dangerous on the counter but perhaps even more disjointed than we were even as the home side. I think that's what made the game look scrappy.

The passing was terrible from both sides on occasions. There was very little skill involved. I dunno what "decent stuff" you were watching. If that was on TV I would've turned over.

No, it wasn't a good Championship away performance. How low have your standards got?! Hull were there for the taking but we were just as bad. Their fans were singing "You must be rubbish, we're winning at home".

The taxi driver who took us to the ground said we ought to win as Hull are terrible. I commented, "Yeah, but we're Ipswich".

That's how it panned out.

People need to stop making excuses. We are an average Championship team and if things stay as they are we'll be in the same place for the next 16 years..

Poor game that on 16:06 - Nov 19 with 4358 viewsDarth_Koont

Poor game that on 16:03 - Nov 19 by BrixtonBlue

The passing was terrible from both sides on occasions. There was very little skill involved. I dunno what "decent stuff" you were watching. If that was on TV I would've turned over.

No, it wasn't a good Championship away performance. How low have your standards got?! Hull were there for the taking but we were just as bad. Their fans were singing "You must be rubbish, we're winning at home".

The taxi driver who took us to the ground said we ought to win as Hull are terrible. I commented, "Yeah, but we're Ipswich".

That's how it panned out.

People need to stop making excuses. We are an average Championship team and if things stay as they are we'll be in the same place for the next 16 years..

You're getting carried away.

Poor game that on 16:16 - Nov 19 with 4348 viewsBrixtonBlue

Poor game that on 16:06 - Nov 19 by Darth_Koont

You're getting carried away.

No, I'm speaking the truth. Take off the blue-tinted specs.

We'll finish 14th ish, because that's how good we are. I've had a bet for MIND with Guthers, happy to have one with you as well.

We've been bog-standard Championship fodder for years and we still are.

Poor game that on 16:25 - Nov 19 with 4339 viewsDarth_Koont

Poor game that on 16:16 - Nov 19 by BrixtonBlue

We'll finish 14th ish, because that's how good we are. I've had a bet for MIND with Guthers, happy to have one with you as well.

That's up to you and how you choose to see us.

I see a side that has played a third of the season without one or two absolutely critical midfielders.

Poor game that on 16:34 - Nov 19 with 4321 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Poor game that on 16:25 - Nov 19 by Darth_Koont

That's up to you and how you choose to see us.

I see a side that has played a third of the season without one or two absolutely critical midfielders.

With football finances as they are all players are critical. Teams don’t really have ‘reserve’ players any more. All teams suffer from injuries too so having a couple out is no excuse.
Poor game that on 16:35 - Nov 19 with 4317 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Poor game that on 16:16 - Nov 19 by BrixtonBlue

Bog standard Championship fodder isn’t a bad level though is it?
Poor game that on 16:58 - Nov 19 with 4298 viewsDarth_Koont

Poor game that on 16:34 - Nov 19 by FrowsyArmLarry

With football finances as they are all players are critical. Teams don’t really have ‘reserve’ players any more. All teams suffer from injuries too so having a couple out is no excuse.

With all due respect, I disagree.

Huws and Adeyemi were important signings in midfield and missing both of them along with Dozzell, Bishop and Hyam all unavailable too has a huge impact. We're talking about 5 first-teamers missing in central midfield for almost the whole season ... so in touch with the play-offs is a good effort.

Poor game that on 17:04 - Nov 19 with 4290 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Poor game that on 16:58 - Nov 19 by Darth_Koont

With all due respect, I disagree.

Huws and Adeyemi were important signings in midfield and missing both of them along with Dozzell, Bishop and Hyam all unavailable too has a huge impact. We're talking about 5 first-teamers missing in central midfield for almost the whole season ... so in touch with the play-offs is a good effort.

Out of that lot only Huws was really expected to get a lot of games. Have Bishop and Hyan even got squad numbers?
Poor game that on 17:34 - Nov 19 with 4272 viewsDarth_Koont

Poor game that on 17:04 - Nov 19 by FrowsyArmLarry

Out of that lot only Huws was really expected to get a lot of games. Have Bishop and Hyan even got squad numbers?

Adeyemi too - and I suspect Dozzell would have carried on getting starts.

Nydam, Downes, Connolly and Bru have all come in and done well but these are our 5th and 6th choice players in central midfield.

Poor game that on 19:22 - Nov 19 with 4187 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Poor game that on 17:34 - Nov 19 by Darth_Koont

Adeyemi too - and I suspect Dozzell would have carried on getting starts.

Nydam, Downes, Connolly and Bru have all come in and done well but these are our 5th and 6th choice players in central midfield.

Exactly, I’m saying all our players should be good enough to play
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024