Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paracetamol / NHS 11:04 - Nov 21 with 9770 viewsgiant_stow

Someone I know got out of hospital yesterday after having both kneecaps replaced (had them done on Thurs and was treated beyond well in a state of the art NHS hospital, so this isn't a rant). On leaving they told her that they don't give out Paracetamol has it costs a few pence in the shop, but the NHS pays £9.20 per packet.

I just don't understand how that can be? Anyone know why that's the price? Are all drugs that much to the NHS?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:05 - Nov 21 with 6702 viewsStokieBlue

Given it's out of copyright and that's why it costs 20p in Boots I don't see how that can be correct.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:06 - Nov 21 with 6695 viewsipswich78

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:05 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

Given it's out of copyright and that's why it costs 20p in Boots I don't see how that can be correct.

SB

It is correct. I don't know the ins and outs, but would guess it's do with contracts and who the NHS has to buy various drugs from... My wife works for the NHS and she has told me a similar story.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Paracetamol / NHS (n/t) on 11:06 - Nov 21 with 6694 viewsLord_Lucan

SB

I don't know the answer but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a blanket price to NHS inasmuch as they end up paying more than the cost for some drugs and less than cost for others - I have no idea but nothing surprises me.

You do hear of some ridiculous stories of examples like The MOD paying £30 for a light bulb, while I am sure that many instances are made up I am confident that many aren't.

Having said that if I had a free knee operation I would expect to go and buy my own paracetamol.

I don't know why this just popped up in my head (I think I started thinking about parking fees at hospitals) but why do blue badge holders get free parking everywhere they go?
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 11:11]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:07 - Nov 21 with 6683 viewsgiant_stow

SB

I sh1t you not. This was word for word from the main nurse who'd been looking after her - its policy at UCH on Euston road.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:08 - Nov 21 with 6676 viewsStokieBlue

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:06 - Nov 21 by ipswich78

It is correct. I don't know the ins and outs, but would guess it's do with contracts and who the NHS has to buy various drugs from... My wife works for the NHS and she has told me a similar story.

In which case it would seem that whilst the funding of the NHS is an issue the negotiation of contracts is an equally big issue.

Maybe best sort out some of this sourcing before pouring good money after bad?

That is a totally insane price for a non-protected medicine.

SB

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:09 - Nov 21 with 6665 viewschicoazul

I am not certain but I *believe* that the cost quoted would include the logistical cost and storage cost. I do not think the NHS pays £9.20 for paracetemol but rather that it costs the NHS that amount to *give* paracetamol which is a different thing if you think about it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:11 - Nov 21 with 6654 viewsAxeldalai_lama

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nhs-70-million-paracetamol-last-ye
Paracetamol / NHS on 11:12 - Nov 21 with 6644 viewsgiant_stow

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:09 - Nov 21 by chicoazul

I am not certain but I *believe* that the cost quoted would include the logistical cost and storage cost. I do not think the NHS pays £9.20 for paracetemol but rather that it costs the NHS that amount to *give* paracetamol which is a different thing if you think about it.

I was wondering whether it might be that, but then why is it so much cheaper and easier for Boots to do the same logistics and storage?

Login to get fewer ads

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:12 - Nov 21 with 6638 viewsblue_oyster

There's a massive problem with NHS overpaying vast amounts for what were previously affordable drugs, because of government incompetence. Bear this in mind the next time they say they are 'spending record amounts' on the NHS. This is where it goes.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Paracetamol / NHS (n/t) on 11:13 - Nov 21 with 6635 viewsgiant_stow

Paracetamol / NHS (n/t) on 11:06 - Nov 21 by Lord_Lucan

I don't know the answer but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a blanket price to NHS inasmuch as they end up paying more than the cost for some drugs and less than cost for others - I have no idea but nothing surprises me.

You do hear of some ridiculous stories of examples like The MOD paying £30 for a light bulb, while I am sure that many instances are made up I am confident that many aren't.

Having said that if I had a free knee operation I would expect to go and buy my own paracetamol.

I don't know why this just popped up in my head (I think I started thinking about parking fees at hospitals) but why do blue badge holders get free parking everywhere they go?

"Having said that if I had a free knee operation I would expect to go and buy my own paracetamol. "

Of course! Its an obvious way to save costs, but I was thinking more about all the pills she had while in there. I mean how much was the bludy Morphine ffs?!

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:14 - Nov 21 with 6628 viewschicoazul

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:12 - Nov 21 by giant_stow

I was wondering whether it might be that, but then why is it so much cheaper and easier for Boots to do the same logistics and storage?

No idea blud. Maybe the often quoted price would include every single cost of every single person handling that packet of drugs including pension liability?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:16 - Nov 21 with 6622 viewsgiant_stow

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:06 - Nov 21 by ipswich78

Why can a man with a van just go round stocking all the hospitals up on the quiet at a quid a packet and screw the contracts?!

(rhetorical)

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:19 - Nov 21 with 6608 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:14 - Nov 21 by chicoazul

No idea blud. Maybe the often quoted price would include every single cost of every single person handling that packet of drugs including pension liability?

Reading the comments on the independent article I posted it seems to be they can prescribe larger quantities and that within the NHS and pharmacies they have a surcharge to cover community funds or something which I don't claim to understand.
It's for patients who would otherwise have to go to the shop every other day because of selling restrictions, plus a surcharge that seems to be compulsary.
Paracetamol / NHS on 11:24 - Nov 21 with 6571 viewsfactual_blue

That's probably a slightly simplistic figure, as a lot of the Paracetamol the NHS uses is intravenous solution which I daresay is more than a few pence per dose.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:29 - Nov 21 with 6533 viewsWeWereZombies

Why didn't she ask for aspirin instead?

Or whisky...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:31 - Nov 21 with 6519 viewsGeoffSentence

A friend of mine had an operation privately a couple of years ago, I forget exactly how much he was charged for a single paracetamol afterwards but it was staggering, something the £60.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:35 - Nov 21 with 6503 viewsStokieBlue

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:24 - Nov 21 by factual_blue

That's probably a slightly simplistic figure, as a lot of the Paracetamol the NHS uses is intravenous solution which I daresay is more than a few pence per dose.

In this example the nurse told them that was the cost of the paracetamol they could take home so not sure your example really fits?

I am sure it's more expensive but not what she was talking about.

SB

Paracetamol / NHS (n/t) on 11:37 - Nov 21 with 6491 viewsBenters

Paracetamol / NHS (n/t) on 11:06 - Nov 21 by Lord_Lucan

When i started my Chemo i had to stay in Hospital 24/7 one week on one off that kind of thing.

Anyway i had my own room and my bulb went on my bedside lamp,so i asked the nurse to change it,they werent allowed and said they would report it and get a contractor in,so i asked him to get a bulb and i changed the fkn thing myself.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:37 - Nov 21 with 6496 viewsPinewoodblue

The annoying thing is they only let you buy two small packets.

PS

My wife gets Paracetamol of prescription, along with her morphine etc She takes 2x 4 times a day, they are packaged in boxes of 100 and they squeeze an extra dozen into the box

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:43 - Nov 21 with 6470 viewsitfcjoe

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:35 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

In this example the nurse told them that was the cost of the paracetamol they could take home so not sure your example really fits?

I am sure it's more expensive but not what she was talking about.

SB

I think what has happened has been misinterpreted here...

We had the same when my wife had an operation - and they said you may as well buy the paracetamol at the shop (including the one in the hospital) because if they prescribe it to you then you have to pay the normal prescription cost - which presumably is now £9.20.

Obviously if you were pregnant, or U18, or unemployed or whatever other allowances they are they could prescribe it for free, but in most cases it's better just to buy it over the counter

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:45 - Nov 21 with 6449 viewsBenters

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:37 - Nov 21 by Pinewoodblue

PS

My wife gets Paracetamol of prescription, along with her morphine etc She takes 2x 4 times a day, they are packaged in boxes of 100 and they squeeze an extra dozen into the box

I used to have those big boxes.

I also had a card sent to me by the Great NHS so i could get free tabs and medication.

It runs out on Dec 7th man those 5 years have gone quick!

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:48 - Nov 21 with 6431 viewsusm

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:43 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

I think what has happened has been misinterpreted here...

We had the same when my wife had an operation - and they said you may as well buy the paracetamol at the shop (including the one in the hospital) because if they prescribe it to you then you have to pay the normal prescription cost - which presumably is now £9.20.

Obviously if you were pregnant, or U18, or unemployed or whatever other allowances they are they could prescribe it for free, but in most cases it's better just to buy it over the counter

Prescriptions are £8.60 - or at least they were this morning.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:50 - Nov 21 with 6426 viewsBOjK

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:37 - Nov 21 by Pinewoodblue

PS

I discovered - by chance - that if you by ibuprofen over the counter they sell you them in greater quantities. I was offered either 48 or 96.

May well be the same with paracetemol (unless high quantities of ibuprofen are safer).

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:54 - Nov 21 with 6395 viewshomer_123

Standard prescription cost.

Any erstwhile chemist will review your prescription and advise you if you can buy cheaper over the counter.

There is strong evidence to support two things:

1. NHS overpaying for drugs by not being efficient
2. NHS overpaying for drugs based on monopolies and price fixing

That being said, paracetamol isn't one of those - it's simply cheaper to buy it over the counter and the advise from the doctor or nurse in this situ is sound and sage.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Paracetamol / NHS on 12:00 - Nov 21 with 6373 viewsMedwayTractor

On a slightly different tack, I had a night in hospital in July for a gut problem. When the drug trolley came round in the evening and the following morning, I was given a little paper cup containing 3 or 4 pills. I take one blood pressure pill each evening, so I asked what the others were for, to be told that one was a painkiller. I insisted that I was not in pain, so declined this kind offer. If every patient is given (and takes) unnecessary drugs, no wonder the NHS has a money shortage.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024