Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black Friday's first death 09:00 - Nov 22 with 2936 viewsartsbossbeard

It's got to happen soon, surely. People simply go mad.

I'm going for Tesco's Wakefield over a Kodak 42" HD Ready TV, which is about a tenner cheaper than it was when last on the shelf 6 months ago.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Black Friday's first death on 09:04 - Nov 22 with 2906 viewshype313

Which? Said yesterday

"Many items discounted over the Black Friday weekend can be found for the same price or cheaper at other times of the year, a Which? investigation has revealed. Despite many Black Friday shoppers rushing to purchase items in the belief that it’s the cheapest time to buy coveted new products, we’ve found that for the majority of discounts this isn’t strictly true. We tracked a year of pricing data for 35 of the most popular tech, home and personal care products that were on sale over Black Friday weekend in 2016. Our investigation revealed that 60% of those items were sold for the same price or cheaper at other times during the year.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Black Friday's first death on 09:11 - Nov 22 with 2883 viewsvapour_trail

Black Friday's first death on 09:04 - Nov 22 by hype313

Which? Said yesterday

"Many items discounted over the Black Friday weekend can be found for the same price or cheaper at other times of the year, a Which? investigation has revealed. Despite many Black Friday shoppers rushing to purchase items in the belief that it’s the cheapest time to buy coveted new products, we’ve found that for the majority of discounts this isn’t strictly true. We tracked a year of pricing data for 35 of the most popular tech, home and personal care products that were on sale over Black Friday weekend in 2016. Our investigation revealed that 60% of those items were sold for the same price or cheaper at other times during the year.

Reports of very strong correlation between Black Friday shoppers and brexiteers are described as credible but unsubstantiated.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Black Friday's first death on 09:19 - Nov 22 with 2868 viewsSteve_M

Which? Said yesterday

Last year many British retailers decided to spread discounts over a wider period and there wasn't the frenzy of the two years preceding it. I think that many people have also realised that a £40 TV for £20 isn't enough of a bargain to get excited about.

Is it just journalists perpetuating the hype now?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Black Friday's first death on 09:22 - Nov 22 with 2858 viewsSaleAway

Try not to forget the real story of Black Friday, when Jesus stormed the temple and punched an old man in the face for 20% off a Nespresso.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Black Friday's first death on 09:30 - Nov 22 with 2829 viewsbritbiker

Doesn't seem to be black Friday anymore as all the adds appear to have at least two to three weeks shelf life bring it firmly into Xmas sales period then new year sales etc etc
Lets not forget that retailers are not in this to loose money, the goods are usually stuff that has become older stock (TV) or goods bought in cheap especially for sales. You may get a deal if it's to hook you in hoping for wider purchasers and you have enough self control to buy only what you need.
Black Friday's first death on 09:31 - Nov 22 with 2829 viewsGuthrum

Which? Said yesterday

Moreover, the brands on offer (e.g. the flat screen TVs everyone was raving about a couple of years ago) are often not of particularly high quality - as some people discovered when trying to re-sell on ebay shortly after.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Black Friday's first death on 12:22 - Nov 22 with 2719 viewsuefacup81

Black Friday's first death on 09:31 - Nov 22 by Guthrum

Moreover, the brands on offer (e.g. the flat screen TVs everyone was raving about a couple of years ago) are often not of particularly high quality - as some people discovered when trying to re-sell on ebay shortly after.

You mean my Sooni 50" flatscreen was never worth £600 in the first place, let alone the £300 it's being sold for now?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Black Friday's first death on 12:27 - Nov 22 with 2709 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Black Friday is predominantly a means of exploiting the stupidness of stupid people who are too stupid to realise what is happening.

I remember the scenes on the news when it first happened here and people were smiling/fighting as they were queuing to purchase their big TVs which they otherwise probably wouldn't have bought.

That said I did purchase a laptop yesterday which was on a Black Friday sale but I'd had my eye on it for a couple of weeks so I'm the winner there.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Login to get fewer ads

Black Friday's first death on 12:29 - Nov 22 with 2699 viewsuefacup81

Black Friday's first death on 12:27 - Nov 22 by ThisIsMyUsername

Black Friday is predominantly a means of exploiting the stupidness of stupid people who are too stupid to realise what is happening.

I remember the scenes on the news when it first happened here and people were smiling/fighting as they were queuing to purchase their big TVs which they otherwise probably wouldn't have bought.

That said I did purchase a laptop yesterday which was on a Black Friday sale but I'd had my eye on it for a couple of weeks so I'm the winner there.

Are you, though?

Could you have got it cheaper at another time? (see earlier posts)

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Black Friday's first death on 12:32 - Nov 22 with 2685 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Black Friday's first death on 12:29 - Nov 22 by uefacup81

Are you, though?

Could you have got it cheaper at another time? (see earlier posts)

Yes, I believe so. It has been one price for a couple of weeks and when I went to buy it it was £50 cheaper than that price. I didn't know it was going to be on a sale; just coincidental. They had seemingly done that thing however where they raise the price temporarily by £50 above what it was before, so now it looks like it is actually £100 cheaper.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Black Friday's first death on 12:42 - Nov 22 with 2657 viewsJ2BLUE

I really don't see the point in going to a store. I've targeted a few things I wanted to buy anyway and comfortably been able to do that online.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Black Friday's first death on 12:47 - Nov 22 with 2648 viewsitfcjoe

I'll be at Lakeside doing my Xmas shopping with Mrs itfcjoe on Friday - there are generally some decent bargains this week if you keep an eye on things you want and are sensible with it - rather than heading to shops that just get a load of rubbish in for the day.

Nice to egt everything done and have nothing to worry about for a month too

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Black Friday's first death on 14:02 - Nov 22 with 2557 viewsVaughan8

Is Black Friday actually this Friday? I have been getting emails with "Black Friday deals" for weeks. No doubt it won't stop/end on Friday either.

You can get deals if it is things you want, but if you want things like iPad etc., they will never have deals on (I wouldn't have thought!)
Black Friday's first death on 14:34 - Nov 22 with 2526 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm not very proactive with our online retail sales as they don't represent much of our turnover and the average order is only around a tenner - mind you there's quite a few and they all add up.

Sunday evening I did an eshot to the riff raff retail customers offering a free product with every single order. Said product retails at £3 and costs us about 15p. The next day our sales went up by 400%

Madness.

I really can't stand giving freebies or discounts. If we are really busy I am convinced we are too cheap and I start to worry so I put the price up, I am only convinced the price isn't too cheap when no one is buying anything.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024