Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 310137 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:01 - Nov 23 with 9060 viewslocalboy78

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:50 - Nov 23 by Steve_M

The problem with scoring slowly and having wickets in hand is that once wickets go down the score looks a bit rubbish. We've probably lost wickets at regular enough intervals to keep Australia interested. 182/2 now and the crowd would be getting frustrated.

Really want to get past 350 here.

Yep. It's why I was so sceptical about Ballance. Mo looks good here. Jonny is massive, too' because we'll be in this position a few times i reckon. But this is where we are arguably strongest.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:09 - Nov 23 with 9040 viewsSteve_M

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:01 - Nov 23 by localboy78

Yep. It's why I was so sceptical about Ballance. Mo looks good here. Jonny is massive, too' because we'll be in this position a few times i reckon. But this is where we are arguably strongest.

I did also think back to the last Ashes series over there and us having Australia six down most times before Haddin did a lot of damage. It would be nice to wake up tomorrow and see the reverse.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:23 - Nov 23 with 9030 viewsvapour_trail

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:01 - Nov 23 by localboy78

That’s why the Johnny stokes moeen part of the order is so vital for us. Shame there’s a bloody great hole in it now.

Good effort from the batsmen today though. Think most people would take a solid start from day one of the series. Bring on midnight.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:05 - Nov 23 with 8998 viewsgiant_stow

That prick Lion has changed his tune

"England are a great side and we need to come out and bowl well."

"For me it was one of those days were you create chances with the ball and they miss. I thought I bowled well without much luck."

Blubadubdub

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:30 - Nov 23 with 8977 viewscaught-in-limbo

I think there'll be few won matches: three, perhaps even just two.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think Australia will win back the Ashes.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 10:05]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:32 - Nov 23 with 8978 viewsbluewein

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:05 - Nov 23 by giant_stow

"For me it was one of those days were you create chances with the ball and they miss. I thought I bowled well without much luck."

Blubadubdub

Or...

"I thought I'd have a go at stoking them up and it's made me look like a massive div so far."

"I still believe my own hype though, and I'll carry on doing that while people shout my 'hilarious' nickname at me. Better than Warnie I am. Tie me kangaroo down sport, shrimp on the barbie and other aussie stereotype-like sayings."

P.s. Stickying this thread? Wonderful idea! The next seven weeks should be a lot of fun.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:58 - Nov 23 with 8961 viewschicoazul

Blubadubdub

I saw an hour this morning and Lyon was excellent. Hopefully Mo will be able to replicate that as it's spinning.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:05 - Nov 23 with 8959 viewsGuthrum

Very pleased to see fifties from two of the newer batsmen and the third going on pretty nicely. If Malan and Ali can put on another 100+ stand (to add to Stoneman and Vince's), it will leave England in a pretty decent position with Bairstow to come. Only thing we mustn't do is lose wickets to rash shots against the new ball in the morning.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:07 - Nov 23 with 8955 viewschicoazul

Anyone else a bit surprised it was Mo who came in at 6 not Johnny? Mo's average at 7 is fantastic.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:14 - Nov 23 with 8946 viewsSnedders

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:23 - Nov 23 by vapour_trail

That’s why the Johnny stokes moeen part of the order is so vital for us. Shame there’s a bloody great hole in it now.

Good effort from the batsmen today though. Think most people would take a solid start from day one of the series. Bring on midnight.

Don't miss the first half hour, starts at 23.30 tonight due to the rain!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:14 - Nov 23 with 8944 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:05 - Nov 23 by Guthrum

Very pleased to see fifties from two of the newer batsmen and the third going on pretty nicely. If Malan and Ali can put on another 100+ stand (to add to Stoneman and Vince's), it will leave England in a pretty decent position with Bairstow to come. Only thing we mustn't do is lose wickets to rash shots against the new ball in the morning.

"and the third going on pretty nicely." *so far*!!

My mission to negate all commentators' curses is proving hard work!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:22 - Nov 23 with 8932 viewsLord_Lucan

Well after all the rigmarole of getting a BT pass and all that caper I went down the pub all excited about watching the test, only to come back home and fall asleep.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:55 - Nov 23 with 8900 viewsunbelievablue

Blubadubdub

He's come on leaps and bounds and was the best bowler by a long way yesterday, which is impressive on day one.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:28 - Nov 23 with 8843 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Watched the first couple of overs feeling quite relaxed at how we started..

Then Cook gets caught behind so I turn the telly off and go to sleep.. Turn it back on to see the ball thud into Root's pad and the not out is overturned. In 2 deliveries I'd seen 2 wickets so will not be watching again tonight.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:39 - Nov 23 with 8837 viewsMaySixth

I stayed up until 4:48am drinking vodka and eating Viennese Whirls.

I've seen Vince about 30 times in county cricket and he bats like a god when confident.

Terrible turnout from the Australian public - ground two thirds full and outnumbered by the English.

I thought they loved their cricket?

First session on Day 2 is massive - need a ton from Malan, Ali or Bairstow

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:46 - Nov 23 with 8831 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:39 - Nov 23 by MaySixth

I stayed up until 4:48am drinking vodka and eating Viennese Whirls.

I've seen Vince about 30 times in county cricket and he bats like a god when confident.

Terrible turnout from the Australian public - ground two thirds full and outnumbered by the English.

I thought they loved their cricket?

First session on Day 2 is massive - need a ton from Malan, Ali or Bairstow

TMS said ground was just about full?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:47 - Nov 23 with 8829 viewsGuthrum

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:07 - Nov 23 by chicoazul

Anyone else a bit surprised it was Mo who came in at 6 not Johnny? Mo's average at 7 is fantastic.

That's been mooted for a while. Thought is that Ali has more freedom to play shots slightly higher up and Bairstow is better at shepherding the (longer than usual) tail.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:48 - Nov 23 with 8828 viewsbluewein

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:28 - Nov 23 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Watched the first couple of overs feeling quite relaxed at how we started..

Then Cook gets caught behind so I turn the telly off and go to sleep.. Turn it back on to see the ball thud into Root's pad and the not out is overturned. In 2 deliveries I'd seen 2 wickets so will not be watching again tonight.

Hi Gainsborough

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:53 - Nov 23 with 8821 viewsMaySixth

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:46 - Nov 23 by Ryorry

TMS said ground was just about full?

Nowhere near full

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:06 - Nov 23 with 8812 viewsconnorscontract

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:47 - Nov 23 by Guthrum

That's been mooted for a while. Thought is that Ali has more freedom to play shots slightly higher up and Bairstow is better at shepherding the (longer than usual) tail.

I think it's also to give Bairstow recharge time after concentrating behind the stumps for every delivery.

We're so lucky to have 2 world class multi-role players in Ali and Bairstow, and I personally think of the three of them Stokes is the easiest to cover, with Woakes. Woakes is a better bowler than Stokes, in my opinion, and a consistent, solid, lower order attacking batsman.

We couldn't have replaced Mo with anyone guaranteed to perform as well as he now does with both bat and ball (he's a totally dependable fielder, too) and although there are County circuit wicketkeepers as good as (not many better than, he has reached a very high standard, now) Bairstow, how many would be nailed on to be as consistent with the bat?
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:17 - Nov 23 with 8800 viewsMaySixth

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:06 - Nov 23 by connorscontract

I think it's also to give Bairstow recharge time after concentrating behind the stumps for every delivery.

We're so lucky to have 2 world class multi-role players in Ali and Bairstow, and I personally think of the three of them Stokes is the easiest to cover, with Woakes. Woakes is a better bowler than Stokes, in my opinion, and a consistent, solid, lower order attacking batsman.

We couldn't have replaced Mo with anyone guaranteed to perform as well as he now does with both bat and ball (he's a totally dependable fielder, too) and although there are County circuit wicketkeepers as good as (not many better than, he has reached a very high standard, now) Bairstow, how many would be nailed on to be as consistent with the bat?

Is Sports Donkey worth getting?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 16:47 - Nov 23 with 8709 viewsIpswichKnight

Not losing wickets with the new ball is crucial, see that off and we can dare to dream about making 350 . Wicket looks good it is reverse swinging a bit and Lyon is getting some turn as well.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:20 - Nov 23 with 8609 viewsjimsymBLUE

Evening all, anyone tell me the easiest way to listen to tms abroad? Bare in mind I'm pretty useless with technology! Will TuneIn work?

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:31 - Nov 23 with 8605 viewsvapour_trail

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:20 - Nov 23 by jimsymBLUE

Evening all, anyone tell me the easiest way to listen to tms abroad? Bare in mind I'm pretty useless with technology! Will TuneIn work?

BBC website?

First boundary of the day already.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:36 - Nov 23 with 8602 viewsjimsymBLUE

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:31 - Nov 23 by vapour_trail

BBC website?

First boundary of the day already.

5 live doesn't work abroad unfortunately, right palava

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024