Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 310630 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:40 - Nov 24 with 7823 viewslocalboy78

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:23 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Good to see England get a review correct as that was something root has struggled to get right all through the home summer tests

Morning Rommers, morning everyone,

Looks like I might keep getting up with the kids at tea then. Sounds like a cracking day's cricket with the inevitable collapse from our tail after s decent start. Smith looking ominous now though. I feared him most, but that barely makes me some kind of soothsayer. I don't think I'm alone in that. I just hope that in ten years time every young batsman on earth doesn't take his stance.

Could use getting rid of a marsh. I hated Brad Haddin and I'll hate him too.

As an aside BM (girl, three and a bit) wants to know where the women commentators have gone, and was happy to see Alison Mitchell returning. It's hardly scientific but it's the first time she's shown that she was paying any attention to sport on TV. Got to be a positive, no?

Here's to a catastrophic run out any second. Cheers.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:41 - Nov 24 with 7823 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

We really really could do with a breakthrough here

Marsh and Smith are starting to score freely

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:44 - Nov 24 with 7817 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:40 - Nov 24 by localboy78

Morning Rommers, morning everyone,

Looks like I might keep getting up with the kids at tea then. Sounds like a cracking day's cricket with the inevitable collapse from our tail after s decent start. Smith looking ominous now though. I feared him most, but that barely makes me some kind of soothsayer. I don't think I'm alone in that. I just hope that in ten years time every young batsman on earth doesn't take his stance.

Could use getting rid of a marsh. I hated Brad Haddin and I'll hate him too.

As an aside BM (girl, three and a bit) wants to know where the women commentators have gone, and was happy to see Alison Mitchell returning. It's hardly scientific but it's the first time she's shown that she was paying any attention to sport on TV. Got to be a positive, no?

Here's to a catastrophic run out any second. Cheers.

Morning Local

It's been a really enjoyable day of cricket. I watched on a stream yesterday but got my nans BT sport put on my tablet on the app and it's just made it so much easier. Will definitely be doing this every day now.

Think this partnership is starting to hurt us. We really could do with a breakthrough.

Perhaos you've a future England women's cricketer on your hands buh

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:58 - Nov 24 with 7808 viewslocalboy78

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:44 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Morning Local

It's been a really enjoyable day of cricket. I watched on a stream yesterday but got my nans BT sport put on my tablet on the app and it's just made it so much easier. Will definitely be doing this every day now.

Think this partnership is starting to hurt us. We really could do with a breakthrough.

Perhaos you've a future England women's cricketer on your hands buh

Nothing would make me prouder mate. Though she'll also be eligible to play football for Germany and knowing my luck...

Actually, I hope that there still is Test cricket for her and her brother to enjoy when they get older. There's no one at the India vs Sri Lanka Test. But that's not a surprise, more disappointed about the empty seats here.

It does pose a point though. Is the Women's game the saviour of the longer form? It's the only one that's actually growing.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:23 - Nov 24 with 7794 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:58 - Nov 24 by localboy78

Nothing would make me prouder mate. Though she'll also be eligible to play football for Germany and knowing my luck...

Actually, I hope that there still is Test cricket for her and her brother to enjoy when they get older. There's no one at the India vs Sri Lanka Test. But that's not a surprise, more disappointed about the empty seats here.

It does pose a point though. Is the Women's game the saviour of the longer form? It's the only one that's actually growing.

I think in 20 years time, there won't be test cricket at all.

It'll be 20/20s and ODIs I reckon.

The talk of shortening test matches from 2020 to 4 days from 5 is the beginning of the end

Talking of the end... I'm off to get a couple hours sleep. 5 minutes of play left. I've done well.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:38 - Nov 24 with 7781 viewsSteve_M

Aus 165/4 at the close. Still looks pretty tight, breaking this partnership early tomorrow will be crucial.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:47 - Nov 24 with 7771 viewslocalboy78

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:38 - Nov 24 by Steve_M

Aus 165/4 at the close. Still looks pretty tight, breaking this partnership early tomorrow will be crucial.

It's got a certain grim familiarity about it, though their strike rate is still pretty slow by modern standards. I will go to bed tonight thinking about waking up to find them 350/5 and I'll have dreams where Shaun Marsh ruins my bus ride into work while I've forgotten to wear my trousers.

Sounds like Root had a good days captaincy earlier on but things seemed to lose their edge by the time I tuned in (what a stupid old fashioned phrase that is. I haven't tuned into anything for years). Watching Jimmy bowl a wide full Toss like it's the end of a T20 was worrying, but a good nights kip (night Rommers) and a cold bath might see him better for the morning.

But I'm happy it's close and it's attritional and it's bloody hard work. It's why I love test cricket.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:04 - Nov 24 with 7758 viewsbournemouthblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:47 - Nov 24 by localboy78

It's got a certain grim familiarity about it, though their strike rate is still pretty slow by modern standards. I will go to bed tonight thinking about waking up to find them 350/5 and I'll have dreams where Shaun Marsh ruins my bus ride into work while I've forgotten to wear my trousers.

Sounds like Root had a good days captaincy earlier on but things seemed to lose their edge by the time I tuned in (what a stupid old fashioned phrase that is. I haven't tuned into anything for years). Watching Jimmy bowl a wide full Toss like it's the end of a T20 was worrying, but a good nights kip (night Rommers) and a cold bath might see him better for the morning.

But I'm happy it's close and it's attritional and it's bloody hard work. It's why I love test cricket.

England are doing their best Ipswich impression

They were cruising when I went to bed and sure enough they have gone and collapsed when 400 was looking quite possible

The tail is very reliant on Bairstow firing. We look a batsman short with Stokes not there.

We went and got some early wickets but sure enough, Steve Smith has pulled them out of the mire.

It's all about tomorrow morning, a good one and we are right in there. A bad one and we'll be fighting to save this test.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:08 - Nov 24 with 7755 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:38 - Nov 24 by Steve_M

Yeah it's even but momentum is with Aus due to the current partnership.

Early wickets tomorrow are key, if not then we need to work our bollox off to ensure we don't concede a lead of 50 plus.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:19 - Nov 24 with 7749 viewslocalboy78

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:04 - Nov 24 by bournemouthblue

They were cruising when I went to bed and sure enough they have gone and collapsed when 400 was looking quite possible

The tail is very reliant on Bairstow firing. We look a batsman short with Stokes not there.

We went and got some early wickets but sure enough, Steve Smith has pulled them out of the mire.

It's all about tomorrow morning, a good one and we are right in there. A bad one and we'll be fighting to save this test.

Interestingly, Punter seems to think that England are still just shading it, and said it was strange that Jimmy didn't point that out post-match. And he'd know. Maybe it's just providing balance for the TV but is there something negative in our mindset already that is going to hold us back?

Because if he's saying on telly that he thinks we should still be putting a collective boot down on the Aussie throats imagine what he'd be saying to his team in the dressing room. This is where Root needs to stamp a bit of authority on his team. He needs to get them to come out tomorrow morning on fire somehow. Not worried about a middle aged batsman on his last big chance.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:30 - Nov 24 with 7693 viewsRadlett_blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:08 - Nov 24 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah it's even but momentum is with Aus due to the current partnership.

Early wickets tomorrow are key, if not then we need to work our bollox off to ensure we don't concede a lead of 50 plus.

New ball may be crucial. Ideally, get rid of Smith early & then the new ball may be needed to roll over the tail. Will be interesting how the pitch pans out & hopefully batting will be hardest in the 4th innings.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:58 - Nov 24 with 7629 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:30 - Nov 24 by Radlett_blue

New ball may be crucial. Ideally, get rid of Smith early & then the new ball may be needed to roll over the tail. Will be interesting how the pitch pans out & hopefully batting will be hardest in the 4th innings.

Do they get any dew in Brisbane at this time of year?!

Need a Boycs strip analysis, complete with him digging a key in to test it!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 14:01 - Nov 24 with 7626 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:04 - Nov 24 by bournemouthblue

"England are doing their best Ipswich impression"

Same often seems to me to apply to our senior football team!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 16:54 - Nov 24 with 7574 viewsMaySixth

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 14:01 - Nov 24 by Ryorry

"England are doing their best Ipswich impression"

Same often seems to me to apply to our senior football team!

Australia will finish up with a lead between 50-75 and we will crumble in the third innings.

Hope I am wrong.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2017 16:54]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 20:57 - Nov 24 with 7532 viewsgiant_stow

Knowledgeable cricket people I have a question: why are bouncers so hard to play? Why can't the batsman just duck? Is it purely about speed and fear?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:24 - Nov 24 with 7521 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 20:57 - Nov 24 by giant_stow

Knowledgeable cricket people I have a question: why are bouncers so hard to play? Why can't the batsman just duck? Is it purely about speed and fear?

I'm not responding because I think I'm knowledgeable but I think it's because the bounce can be unpredictable.

If a batsmen judges a ball to be going high and ducks but it stays lower, there's a bit of danger.

If they knew that it would stay below shoulder height, they would hook most of them to the ropes. The condition of the pitch, state of the ball and weather conditions all make playing short deliveries unpredictable.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:31 - Nov 24 with 7515 viewsvapour_trail

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:24 - Nov 24 by TLA

I'm not responding because I think I'm knowledgeable but I think it's because the bounce can be unpredictable.

If a batsmen judges a ball to be going high and ducks but it stays lower, there's a bit of danger.

If they knew that it would stay below shoulder height, they would hook most of them to the ropes. The condition of the pitch, state of the ball and weather conditions all make playing short deliveries unpredictable.

Also the batsmen will not know the bouncer is coming until pretty late and has limited time to react, particularly if the guy throwing them down is quick.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:14 - Nov 25 with 7478 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Evening all! Who's up watching the?

I plan on sleeping at the tea break at 4:30, getting 2 hours sleep in and then watch the last hour before leaving for villa! Lovely stuff

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:21 - Nov 25 with 7474 viewsgainsboroughblue

Get in. Marsh gone.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:22 - Nov 25 with 7470 viewsvapour_trail

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:21 - Nov 25 by gainsboroughblue

Get in. Marsh gone.

Result.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:26 - Nov 25 with 7468 viewsSamuelowen88

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:21 - Nov 25 by gainsboroughblue

Get in. Marsh gone.

The break through we required.

Not long till the new ball, Broad and Anderson pumped up. We may have a lead after 1st innings

Poll: England v Wales Score

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:27 - Nov 25 with 7467 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET!🚨

Breakthrough for England! Broad rolls his fingers over the ball to take the pace off and gets Marsh to drive. He was tempted in but the pace off the ball and the length gets him to chip one up to mid off for a simple catch. England have the wicket they so desperately wanted as the partnership is broken.

Can they get Smith early in this session to really get into control of this Test match?

175-5

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:42 - Nov 25 with 7454 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:27 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET!🚨

Breakthrough for England! Broad rolls his fingers over the ball to take the pace off and gets Marsh to drive. He was tempted in but the pace off the ball and the length gets him to chip one up to mid off for a simple catch. England have the wicket they so desperately wanted as the partnership is broken.

Can they get Smith early in this session to really get into control of this Test match?

175-5

Ball surprised him with one that lifted. We do seem to be trying to knock it in short at the moment. I'm not convinced that's the way to go. Just try and get them playing forward.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:06 - Nov 25 with 7435 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:14 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Evening all! Who's up watching the?

I plan on sleeping at the tea break at 4:30, getting 2 hours sleep in and then watch the last hour before leaving for villa! Lovely stuff

Ah, the stamina & energy of youth ... hat off to you Rommy! and cheers for the running comm.

Need another one now - come on England

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:24 - Nov 25 with 7430 viewsgainsboroughblue

202-6. Paine gone. That was an absolute beauty from Jimmy.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024