Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 310631 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:17 - Nov 25 with 3746 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:05 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Cheers pal

That's a ton for Smith. Broad comes round the wicket and we finally see Smiths cover drive. It took 261 balls for him to play a shot on the off side but fair play - his irritating batting style gets the results.

Morning Rommy.

I glad our paths crossed - I love these nights too, even though doing all-nighters is not conducive to doing my best work in the day!

I'm not going to Villa today but hope you have a good one!

Smith might accelerate now - and there's another cover drive for 4! Cummins innings has done the damage really though. This is a great test match but we need a wicket. A lead of 50 - 100 is looking possible and I think the pressure would see us struggle to get anywhere near enough.

I just saw that Smith's average has gone up from 50 to 71 as captain - that's impressive!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:18 - Nov 25 with 3745 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:15 - Nov 25 by Ryorry

Ah, cunning plan!

OK thanks, you?
[Post edited 25 Nov 2017 4:16]

Yeah, good thanks.

Not pleased that I missed the best part of our day but refreshed by a little bit of sleep and a weekend without too much work ahead!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:22 - Nov 25 with 3739 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:17 - Nov 25 by TLA

Morning Rommy.

I glad our paths crossed - I love these nights too, even though doing all-nighters is not conducive to doing my best work in the day!

Smith might accelerate now - and there's another cover drive for 4! Cummins innings has done the damage really though. This is a great test match but we need a wicket. A lead of 50 - 100 is looking possible and I think the pressure would see us struggle to get anywhere near enough.

I just saw that Smith's average has gone up from 50 to 71 as captain - that's impressive!

If our productivity was falling behind other European countries before this series ... I imagine there's many a fed-up employer cursing cricket right now!

Also enjoy these all-nighters - feels more like a pub than a forum, with so few people around

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:24 - Nov 25 with 3737 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:17 - Nov 25 by TLA

Morning Rommy.

Morning bud

Always good to see the TWTD cricketing regulars on here for some late night chat.

I had it all planned out in my head to go asleep at tea at 4:30 and then get up for 7 and watch the last half hour of play whilst getting ready for Villa. It's now 4:30 and I just can't see me sleeping here. May just have to sleep on the train home from villa park instead.

As for the cricket, this is getting worse by the over. They've picked the run rate up and the partnership looks excellent. This has been a crucial session and it's gone to the Aussies without a doubt.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:32 - Nov 25 with 3728 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:22 - Nov 25 by Ryorry

If our productivity was falling behind other European countries before this series ... I imagine there's many a fed-up employer cursing cricket right now!

Also enjoy these all-nighters - feels more like a pub than a forum, with so few people around

The problem for me is that I'm my employer! I might have to have a word with myself.

Ooh, Cummins has gone! Great innings from him but let's wrap up now!

I like the thought of it being a pub - in my younger days, I'd have used that to go and grab a beer, in spite of the hour!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:33 - Nov 25 with 3724 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:12 - Nov 25 by TLA

That's what I hoped as I typed!

Hope all is well with you.

Love it when a plan comes together - nice one TLA

Cummins gone for 42, edged & caught nicely by Cook, bowled Woakes.

Waiting for last 2% of full system scan by Avast which is taking annoyingly long - 1hr 6mins, has been on 98% for about the last 15mins! will cave in to bed after that, nighty night :)
[Post edited 25 Nov 2017 4:39]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:35 - Nov 25 with 3721 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET!🚨

Halilujah! The partnership is broken. The wait for the wicket is over. Stand down the troops. We can all stop rubbing our eyes as England have finally got a wicket. Cummings is out caught by Cook with a sharp catch down low to his right. Woakes got the wicket. A decent enough ball but it was more just about the mid timed drive. Cook hasn't had a sniff today so that's very alert of him to take that catch. Very good slip fielding and temperament.

Expect smith to quicken up the tempo now.

279-8

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:38 - Nov 25 with 3717 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:22 - Nov 25 by Ryorry

During the away test series at India last year me and TLA were often up chatting about the cricket which was on during the night.

This will be a good series with the same group of us awake during the nights to watch the cricket

Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:40 - Nov 25 with 3713 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:35 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET!🚨

Halilujah! The partnership is broken. The wait for the wicket is over. Stand down the troops. We can all stop rubbing our eyes as England have finally got a wicket. Cummings is out caught by Cook with a sharp catch down low to his right. Woakes got the wicket. A decent enough ball but it was more just about the mid timed drive. Cook hasn't had a sniff today so that's very alert of him to take that catch. Very good slip fielding and temperament.

Expect smith to quicken up the tempo now.

279-8

Good reporting as usual Rommy. As I've said before, your reports are better than the ones on the beeb!

I think you're right about Smith - if Hazlewood and Lyon hang around, Smith could really go for it.

It was a great catch by Cook. Parity in the first innings would be a great way to start the series. This one is so important - the second test could well depend on the toss. People seem to favour us but they have a couple of players who could thrive with the pink ball.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:05 - Nov 25 with 3703 viewsTLA

No Anderson after tea is a worry, not just for now but for their second innings.

A lot rests on these 4 or 5 overs from Broad.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:07 - Nov 25 with 3703 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:40 - Nov 25 by TLA

Good reporting as usual Rommy. As I've said before, your reports are better than the ones on the beeb!

I think you're right about Smith - if Hazlewood and Lyon hang around, Smith could really go for it.

It was a great catch by Cook. Parity in the first innings would be a great way to start the series. This one is so important - the second test could well depend on the toss. People seem to favour us but they have a couple of players who could thrive with the pink ball.

Ha - cheers. All good fun.

I reckon that the night game might be really good for England if we can bowl well with it early on. If we don't start well with it, they could put on some massive scores

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:15 - Nov 25 with 3694 viewsTLA

Have to keep half an eye on the Rugby League World Cup semi final as well now - this sport through the night is hard work!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:30 - Nov 25 with 3689 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET!🚨

We can thank Gilly in commentary for that one. He did a Gainsborough and said Moeen was bowling badly (he was to be fair) and then next ball.. you know what happened. Hazlewood out for 6. Him and smith had put 23 on so that wicket is crucial.

Australia trail by 4 runs with the final wicket in. Can England win a psychological battle here and go in with a 1st innings lead

298-9

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:32 - Nov 25 with 3689 viewsTLA

Go Mo!

This is so close. If they don't lead by more than about 15, we should be slight favourites with them batting last. It does depend on Cook and Root performing like Smith has though.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:38 - Nov 25 with 3683 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:32 - Nov 25 by TLA

Go Mo!

This is so close. If they don't lead by more than about 15, we should be slight favourites with them batting last. It does depend on Cook and Root performing like Smith has though.

That's the key battle for me: Root and Coot against Warner and Smith

If our two can be level with their two, we have a fair chance. We can't let them two outscore our two by 50/100 every innings though

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:39 - Nov 25 with 3678 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:38 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

That's the key battle for me: Root and Coot against Warner and Smith

If our two can be level with their two, we have a fair chance. We can't let them two outscore our two by 50/100 every innings though

It doesn't look like we'll get Smith out all series!

They now lead...
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:40 - Nov 25 with 3678 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Australia lead.

Smith walks across his stumps and flicks it over the short fine leg for four.

Single to follow. Lyon on strike...

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:51 - Nov 25 with 3668 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:40 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Australia lead.

Smith walks across his stumps and flicks it over the short fine leg for four.

Single to follow. Lyon on strike...

Smith has been superb - this partnership could still put on enough runs to be the eventual winning margin.

Anderson looks in pain.

Aussies now looking favourites.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:51 - Nov 25 with 3668 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Jimmy has a side strain.

I was right with my first thought earlier. The way he threw that ball in screamed side strain. As a pace bowler myself, I know the feeling to some extent. The way he bent down to get the ball is the way I did when my side was hurting. Almost reluctant.

I guarantee his injury is a side strain. Minor. But irritating injury.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:52 - Nov 25 with 3663 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:51 - Nov 25 by TLA

Smith has been superb - this partnership could still put on enough runs to be the eventual winning margin.

Anderson looks in pain.

Aussies now looking favourites.

This innings from smith is worrying because we've tried everything.

And on every tactic he's outthought the bowlers and Root.

Jimmys a side strain I think bud

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:56 - Nov 25 with 3658 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:52 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

This innings from smith is worrying because we've tried everything.

And on every tactic he's outthought the bowlers and Root.

Jimmys a side strain I think bud

I think you're right about Jimmy. Apparently he also has some bruising on his arm.

It's not good for people getting up now to see Root bowling!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:58 - Nov 25 with 3654 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:56 - Nov 25 by TLA

I think you're right about Jimmy. Apparently he also has some bruising on his arm.

It's not good for people getting up now to see Root bowling!

That bruise looks like a ball bruise. Assume he got hit yesterday. Doubt that would cause a major problem for him tbh. It's the other injury that's looking like costing us having him bowl.

Root bowling.. mostly down the Leg side too

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:06 - Nov 25 with 3650 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:58 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

That bruise looks like a ball bruise. Assume he got hit yesterday. Doubt that would cause a major problem for him tbh. It's the other injury that's looking like costing us having him bowl.

Root bowling.. mostly down the Leg side too

This partnership is what makes test cricket great.

The momentum changes so often. When we had them at just over 200-7 with a new ball, we were massive favourites. A lead of 60 and batting at the best time would've given us a great chance. The post-tea session with an older ball is a good one to bat to. Now we'll bat late under pressure not to lose wickets…which will happen now as they're all out!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:08 - Nov 25 with 3650 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET! AUSTRALIA ARE ALL OUT!🚨

That's it. Australia are all out as Lyon tickles one off Root to the leg slip. Smith ends not out and will grab the headlines - deservedly so.

Australia lead by 26. Back in 10 minutes for the England innings folks. Strap in. This will be a big hour of cricket in this test match.

328 all out (lead by 26)

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:09 - Nov 25 with 3647 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:06 - Nov 25 by TLA

This partnership is what makes test cricket great.

The momentum changes so often. When we had them at just over 200-7 with a new ball, we were massive favourites. A lead of 60 and batting at the best time would've given us a great chance. The post-tea session with an older ball is a good one to bat to. Now we'll bat late under pressure not to lose wickets…which will happen now as they're all out!

This is a huge hour of batting for us.

They will be right up for it knowing 2 or 3 wickets would put them right in control

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024