Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 310748 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:05 - Nov 25 with 6030 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:43 - Nov 25 by christiand

Can the see the Aussies blowing us away tomorrow. Seem to have that hostility back in their bowling and we are struggling with the short pitched stuff. Unfortunately, they seem to have their hands around our throat and are beginning to squeeze!

If we see out the first 10 overs tomorrow, they might not look as hostile.

The ball will do less and they will tire, especially with only 3 fast bowlers. Tonight was perfect for them, being fresh and knowing they had short spells against players who had been in the field all day.

I think Lyon will be be a bigger threat tomorrow.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:32 - Nov 25 with 5987 viewsgiant_stow

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:31 - Nov 24 by vapour_trail

Also the batsmen will not know the bouncer is coming until pretty late and has limited time to react, particularly if the guy throwing them down is quick.

Interesting stuff thanks chaps

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:20 - Nov 25 with 5861 viewsbournemouthblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:05 - Nov 25 by TLA

If we see out the first 10 overs tomorrow, they might not look as hostile.

The ball will do less and they will tire, especially with only 3 fast bowlers. Tonight was perfect for them, being fresh and knowing they had short spells against players who had been in the field all day.

I think Lyon will be be a bigger threat tomorrow.

I really hope we get through it, it would make for an exciting finish

Given how much this pitch has spun, Crane could have been an option on here?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:40 - Nov 25 with 5854 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:20 - Nov 25 by bournemouthblue

I really hope we get through it, it would make for an exciting finish

Given how much this pitch has spun, Crane could have been an option on here?

In all honesty, I don't know how good Crane is but it's probably more about how good he could become.

Spin bowlers seem to get much better with age - a few years back Lyon was seen as an average bowler. It might be because he was following the best ever (Warne was better than Murali).

Moeen bowls very well in the right conditions but doesn't get the kind of grip that Lyon does.

Root, Moeen and Bairstow are vital to us tonight, mainly because they can score quickly. If we get bogged down, scoring 2 an over, at some point we'll lose a couple of wickets and be out of the game.

The way this match has swung three or four times already is why I love test cricket!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:54 - Nov 25 with 5833 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

With me not sleeping for 40 hours, I'm off to sleep lads.

I'll set and alarm for the 4:40 session but whether I make it, we will see.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:51 - Nov 26 with 5819 viewsReuser_is_God

FFS Stoneman out to Lyon

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:00 - Nov 26 with 5817 viewsgainsboroughblue

The flimsyness of our batting is really quite scary. You don't get any kind of confidence that someone can occupy the crease for long periods other than Root. Even with Stoneman, Vince and Malan in the first dig you knew something was likely around the corner. Cook can no longer be relied on either. Our Stokes (when he is here), Woakes and Ali lower middle order should be a bonus, not a constant saviour.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2017 1:01]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:47 - Nov 26 with 5790 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:00 - Nov 26 by gainsboroughblue

The flimsyness of our batting is really quite scary. You don't get any kind of confidence that someone can occupy the crease for long periods other than Root. Even with Stoneman, Vince and Malan in the first dig you knew something was likely around the corner. Cook can no longer be relied on either. Our Stokes (when he is here), Woakes and Ali lower middle order should be a bonus, not a constant saviour.

It's been downright painful this a.m. hasn't it - every ball Lyon bowls, your heart's in your mouth, and the commentators aren't helping with their ooohs and aaahs!

Have Aus found another Shane Warne?

Good point by Boycs re England not being adaptable/flexible enough to change tactics during the course of a game. Sounds horribly familiar ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:52 - Nov 26 with 5785 viewsRyorry

Oh psch1tterbougger, Root gone for 50 :(

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:57 - Nov 26 with 5780 viewsWD19

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:00 - Nov 26 by gainsboroughblue

‘Cook can no longer be relied on’ because he failed in one match. Give over. He is firmly in the top 10 batsmen in the world rankings on current form. He will go big soon enough.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:40 - Nov 26 with 5759 viewsbournemouthblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:47 - Nov 26 by Ryorry

It's been downright painful this a.m. hasn't it - every ball Lyon bowls, your heart's in your mouth, and the commentators aren't helping with their ooohs and aaahs!

Have Aus found another Shane Warne?

Good point by Boycs re England not being adaptable/flexible enough to change tactics during the course of a game. Sounds horribly familiar ...

Lyon isn't in the same class bracket as Warne and he's not quite even someone like Swann's class. He's certainly pretty decent though, he'd get in our side on his bowling.

The more you look at this wicket, you half wonder if Crane was worth a punt. He may well have got the nod if Stokes was there, you could swap Malan for Stokes and keep your four quicks plus Ali and Crane.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 03:52 - Nov 26 with 5745 viewsbournemouthblue

We desperately need to scrape up to a 200 lead

I'm not overly confident we'll do it, it's down to Bairstow really

Woakes needs to chip in along with Broad and perhaps Ball who doesn't look a total mug

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:28 - Nov 26 with 5733 viewsTLA

Morning all.

Like Rommy, I needed a little sleep tonight so I drifted off to TMS but I'm up now with the cricket on the box. We're doing OK.

Damn…Woakes has gone!

That 220+ looks a very long way off, unless Bairstow accelerates and goes big.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:34 - Nov 26 with 5723 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:40 - Nov 26 by bournemouthblue

Lyon isn't in the same class bracket as Warne and he's not quite even someone like Swann's class. He's certainly pretty decent though, he'd get in our side on his bowling.

The more you look at this wicket, you half wonder if Crane was worth a punt. He may well have got the nod if Stokes was there, you could swap Malan for Stokes and keep your four quicks plus Ali and Crane.

Morning bournemouth.

I reckon Lyon probably is in Swann's class - his figures over the last few years are very impressive. He's certainly a class above Moeen. It'll be interesting to see if Crane develops.

It was so disappointing to see Root fail to convert another 50 into a ton. Since being captain, Smith has converted 13 out of 23 50s into centuries - Root is so often out for between 50 - 90.

We look so much weaker with Broad coming in when we're 7 down.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:39 - Nov 26 with 5720 viewsTLA

Ah, Bairstow's gone - our lead won't reach 180 now and Warner will knock most of those off after tea!

Great test but I reckon we're done.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:45 - Nov 26 with 5718 viewsBlue_Moses

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:39 - Nov 26 by TLA

Ah, Bairstow's gone - our lead won't reach 180 now and Warner will knock most of those off after tea!

Great test but I reckon we're done.

Was that really out on hot-spot? Have had a few drinks...
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:52 - Nov 26 with 5713 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:45 - Nov 26 by Blue_Moses

Was that really out on hot-spot? Have had a few drinks...

It was a strange one - only the keeper seemed interested but there was definitely something on hotspot and snicko.

Jimmy and Broady have to get us in it now but even a couple of early wickets just bring us to Smith!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:56 - Nov 26 with 5711 viewsBlue_Moses

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:52 - Nov 26 by TLA

It was a strange one - only the keeper seemed interested but there was definitely something on hotspot and snicko.

Jimmy and Broady have to get us in it now but even a couple of early wickets just bring us to Smith!

Game over now surely. To be honest I'm reasonably happy we have put up this much of a fight.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:00 - Nov 26 with 5707 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:56 - Nov 26 by Blue_Moses

Game over now surely. To be honest I'm reasonably happy we have put up this much of a fight.

We needed a lead of 240, which at the scoring rate in this game would have given them a nasty 15 overs tonight when they've been in the field all day. Now they'll come out after tea, refreshed and they should finish it tomorrow morning.

Unless Broady has a spell...
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:12 - Nov 26 with 5691 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:56 - Nov 26 by Blue_Moses

The way the Aussies have shown they can blow away our lower order I fear we could be in for another 5-0 drumming.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:36 - Nov 26 with 5673 viewsgordon

I'm afraid the OP is going to regret putting their prediction in the pinned post.

Not sure what the selectors can do at this stage, but Jake Ball is not a Test Cricketer. 3 wickets in 4 tests at over a 100 runs per wicket.

Difficult to see how Plunkett isn't in the touring party, given his pace, bounce and experience. Now, its a choice between three uncapped replacements, only one of which (Overton) had a decent season in county cricket last year.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:00 - Nov 26 with 5662 viewsReuser_is_God

Didn't expect to wake up to that, especially after we started the day so well.

FFS England.

Evans out

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:07 - Nov 26 with 5659 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:57 - Nov 26 by WD19

‘Cook can no longer be relied on’ because he failed in one match. Give over. He is firmly in the top 10 batsmen in the world rankings on current form. He will go big soon enough.

My words sound harsher than I meant. I'm just meaning from the point of view that he is not the Cook who dominated in 2010-11. To me, he seems a bit shot in the brain at this level right now and appears to fall easily into traps set. An on-song and in form Cook is absolutely crucial for England but since the end of 2016, his figures, aside from WI, have been pretty ordinary.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:16 - Nov 26 with 5656 viewsgainsboroughblue

Frankly, we've squandered this. At 209-7, we had the Aussies in the palm of our hands but in a true England manner, we took the foot of the gas and allowed them back in, and then the momentum swung with that short burst their quicks had at the end of day 3.

The taking off of Anderson three overs into the new ball at that critical point may well be because he had a slight injury, but the noises coming out of the dressing room contradict that and I'm not buying the comment Broad came out with (or more likely was told to say) about bowlers needing to be rotated and not overworked. You do not take out your best bowler of an attack when the new ball is 6 overs old and you have your foot close to the throat of the opposition. Especially when you had the end of one session and the start of the next in sight.

That post lunch session was painfully poor from Root and it is alarmingly clear to see, that once Broad and Anderson are seen off, there really is nothing for the Aussies to worry about.

We've heard how Adelaide is our test to win. Well, it needs to be now.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:38 - Nov 26 with 5640 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:16 - Nov 26 by gainsboroughblue

Frankly, we've squandered this. At 209-7, we had the Aussies in the palm of our hands but in a true England manner, we took the foot of the gas and allowed them back in, and then the momentum swung with that short burst their quicks had at the end of day 3.

The taking off of Anderson three overs into the new ball at that critical point may well be because he had a slight injury, but the noises coming out of the dressing room contradict that and I'm not buying the comment Broad came out with (or more likely was told to say) about bowlers needing to be rotated and not overworked. You do not take out your best bowler of an attack when the new ball is 6 overs old and you have your foot close to the throat of the opposition. Especially when you had the end of one session and the start of the next in sight.

That post lunch session was painfully poor from Root and it is alarmingly clear to see, that once Broad and Anderson are seen off, there really is nothing for the Aussies to worry about.

We've heard how Adelaide is our test to win. Well, it needs to be now.

Yeah we've truly ballsed this up, I thought at close of day 3 we still had a good chance & the first 50 minutes of day 4 backed this up.

The rest of day 4 however....

Evans out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024