Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 310718 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:17 - Dec 6 with 7528 viewschicoazul

Anyone else expecting Anderson and Cook to retire after this series?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:28 - Dec 6 with 7518 viewsMaySixth

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:56 - Nov 23 by The_Romford_Blue

I thought we were the better team for sure. Silly goal to concede at the death though. A mood killer.

Why was Mason Crane picked over Adil Rashid? Thanks

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 14:15 - Dec 6 with 7493 viewsjimsymBLUE

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:17 - Dec 6 by chicoazul

Anyone else expecting Anderson and Cook to retire after this series?

Anderson is still so good and has publicly stated he see's himself going on for a few more years body willing. Cook on the other hand as much as I love fella could be another story. He still has years on his side and is as fit physically as a butchers dog but you have to wonder how many times you can go to the well (must have played upwards of 150 tests). Think how he goes in the next 3 tests may determine his decision.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 14:18 - Dec 6 with 7490 viewsYallop

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:07 - Dec 6 by catch74

I was surprised Rashid wasn’t taken as cover for Ali, more experienced and can bat a bit. The only changes we can make with the players available would be to drop Vince and bat Bairstow at five, Malan four and get the other keeper (Foakes?) in. Mark Wood should play in the next warm up game and he’s an option - although would be harsh on Overton the ink Perth needs pace in the attack. Plunkett should be out there too.

Rashid isn't playing enough red ball cricket to be considered. Jack Leach is the spinner so unlucky to not be out there. Consistently taking wickets last couple of seasons.

For Perth I'd also leave out Vince. Play Malan at 3, Bairstow at 5 and bring in Foakes (Colchester lad).
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:53 - Dec 6 with 7448 viewsMaySixth

Andrew Strauss is to blame for me wen you look at the big picture.

He does nothing positive and his changes to the CC have really tarnished the quality of batting coming through.

Teflon Strauss - nothing ever sticks to him.

His march to be a Tory MP continues unchecked.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 16:52 - Dec 6 with 7421 viewsblue_oyster

A whitewash now seems fairly likely.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:11 - Dec 6 with 7417 viewsHerbivore

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:32 - Dec 5 by Herbivore

Need to try not to lose any early wickets then see off the new ball. If Woakes could add a handy 30 or so alongside Root in the first hour that'd be ideal, then just need to see off the new ball and the game is there for the taking. Won't happen though, we'll collapse and lose by about 100 runs.

I was overly optimistic.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:22 - Dec 6 with 7411 viewsPJH

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:11 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

I was overly optimistic.

Did go one ball without losing an early wicket.
Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:32 - Dec 6 with 7406 viewsPJH

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:26 - Dec 6 by christiand

For the last day and half England have fought their way back in to the contest and then this morning gone down with a whimper.

But only had the chance to get back into the contest because the follow on was not enforced.
If England had won the decision not to enforce would have lived with Smith for the rest of his career and beyond.
Quite possibly if he had enforced the follow on the game would have been over 24 hours earlier.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:19 - Dec 6 with 7334 viewsMaySixth

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 14:18 - Dec 6 by Yallop

Rashid isn't playing enough red ball cricket to be considered. Jack Leach is the spinner so unlucky to not be out there. Consistently taking wickets last couple of seasons.

For Perth I'd also leave out Vince. Play Malan at 3, Bairstow at 5 and bring in Foakes (Colchester lad).

They won't make any changes for Perth.

Only three innings ago Vince played beautifully for England.

They won't throw him out after one bad Test for a debutant.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:31 - Dec 6 with 7325 viewsYallop

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:19 - Dec 6 by MaySixth

They won't make any changes for Perth.

Only three innings ago Vince played beautifully for England.

They won't throw him out after one bad Test for a debutant.

The problem with Vince is that it's his third series and he's still getting out with his wafty drive the same as his previous spell in the side when Sri Lanka and Pakistan found him out.

Perth is the last place you need a wafty drive, hence why I'd leave him out.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:55 - Dec 7 with 7239 viewsHerbivore

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:31 - Dec 6 by Yallop

The problem with Vince is that it's his third series and he's still getting out with his wafty drive the same as his previous spell in the side when Sri Lanka and Pakistan found him out.

Perth is the last place you need a wafty drive, hence why I'd leave him out.

This. He's had previous chances and he doesn't seem to have learnt. He's had one good innings in his entire test career and keeps getting out in the same way, he's just not up to it. Saying that, he's not alone in that respect.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:45 - Dec 7 with 7211 viewsfarkenhell

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:22 - Dec 6 by PJH

Did go one ball without losing an early wicket.

...and you did redeem yourself with your final sentence!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:45 - Dec 7 with 7193 viewsMaySixth

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:55 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

This. He's had previous chances and he doesn't seem to have learnt. He's had one good innings in his entire test career and keeps getting out in the same way, he's just not up to it. Saying that, he's not alone in that respect.

"doesn't seem to have learnt" i.e hasn't changed the way he plays

good on him

far better than Ballance

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:30 - Dec 7 with 7183 viewsYallop

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:45 - Dec 7 by MaySixth

"doesn't seem to have learnt" i.e hasn't changed the way he plays

good on him

far better than Ballance

He needs to change the way he plays because anything outside of off stump he's nicking. With the bounce of Perth I can't see him hanging around (would love to be proved wrong!).

I also agree that Balance is not a number 3 at test level. Hence why I'd move Malan up as he potentially seems to be able to stick around!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:04 - Dec 7 with 7152 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:30 - Dec 7 by Yallop

He needs to change the way he plays because anything outside of off stump he's nicking. With the bounce of Perth I can't see him hanging around (would love to be proved wrong!).

I also agree that Balance is not a number 3 at test level. Hence why I'd move Malan up as he potentially seems to be able to stick around!

I think there is a test player in Vince he can play some lovely cover drives.
Just needs someone to get hold of him and work on his weakness outside off
stump. He can get away with it in county cricket, but not at the highest level.
Ballance looks a walking wicket to me, does get off the crease line. Pitch it up
you’ve got him lbw all day long!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:07 - Dec 7 with 7150 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:32 - Dec 6 by PJH

But only had the chance to get back into the contest because the follow on was not enforced.
If England had won the decision not to enforce would have lived with Smith for the rest of his career and beyond.
Quite possibly if he had enforced the follow on the game would have been over 24 hours earlier.

Rested his pace bowlers, when you look at the outcome of the test it was the correct call by Smith. He really is in a good position he has spinner in Lyon who holds down an end and he can just rotate his quick bowlers. We look lightyears behind.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:19 - Dec 7 with 7146 viewsPJH

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:07 - Dec 7 by christiand

Rested his pace bowlers, when you look at the outcome of the test it was the correct call by Smith. He really is in a good position he has spinner in Lyon who holds down an end and he can just rotate his quick bowlers. We look lightyears behind.

It turned out ok for him in the end and I understand why he did it but I imagine at the end of the 4th day(if not before) he was wondering if he had made a huge error.
If he had enforced the follow on it could well have been England 50 odd for 4 on the 3rd evening in which case an innings victory would probably have been sewn up on the 4th morning.
I fully understand about resting his quicks but by not enforcing it and then getting bowled out cheaply it gave England an outside chance of winning which I do not think would have existed if the follow on had been enforced.
Although not duty bound to do so he apparently did not ask his bowlers about whether to enforce or not.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:45 - Dec 9 with 6927 viewsjimsymBLUE

Its nice to see however dogsh!te we might be on the pitch at least our boy's are still enjoying their time off!!
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21715952/ben-duckett-investigated-alcohol

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:57 - Dec 13 with 6709 viewsTLA

Anyone fancy some cricket?

Edit - anyone fancy some cricket tomorrow? I got my days mixed up after hearing so much on the radio today! I'll blame having a cold and feeling rubbish...
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 2:27]
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:31 - Dec 13 with 6637 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:57 - Dec 13 by TLA

Anyone fancy some cricket?

Edit - anyone fancy some cricket tomorrow? I got my days mixed up after hearing so much on the radio today! I'll blame having a cold and feeling rubbish...
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 2:27]

You too eh? I'm actually off work I'm so bad at the moment. I'm never off sick between jan and Nov then suddenly I'm hit with a corker every start of December, without fail. Consequently I'll be watching each session I should imagine.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:59 - Dec 13 with 6632 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:31 - Dec 13 by gainsboroughblue

You too eh? I'm actually off work I'm so bad at the moment. I'm never off sick between jan and Nov then suddenly I'm hit with a corker every start of December, without fail. Consequently I'll be watching each session I should imagine.

I've been working through the cold/cough but much of that has been from home. It really does feel like an end of year collapse though, which leads nicely onto our batting - that change of places for Jonny and Moeen should make all the difference!

I think we need to bat first in this one, which should go well if you're watching every ball…

To be honest, I just want the series to be alive for the boxing day test, but I'd be surprised if it is.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:22 - Dec 13 with 6607 viewsTHAILAND_BLUE

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:59 - Dec 13 by TLA

I've been working through the cold/cough but much of that has been from home. It really does feel like an end of year collapse though, which leads nicely onto our batting - that change of places for Jonny and Moeen should make all the difference!

I think we need to bat first in this one, which should go well if you're watching every ball…

To be honest, I just want the series to be alive for the boxing day test, but I'd be surprised if it is.

I'd also change Root and Vince around. Vince is not a number 3 batsmen.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:38 - Dec 13 with 6602 viewsgainsboroughblue

Right. Bed for a few hours then get up, or stay up till it starts?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:16 - Dec 14 with 6582 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:38 - Dec 13 by gainsboroughblue

Right. Bed for a few hours then get up, or stay up till it starts?

I'm staying up.

What time does it start?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024