Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 310085 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:38 - Nov 23 with 5559 viewsgainsboroughblue

Aussies chasing leather. Brilliant.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:39 - Nov 23 with 5559 viewsjimsymBLUE

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:36 - Nov 23 by jimsymBLUE

5 live doesn't work abroad unfortunately, right palava

Found something called guerilla cricket!! Its not quite Agnew but better than nowt!!

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:42 - Nov 23 with 5553 viewsvapour_trail

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:39 - Nov 23 by jimsymBLUE

Found something called guerilla cricket!! Its not quite Agnew but better than nowt!!

Aggers with the wonderful Tuffnel presently, who has already gone well off piste.

I’ve not secured a feed as I was passed out too early last night and expecting to be again tonight.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:26 - Nov 24 with 5517 viewsconnorscontract

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 23:42 - Nov 23 by vapour_trail

Aggers with the wonderful Tuffnel presently, who has already gone well off piste.

I’ve not secured a feed as I was passed out too early last night and expecting to be again tonight.

The game plan is clearly to see off the new ball. I heard them say yesterday that the Kookaburra ball remains "new" for between 15 and 20 overs.

13 down, 2 to 7 to go...

Then I think the scoring rate will increase.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:35 - Nov 24 with 5513 viewsconnorscontract

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:26 - Nov 24 by connorscontract

The game plan is clearly to see off the new ball. I heard them say yesterday that the Kookaburra ball remains "new" for between 15 and 20 overs.

13 down, 2 to 7 to go...

Oooh... Starc, one of the only 3 Aussie pacers, has just collided with a team mate on the boundary and got spiked on the knee/thigh for his troubles.

It's no Didsy assault, but blood was visible and he's gone off.

I just don't understand how any team can go into a Test Match on a fast pitch (normally) with only 3 seamers. Especially with the Aussie pacers' injury record.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:37 - Nov 24 with 5511 viewsconnorscontract

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:26 - Nov 24 by connorscontract

13 down, 2 to 7 to go...

They've already picked up the run rate from pretty much the next over after that post.

This is good cricket. Lots happening. Lyon the scrote is getting them to rip a bit.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:48 - Nov 24 with 5503 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Shot! Shot! Shot! Shot! Some lovely strikes from Alli and Malan in this opening session of day 2 as England march on. Lyon is getting some real turn and bounce off this pitch with the new ball and looks the threat. A beautifully flighted off breaker to the left handed Alli and missing his outsiden edge by inches being the pick of the bunch. The pace bowlers are offering very little threat so far with Malan particularly finding the rope on several occasions.

234-4

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:49 - Nov 24 with 5502 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:48 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Shot! Shot! Shot! Shot! Some lovely strikes from Alli and Malan in this opening session of day 2 as England march on. Lyon is getting some real turn and bounce off this pitch with the new ball and looks the threat. A beautifully flighted off breaker to the left handed Alli and missing his outsiden edge by inches being the pick of the bunch. The pace bowlers are offering very little threat so far with Malan particularly finding the rope on several occasions.

234-4

Milestone, drinks break. Knuckle down, start again.

Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:06 - Nov 24 with 5487 viewsgainsboroughblue

The bloody times we lose a wicket like that. Could see it coming a mile off. Another start not converted.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:10 - Nov 24 with 5482 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET!🚨

Starc gets Malan with the short ball. Malan had been pulling the ball so well but this one seemed to rise on him and it flies off the top edge out to Marsh at deep square leg for the simple catch. A good innings from Malan but you sense that was a big opportunity missed from him there on a very un-Australian pitch.

Could be a big half hour for England now.

246-5

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:11 - Nov 24 with 5480 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:06 - Nov 24 by gainsboroughblue

The bloody times we lose a wicket like that. Could see it coming a mile off. Another start not converted.

A frustrating one as he was going so well. Might not get a better chance than that for a ton. Pitch is very different to usual

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:15 - Nov 24 with 5471 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET! 🚨

One brings two. Lyon traps Alli with the LBW. Beat him in the air and gets the pad first. Umpire proven correct even after a hopeful review from Moeen and suddenly England find themselves in their tail. A big half hour is now an enormous half hour.

249-6

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:22 - Nov 24 with 5458 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:15 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET! 🚨

One brings two. Lyon traps Alli with the LBW. Beat him in the air and gets the pad first. Umpire proven correct even after a hopeful review from Moeen and suddenly England find themselves in their tail. A big half hour is now an enormous half hour.

249-6

Morning Rommy.

Twenty minutes ago I was thinking that target of 350 might need to be revised upwards - now 300 seems a way off. That's the beauty of test cricket.

And there's another!!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:27 - Nov 24 with 5453 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET!🚨

Here we go. Here we go. It's another wicket for Australia and this time Woakes falls. He gets beaten by the spin but it's a really poor shot. He's loosely tried to drive it through the covers but is out for a duck. It's a good delivery but it's also a really terrible cricket shot. Not one for the purists amongst us (I'm looking at you TLA).

Suddenly there are green caps everywhere around the bar whilst Lyon bowls as the two new batsman look very shaky. Worrying for England that we've seemingly batted well but could be in danger of being bowled out before even reaching 300.

250-7

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:28 - Nov 24 with 5452 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:22 - Nov 24 by TLA

Morning Rommy.

Twenty minutes ago I was thinking that target of 350 might need to be revised upwards - now 300 seems a way off. That's the beauty of test cricket.

And there's another!!

Morning bud! Well evening for me. Was hoping to see your name pop up on here tonight. Some good cricket chat.

What you making of it all so far then? I'd say we have batted well but haven't scored the runs to show for it. If that makes sense?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:44 - Nov 24 with 5440 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:28 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Morning bud! Well evening for me. Was hoping to see your name pop up on here tonight. Some good cricket chat.

What you making of it all so far then? I'd say we have batted well but haven't scored the runs to show for it. If that makes sense?

Hey Rommy - it's evening for me too really. I love the overnight cricket but a long working day after two hours sleep was hard - so much so that I'm doing it all again tonight!

I think you're spot on with that assessment. There has been some very good bowling and a few poor shots but the scoring rate always meant a good position could become a less than good one.

Bairstow needs to help the tail get another 60 or 70, which looks a tall order.

If Warner gets them off to a quick start, we could look in trouble by the end of the day.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:47 - Nov 24 with 5430 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:44 - Nov 24 by TLA

Hey Rommy - it's evening for me too really. I love the overnight cricket but a long working day after two hours sleep was hard - so much so that I'm doing it all again tonight!

I think you're spot on with that assessment. There has been some very good bowling and a few poor shots but the scoring rate always meant a good position could become a less than good one.

If Warner gets them off to a quick start, we could look in trouble by the end of the day.

Drinks break onwards has been shocking. This is so typical of England. That first hour had really started to give us the upper hand.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:49 - Nov 24 with 5428 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET!🚨

This is now a full scale collapse from our middle order. Bairstow out for a quack trying to smash a ball over cal corner. Instead it goes straight up and the wicket keeper gets round to take the catch when it finally came down from space. Ball in now but it would be a surprise if he can survive this onslaught. We are now in huge danger of scoring less than par.

270-8

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:51 - Nov 24 with 5426 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:44 - Nov 24 by TLA

Yeah warner is a big wicket because if he gets going, he will score at 4 or 5 an over and potentially score a 100 in a session. That's a big worry for England.

Ball and Broad look shaky

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:54 - Nov 24 with 5420 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:51 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Yeah warner is a big wicket because if he gets going, he will score at 4 or 5 an over and potentially score a 100 in a session. That's a big worry for England.

Not sure how long this will last but Ball has come out and decided he's having a swing

But swinging at a spinner is not really the same as facing Cummings bowling 90mph at your chin

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:55 - Nov 24 with 5419 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:51 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I was going to joke about a quick 50 from Broady. It looks like I got the wrong one and that Jake Ball is going to come to our rescue!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:06 - Nov 24 with 5408 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET!🚨

Sharp catch from David Warner at leg slip as Ball tickles one down the leg side with moments of the session to go. Starc was on for one over to do just that. Short ball bowling pays off.

Now we are 9 wickets down, lunch won't be taken until the last wicket comes or half an hour passes. Hopefully the latter. 14 needed for 300 which would be huge psychologically.

286-9

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:15 - Nov 24 with 5400 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Boom! 300 up for England!

Some slogging and a drop on the boundary means we are into the 300+ scores. Which is always the minimal for the first innings of a test match to start strongly.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:20 - Nov 24 with 5393 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

🚨WICKET! Innings! And lunch!🚨

A good session for the neautral but a great one for the Aussies. England all out for 302 as Broad pulls up and out to Handscomb to catch from Hazlewoods delivery.

Important late runs from the tail to get us to over 300. A decent score but could've been better if someone who got a good start, hung about.

But we will take that.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:20 - Nov 24 with 5391 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:15 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Boom! 300 up for England!

Some slogging and a drop on the boundary means we are into the 300+ scores. Which is always the minimal for the first innings of a test match to start strongly.

All gone!

It feels 60 or 70 short, which is what you'd expect at the very least from Cook, Root and Bairstow.

We need Warner and Smith to struggle in a similar way. I always expect Warner to get a ton, and pretty quickly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024