Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheffield Wednesday Supporters’ Match-Day Thoughts… 17:09 - Nov 22 with 1339 viewsHarryfromBath

I have had a rummage around Owls’ message-boards this afternoon to gather their musings ahead of tonight’s game. They had little to say over the weekend and were more preoccupied with their 0-0 stalemate at home to the Robins in which they failed to land a shot on target.

“If I was putting money on tonight's result, though, I'd say a no-score draw.” The widely-held view is that tonight’s game will be a dull affair in front of the Sky TV cameras. The overwhelmingly popular score forecast is a 0-0 draw and the majority of Owls would see a point tonight as a decent outcome.

“This game has ‘draw’ written all over it”, “We haven’t had a clean sheet in ages before Saturday, things are sometimes like buses. It wouldn’t surprise me if got another”, “You could really throw a coin to decide this one. Ipswich don't concede many at home. Wednesday don't score many away.”

“My mates a season ticket holder at Ipswich. He's as optimistic about their chances as we are of ours”, “As one who has low standards and no ambition I'd be happy with another 0-0, a decent point”, “I’m not expecting a pretty game”, “A bold claim but I reckon we will have a shot on target.”

“Happy for a draw tonight but preferably a score-draw and a bit of excitement”, “Tough game. Like many other teams in the Championship, Ipswich are pretty physical, full of running and direct. We generally struggle in games like this, but hopefully we'll be fired after the bore-fest on Saturday.”

“We are gonna lose or draw and it's gonna be drab”, “Ipswich pack the midfield and have a couple of fast wide players (faster than ours). I can only see a loss tonight. Something has to done when we keep getting overrun in the middle of the park, and that's exactly what's going to happen tonight.”

“We won at Portman Road last season when our form was great and they had nothing to play for. I can't see a repeat tonight. We will go into the game in a defensive and negative manner hoping to hold out for as long as we can. I see Mick's team of sloggers breaking us down after a while."

One Owl put together this tactical summation in a match preview: “Ipswich as a team play like their manager talks. Quite bluntly! They might be considered old fashioned. A far cry from the days of Alf Ramsey instilling push and run football and Bobby Robson's Euro side.

“Mick likes his sides to get the ball forward quickly. Some might call it dinosaur football, but within that he likes to make sure they don't leave the back door open and as a McCarthy side, I'm sure you won't need telling that they will all be putting a shift in to get back and get a foot in.

“Their midfield like to get forward and support Joe Garner up front. The former Preston man has been a shrewd signing for Big Mick. With four in 14 he's not prolific but his ability to work the front line alone and bring others into play has been a real bonus to the Suffolk club.

“The goal scoring statistics show that the attacking midfield triumvirate of Celina, Waghorn and McGoldrick get forward to support Garner knowing that there is a defensive fulcrum of Skuse and Connolly behind them.”

A number of Owls picked up on Mick’s comments about their manager. “All those who knock Carlos Carvalhal could do well to listen to Mr McCarthy because I think they are pretty similar characters when it comes to what they want from the game and how they see the Championship.”

“I quite like Mick, he’s far more amiable than some of the shysters who manage clubs”, “He talks a lot of sense and there is obviously a real respect and friendship between him and Carvalhal. Tough game tonight because it's obvious both managers have done their homework. I'd be happy with a draw.”

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Sheffield Wednesday Supporters’ Match-Day Thoughts… on 18:01 - Nov 22 with 1168 viewsbackwaywhen

Pack our midfield ...he has obviously not seen our 2 only in the middle !
Sheffield Wednesday Supporters’ Match-Day Thoughts… on 21:54 - Nov 22 with 918 viewsMVBlue

Ipswich play like their manager, bluntly? Not what I saw...
The amount of blatant fouls tonight by them was at least 3, DIRTY WEDNESDAY.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024