Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unprovoked Attack 09:08 - Nov 23 with 23296 viewsGodalmingOwl

Away fan, been going for 30+ years and seen Wednesday at Portman Road best part of 20 occasions.
Last night my father was attacked, totally unprovoked. He was punched a few times down an alley behind your main home end (residential on one side) that leads to a main road.

We hadn't been drinking (wish I had, might have made our turgid performance marginally more bearable). We weren't wearing colours. We don't have northern/Sheffield accents. We weren't taking any joy afterwards from our injury time equaliser, more lamenting our listless display, devoid of ambition. There wasn't even a brush past or a treading on toes, or a conversation as we were walking down. Even if any of this were the case, so what?

This guy (early 30s), decided to pick on my Dad for no reason at all. My Dad is 61. The guy was clearly drunk (possibly on something else, too?). My Dad almost certainly has a broken nose. Against my better judgement (or may be it was my better judgement?) I didn't hit the guy and told my Dad to run and get away from it.

My point is who the hell does this? We could have easily been Ipswich fans. You guys rightly have a reputation for being a friendly, welcoming down to earth bunch. If you saw anything, please let me know.
Unprovoked Attack on 09:16 - Nov 23 with 12438 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Have you seen the 08:19 threed (Pendejo) ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Unprovoked Attack on 09:16 - Nov 23 with 12448 viewsevansblue

Sorry to hear about this. Our fans are generally pretty decent but there are unfortunately a few people out there that let us down. It baffles and disgusts me that anyone thinks its ok to attack an innocent person and I sincerely hope your dad makes a speedy recovery.
Unprovoked Attack on 09:20 - Nov 23 with 12407 viewsSteve_M

Very sorry to hear that. Hope your father recovers quickly.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Unprovoked Attack on 09:20 - Nov 23 with 12415 viewsmo_itfc

I think this is a story in our local news.

hopefully the police will deal with this quickly!

Hope you're dad is ok!
It's a real shame people chose to act like that. Hope this doesn't put you off coming back in the future.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Unprovoked Attack on 09:21 - Nov 23 with 12416 viewsartsbossbeard

I've seen this reported locally and I feel quite upset for you Dad and you.

We are a friendly bunch in the main and I'd suspect that the lad involved has nothing to do with football as it's also been reported that he was hitting others earlier and Old Bill were made aware.

It can be a nasty little area of Town, unfortunately. Drug use is rife around the bridge to the station.

Again, sorry to hear that this happened and I hope your Dad recovers well. Drop me a PM nearer the time and I'll get you both a pre match beer next season when our paths no doubt cross again.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Unprovoked Attack on 09:28 - Nov 23 with 12332 viewsITFC_Forever

It was on the local radio station and there was a report of a man rampaging around near the ground last night, shouting at people and attacking one man (your father by the sounds of it).
There's every chance it's not football related and he was just unlucky that he was the one who was assaulted.... I hope he recovers soon.

Best of luck - always had a lot of time for Sheffield Wednesday, a proper club with excellent support. Bringing 1,100 down here for a Wednesday night game, on tv and at an expensive time of year is a great effort.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 13:39]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Unprovoked Attack on 09:33 - Nov 23 with 12275 viewschicoazul

Here is a link to the Evening Star website with details; http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/elderly-man-assaulted-in-alderman-road-park-af

Well out of order so if anyone knows this dckhead please call the number on the Star website.

Best wishes to your father GodalmingOwl.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sorry to hear this, sounds awful.... on 09:37 - Nov 23 with 12235 viewsBloots

....doesn't sound like it's football related to me though, not that that is any excuse obviously.

Most of our fans are decent, or just don't care enough to do something like this.

I hope he recovers fully and that it doesn't taint your opinion of our Football Club or it's fans.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 9:41]

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Login to get fewer ads

Unprovoked Attack on 09:39 - Nov 23 with 12192 viewsJ2BLUE

Sorry to you and your dad. Among the vast majority of Town fans our reputation as a friendly club is something we value but unfortunately, like all clubs, we have our share of idiots. I hope the idiot responsible is caught quickly and punished accordingly.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Unprovoked Attack on 09:46 - Nov 23 with 12142 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

From the report.....
"Just prior to this assault a male fitting this description was reporting having assaulted other members of the public and seen to be jumping in and out of traffic."
.....my guess is it was not football related not that it will make a difference to your father. Hope you both take up ABB's offer of a beer next year and that Dad is not too sore this morning.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 9:47]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Unprovoked Attack on 09:48 - Nov 23 with 12115 viewsWoodsFriesRice

Sorry to hear that.

It doesn't sound like he was picked on as a Wednesday fan.

Let's hope that some of the thousands, errr hundreds, errr tens of fans leaving at that time saw it, and he gets what he deserves.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your dad.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 9:49]

Poll: Which of these players (in their prime) would most help our present team?

Unprovoked Attack on 09:52 - Nov 23 with 12060 viewsEdwardStone

Just to echo the thoughts of others

Best wishes to your Dad, it sounds that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time
Unprovoked Attack on 09:54 - Nov 23 with 12043 viewsArnieM

VERY sorry to hear this GodlamingOwl. Please be assured this is not indicative of Town fans as a rule.

I stood in the SBR lower stand last night and there was a Town fan who was so drunk he could barely walk unaided. How the hell he even got in the ground is a mystery. He was about 5ft 8ins , short dark hair and of stocky build and a bit overweight.

Not saying it's this individual, but just telling you about a possible candidate. Although he was so drunk , suspect he'd have ended up on his arse if he'd tried to take a swing at anyone.

Hope your dad recovers soon , and don't let this stop you coming to PR games. I like it when Wednesdaites come to PR, as you usually make a good away showing and a lot of noise!
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 9:57]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Unprovoked Attack on 09:55 - Nov 23 with 12036 viewsGuthrum

Hope they catch the b- and throw the book at him. Also a full and speedy recovery for your father.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Unprovoked Attack on 09:56 - Nov 23 with 12021 viewsBasuco

Sorry to hear that hope he recovers quickly, I walked that way back to the car and there was not any fans particularly upset with the late goal, most were moaning about time wasting free kicks and not keeping up the pressure on your defence. I didn't see anyone who it could have been and feel bad that this should happen at Ipswich, we enjoy easy visits to all grounds except nodge and pride ourselves on being a family friendly club. Hopefully this will be proved to be a non football related incident although that is no consolation for your father.
Unprovoked Attack on 11:06 - Nov 23 with 11830 viewsSitfcB

Sorry to hear that.

They're reporting it on the local radio as well, hopefully he will caught. I doubt the bloke had even been to the game and was just some random nutter.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Unprovoked Attack on 11:13 - Nov 23 with 11781 viewsWestSussexBlue

Real sorry to read this, I’m guessing it was a random mindless act and not hopefully because you are Wednesday fans. Very best wishes to your Dad.
All the best for the rest of the season.
Unprovoked Attack on 11:27 - Nov 23 with 11717 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sounds like it probably wasnt a 'fan', just a THUG.

Shameful behavior, hope your dad is OK.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Unprovoked Attack on 11:38 - Nov 23 with 11617 viewsblue_oyster

Very sorry to hear about this shocking attack on your father. Can you remember what the thug said to either of you that might give us a clue that might help identify him?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Unprovoked Attack on 11:43 - Nov 23 with 11580 viewsmickeyjb

Like everyone that’s reply’d, I believe Thais wasn’t one of our Fans just some local d**k waisted on some substance. Hope your old man makes a full recovery and wants to return to Portman Road in the future.
Unprovoked Attack on 11:44 - Nov 23 with 11563 viewshype313

Unprovoked Attack on 11:38 - Nov 23 by blue_oyster

Very sorry to hear about this shocking attack on your father. Can you remember what the thug said to either of you that might give us a clue that might help identify him?

He was a local nutjob high on something, and it was nothing to do with any football affiliation, just someone randomly attacking people at will.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Unprovoked Attack on 11:45 - Nov 23 with 11536 viewsblue_oyster

Unprovoked Attack on 11:44 - Nov 23 by hype313

He was a local nutjob high on something, and it was nothing to do with any football affiliation, just someone randomly attacking people at will.

Really, how do you know that?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

on 11:49 - Nov 23 with 11509 views_

Unprovoked Attack on 11:45 - Nov 23 by blue_oyster

Unprovoked Attack on 11:54 - Nov 23 with 11445 viewsbritbiker

Great Shane to hear this even if it does turn out not to be football related as it will always remain in your dad's memory.
Unfortunately we are too tolerant of drunk and drugged yobs. Wish we could bring back hard labour for louts being drunk is too often used as a defence in court. Sorry but it's a choice being drunk and should incur a tougher penalty, not an excuse to minimise a sentence.
I have always classed Sheffield Wednesday fans as one of the best travelling fans. Always vocal and not delusional like some in this league
Unprovoked Attack on 11:59 - Nov 23 with 11390 viewshype313

Unprovoked Attack on 11:45 - Nov 23 by blue_oyster

My uncle is a local plod.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024