Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. 14:25 - Nov 23 with 4308 viewstextbackup

The likes of De Vos etc... so many stupid mistakes currently.

Spence was extremely poor lastnight, 3/4 passes out for a throw in, ran it out of play twice. Poor control, poor positioning

Webster is really struggling to find any form at the mo, why is he trying all these diagonal balls to nobody? Where's the bloke that was playing it nicely out from the back? (Maybe managers instruction/influence)

Chambers made some decent interceptions, but I can't help feel he's on his own back there.

(And before it's suggested - Berra wasn't that experienced head, he had many many errors in him)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:28 - Nov 23 with 4284 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think we've replaced Berra, in that real battling centre half who wuld win everything in the air and go toe to toe with good strikers.

Webster is struggling a bit, he was really poor vs Hull - got caught out by the bounce a couple of times.

THink it's just important to give the back 4 of Knudsen-Webster-Chambers-Spence a good run together to try and work into some form and understanding for better or worse currently - hard when we have to keep chopping and changing due to injury and suspension.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:28 - Nov 23 with 4282 viewsHerbivore

The defence was generally good last night, they weren't to blame for the equaliser. Granted Spence ballsed up for the penalty although I suspect it wouldn't have been given at the other end.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:34 - Nov 23 with 4248 viewstextbackup

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:28 - Nov 23 by itfcjoe

I don't think we've replaced Berra, in that real battling centre half who wuld win everything in the air and go toe to toe with good strikers.

Webster is struggling a bit, he was really poor vs Hull - got caught out by the bounce a couple of times.

THink it's just important to give the back 4 of Knudsen-Webster-Chambers-Spence a good run together to try and work into some form and understanding for better or worse currently - hard when we have to keep chopping and changing due to injury and suspension.

I just mean chambers looks like he's playing 4 blokes games at times, all well and good talking to them to help them out, but he's literally instructing Spence all game. He looked lost at times

Someone like Matt Elliot would be a dream now! Two talking CBs

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:35 - Nov 23 with 4251 viewsPJH

Strange how many of those diagonal balls by Webster to nobody landed at the feet or on the chest of one of our players.
I suppose that was just a coincidence that they happened to be standing near where one of those diagonal balls to nobody went.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 14:38]
We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:44 - Nov 23 with 4210 viewschristiand

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:28 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

The defence was generally good last night, they weren't to blame for the equaliser. Granted Spence ballsed up for the penalty although I suspect it wouldn't have been given at the other end.

Even at the time Herbivore if that had been the other end there wouldn't have been one Ipswich Town fan not expecting a penalty. Spence knew what he was doing there, look at how there wasn't much protest afterwards. That's normally the clue.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:44 - Nov 23 with 4205 viewsScuzzer

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:35 - Nov 23 by PJH

Strange how many of those diagonal balls by Webster to nobody landed at the feet or on the chest of one of our players.
I suppose that was just a coincidence that they happened to be standing near where one of those diagonal balls to nobody went.

Strangely I agree with the other guy....and this has been the case since with Webster's return to the team. Not enough of hose 'long balls' seem to find anyone. Last night I felt Kenlock as much more successful in doing this.

Established 1968

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:47 - Nov 23 with 4195 viewstextbackup

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:35 - Nov 23 by PJH

But they really didn't, did they. Multiple times Garner challenged but didn't win them, same with Didz.
And even when they did very rarely was anyone close enough to do anything with the flick on

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:48 - Nov 23 with 4189 viewsPJH

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:44 - Nov 23 by Scuzzer

Strangely I agree with the other guy....and this has been the case since with Webster's return to the team. Not enough of hose 'long balls' seem to find anyone. Last night I felt Kenlock as much more successful in doing this.

From where I was sat most of them seemed to arrive with McG or whoever else was out on the right side in the first half.
Maybe that was just the impression that I got.
Login to get fewer ads

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 15:41 - Nov 23 with 4092 viewsJ2BLUE

Ahh De Vos, I don't think we truly appreciated at the time how good he was.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 16:00 - Nov 23 with 4058 viewsReuser_is_God

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:48 - Nov 23 by PJH

From where I was sat most of them seemed to arrive with McG or whoever else was out on the right side in the first half.
Maybe that was just the impression that I got.

Not the ones Webster played.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 16:00 - Nov 23 with 4057 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tony Mowbray.

David Linighan.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 16:53 - Nov 23 with 3984 viewsElderGrizzly

Agree, most found their target and Webster is the best ball playing CB we’ve had for years.

He is also having to go long as we have no-one in midfield to take it off him with the four attackers we are playing. Skuse and Connolly are just not that comfortable on the ball.

He is more than capable of bringing the ball out or passing short, but has clearly been instructed by Mick to ‘hit them early’ to try and cut out any costly mistakes at the back, plus to make us more on the front foot

However, i agree with Joe earlier, we need to let our back 4 have a run of games, not change them every couple of games. Form will hopefully come with understanding.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 16:54]
We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:12 - Nov 23 with 3940 viewsHerbivore

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 14:44 - Nov 23 by christiand

Even at the time Herbivore if that had been the other end there wouldn't have been one Ipswich Town fan not expecting a penalty. Spence knew what he was doing there, look at how there wasn't much protest afterwards. That's normally the clue.

I'm not saying it was an incorrect decision, it was a pen although one of those that easily gets missed by refs and I suspect he'd have missed it if it'd been in the other box.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:16 - Nov 23 with 3933 viewstextbackup

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 16:53 - Nov 23 by ElderGrizzly

Agree, most found their target and Webster is the best ball playing CB we’ve had for years.

He is also having to go long as we have no-one in midfield to take it off him with the four attackers we are playing. Skuse and Connolly are just not that comfortable on the ball.

He is more than capable of bringing the ball out or passing short, but has clearly been instructed by Mick to ‘hit them early’ to try and cut out any costly mistakes at the back, plus to make us more on the front foot

However, i agree with Joe earlier, we need to let our back 4 have a run of games, not change them every couple of games. Form will hopefully come with understanding.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 16:54]

MM said on the radio before the game that connelly was frustrated at not getting the ball to feet more often to have play go through him, his exact words

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:20 - Nov 23 with 3919 viewsCaptainObvious

Mrs McCluskey?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:22 - Nov 23 with 3917 viewsElderGrizzly

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:16 - Nov 23 by textbackup

MM said on the radio before the game that connelly was frustrated at not getting the ball to feet more often to have play go through him, his exact words

He might be frustrated, but MM has also said he’s asked the centre backs to go longer, earlier.

Confusion within the team it appears
We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:34 - Nov 23 with 3892 viewstextbackup

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:22 - Nov 23 by ElderGrizzly

He might be frustrated, but MM has also said he’s asked the centre backs to go longer, earlier.

Well yeah, that's apparent to see it times, between the footballers and the squad fillers.

Seems it's either all rush and defend or wack the ball diagonal and hope there's a flick to someone/anyone.

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:36 - Nov 23 with 3894 viewsPhilTWTD

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:22 - Nov 23 by ElderGrizzly

Wasn't quite what Mick said, Connolly was more frustrated at not getting on the ball himself rather than with the defence for going too long. Thought he got on the ball more last night than he had when he first started playing in the role. Looks a very decent player.

Mick from the pre-match presser: “I think he was a bit disappointed that he didn’t have more of the ball and he wasn’t in there dictating, dominating, passing it all over [at Hull],” he said.

“I said to him, ‘Look, I’ve got four strikers on the pitch, David McGoldrick, Garns, Waggy and Bersant. They need a solid base from which to perform and if they hadn’t got that then we’d be defending a lot more.

“And he was in the right places, his positioning was really good, he won his tackles, his headers when he needed to, he tracked back, he cleared one out of the six-yard box when he had to.

“He did all that stuff that goes unseen, that water carrying that Didier Deschamps used to do so wonderfully well which enables the front players to be able to play and create their chances. I’ve been pleased with him. He’s been very good in there.”
We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:46 - Nov 23 with 3880 viewsbluefunk

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:34 - Nov 23 by textbackup

Well yeah, that's apparent to see it times, between the footballers and the squad fillers.

Seems it's either all rush and defend or wack the ball diagonal and hope there's a flick to someone/anyone.

That diagonal ball, played quickly, also had the benefit of stopping their full backs going forward quite so much. Agreed some of them didn’t find the target but there were a number that did and set up chances as a result
We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 18:22 - Nov 23 with 3826 viewsstrikalite

They're in demand that's the trouble and not too many quality ones around going cheap, watched Steven Taylor against Pompey the other night and couldn't help thinking right now we could do with him, 31 experienced, reads the game well...

Thought Spence was poor too for same reasons, there's a reason why he's found himself here, Derek McIinnes wasn't wrong I can see that...
We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 18:22 - Nov 23 with 3827 viewsblueislander

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 17:36 - Nov 23 by PhilTWTD

Wasn't quite what Mick said, Connolly was more frustrated at not getting on the ball himself rather than with the defence for going too long. Thought he got on the ball more last night than he had when he first started playing in the role. Looks a very decent player.

Mick from the pre-match presser: “I think he was a bit disappointed that he didn’t have more of the ball and he wasn’t in there dictating, dominating, passing it all over [at Hull],” he said.

“I said to him, ‘Look, I’ve got four strikers on the pitch, David McGoldrick, Garns, Waggy and Bersant. They need a solid base from which to perform and if they hadn’t got that then we’d be defending a lot more.

“And he was in the right places, his positioning was really good, he won his tackles, his headers when he needed to, he tracked back, he cleared one out of the six-yard box when he had to.

“He did all that stuff that goes unseen, that water carrying that Didier Deschamps used to do so wonderfully well which enables the front players to be able to play and create their chances. I’ve been pleased with him. He’s been very good in there.”

Our front players must be a thirsty lot. We have two water carriers in centre midfield. I suspect that Webster is not encouraged to bring the ball out of defense, which is ridiculous given that we have two defensive midfielders.
We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 18:34 - Nov 23 with 3803 viewsstrikalite

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 18:22 - Nov 23 by blueislander

Our front players must be a thirsty lot. We have two water carriers in centre midfield. I suspect that Webster is not encouraged to bring the ball out of defense, which is ridiculous given that we have two defensive midfielders.

More worrying(if you watch the game back)is the inability to bring the ball down in the middle of the pitch when there isn't another opposing player within ten yards at least, does nobody out there shout "time"....Christ I was thinking about Jim Magilton watching that, painful...just headed straight up into the air back to a Wednesday player....
We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 18:38 - Nov 23 with 3791 viewsblueislander

We are in desperate need of an experienced head at the back. on 18:34 - Nov 23 by strikalite

More worrying(if you watch the game back)is the inability to bring the ball down in the middle of the pitch when there isn't another opposing player within ten yards at least, does nobody out there shout "time"....Christ I was thinking about Jim Magilton watching that, painful...just headed straight up into the air back to a Wednesday player....

It would hurt to watch it again. My envy of Wednesday having Bannon knows no bounds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024