Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) 21:51 - Nov 23 with 1298 viewsWarkystache

Another game I missed. Sky was a very poor substitute for Luke and my motley band of SBRL Block 5'ers who doubtless stood in the chill and near silence to watch us chuck away a 2-1 win. I say 'silence' 'cos the atmosphere on telly seemed very quiet. We're not always like that, are we? It was like a morgue at times. I even heard someone in the Co-op break wind in the first half. "Hoppy" I thought. Too much Carling in the fanzone.

The reason I missed it was that work demanded my time and Birmingham is a long way from Ipswich. I did find a pub as I neared East Anglia on my journey home and they were watching the match; sadly it was in Kettering. And I couldn't have a drink. So I slurped my J2O and stood out of the way of the five young blokes near the telly who seemed more absorbed with eyeing the stranger suspiciously than the game. What type of weirdo comes in to a strange pub specifically to watch a Championship game and buys (and drinks) a J2O? It wasn't as bad as 'The Slaughtered Lamb' in An American Werewolf in London, but it was definitely a step in that direction.

We deserved the win, but I did wonder what game Mick had watched. Were we really that great? Connolly did well, and Waghorn was lively, and it was good to finally see Huws back, but it did seem a poor game between two bang-average teams, and, Didzy's novel circumcision op aside, there was precious little creativity on show. Perhaps it's me? I'm usually a bit pissed when I go to a game, and the tension does seem more pressing live than on the telly.

Anyway, I stayed for Waghorn's deft header and then thought "F*ck, I've got work tomorrow and it's 9.30. I won't be getting home 'til 11 at this rate" so I left the half of my J2O, so that the locals could sniff the bottle once I'd gone to salve their inquisitiveness ("Ere Chris, that there bloke's left 'arf 'is kiddies drink. Give it a quick once over. Oi be bettin' 'e be changin' at full moon. Give Tom and Russell a call an' tell 'em to bring the rottweilers), jumped in and sped off, looking for a drive thru McDonalds and finding instead a dazzling Burger King, staffed by people who were rejected by 'The Living Dead' for their realism.

Sated with a lukewarm Whopper and with a carton of diet coke deftly squeezed between my ample thighs, I made it home. Terry's father-in-law's funeral was today. I last saw him on Tuesday, where he was treating his cold with menthol crystals and a towel. He couldn't make the Wednesday match as Mrs Tel wanted him to stay in Stisted overnight. "Get ter see me sister-in-law so it aint all bad" he grinned. Paula ran the shop yesterday and I had to go early today so missed calling in. I did text him about 4ish when I knew the funeral had ended; he replied saying his brother-in-law was a tight bastard and he'd had one cheese roll and a French stubbie beer at the funeral tea.

I'll catch up tomorrow and report back on Sunday, as I'm going to the Villa game. Yes, sat with three Villa supporting colleagues in the Holte End. They asked me if I'd come with them and said I wouldn't be cheering much anyway, so.....I'm having a hotel on my credit card tomorrow night (Jury's Inn as they do a very nice discount for our staff) and we're having a few in the Wetherspoons down Broad Street tomorrow night. So I'll give you my honest opinion on the game for once. Trouble is, it'll be on Sunday evening 'cos I booked the Saturday night as well. It worked out fairly reasonable.

Hey ho. F*cked by a bloke with a name I can't pronounce in the 94th minute. I only learnt about that on Talksport as I drove. Sunderland fans weren't happy, nor were Man U supporters in Surrey. It was 'same old' for a lot of us Ipswich aficionados. Bloody Jordan Spence wants shooting for that handball. Some say "it's the hope that kills you". Is it balls. It's the ambivalence.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 22:46 - Nov 23 with 1209 viewsGuthrum

To be fair, whichever bits of Jordan Spence the ball hit, his hand (or, indeed arm much below the shoulder) was not amongst them. Shouldering the ball, rather than the actual Rule 12 wording of "handling".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 22:55 - Nov 23 with 1196 viewschristiand

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 22:46 - Nov 23 by Guthrum

To be fair, whichever bits of Jordan Spence the ball hit, his hand (or, indeed arm much below the shoulder) was not amongst them. Shouldering the ball, rather than the actual Rule 12 wording of "handling".

Any part of the arm is classified as a handball, not just the hand. Spence knew what he was doing, he was in trouble because the Wednesday player was right behind him. Defo penalty in my eyes. We’d have all expected it if that happened in Wednesday’s penalty area. Anyone that says differently is either a complete liar or just in denial.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 23:03 - Nov 23 with 1179 viewsStNeotsBlue

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 22:55 - Nov 23 by christiand

Any part of the arm is classified as a handball, not just the hand. Spence knew what he was doing, he was in trouble because the Wednesday player was right behind him. Defo penalty in my eyes. We’d have all expected it if that happened in Wednesday’s penalty area. Anyone that says differently is either a complete liar or just in denial.

I'd agree it was a penalty but it seemed very unnecessary there wasn't any massive danger.

It was just daft.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 23:06]
The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 23:17 - Nov 23 with 1139 viewsLuk38644

Twas rather cold Warky, the wind was rather blowy too!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024