Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea introduce a gender-neutral title prefix for supporters 07:31 - Nov 24 with 15851 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

What a crazy world we live in

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

on 12:46 - Nov 24 with 4367 views_

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 12:19 - Nov 24 by FrimleyBlue

which stuff? all i put in there is facts based on my sons schooling.

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 12:51 - Nov 24 with 4360 viewsFrimleyBlue

on 12:46 - Nov 24 by _

afraid not, many parents meetings arranged because of it.

1 of the peformances is entitled " Presents for a baby"
the other is cinderella.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2017 12:54]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

on 12:55 - Nov 24 with 4338 views_

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 12:51 - Nov 24 by FrimleyBlue

afraid not, many parents meetings arranged because of it.

1 of the peformances is entitled " Presents for a baby"
the other is cinderella.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2017 12:54]

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 12:56 - Nov 24 with 4338 viewsHerbivore

Can't really see any issue with this, lots of places offer the Mx title for people who don't identify as male or female. That seems fair enough, if people don't identify with a specific gender then they should be able to be represented by a suitable prefix that reflects that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 13:06 - Nov 24 with 4321 viewsBluebell

I have often wondered why was there always Mr. for a man whether he is married or not and Mrs. or Miss for a woman? Master could be used but never is for a single man.

I know there is Ms. for women but most people are addressed by either Miss or Mrs.

Now we are throwing Mx into the equation and pronounced MIx. Is that because they think people involved are mixed up? I would be more insulted being called that than nothing at all!
Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 13:07 - Nov 24 with 4321 viewsBrixtonBlue

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 12:19 - Nov 24 by FrimleyBlue

which stuff? all i put in there is facts based on my sons schooling.

I just googled Bah Bah Small Sheep and it doesn't exist.

Meanwhile, re: Easter Eggs...

https://www.snopes.com/cadbury-banned-easter/

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 13:12 - Nov 24 with 4310 viewsTLA

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 12:08 - Nov 24 by FrimleyBlue

very good point Gav, often wandered that myself

We'd have to add this prefix to job application forms, surely this could lead to people being ignored for interviews.

When I'm on interview panels, we no longer get given the name, gender, race, age etc. of applicants as their application should be based on suitability for the role. I think that's a good use of equality policy and law.

However, there are also times when it's important to accept that the huge majority of people identify as male and female, and both sexes face issues because of that. Women still struggle more to land senior roles in the workplace, in spite of achieving higher academically at almost every level. More men take their own lives, in spite of women reportedly being more likely to experience mental health problems. Without recognising binary genders, loads of great work, research and progress wouldn't happen.

Everyone should be be able to express their identity but, at the same time, their is a very important place for recognising gender differences for a large percentage of the population.
Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 13:19 - Nov 24 with 4300 viewsTLA

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 13:06 - Nov 24 by Bluebell

I have often wondered why was there always Mr. for a man whether he is married or not and Mrs. or Miss for a woman? Master could be used but never is for a single man.

I know there is Ms. for women but most people are addressed by either Miss or Mrs.

Now we are throwing Mx into the equation and pronounced MIx. Is that because they think people involved are mixed up? I would be more insulted being called that than nothing at all!

That's a great point Bluebell.

There's no reason that people should know the marital status of women but not men.

Whether we like it or not, people will make judgements based on that. Is a woman in her late 20s or early 30s puts 'Mrs' on an application form more likely to miss out on an opportunity because an assumption is made that she will have children and leave/require paid maternity leave? If she is 'Ms' is the assumption made that she's a feminist? I have no doubt that these things happen - we are born to make judgements!
Login to get fewer ads

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 13:58 - Nov 24 with 4272 viewsHerbivore

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 13:12 - Nov 24 by TLA

When I'm on interview panels, we no longer get given the name, gender, race, age etc. of applicants as their application should be based on suitability for the role. I think that's a good use of equality policy and law.

However, there are also times when it's important to accept that the huge majority of people identify as male and female, and both sexes face issues because of that. Women still struggle more to land senior roles in the workplace, in spite of achieving higher academically at almost every level. More men take their own lives, in spite of women reportedly being more likely to experience mental health problems. Without recognising binary genders, loads of great work, research and progress wouldn't happen.

Everyone should be be able to express their identity but, at the same time, their is a very important place for recognising gender differences for a large percentage of the population.

I agree with all of that but I don't see a small number of people - which it is in the grand scheme of things - identifying as gender neutral being an issue that would impact on still considering gender difference.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 14:05 - Nov 24 with 4258 viewschicoazul

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 12:08 - Nov 24 by FrimleyBlue

very good point Gav, often wandered that myself

We'd have to add this prefix to job application forms, surely this could lead to people being ignored for interviews.

Companies usually put Qs like that on forms for diversity monitoring, at least, thats often the excuse.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 14:07 - Nov 24 with 4259 viewsunbelievablue

Is it not Master and Mister for blokes, or is Master only kids?

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 14:08 - Nov 24 with 4257 viewsblue_oyster

We patiently await the abolition of their 'womens' team.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 14:16 - Nov 24 with 4248 viewsSuperfrans

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 07:48 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

It's the explanation of the term that gets me. Particularly this bit: 'as well as people who don’t identify with one particular gender or don’t want to be identified as being male or female.'

Don't want to be identified as make or female?!?!? It's baffling

There are plenty of the younger generation for whom gender will be a spectrum, just as sexuality is already a spectrum.

In other words, we've moved from being heterosexual only (at least legally), to homosexual and hetero, then homo, hetero, bi-sexual and now (or eventually) who cares, who wants to label it.

Likewise, gender has moved from being male/female, to male/female/trans, and will ultimately be non-specific.

I'm already aware of a friend whose 19yo son has come home and decided he doesn't want to be called Shaun any longer, he wants to be called the gender non-specific "Taylor", because he isn't certain about his gender or sexuality and doesn't want to be pigeon-holed. His friends have generally accepted it, as has his mum, but his dad wants nothing to do with it.

You know, live and let live. I wouldn't choose it for myself, but who cares how other people want to be viewed?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 14:18 - Nov 24 with 4247 viewsSuperfrans

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 10:01 - Nov 24 by Lord_Lucan

Same same.

These days people just love to find something to be offended by. Older generations are more level headed because they have had to deal with real issues like world wars.

I hate modern football and I hate modern life.

By the same token, why are you choosing to be offended by the way someone else wishes to be addressed? It has so little impact on your life.

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 14:23 - Nov 24 with 4241 viewsSuperfrans

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 13:19 - Nov 24 by TLA

That's a great point Bluebell.

There's no reason that people should know the marital status of women but not men.

Whether we like it or not, people will make judgements based on that. Is a woman in her late 20s or early 30s puts 'Mrs' on an application form more likely to miss out on an opportunity because an assumption is made that she will have children and leave/require paid maternity leave? If she is 'Ms' is the assumption made that she's a feminist? I have no doubt that these things happen - we are born to make judgements!

It's largely because we live in a patriarchal society in which men have traditionally not cared whether other men are married or not (or at least it isn't stigmatised either way), but in which married women have traditionally been considered superior to unmarried women, who are viewed with suspicion. Likewise, bachelor sends out impressions of a cool, man-about-town, sports car-driving eligible man - spinster has entirely different connotations.

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 15:24 - Nov 24 with 4189 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 12:03 - Nov 24 by GavTWTD

I think it's become more "ok" to be "different".

That said, if I understand correctly, forms will be changed so that they can enter "Mr", "Mrs", ... "Mx". Why, is it necessary for this prefix at all? Why not just name? How many organisations really need to know your sex in the first place? What difference does it make?

Agree with your second point.
The Daily Mail had an outraged headline about gender being an optional question in the census a few months back, so whatever happens it seems people will be massively offended, bar the world not moving on.
Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 16:38 - Nov 24 with 4152 viewsLord_Lucan

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 14:18 - Nov 24 by Superfrans

By the same token, why are you choosing to be offended by the way someone else wishes to be addressed? It has so little impact on your life.

Where did I say I was offended? I don't get offended by anything really, I leave that to everyone else.

In fact you've sort of proved my point. You actually seem offended that I am not offended.

Thanks for cementing things.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2017 16:40]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 16:56 - Nov 24 with 4135 viewsSuperfrans

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 16:38 - Nov 24 by Lord_Lucan

Where did I say I was offended? I don't get offended by anything really, I leave that to everyone else.

In fact you've sort of proved my point. You actually seem offended that I am not offended.

Thanks for cementing things.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2017 16:40]

Ha, I'm not all offended. But good try. ;-)

A genuinely don't give a fig. But I don't have a problem with anyone being referred to in whichever way they prefer.

Maybe you're not "offended" - but you did say, "I hate modern football and I hate modern life." You seem a little upset by this way of approaching life.

To be fair on all sides, the person who would prefer to be referred to Mx rather than MS is probably not offended either, but would just rather be referred to in that way. Just like you would rather be referred to as "Lucan" on here, rather than by your real name.

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 17:52 - Nov 24 with 4114 viewsSwansea_Blue

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 09:05 - Nov 24 by WD19

I self identify as a Wing Commander.

Great game too back in the day.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 17:54 - Nov 24 with 4111 viewsSwansea_Blue

And for those who are in no doubt that they're all woman, there's the prefix Minx!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 17:56 - Nov 24 with 4114 viewsJ2BLUE

I was in HSBC the other day and on their ATM they had 'gender neutral banking'. They had the word History with His crossed out, Herstory with Her crossed out and then 'My story' at the bottom.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 18:49 - Nov 24 with 4089 viewssundaze

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 13:07 - Nov 24 by BrixtonBlue

I just googled Bah Bah Small Sheep and it doesn't exist.

Meanwhile, re: Easter Eggs...

https://www.snopes.com/cadbury-banned-easter/

Now it's Fairy tales......

https://en.newsner.com/family/mom-two-sarah-wants-ban-fairytale-sleeping-beauty-
Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 20:28 - Nov 24 with 4053 viewsvapour_trail

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 07:43 - Nov 24 by textbackup

All this is starting to get a bit silly now, and confusion, I mean after a few you'd not be sure what you're trying to pull

Once you’ve started trying to pull texters just see it through and see what happens.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 20:31 - Nov 24 with 4054 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 17:56 - Nov 24 by J2BLUE

I was in HSBC the other day and on their ATM they had 'gender neutral banking'. They had the word History with His crossed out, Herstory with Her crossed out and then 'My story' at the bottom.

I can't be the only one thinking that that's just completely unnecessary and utterly ridiculous?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 20:39 - Nov 24 with 4043 viewsJ2BLUE

Did I miss a thread on this yesterday? on 20:31 - Nov 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I can't be the only one thinking that that's just completely unnecessary and utterly ridiculous?

Careful now Rommers

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024