Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please 18:49 - Nov 25 with 17704 viewsgtsb1966

I love long guitar riffs or solo's. Anything from Freebird to Deep Purples Child in time to Prince's Purple Rain to the Stone Roses. After watching Dave Gilmour do Comfortably Numb last week I realise there must be so many good albums with long guitar solo's featured I've never heard of. For instance, a few years ago I heard a band called Long Distance Calling and have all their stuff now so there must be other gems out there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 22:22 - Nov 26 with 6824 viewsZoloft

The Magpie Salute
Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase
Gary Clark Jr. - Live
Chris Robinson Brotherhood

Lots of great guitar work in those bands
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 22:25 - Nov 26 with 6819 viewsFootballpete

The solo in Boredom by The Buzzcocks takes some beating.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 22:37 - Nov 26 with 6808 viewsWeWereZombies

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 23:44 - Nov 26 with 6794 viewsBinner

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 21:55 - Nov 26 by WeWereZombies

Jimi H would've been 75 on Monday...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 01:04 - Nov 27 with 6784 viewsEireannach_gorm

Cant believe no one has mentioned Joe.

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 04:49 - Nov 27 with 6775 viewsIPS_wich

A few track suggestions

American X by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

At the Gates of Silent Memory (Paradise Regained) - Fields of the Nephilim - In fact the whole Elizium album

End of the Affair by Ben Howard (the last 4 minutes)

Catchfire by Jesus and Mary Chain

The extended album version of Whirring by The Joy Formidable

Lateralus (the track) by Tool

Dissolution by Ozric Tentacles
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 07:25 - Nov 27 with 6758 viewstcblue

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 01:04 - Nov 27 by Eireannach_gorm

Cant believe no one has mentioned Joe.

I did!
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 09:59 - Nov 27 with 6749 viewsEireannach_gorm

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 07:25 - Nov 27 by tcblue

I did!

You did indeed. Sorry missed that.
Login to get fewer ads

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 10:23 - Nov 27 with 6738 viewsWeWereZombies

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 23:44 - Nov 26 by Binner

Jimi H would've been 75 on Monday...

His body may be gone but the part of my thirteen year old brain that took a message in and keeps his spirit alive is still going. In fact I'll send him a neural transfer Happy 75th Jimi...

Just got a message back - 'You're not a zombie, you're a....

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 10:39 - Nov 27 with 6732 viewsWeWereZombies

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 10:23 - Nov 27 by WeWereZombies

His body may be gone but the part of my thirteen year old brain that took a message in and keeps his spirit alive is still going. In fact I'll send him a neural transfer Happy 75th Jimi...

Just got a message back - 'You're not a zombie, you're a....

And while we're commemorating spirits passed:

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 11:05 - Nov 27 with 6728 viewsjontysnut

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 20:55 - Nov 25 by Ftnfwest

Carlos Santana particularly early stuff

also John McLaughlin - strap yourself in to some Mahavishnu Orchestra. Larry Carlton's solo on Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 11:23 - Nov 27 with 6721 viewsWeWereZombies

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 11:05 - Nov 27 by jontysnut

also John McLaughlin - strap yourself in to some Mahavishnu Orchestra. Larry Carlton's solo on Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne

I've probably been insulting gtsb's intelligence by posting the obvious greats (perhaps Rommy has been listening in though...) and your suggestions I suspect are closer to the spirit of the OP. Another gem that are less well known these days is Robert Fripp's solo in the closing section of 'I Talk To The Wind', also worth checking out are Peter Banks post-Yes work with Flash and Laurie Wisefield with Home.

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 11:25 - Nov 27 with 6719 viewsFenboyBlue

I'm not really a fan of long guitar solo work in the traditional. I like the weirder stuff like Kevin Shields in My Bloody Valentine, Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo in Sonic Youth and J Mascis in Dinosaur Jr.

But if I had to recommend something that might be nearer to what you're after I'd say Neil Young "Arc/Weld" live album and Television's duelling guitars on "Marque Moon".
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 11:30 - Nov 27 with 6717 viewsStirlingArcher

If you like the general vibe of freebird (guitars-wise) then I'd definitely recommend The Outlaws - Green Grass and High Tides

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 11:59 - Nov 27 with 6708 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Used to dream of being able to play something as complex as this..

Might not be everyone's cup of tea music wise but the guitar solo from around 2:20 onward still gives me goosebumps reliving my dreams as a 14 year wannabe rockstar (who was bang average on the guitar)
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 12:24 - Nov 27 with 6698 viewsthebluewizzard

Black Country Communion - IV

Sons of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 12:26 - Nov 27 with 6698 viewsgtsb1966

Cheers all. Some great stuff here. I'm gradually getting through them. In the meantime I'll leave you with this. Got to love a bit of Fred 'sonic' Smith.

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 13:04 - Nov 27 with 6686 viewsLord_Lucan

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 12:26 - Nov 27 by gtsb1966

Cheers all. Some great stuff here. I'm gradually getting through them. In the meantime I'll leave you with this. Got to love a bit of Fred 'sonic' Smith.

This takes some beating.

[Post edited 27 Nov 2017 13:11]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 17:47 - Nov 28 with 6587 viewsEdmunds5

La la la Sixto Peralta
Poll: Transfer deadline day or Christmas?
Blog: A Representation Of Stability

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 18:48 - Nov 28 with 6571 viewsLofotBlue

This one is a classic with a story: "Legend has it that funkadelic's "Maggot Brain," the 10-minute solo that turned the late Eddie Hazel into an instant guitar icon, was born when George Clinton told him to imagine hearing his mother just died — and then learning that she was, in fact, alive. " From Rolling Stone "100 greatest guitarists"
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 06:47 - Dec 11 with 6406 viewsBinner

I forgot to mention Walter Troutbeck.

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 06:51 - Dec 11 with 6401 viewsBinner

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 06:47 - Dec 11 by Binner

I forgot to mention Walter Troutbeck.

Why would predictive texting change 'trout' to 'troutbeck'?
That should read Walter Trout.

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 07:18 - Dec 11 with 6381 viewsBlueBoots

Why wait for a guitar solo when you can have a whole track of mad guitar skills?

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 12:52 - Dec 11 with 6345 viewsBlueNomad

Try these............... Prince absolutely nails While My Guitar Gently Weeps........

[Post edited 11 Dec 2017 12:53]
Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 13:40 - Dec 11 with 6322 viewstcblue

Music lovers ( especially guitars) help me out please on 12:52 - Dec 11 by BlueNomad

Try these............... Prince absolutely nails While My Guitar Gently Weeps........

[Post edited 11 Dec 2017 12:53]

Where did Prince's guitar go after he threw it into the air on that video? I've watched it before and I can't work it out
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024