Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would Pep Guardiola improve us? 08:02 - Nov 27 with 11719 viewschristiand

Joking aside, with no further investment - from ME towards the squad - would Pep Guardiola improve our style of play if he was out manager? I appreciate that this question is purely hypothetical, he has managed only sides with copious amounts of money and has had the best players to select from. However, if he wants a 'real' challenge I would love to see how he would get on with our current squad of players.

What do we think?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 08:15 - Nov 27 with 8299 viewsimsureazzure

He wouldn't play a baby giraffe at right back for starters.
Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 08:34 - Nov 27 with 8270 viewsmagic

Silly question....

Of course he would.....
We would win the league by 24 points.
Unfortunately the incredible performance from our team would lead to our squad being plundered by the big boy's.
Skuse to Barcelona for 125 million, McGoldrick to Man U for 82 mill, Waghorn and Garner package deal to Derby for 70 mill.

Marcus Evans pockets the dough and hands Guardiola a Premiership war chest of 2.5 million.
We struggle in the Prem finishing a lowly 3rd...

Fan protests lead to Pep's sacking.
Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 08:43 - Nov 27 with 8256 viewschristiand

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 08:34 - Nov 27 by magic

Silly question....

Of course he would.....
We would win the league by 24 points.
Unfortunately the incredible performance from our team would lead to our squad being plundered by the big boy's.
Skuse to Barcelona for 125 million, McGoldrick to Man U for 82 mill, Waghorn and Garner package deal to Derby for 70 mill.

Marcus Evans pockets the dough and hands Guardiola a Premiership war chest of 2.5 million.
We struggle in the Prem finishing a lowly 3rd...

Fan protests lead to Pep's sacking.

If that is the case, then that goes against the main argument on here that we can't compete or play a better style of football against those clubs that have a squad that has been heavily invested in. SO if that is true Magic, then it is down to the quality of coaching the players are receiving on a daily basis?
[Post edited 27 Nov 2017 8:45]

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 08:57 - Nov 27 with 8224 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 08:43 - Nov 27 by christiand

If that is the case, then that goes against the main argument on here that we can't compete or play a better style of football against those clubs that have a squad that has been heavily invested in. SO if that is true Magic, then it is down to the quality of coaching the players are receiving on a daily basis?
[Post edited 27 Nov 2017 8:45]

There's some brilliant logic.
'Could one of the best coaches in the world improve us?'
'Probably.'
'Well there you go then, I told you Mick was the problem.'
Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:02 - Nov 27 with 8217 viewsDeano69

Had a similar conversation a few weeks ago. If these 'superstar' manager/coaches really want to prove themselves, they should try managing teams such as ITFC and see how they do.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:02 - Nov 27 with 8212 viewsOsborneOneNil

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 08:57 - Nov 27 by Axeldalai_lama

'Probably.'

It’s more to argue that our players can only play hoof ball, or not. A manger who encourages football could get our lot playing, the ability is there.

He’d also get shot of the faves who aren’t quite up to it.
Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:11 - Nov 27 with 8195 viewschristiand

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 08:57 - Nov 27 by Axeldalai_lama

'Probably.'

Read some of the other comments in this thread Axeldalai, you might then understand my logic in posing the original question.

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:24 - Nov 27 with 8168 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:11 - Nov 27 by christiand

Read some of the other comments in this thread Axeldalai, you might then understand my logic in posing the original question.

I get thevague attempt at equating good football with one of the best coaches in the world.
The point is, plenty of rubbish coaches also try to play "good football". Plenty of rubbish coaches play hoofball. And good ones play both too.
We've got a manager who plays hoofball who's pretty 'good', all things considered.
We need a replacement who is fundamentally 'good' above all, not just one who plays good football. All very well playing tippy tappy, but if we're 20th and scraping along they'll get just as much stick as MM and no improved crowds etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:40 - Nov 27 with 8147 viewschristiand

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:24 - Nov 27 by Axeldalai_lama

I get thevague attempt at equating good football with one of the best coaches in the world.
The point is, plenty of rubbish coaches also try to play "good football". Plenty of rubbish coaches play hoofball. And good ones play both too.
We've got a manager who plays hoofball who's pretty 'good', all things considered.
We need a replacement who is fundamentally 'good' above all, not just one who plays good football. All very well playing tippy tappy, but if we're 20th and scraping along they'll get just as much stick as MM and no improved crowds etc.

For me, even if we appointed someone like Eddie Howe he'd get us playing a darn sight better than what we are doing now even with the same squad of players. MM maybe 'good' but he is extremely rigid in his approach. For example, we have someone in Garner who is 5'10'' and we still hammer it up to him with defenders that towering over him. Just doesn't take a good coach to encourage his players to play long ball, I think pretty much any of us contributing to this forum could get the same XI doing the same without any problem and without coaching badges.

Doesn't necessarily mean that if employ a footballing manager that we maybe 20th in the league either. Look at Huddersfield Town last year and Wolves this season. I don't fall into this category that when MM goes that suddenly the whole world is going to end. In fact, it might get progressively better? It doesn't mean all doom and gloom even though MM would love us all to believe it when he leaves.

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:49 - Nov 27 with 8134 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:40 - Nov 27 by christiand

For me, even if we appointed someone like Eddie Howe he'd get us playing a darn sight better than what we are doing now even with the same squad of players. MM maybe 'good' but he is extremely rigid in his approach. For example, we have someone in Garner who is 5'10'' and we still hammer it up to him with defenders that towering over him. Just doesn't take a good coach to encourage his players to play long ball, I think pretty much any of us contributing to this forum could get the same XI doing the same without any problem and without coaching badges.

Doesn't necessarily mean that if employ a footballing manager that we maybe 20th in the league either. Look at Huddersfield Town last year and Wolves this season. I don't fall into this category that when MM goes that suddenly the whole world is going to end. In fact, it might get progressively better? It doesn't mean all doom and gloom even though MM would love us all to believe it when he leaves.

But that's my point, there's no telling where we will finish, other than the calibre of the manager. Again you cite Eddie Howe, not exactly in our league now is he?!
I'm just saying there is no point trying to get in someone who plays good football over someone who is actually good. An attainable manager of good calibre who plays good football on top is a very difficult ask, yet people throw it around like it's the easiest thing in the world. The wrong choice and we're going backwards fast.
Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:01 - Nov 27 with 8113 viewstractorshark

Guardiola would improve our brand of football and possibly get us in the promotion frame but he would need time to work with the young players and get them comfortable on the ball.
It’s not an instant fix and the lack of money would certainly hinder him.
It’s a bit like saying would Lewis Hamilton win the world championship in a Force India? Not without a shed load of investment.
Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:10 - Nov 27 with 8098 viewsOsborneOneNil

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:49 - Nov 27 by Axeldalai_lama

But that's my point, there's no telling where we will finish, other than the calibre of the manager. Again you cite Eddie Howe, not exactly in our league now is he?!
I'm just saying there is no point trying to get in someone who plays good football over someone who is actually good. An attainable manager of good calibre who plays good football on top is a very difficult ask, yet people throw it around like it's the easiest thing in the world. The wrong choice and we're going backwards fast.

Good managers who play football, it’s possible though, so rather than have ‘good’ MM and play negative, dull, don’t lose first football...why not take a punt and go for the former.

Yes it is a punt, but one most here would say is worth taking as we are bored to death.
Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:14 - Nov 27 with 8084 viewsmuccletonjoe

To be honest i dont think he would do as well as mick. Infact i dont think he would know where to start..
Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:33 - Nov 27 with 8055 viewsHerbivore

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:10 - Nov 27 by OsborneOneNil

Good managers who play football, it’s possible though, so rather than have ‘good’ MM and play negative, dull, don’t lose first football...why not take a punt and go for the former.

Yes it is a punt, but one most here would say is worth taking as we are bored to death.

We're not playing negative, don't lose first football though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:34 - Nov 27 with 8052 viewsHerbivore

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:40 - Nov 27 by christiand

You genuinely think that you or anyone else on the forum could do the job that Mick is doing? Jesus wept.

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:34 - Nov 27 with 8061 viewsOsborneOneNil

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:14 - Nov 27 by muccletonjoe

To be honest i dont think he would do as well as mick. Infact i dont think he would know where to start..

He’d drop Chambers for a defender who can pass the ball, for starters.
And where would he.... on 10:35 - Nov 27 with 8046 viewsBloots

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:34 - Nov 27 by OsborneOneNil

He’d drop Chambers for a defender who can pass the ball, for starters.

...get the money to buy one of them from?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

And where would he.... on 10:38 - Nov 27 with 8041 viewsBluefish

And where would he.... on 10:35 - Nov 27 by Bloots

...get the money to buy one of them from?

A bizarre and ridiculous thread even by twtd standards

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 11:18 - Nov 27 with 7997 viewschristiand

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 09:49 - Nov 27 by Axeldalai_lama

To counter your argument it is like MM is indispensable, quite frankly no one is. I do appreciate where you are coming from, but it doesn't necessarily mean that a new appointment means all doom and gloom and we're instantly on a downward spiral. Quite frankly it could have the opposite effect and by christ we need it!

Lets be honest, we have started the season reasonably well, however we could quite conceivably finish were we were last season - its not out of the realms of possibility we are only 3 points ahead of Brentford who are 15th. So MM is then still the best option? Who'd have thought that Chris Wilder would've done so well with Sheffield United this season there are still gems out there if we are prepared to look properly and do our research, but we don't have to believe that MM is the best we can get and deserve!

And where would he.... on 11:22 - Nov 27 with 7987 viewschristiand

And where would he.... on 10:38 - Nov 27 by Bluefish

A bizarre and ridiculous thread even by twtd standards

Why because you hate the thought of someone putting out a thought provoking topic? Truce, I really despair where you are coming from at times, this being one of those occasions. I appreciate that this might impact on your bromance with MM, but try embracing the theory of the thread.

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 11:26 - Nov 27 with 7980 viewschristiand

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 10:34 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

You genuinely think that you or anyone else on the forum could do the job that Mick is doing? Jesus wept.

What instructing players to lump it forwards to a striker with minimal pattern of play and not much imagination in most games? Yes, I can 100% do that. If you are saying that you are unable to do that, then clearly you're not much a football man Herbivore. If you are asking me would I be able to get the side playing football properly - then no.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2017 11:28]

And where would he.... on 11:34 - Nov 27 with 7960 viewsBluefish

And where would he.... on 11:22 - Nov 27 by christiand

Why because you hate the thought of someone putting out a thought provoking topic? Truce, I really despair where you are coming from at times, this being one of those occasions. I appreciate that this might impact on your bromance with MM, but try embracing the theory of the thread.

Thought provoking? Asking if Pep or Eddie Howe would make us better and using it as a stick to justify abuse towards mick? Genius stuff

That's all very well, but the..... on 11:35 - Nov 27 with 7958 viewsBloots

And where would he.... on 11:22 - Nov 27 by christiand

...."theory of the thread" is ridiculous at the outset.

You can't base a "thought provoking topic" on a premise that literally will not happen.

You might as well say:

"Would we be in a better position if we had Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, etc, etc playing for us?"

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

That's all very well, but the..... on 11:37 - Nov 27 with 7953 viewsBluefish

That's all very well, but the..... on 11:35 - Nov 27 by Bloots

...."theory of the thread" is ridiculous at the outset.

You can't base a "thought provoking topic" on a premise that literally will not happen.

You might as well say:

"Would we be in a better position if we had Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, etc, etc playing for us?"

That is pretty thought provoking and just shows that Mick is a dinosaur for not buying them. By supporting you are holding us back as a club

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 12:16 - Nov 27 with 7896 viewsHerbivore

Would Pep Guardiola improve us? on 11:26 - Nov 27 by christiand

What instructing players to lump it forwards to a striker with minimal pattern of play and not much imagination in most games? Yes, I can 100% do that. If you are saying that you are unable to do that, then clearly you're not much a football man Herbivore. If you are asking me would I be able to get the side playing football properly - then no.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2017 11:28]

Yes, because all Mick does is instruct the players to go out and lump it forward. Sorry buddy but you're clueless and you don't even realise it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024