Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gym monkeys of TWTD 14:37 - Nov 27 with 4095 viewsunbelievablue

Please, anyone, feel free to mercilessly take the p!ss here.

Since the marathon (sorry), I have begun to incorporate resistance work into my fitness regime again. I've had success with this in the past. I always feel better in myself for doing so. Lose fat, lean up, generally feel stronger and more healthy - the usual motivations for lifting weights. I manage to get to the gym 4 times a week, and I mix it up well enough between circuits, free weights, machines, HIIT etc etc.

Anyway, does anyone with experience of using resistance training to aid fat loss and help towards better overall shape have any useful nuggets of info or tips?

Nutritional advice welcome too, though I'm pretty good at this when I'm not on the p!ss.

Ta very much.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 14:40 - Nov 27 with 4078 viewsSpruceMoose

Have you tried press ups?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 14:43 - Nov 27 with 4070 viewsBenters

Newcy is your man ,he likes grunting and looking in mirrors.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 14:46 - Nov 27 with 4056 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Which Gym do you go to? and what sort of equipment does it have?

I had a spell using primarily battle ropes and it damn nearly killed me, though I was probably as goosed doing 5 minutes of that than 30 minutes of anything else.. A lot of people swear by them and I tend to have a couple of 20/30 second blasts each workout.

Personally I like to do real simple stuff like Plyometric squats, jumps, lifts in between sprints, but obviously this isn't as simple when your inside in a gym
Gym monkeys of TWTD on 14:50 - Nov 27 with 4046 viewsReuser_is_God

Does your gym have TRX equipment?

If so give them a whirl, plenty of exercises/work outs online.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 14:52 - Nov 27 with 4028 viewschicoazul

Well what do you mean by resistance training? If you mean lifting weights then muscles eat calories like nothing else. I went down 2 waist sizes, a shoe size, and half a neck size without losing any weight (more or less). I completely changed my body composition over 3 years doing deads squats bench and military 3 times a week for half an hour at a time. Nowadays I dont have as much time (business owner) so I just maintain what I have but I still stick to those core lifts along with some strongman training like farmers walk at the end of each workout.

Bicep curls for the pretty girls my brother.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 15:11 - Nov 27 with 3999 viewsNewcyBlue

My nutrition when i am home let’s me down. Badly.

I have done a fair bit of weight lifting, got fairly big, looked good, stuff happened and I undid all my hard work.

Last leave I tried a couple of crossfit taster sessions, but had already paid for the gym I was using so never signed up for it.

Signed up for it this week, did my On Ramp yesterday (Fundamentals Type thing) went to a Crossfit class today and I am done in.

It focuses on functional movements, and it was probably the hardest, most enjoyable workout I have had.

I really recommend that you pop along for a taster session at your local crossfit place.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 15:40 - Nov 27 with 3950 viewsTIB

4 days a week is good going, maybe focus your days around specific muscle groups / cardio etc. I think a lot is down to confidence / planning your workouts so when you get in there, you know where your going between each machine.

I'm back up to 14.10 after a rough few months which has led to eating badly and drinking too much. I go Monday - Thursday...Chest, Back, Arms, Legs but now I need to shift the weight I'll be back to ending each session with 15mins intense cardio...not to mention going back to booze free Monday - Friday.

I have a Sports Therapist and qualified personal trainer in my office who put me together a gym plan so if you want any ideas for exercises, drop me a msg

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:01 - Nov 27 with 3927 viewsDarth_Koont

Keep varying the resistance training to avoid plateauing. Not just different movements but really making sure the muscles get a different challenge:

So a month of high reps at 60% to make muscles handle lactic acid better.
Then a month of medium reps at 70-80% to max the blood pump.
And then a month of low reps near max resistance/weight 90-100% for raw fibre strength.
Then repeat and along the way you'll find you'll be lifting more and recovering quicker.

Probably works differently for different people but for me it completely changed my overall strength and conditioning for sport even in my mid-40s.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:20 - Nov 27 with 3894 viewsNewcyBlue

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 15:11 - Nov 27 by NewcyBlue

I have done a fair bit of weight lifting, got fairly big, looked good, stuff happened and I undid all my hard work.

Last leave I tried a couple of crossfit taster sessions, but had already paid for the gym I was using so never signed up for it.

Signed up for it this week, did my On Ramp yesterday (Fundamentals Type thing) went to a Crossfit class today and I am done in.

It focuses on functional movements, and it was probably the hardest, most enjoyable workout I have had.

I really recommend that you pop along for a taster session at your local crossfit place.

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:21 - Nov 27 with 3892 viewsstickymockwell

HIIT W@nking and stress makes the weight fall off.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: Best left back in the last 10 years

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:33 - Nov 27 with 3870 viewsDeano69

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 15:11 - Nov 27 by NewcyBlue

I 'shinned' the box during box-jumps this morning. Bl00dy hurts

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:39 - Nov 27 with 3855 viewsNewcyBlue

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:33 - Nov 27 by Deano69

I 'shinned' the box during box-jumps this morning. Bl00dy hurts

I can barely sit on the toilet. I always used to think I was good at squats...

Today was barbell stuff with an AMRAP buyout at the end.

It is very very different from any training I have done previously.

Still trying to get proper form in clean and jerk.

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:42 - Nov 27 with 3848 viewsDeano69

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:39 - Nov 27 by NewcyBlue

I can barely sit on the toilet. I always used to think I was good at squats...

Today was barbell stuff with an AMRAP buyout at the end.

It is very very different from any training I have done previously.

Still trying to get proper form in clean and jerk.

i still get days like those. it was also handstand push ups, which i cant quite do, bloody head and neck ache now...

Still prefer it to any other gym/exercise i have ever done.

You will probably hurt even more tomorrow.... Are you familiar with DOMS?

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:46 - Nov 27 with 3841 viewsNewcyBlue

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:42 - Nov 27 by Deano69

i still get days like those. it was also handstand push ups, which i cant quite do, bloody head and neck ache now...

Still prefer it to any other gym/exercise i have ever done.

You will probably hurt even more tomorrow.... Are you familiar with DOMS?

I am my own worst critic, so when the instructor said it would do I was thinking “nah I can do better”.

Yeah I have a love hate relationship with DOMS.

The Crossfit gym here is £79 a month, so I will probably aim for 4 times a week to feel like I get my money’s worth!

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:54 - Nov 27 with 3820 viewsWD19

The key bit is to stay under 30 years of age. if you can do that the rest will take care of itself.
Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:57 - Nov 27 with 3817 viewsDeano69

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 16:46 - Nov 27 by NewcyBlue

I am my own worst critic, so when the instructor said it would do I was thinking “nah I can do better”.

Yeah I have a love hate relationship with DOMS.

The Crossfit gym here is £79 a month, so I will probably aim for 4 times a week to feel like I get my money’s worth!

me too. Will try and knuckle down in the new year and regulate my eating habits. Weight loss starts and ends at the table...

Gym monkeys of TWTD on 17:15 - Nov 27 with 3805 viewsstrikalite

Do these...

Deadlifts
Squats
pull-ups
Bench press
Overhead Press
dips

Push, pull, legs routine....4 sets x8 or 5x5

Day 1 push - bench press, overhead press, dips

Day 2 pull - deads, pull-ups, one bicep exercise i.e barbell curls

Day 3 legs - squats, leg press, seated leg curl

40-45 minute sessions, 2 minutes rest...slowly week by weeks up resistance..

Add hiit of 15-20mins at end of each workout OR on your off days do cardio instead..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024