Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club 12:17 - Nov 30 with 15320 viewsSteve_M

We were just outside the play-offs at the time and I think it's fair to say we haven't looked back once. Well, nearly...

The money we spent in the first few years really should have given us a competitive advantage. Instead it was squandered, each new signing sinking to a level of mediocrity. I still maintain that it is only McCarthy's better spells in charge that have made the takeover look remotely successful.

Sheepshanks: A Massively Important Day 3rd Dec 2007 14:45
Chairman David Sheepshanks hailed confirmation that Marcus Evans will take an 87.5% stake in Town as a “massively important day for the club”. The Blues have called an EGM for Monday, 17th December at which Evans's takeover will be formally ratified. 0

Some memories of that time, what would anyone else add?

Highpoints.
- Beating Norwich to all but relegate them;
- The League Cup semi-final run, the Arsenal home game in particular;
- 5-1 against West Ham, as unexpected as it was enjoyable and with some spectaculat excuse-making afterwards;
- Staying up in 2012-13m from where we were when MM was appointed that looked unlikely;
- Derby away with Edwards last-minute goal;
- Derby at home where they tried to kick us off the park (and Brighton the game before);
- Most of 2014-15 but especially November and December - Charlton away, Leeds, Boro, Brentford - but also Watford, Forest and the home play-off match;
- Millwall away this season, a crazy Roylesque game and a last minute winner.

Lowpoints
- Magilton buying every midfielder he could and throwing away so much of what was good about his team beforehand;
- The changed expectations of fans post-takeover;
- Taking 15 matches to record the first win of the season;
- Keane claiming he didn't need to dismantle the squad and then doing so;
- Lee Martin;
- The Newcastle home game;
- Both matches against Norwich in 2010-11, but mainly the home one;
- Southampton and Peterborough within a week;
- Playing Bowyer, Bullard and Andrews in midfield together;
- Jewell bringing in some midfielders on loan and then getting some more loanees to replace them;
- Paul Taylor;
- The interminable age it took for Jewell to fanally leave the club;
- Bullard running round the training ground with a bag of money;
- Chopra and his debt collectors;
- The complete failure to build on 14-15 that Summer;
- Most of last season, not in real danger of relegation but just Meh for most of it;
- The sense of apathy that now pervades amongst Town fans. We want to care - the reaction to Tuesday shows that - but it feels like we're so far behind those with money at the moment.

Edit: Chelsea away should be in there too, we were so utterly crap that I'm not sure how it was only seven goals.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2017 16:37]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:19 - Nov 30 with 8946 viewshype313

You have pretty much covered all bases there Steve, pretty much a sense of meh to 10 years of his ownership.

The only thing I would potentially add would be Bar Arsenal, Tamas Priskin was a low point given the money spent and what we could have done with that in hindsight.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:23 - Nov 30 with 8927 viewsPendejo

HIGHPOINTS...

GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:29 - Nov 30 with 8909 viewsITFC_Forever

The better signings, which were at a fraction of the cost of the big money ones (and contributed far more to the club) and development of yoof players, in no particular order; (and I'm sure I'll miss some):

Wickham
Bishop
Downes
Dozzell
Nydam
Smith

Mings
Cresswell
Murphy
Chambers
Bart
McGoldrick
McAuley
[Post edited 30 Nov 2017 13:53]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:29 - Nov 30 with 8912 viewsSteve_M

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:19 - Nov 30 by hype313

You have pretty much covered all bases there Steve, pretty much a sense of meh to 10 years of his ownership.

The only thing I would potentially add would be Bar Arsenal, Tamas Priskin was a low point given the money spent and what we could have done with that in hindsight.

Someone should start a timer to see how long this takes to turn into an argument about a former striker.......

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:38 - Nov 30 with 8883 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Jewell's 'long term plan' that involved bringing in a load of pensioners, old mates and loanees.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:38 - Nov 30 with 8870 viewsBlueBadger

Roy's pressers. Not sure which category this would fall into...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:38 - Nov 30 with 8869 viewsRadlett_blue

I would say that Evans's failure to spend in the January 2015 window spoke more than anything that the silent man might have said. A relatively small investment would have given us a decent shot at automatic promotion; instead, we got Freddie Sears & then Varney & Chaplow on loan.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:44 - Nov 30 with 8839 viewsIllinoisblue

So many low points. Sadly his time in charge can only be classed as a massive failure underpinned by frustration, missed opportunities, wasted millions and a club stagnating ever more.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:45 - Nov 30 with 8831 viewsBlueBadger

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:38 - Nov 30 by BlueBadger

Roy's pressers. Not sure which category this would fall into...

Scumbag Bowyer. He was going to 'score loads of goals at this level'((C) some very excitable people on TWTD).
[Post edited 30 Nov 2017 12:45]

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:58 - Nov 30 with 8789 viewsitfcjoe

It's funny, even though Keane's time here was a disaster really - I don't look back on it with too much disdain as always felt as though it was obvious what we were trying to achieve. Jewell on the other hand was my lowest point as an ITFC fan.

Mick brought pride back to the club, and some good blokes that made being a town fan not emarrassing any more - some of those probably should have moved on by now - but it's nice to have had a number of players with well over 100 appearances for the club - Smith, Skuse, Chambers, Bart, Jonas, Cresswell, Murphy, McG and sure I'm missing some in there. Who was the last Ipswich player to have their 100th appearance under a manager that wasn't McCarthy?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:59 - Nov 30 with 8785 viewsSuperblue95

As much as having Lee Martin as a stand alone low point seems a bit harsh it did make me chuckle

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:02 - Nov 30 with 8781 viewsCaptainObvious

"The interminable age it took for him to Jewell to fiannly leave the club; "

Jewell apparently won as many games as he had lost before 2012-13 when he was sacked a few games into the season. So i can't see how that was an interminable age for him to finally leave the club.

You must mean McCarthy

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:02 - Nov 30 with 8776 viewsBlueBadger

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:59 - Nov 30 by Superblue95

As much as having Lee Martin as a stand alone low point seems a bit harsh it did make me chuckle

If you ask me, Martin is the waste and drift of the Evans era personified.The wrong man, at the wrong time, bought by the wrong manager for the wrong money.

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:03 - Nov 30 with 8778 viewsBlueBadger

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:02 - Nov 30 by CaptainObvious

"The interminable age it took for him to Jewell to fiannly leave the club; "

Jewell apparently won as many games as he had lost before 2012-13 when he was sacked a few games into the season. So i can't see how that was an interminable age for him to finally leave the club.

You must mean McCarthy

Didn't Jewell take about 3 weeks to tender his resignation despite talking about it in nearly every interview he gave?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:19 - Nov 30 with 8715 viewsIllinoisblue

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:02 - Nov 30 by BlueBadger

If you ask me, Martin is the waste and drift of the Evans era personified.The wrong man, at the wrong time, bought by the wrong manager for the wrong money.

and don't forget the fancy coloured boots. Wonder if he still wears them while turning out for Gillingham reserves.

62 - 78 - 81

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:23 - Nov 30 with 8698 viewsitfcjoe

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:19 - Nov 30 by Illinoisblue

and don't forget the fancy coloured boots. Wonder if he still wears them while turning out for Gillingham reserves.

He's actually their captain!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:24 - Nov 30 with 8693 viewsJimmyJazz

Bowyer, Bullard and Andrews in midfield?

What about the infamous Skuse, Hyam, Douglas selection?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:25 - Nov 30 with 8691 viewsBlueBadger

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:24 - Nov 30 by JimmyJazz

Bowyer, Bullard and Andrews in midfield?

What about the infamous Skuse, Hyam, Douglas selection?

BAA actually makes those three look mobile and cavalier.

Looking back I'm not even sure that those three have ever been a combination. I'm pretty sure that Hyam's been injured pretty much since Douglas joined ITFC. If it did, I'm guessing it was only for 1 or 2 games, instead of being persisted with as happened with the World's Slowest Midfield.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2017 13:33]

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:34 - Nov 30 with 8656 viewsIllinoisblue

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:23 - Nov 30 by itfcjoe

He's actually their captain!

#prayforgills

62 - 78 - 81

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:42 - Nov 30 with 8633 viewschicoazul

Evans has made 4 high profile senior appointments in his time here; Keane, Clegg, Jewell, MMc. Only one could be called a success and even then....

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:43 - Nov 30 with 8638 viewsSteve_M

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 12:59 - Nov 30 by Superblue95

I can take players being rubbish, we've all seen enough of them. Players who are rubbish on big wages and with a sh1t attitude on the other hand.

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:46 - Nov 30 with 8615 viewsJimmyJazz

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:25 - Nov 30 by BlueBadger

BAA actually makes those three look mobile and cavalier.

Looking back I'm not even sure that those three have ever been a combination. I'm pretty sure that Hyam's been injured pretty much since Douglas joined ITFC. If it did, I'm guessing it was only for 1 or 2 games, instead of being persisted with as happened with the World's Slowest Midfield.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2017 13:33]

Put together in one game, at home, to the mighty Rotherham

Obviously a top team - I think Mick even tipped them for a promotion push - so we beefed up the defensive midfield

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:49 - Nov 30 with 8612 viewschicoazul

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:43 - Nov 30 by Steve_M

I can take players being rubbish, we've all seen enough of them. Players who are rubbish on big wages and with a sh1t attitude on the other hand.

Right of course and Lee Martin was the uber-example of this. A bigger S H I T of a man you would be hard pressed to find.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:49 - Nov 30 with 8605 viewsSteve_M

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:03 - Nov 30 by BlueBadger

Didn't Jewell take about 3 weeks to tender his resignation despite talking about it in nearly every interview he gave?

Yes, we won the second game of the season then managed three draws from the next 11 matches before Jewell finally went. With the solitary exception of a 2-2 draw with Huddersfield it was dire stuff.

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:51 - Nov 30 with 8599 viewsSteve_M

So, ten years ago this weekend since Evans took over the club on 13:49 - Nov 30 by chicoazul

Right of course and Lee Martin was the uber-example of this. A bigger S H I T of a man you would be hard pressed to find.

To think we had him, Bullard and Chopra here at the same time. AT least one of those had fecked off before we signed Paul Taylor.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024