Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Report 19:05 - Dec 2 with 721 viewsunstableblue

Well me and two mates went to the game, it was cold and technical clothing was required. Seemed more fans around the place but I wouldn't say it was buzzing behind the Pioneer. After a nice real ale and pie consumed we headed to the stand, and good seats. Ticket prices are always more palatable once a generous TWTDer has given you there season ticket details.

I had heard rumour Garner was playing but the line-up revealed the lone striker of Waghorn, with Ward, Celina and Huws behind him, this immediately looks balanced to me, but I feared would lack the cutting edge to get goals (how wrong?). The much maligned Iorfa got the right back spot, and positively Knudsen kept the left full back role he is really growing into.

Best way to report on the game is to use the 4 Unstable Measures of game quality, so here goes:

**1. Energy and graft throughout the team, aggression in defence and midfield. ‘Putting the shift in as you say’

8/10 - this was more like it today, this is what we expect from Mick. Throughout the team there was much more urgency in closing from front to back. Skuse seemed to covering 30% more ground for me today. Huws, Connoly also put the shift in. Waghorn constantly haranged the forest backs, and indeed one goal led from his continual on the shoulder harassing, albeit from a forward Ipswich ball. There were a couple of passages of Ipswich players hunting in packs.. which the crowd around me relished. Not been enough of that in the last 12 months. Also on a few occassions the excellent Webster, and the energetic (but sometimes flawed) Ward ran into play and broke up play by reading the game.

One issue today was our tendency to take out foot of the gas, let the energy reduce and almost invite Forest on to us. They were really struggling with Celina on the left, waghorn and any midfielder running forward. But we failed to break out enough, and although hoofing was rare today, there was again the tendency for cheap turnover.

**2. Some waves of attack and excitement at points through the game. Which may include some longer direct ball

7/10 - at times we really broke and attacked very well. I personally loved the Celina goal, thats what we want. Again the crowd around me purred at some of the passing and breaking forward. Huws is total quality some of his body feints were worth the entry fee for me. Good composure . We also got to the byline a number of times - although with surprisingly few corners. The short pass onto Knudsen for the Iorfa cross was particularly pleasing.

But again for parts of the first half and the last 20 minutes we brough pressure by not attacking. Also we used Iorfa and Ward more than Celina and Knudsen in the first half, when Forest were really struggling against the latter.

But 4 goals is good, and great this is achievable with Garner and McGoldrick, but this was to do with shape...

**3. A good shape and balance to the team, with organisation in defence

7.5/10 The 4 -2 -3 -1 shape and the personnel in it really worked today. One noticeable theme was that Iorfa and Ward interchanged really well. Also Webster was very composed and up there for MoM in my view (alongside Huws and Waghorn), he has great reading of the game and is so good on the ball. I also thought Spence was strong and again composed on the ball.

So all in all the defence was balanced and organised, the Forest goals were just both really well taken. Iorfa should have got closer to Walker Jnr, but our gangly and ungainly right back overall put in a good shift.

He and Ward stood out as the least composed players, and Ward for the first 10mins seemed to have lost some of the technical qualities from his Spurs days. But they delivered on their roles.

I have to say Forest were disappointing, generally good on the ball, but they lacked bite and cutting edge, and so our defence was never under the cosh for extended periods.

**4. Some good passing, and movement, and efficient use of the ball when possible. Limited aimless punting.

7/10 - Now this is where the game felt like a different day at the office for Town than the dross of last season and certain games this term. Huws, Webster and Huws.. and yes Skuse were really enabling us purr at times and move the ball. And therefore fans (especially around me) were getting enthused and positive - how we've lacked good passing.

Now it wasn't all perfect and we missed many chances to retain the ball or hurt Forest. And again we went into our shells in the second part of the second half. And we have to increase our posession stats and make passing more central to our game to truly progress. But this was a lot lot better.

So overall a pleasing and at times a truly exciting game. Let's keep this up and stick with teams that want to get the ball down. One side note, although I love Chambo's leadership, I do feel Spence was so much more composed on the ball in comparison, able to find a yard of space and distribute effectively.

Two final points:
1. Bart is sensational... I will be amazed if no one comes in for him in January
2. My mates really enjoyed it, and want to go back soon!

COYFB... progress and in huws / waghorn / celina / webster / bart some real quality , keep up the passing, and 2 signings in January.. perhaps we could really threaten the play-offs.

Well done Mick.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2017 19:06]

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024