Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? 13:02 - Dec 3 with 13953 viewswaveneyblue

Been thinking about this - My era goes through - Cooper, Forrest, Wright and Bart (I think they have been the main 4 appearance makers - forgive me if I've missed any) -

For pure shot stopping ability - It has to be Bart - some of the close range saves he makes are world class - appreciate he has his weaknesses - but we should be grateful of them - if he didn't have them he would be playing for a top half Premier League team.....

Thoughts ?

(Can't believe I forgot Kelvin Davis - Top Keeper)
[Post edited 3 Dec 2017 18:41]
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:05 - Dec 3 with 9498 viewsgtsb1966

I remember David Best. That makes me feel old
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:06 - Dec 3 with 9500 viewsbadadski

My overall opinion from overall ability and overall skillset in my time which has been Craig Forest and onwards would be Kelvin Davies. He had everything and consistently, Richard Wright i don't think we had long enough to say was the best although he was great. Barts shot stopping is as you say great but still has a few weaknesses in Kicking, overall command of the area and some low shots from distance with his speed across the ground due to his size making it difficult to get down quick especially to his left which is main weakness.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:06 - Dec 3 with 9492 viewsNo9

It is between Roy Baily & Bart.

Town have had GK's who have had great games and good seasons but I don't think any as good as the two I name on a consistent basis.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:12 - Dec 3 with 9472 viewsEastKentBlue

Really? When he makes a save in the top division we can have this conversation. Great keeper for us but not the best ever.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:13 - Dec 3 with 9465 viewsNo9

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:12 - Dec 3 by EastKentBlue

Really? When he makes a save in the top division we can have this conversation. Great keeper for us but not the best ever.

GK's tend to be good (or bad) never mind which league they are in
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:14 - Dec 3 with 9471 viewsPJH

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:06 - Dec 3 by No9

It is between Roy Baily & Bart.

Town have had GK's who have had great games and good seasons but I don't think any as good as the two I name on a consistent basis.

I would agree with that although Richard Wright over the period 1999-2001 was also very good for a lot of it.
Bart has looked very good for coming up to 2 years now so no doubting his consistency.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:20 - Dec 3 with 9442 viewsNo9

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:14 - Dec 3 by PJH

I would agree with that although Richard Wright over the period 1999-2001 was also very good for a lot of it.
Bart has looked very good for coming up to 2 years now so no doubting his consistency.

It's a long while ago & I was young but, I don't recall Roy Baily having any real weaknesses.
Richard W, I felt was not always very good with high crosses & Barts weakness is distribution
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:23 - Dec 3 with 9425 viewsPJH

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:13 - Dec 3 by No9

GK's tend to be good (or bad) never mind which league they are in

Yes, whether it is in the school playground or in the Champions League the main function of the goalkeeper is to keep the ball out of his goal.
Login to get fewer ads

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:28 - Dec 3 with 9422 viewschristiand

It’s important to not just focus purely on his shot saving, goalkeeping is so much more. Decisiveness, communication, concentration, reading the game, positioning, distribution, organisation, bravery, consistency, calmness under pressure - I could go on, however Bart has certainly played well for a sustained period now. Personally, still think he gets overworked by our defence and he has to play well that’s why we keep talking about him. He is certainly very good at our level, perhaps someone will come in for him in January? I would like to see him play at a higher level if it is not with us, with his performances he has certainly earned the right and he probably wants to see himself whether he could cope with the step up.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 14:43 - Dec 3 with 9291 viewsWe_hate_Norwich

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:28 - Dec 3 by christiand

It’s important to not just focus purely on his shot saving, goalkeeping is so much more. Decisiveness, communication, concentration, reading the game, positioning, distribution, organisation, bravery, consistency, calmness under pressure - I could go on, however Bart has certainly played well for a sustained period now. Personally, still think he gets overworked by our defence and he has to play well that’s why we keep talking about him. He is certainly very good at our level, perhaps someone will come in for him in January? I would like to see him play at a higher level if it is not with us, with his performances he has certainly earned the right and he probably wants to see himself whether he could cope with the step up.

Tough question.

Cooper was obviously the golden era and had a good defence in front of him.

I'll stick my neck out and go in the following order.

1. Kelvin Davis - he earned us more points than any other keeper I can recall. More of s complete keeper and was gutted when he left.

2. Craig Forrest / Paul Cooper - Can't split the two of them. Forrest's shot stopping was excellent.

3. Bart.

4. Wright - Whilst good, he just never set the world alight for me. Maybe that was down to his style and he was steady / consistent, as opposed to being outstanding.

I'll probably think about it and change my mind tomorrow!

I just don't like the colours Yellow and Green.

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 14:58 - Dec 3 with 9255 viewsgerard1947

I've seen them all since Roy Bailey. I can't remember that much about him but of the others, Bart, Wrighty, Cooper, stand out. I also liked Laurie Sivell, he had his short comings, short being operative word. He was very brave and exceedingly quick. I can't split Bart, Wroght and Cooper, it's not easy to compare with so long in between.
on 15:07 - Dec 3 with 9241 views_

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 15:26 - Dec 3 with 9209 viewsstickymockwell

Nostalgia says Wright and then Forrest. I only saw cooper in his last 2 seasons here and I was very young but I remember wanting him to come back after watching Halworth.
Bart does look great as he has been playing in a relatively poor side and has recued us on many occasions, so we tend to remember the good stuff and forget any mistakes. Where as Wright had Mogga, Veno, McGreal et al in front of him

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: Best left back in the last 10 years

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 16:23 - Dec 3 with 9131 viewsWD19

He is better in goal that Tony Dinning.

.....and Dean Gerken.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 16:48 - Dec 3 with 9085 viewsfabian_illness

He's good, but not our best ever.

Kelvin Davis was the best all rounder for me.
Neil Alexander runs him close, he went too early.
Fulop and Wright are both just above Bart.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 17:16 - Dec 3 with 9027 viewsclive_baker

Phil can you ban everyone who’s contributed to this thread please?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

on 17:17 - Dec 3 with 9024 views_

on 15:07 - Dec 3 by _

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 17:20 - Dec 3 with 9019 viewssolemio

I'm genuinely pleased that nobody has mentioned Sereni. Great shot saver. Weak in all the other aspects of a keeper's craft.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 17:47 - Dec 3 with 8966 viewsScuzzer

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 13:05 - Dec 3 by gtsb1966

I remember David Best. That makes me feel old

My uncle, Dave Bevis was his understudy. I too feel very old.

Established 1968

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 18:14 - Dec 3 with 8900 viewsPJH

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 17:47 - Dec 3 by Scuzzer

My uncle, Dave Bevis was his understudy. I too feel very old.

Afraid he wasn't-Dave Bevis had left before David Best arrived.
Goalkeepers here during the period that Dave Bevis was here were Bailey,Hall,Thorburn and Hancock.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 18:26 - Dec 3 with 8880 viewsBluefish

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 16:48 - Dec 3 by fabian_illness

He's good, but not our best ever.

Kelvin Davis was the best all rounder for me.
Neil Alexander runs him close, he went too early.
Fulop and Wright are both just above Bart.

Kelvin Davis was class and so was Wrighty. Fulop (RIP) and Alexander were average. Bart is up there with the best we've had

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 18:36 - Dec 3 with 8863 viewsAYACCA

Clive Baker. end of.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 19:36 - Dec 3 with 8791 viewssolemio

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 18:36 - Dec 3 by AYACCA

Clive Baker. end of.

Half a foot (15cm) taller and he would have been a great keeper. Terrific on reaction saves.
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 19:45 - Dec 3 with 8766 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

No
Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 19:46 - Dec 3 with 8764 viewssolemio

Bart - Our best keeper ever ? on 17:20 - Dec 3 by solemio

I'm genuinely pleased that nobody has mentioned Sereni. Great shot saver. Weak in all the other aspects of a keeper's craft.

Sorry, RKD, but I think this may be a case of childhood rose-tinted spectacles.
Sereni could not organise our defence, was poor on angles and was truly dreadful on crosses.

Had he been positionally better a fair proportion of his admittedly spectacular saves would not have been necessary.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024