Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10 years ago.. 19:11 - Dec 3 with 2915 viewsBluespeed225

I was sat in my old local in NYC, 3am, and sky news reports the ITFC takeover. A meeting was held at The Corn Exchange, where they interviewed people as they left. Every screen in the bar was filled with Ray Sleggs' face. Try explaining that to liqoured up Yanks at that time of the morning....
10 years ago.. on 19:15 - Dec 3 with 2893 viewsPJH

I was at that meeting at The Corn Exchange and although there were some objections to the takeover the general opinion seemed to be that we had just purchased a place in The Premier League.
10 years ago.. on 20:06 - Dec 3 with 2805 viewsnorth_stand77

10 years ago.. on 19:15 - Dec 3 by PJH

I was at that meeting at The Corn Exchange and although there were some objections to the takeover the general opinion seemed to be that we had just purchased a place in The Premier League.

Me too. There were a few hard liners who saw it as selling the soul of the club.
Whilst I respected their point of view and sort of agreed with them, part of me was thinking that it might herald in an exciting time for the club.

I suppose it's ended up somewhere in between.
My view is that the 'friendly club' was sacrificed and I can't see the club getting that back. Or them not even necessarily wanting to.
Of course from a success perspective, it's been hugely disappointing.

What would the outcome have been if we hadn't accepted it?
10 years ago.. on 20:15 - Dec 3 with 2779 viewsPJH

10 years ago.. on 20:06 - Dec 3 by north_stand77

Me too. There were a few hard liners who saw it as selling the soul of the club.
Whilst I respected their point of view and sort of agreed with them, part of me was thinking that it might herald in an exciting time for the club.

I suppose it's ended up somewhere in between.
My view is that the 'friendly club' was sacrificed and I can't see the club getting that back. Or them not even necessarily wanting to.
Of course from a success perspective, it's been hugely disappointing.

What would the outcome have been if we hadn't accepted it?

There was no doubt in my mind that we were going to be heading back to the top division in the very near future, did not work out like that though did it?

If that takeover had not gone through there was no way of knowing how long it would have been before someone else came along and whether ITFC could function until they did.

It certainly seemed a good idea (to most) at the time.
10 years ago.. on 20:53 - Dec 3 with 2734 viewsnorth_stand77

10 years ago.. on 20:15 - Dec 3 by PJH

There was no doubt in my mind that we were going to be heading back to the top division in the very near future, did not work out like that though did it?

If that takeover had not gone through there was no way of knowing how long it would have been before someone else came along and whether ITFC could function until they did.

It certainly seemed a good idea (to most) at the time.

In retrospect, maybe there was no alternative at the time.

If Evans was to sell ( if there were other interested parties) I think we would still feel the same positive anticipation, that there may be unlimited backing and a return to top flight.
10 years ago.. on 20:54 - Dec 3 with 2728 viewsfactual_blue

.....on a cold, dark night
There was someone killed 'neath the Town Hall light
There were few at the scene, but they all did agree
That the man who ran looked a lot like me.

The judge said son, what is your alibi
If you were somewhere else, then you won't have to die
I spoke not a word, though it meant my life
For I'd been in the arms of my best friend's wife

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

10 years ago.. on 21:01 - Dec 3 with 2709 viewsPJH

10 years ago.. on 20:54 - Dec 3 by factual_blue

.....on a cold, dark night
There was someone killed 'neath the Town Hall light
There were few at the scene, but they all did agree
That the man who ran looked a lot like me.

The judge said son, what is your alibi
If you were somewhere else, then you won't have to die
I spoke not a word, though it meant my life
For I'd been in the arms of my best friend's wife

I knew that I knew the song but had to google it otherwise I would have been all night trying to think what it was-or I could have asked you but probably would not have got the answer.
10 years ago.. on 21:05 - Dec 3 with 2701 viewsPJH

10 years ago.. on 20:53 - Dec 3 by north_stand77

In retrospect, maybe there was no alternative at the time.

If Evans was to sell ( if there were other interested parties) I think we would still feel the same positive anticipation, that there may be unlimited backing and a return to top flight.

Yes although it did appear to be easier to "buy" a Premier League place then than it has been recently-see Derby etc.
10 years ago.. on 00:00 - Dec 4 with 2582 viewspatrickswell

I'm struggling to think of anyone in recent years who has taken control of a club, outside the Premier League, made some money available for players, and seen no return on their investment. It makes no sense that he hasn't, until this summer, given much in the way of financial backing to the guy who's got him closest to promotion than any of those who came before him. Although, I did approve of the strategy of 2013-14 which saw us abandon transfer fees in favour of offering good wages to free transfers which saw us sign McGoldrick, Murphy, Berra and Stephen Hunt.

At least transfer fees paid out since 2015 have for the most part been value for money - Sears, Knudsen, Webster, Huws, Waghorn, Garner etc have all had periods where they've been seen as critically important players.
Login to get fewer ads

10 years ago.. on 01:37 - Dec 4 with 2536 viewsrosseden

10 years ago.. on 00:00 - Dec 4 by patrickswell

I'm struggling to think of anyone in recent years who has taken control of a club, outside the Premier League, made some money available for players, and seen no return on their investment. It makes no sense that he hasn't, until this summer, given much in the way of financial backing to the guy who's got him closest to promotion than any of those who came before him. Although, I did approve of the strategy of 2013-14 which saw us abandon transfer fees in favour of offering good wages to free transfers which saw us sign McGoldrick, Murphy, Berra and Stephen Hunt.

At least transfer fees paid out since 2015 have for the most part been value for money - Sears, Knudsen, Webster, Huws, Waghorn, Garner etc have all had periods where they've been seen as critically important players.

People who haven’t seen a return? Anyone who has ‘invested’ in champ teams has made no return I would argue. The stats seem to say that.

We have to be sensible. ME isn’t on the level of the guys at Man City, but he’s not taking money out like some people try to, and he’s also not doing stupid stuff that risks the club like Fawaz did at forest and others have also done at other clubs. Being midlands based when Fawaz was taking over all we heard was how they’d be at the top table and in Europe and champions league, and look where that went. ME isn’t the best money bags owner, but he’s a long way from the worst. He doesn’t get too involved like the derby chairman, he’s not causing unnecessary risk, but he’s also in some peoples eye not spending enough. But he’s what we’ve got, and I’m more often glad of that than annoyed by it.....

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024