Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So what happened to old Benters then......? 21:40 - Dec 3 with 72988 viewsBloots

.....banned?

Walked?

Head fell off?

Got in a Taxi?

Fell down the Toilet?

Gone to Derby?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:41 - Dec 4 with 2804 viewsimsureazzure

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:39 - Dec 4 by jeera

So there you go.

You do get it.

When posters like TB or OG or Bentley bully others, they should get some back.

That's settled.

Yeah ok agreed, I didn't see Benter's bully and call out anyone, but if he did then it is wrong.
So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:42 - Dec 4 with 2801 viewsleitrimblue

Sad to hear he has gone. Don,t agree with many of his views but believe the site will be a poorer place without him.
So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:43 - Dec 4 with 2792 viewsDarth_Koont

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:25 - Dec 4 by J2BLUE

Nothing i'm about to post should be seen as a defence of his views, whether real or put on for affect, but these a few things i've noticed over the months/years:

1) Some people felt it was ok to be abusive to him across threads. If he posts something about immigrants etc on a thread then by all means attack his views but when he was posting quite normally about something completely different I don't think it's nice seeing posts like 'Yea well you're a daft racist anyway' etc. Linked with this point is that some people also thought it was ok to attack him viciously because he was wrong. I think 99% of us would agree racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia etc etc are all wrong and unwelcome and some people seem to think as they are right they can post whatever they want aimed at him and don't hold themselves to the same standard they expect from others.

2) I think he is bitter about what he has gone through. He once posted something and I remember replying I think that post said more than you wanted to. I can't remember the thread or what he said. I have no idea about his personal life and think it would be wrong to speculate beyond what he seemed to suggest in that post but he may well have been through a lot more than we know.

3) As GB has often pointed out, he is a product of a different era. I think he thought that most of us take the internet too seriously. Lots of us have now grown up with the internet. Perhaps it was an escape for him from the real world and his persona can't be taken too seriously. Again, not defending him posting what he did whether he was serious or not.

4) He could be genuinely nice/helpful. I know he helped some posters dealing with similar issues to what he went through. When he got posting about his garden or cycling he was quite pleasant.

5) I think he played up to the village idiot, little Englander reputation he had. There's been a few times over the last few months when I have noticed a really good post, looked to see who posted it and it was him. This board has a long memory. Once you get a reputation it's hard to shake off so maybe he thought he would play up to it?

People can agree or disagree, these are just observations. I hope he comes back. If he came back and avoided certain threads or posted his views and then accepted replies he could be a decent poster.

I'd agree with that but you're making the mistake of judging him and his persona on here by your own standards.

He'd never post anything showing that much empathy and understanding unless it was a post that was ultimately about him and his life. Because that's who he was on here - a man with conditional empathy and limited understanding yet bizarrely proud of that.

Pronouns: He/Him

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:45 - Dec 4 with 2797 viewsPhilTWTD

Nothing i'm about to post should be seen as a defence of his views, whether real or put on for affect, but these a few things i've noticed over the months/years:

1) Some people felt it was ok to be abusive to him across threads. If he posts something about immigrants etc on a thread then by all means attack his views but when he was posting quite normally about something completely different I don't think it's nice seeing posts like 'Yea well you're a daft racist anyway' etc. Linked with this point is that some people also thought it was ok to attack him viciously because he was wrong. I think 99% of us would agree racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia etc etc are all wrong and unwelcome and some people seem to think as they are right they can post whatever they want aimed at him and don't hold themselves to the same standard they expect from others.

2) I think he is bitter about what he has gone through. He once posted something and I remember replying I think that post said more than you wanted to. I can't remember the thread or what he said. I have no idea about his personal life and think it would be wrong to speculate beyond what he seemed to suggest in that post but he may well have been through a lot more than we know.

3) As GB has often pointed out, he is a product of a different era. I think he thought that most of us take the internet too seriously. Lots of us have now grown up with the internet. Perhaps it was an escape for him from the real world and his persona can't be taken too seriously. Again, not defending him posting what he did whether he was serious or not.

4) He could be genuinely nice/helpful. I know he helped some posters dealing with similar issues to what he went through. When he got posting about his garden or cycling he was quite pleasant.

5) I think he played up to the village idiot, little Englander reputation he had. There's been a few times over the last few months when I have noticed a really good post, looked to see who posted it and it was him. This board has a long memory. Once you get a reputation it's hard to shake off so maybe he thought he would play up to it?

People can agree or disagree, these are just observations. I hope he comes back. If he came back and avoided certain threads or posted his views and then accepted replies he could be a decent poster.

Re number three, I think Benters is about the same age as me, so I resent the implication that I might be a product of another era!
So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:46 - Dec 4 with 2770 viewsDarth_Koont

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:39 - Dec 4 by imsureazzure

Oh look someone conjured up a small minded nationalist.

Now if you'd only said that to him ...

Pronouns: He/Him

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:47 - Dec 4 with 2766 viewsNewcyBlue

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:45 - Dec 4 by PhilTWTD

Re number three, I think Benters is about the same age as me, so I resent the implication that I might be a product of another era!

Take it easy old boy....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:48 - Dec 4 with 2758 viewsimsureazzure

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:46 - Dec 4 by Darth_Koont

Now if you'd only said that to him ...

That is a fair point as it stands.
So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:48 - Dec 4 with 2753 viewsgiant_stow

A man still playing football in his 7th decade is good going - well played.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:48 - Dec 4 with 2754 viewsPJH

and Benters is therefore quite a bit younger than me so I do not think that his age can be used as an excuse/reason for some of his views because his views on almost everything appear to be the polar opposite of mine.
So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:51 - Dec 4 with 2740 viewsjeera

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 11:52 - Dec 4 by J2BLUE

Already done it mate, you're none of those things.

Aww.

Fanks bud.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:53 - Dec 4 with 2734 viewshype313

We need to have a chat...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:00 - Dec 4 with 2711 viewsJohnny_Boy

People do seemingly take this message board far too seriously.

Also, anyone that doesn't use ThreadView is a lowlife degenerate scumbag & should delete their account immediately.
So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:03 - Dec 4 with 2695 viewsjeera

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:00 - Dec 4 by Johnny_Boy

Also, anyone that doesn't use ThreadView is a lowlife degenerate scumbag & should delete their account immediately.

And people who respond directly to long posts clogging up the board...?

You can post referencing them you know.

Hmph.

Thread view is just weirdly behind the times. And that's coming from me!

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:04 - Dec 4 with 2687 viewsjeera

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:41 - Dec 4 by imsureazzure

Yeah ok agreed, I didn't see Benter's bully and call out anyone, but if he did then it is wrong.

You're generally a nice guy.

You need to wander over to the right side of the fence.

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:08 - Dec 4 with 2683 viewsBlueBadger

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:41 - Dec 4 by The_Romford_Blue

Was old git a bully? I'm not so sure on that one J.

He had some dodgy views for this day and age but I never thought of him as a bully at any stage

OG was definitely in the 'silly old buffer category' all the way along. As I've said a couple of times now, So was Benters, until he decided for some reason that Taxi, Arsey and Bergholt were his new role models.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 16:18]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:08 - Dec 4 with 2681 viewsJohnny_Boy

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:03 - Dec 4 by jeera

And people who respond directly to long posts clogging up the board...?

You can post referencing them you know.

Hmph.

Thread view is just weirdly behind the times. And that's coming from me!

The people replying to the wrong post?

Table View Folk.

I think a collection should be started for those poor people.
So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:11 - Dec 4 with 2671 viewsjeera

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:08 - Dec 4 by Johnny_Boy

The people replying to the wrong post?

Table View Folk.

I think a collection should be started for those poor people.

Wrong post?

Sorry, what?

Long posts. It clogs up the board.

Oh, I dunno, maybe on your outdated mode it doesn't.

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:13 - Dec 4 with 2657 viewsjeera

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:08 - Dec 4 by BlueBadger

OG was definitely in the 'silly old buffer category' all the way along. As I've said a couple of times now, So was Benters, until he decided for some reason that Taxi, Arsey and Bergholt were his new role models.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 16:18]

The nice old boy act by OG?

Racist, unpleasant so & so. Still pops along to stir the pot here and there. He'll be reading this.

I had some old crap where he picked a row then threatened me with his sons when it became unpleasant.

The bloke's a vile coward.

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:15 - Dec 4 with 2652 viewsJ2BLUE

I've been brainwashed by GB, you should blame him!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:16 - Dec 4 with 2646 viewsJ2BLUE

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:43 - Dec 4 by Darth_Koont

I'd agree with that but you're making the mistake of judging him and his persona on here by your own standards.

He'd never post anything showing that much empathy and understanding unless it was a post that was ultimately about him and his life. Because that's who he was on here - a man with conditional empathy and limited understanding yet bizarrely proud of that.

Hmm, interesting points.

Truly impaired.

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:18 - Dec 4 with 2645 viewsstickymockwell

He was actually quite cruel about other peoples illnesses that weren't cancer, especially mental illness. He didn't really bother me but I wont miss him either.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: Best left back in the last 10 years

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:28 - Dec 4 with 2618 viewsRyorry

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:00 - Dec 4 by Johnny_Boy

"People do seemingly take this message board far too seriously. "

Couldn't disagree more - those are real people behind the screens having vile stuff directed at them - no-one should have to put up with that.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:29 - Dec 4 with 2608 viewsRyorry

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 12:48 - Dec 4 by PJH

and Benters is therefore quite a bit younger than me so I do not think that his age can be used as an excuse/reason for some of his views because his views on almost everything appear to be the polar opposite of mine.

Me/mine too.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:30 - Dec 4 with 2604 viewsJ2BLUE

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:18 - Dec 4 by stickymockwell

He was actually quite cruel about other peoples illnesses that weren't cancer, especially mental illness. He didn't really bother me but I wont miss him either.

Another very fair point.

Truly impaired.

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:32 - Dec 4 with 2595 viewsSwailsey

So what happened to old Benters then......? on 13:18 - Dec 4 by stickymockwell

To quote the great man "this".

I don't think his age should be a justification for his views. I wish him no ill will at all and hope that his departure isn't related to anything untoward, but I will not miss him, or his playground antics.

I actually disagree with some others posters - I genuinely think the forum will be a better place without him.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 13:33]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024