Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Iniesta on Paul Scholes 11:29 - Dec 4 with 10935 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Saw this doing the rounds today

Says it all really.
I know he's pretty well regarded generally, but he really wasn't appreciated enough was he? Lampard/ Gerrard/ Beckham, all that messing about, he was far better.
Or am I looking back too fondly?
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:33 - Dec 4 with 10895 viewsPhilTWTD

Kieron Dyer judges Scholes the best player he played with during his career, so you're probably right.
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:41 - Dec 4 with 10861 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:33 - Dec 4 by PhilTWTD

Kieron Dyer judges Scholes the best player he played with during his career, so you're probably right.

Some of these quotes are incredible too. Zidane, Figo and Iniesta, as well as Dyer, obviously!
https://iconicnumber7.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/a-paul-scholes-tribute-92-quotes/

Zinedine Zidane: “Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation.”

Luis Figo: “I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch you can’t catch him. Off the pitch he disappears.”

Edgar Davids: “I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is."
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:42 - Dec 4 with 10856 viewsPhilTWTD

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:41 - Dec 4 by Axeldalai_lama

Some of these quotes are incredible too. Zidane, Figo and Iniesta, as well as Dyer, obviously!
https://iconicnumber7.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/a-paul-scholes-tribute-92-quotes/

Zinedine Zidane: “Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation.”

Luis Figo: “I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch you can’t catch him. Off the pitch he disappears.”

Geraint Williams also once told me he was the best player he ever faced as well.
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:43 - Dec 4 with 10840 viewsfactual_blue

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:41 - Dec 4 by Axeldalai_lama

That last one sounds like Jimi Hendrix.

Interviewer: Jimi, what's it like to be the greatest guitarist in the world?

JMH: ask Rory Gallagher.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:44 - Dec 4 with 10829 viewsfactual_blue

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:42 - Dec 4 by PhilTWTD

Geraint Williams also once told me he was the best player he ever faced as well.

Didn't he ever play against you then?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:45 - Dec 4 with 10823 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Can't believe they missed him on that list of quotes!
I mean they had Robbie bloody Savage!
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 12:00 - Dec 4 with 10772 viewstcblue

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 11:43 - Dec 4 by factual_blue

That last one sounds like Jimi Hendrix.

Interviewer: Jimi, what's it like to be the greatest guitarist in the world?

JMH: ask Rory Gallagher.

That sounds like Eric Clapton.

Interviewer: Eric, what's it like to be the greatest guitarist in the world?
EC: ask Prince
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 12:04 - Dec 4 with 10749 viewsITFC_Forever

For some reason this sticks in my mind.... I was listening to a Radio 5 commentary on a Man U game in around 1997, and they were talking about Scholes and they said that he will go on to be as important, or more, to Man Utd than Cantona was.

I remember thinking what a bold claim that was and surely he's not that good...... what do I know?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 12:35 - Dec 4 with 10677 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 12:04 - Dec 4 by ITFC_Forever

For some reason this sticks in my mind.... I was listening to a Radio 5 commentary on a Man U game in around 1997, and they were talking about Scholes and they said that he will go on to be as important, or more, to Man Utd than Cantona was.

I remember thinking what a bold claim that was and surely he's not that good...... what do I know?

He's the player surely everyone wishes they were if they could've been a pro.
Bangs in goals for fun, and his passing was out of this world. But never seemed too fussed or like he was breaking a sweat, and the odd naughty 'proper' tackle. Plus when he was done he'd just go home. No gobby interviews or out on the shant with idiots, earnt his money then chilled out. Spot on.
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 12:48 - Dec 4 with 10647 viewsBrianTablet

Geraint Williams was so slow that he could well have faced himself.

In fact, if he goes back to Old Trafford even now, he can see himself still trying to catch Andrei Kanchelskis....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_F.C._9%E2%80%930_Ipswich_Town_F.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 12:52 - Dec 4 with 10639 viewsTractorJack

That quote is obviously fake though?
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 12:58 - Dec 4 with 10622 viewsIllinoisblue

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 12:52 - Dec 4 by TractorJack

That quote is obviously fake though?

Looks like the work of twitter jokester georgeweahscousin

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 13:07 - Dec 4 with 10583 viewschicoazul

Is there any player more fake-quoted about than Paul Scholes?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 13:11 - Dec 4 with 10575 viewsThrobbe

One of my favourite comments on him:

"When we were in training, I used to do a lot of tricks which hardly any players at the club could do. Once I was showing my skills to Scholes. After I finished, Scholes took the ball and pointed to a tree which was about 50m from where we were standing. He said, I’m going to hit it in one shot. He kicked and hit the tree. He asked me to do the same; I kicked about 10 times, but still couldn’t hit it, with that accuracy. He smiled and left."
- Cristiano Ronaldo

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 13:28 - Dec 4 with 10531 viewsuefacup81

Courtesy of the man who brought you these gems (mildly sweary):

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 13:53 - Dec 4 with 10452 viewsbluelou

You chump

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 13:56 - Dec 4 with 10447 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 12:58 - Dec 4 by Illinoisblue

Looks like the work of twitter jokester georgeweahscousin

Ah, got me then I guess. What a numpty!
Seemed a bit of a weird fake in that there is seemingly a lot of respect for Paul Scholes anyway and Iniesta and his Mrs lost a baby.
Oh well.
Still a bloomin good player mind.
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 14:08 - Dec 4 with 10406 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 13:53 - Dec 4 by bluelou

You chump

Alright so I was a muppet for the original quote, bought it hook line and sinker. Still plenty of similar quotes around to back up the sentiment.
Like I said, random quote to make up in that he's highly respected, plus Iniesta is known to have lost a baby so in poor taste.
But, yes I'm a bellend, no excuse.
Real quotes here.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8548999/Paul-S
Iniesta on Paul Scholes on 15:58 - Dec 4 with 10282 viewsrickw

I think a lot of public perception here is influenced by highlights shows like MOTD.
What I mean by this is someone who makes 50 very good passes a match and makes no mistakes is rarely shown, however someone like Gerrard who might try the incredible 40 yard killer pass 30 times a game, gives it away 29 of the times and the 1 time he makes it he gets the glory, but isn't criticised for giving the ball away so much....

When Scholes's game changed and he stopped being the goalscoring box to box midfielder he was when he was younger, he was criticised for his poor recent scoring record, and for England Sven moved him to left wing. I think eventually people understood how his game had changed which is why England managers kept trying to recall him.

I've also thought for a couple of years now the same thing was happening with Rooney, his performance against West Ham as a holding midfielder was very impressive, but it was only 1 game against a poor West Ham team!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024