Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks 12:33 - Dec 4 with 13728 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/04/meps-say-uk-has-conceded-on-ire

DUP to kick off?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:37 - Dec 4 with 6925 viewsSteve_M

It's what they do.

Does Brexit still mean Brexit though? And if Northern Ireland gets the chance to stay in the Single Market and Customs Union then why shouldn't Scotland? Or London?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:37 - Dec 4 with 6912 viewsRedX

BBC Radio Ulster is comedy gold right now.
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:40 - Dec 4 with 6903 viewsgiant_stow

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:37 - Dec 4 by Steve_M

It's what they do.

Does Brexit still mean Brexit though? And if Northern Ireland gets the chance to stay in the Single Market and Customs Union then why shouldn't Scotland? Or London?

If true, this deal seems to directly conflict with what the DUP said about NI being treated exactly the same as the rest of the UK. Maybe May's banking on them preferring a shafting May over a commie Jez.

Anyway, Sadiq, your mission is now clear!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:45 - Dec 4 with 6886 viewsBlueBadger

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:37 - Dec 4 by Steve_M

It's what they do.

What with this and the recent announcement regarding the 'divorce bill', I'm starting to suspect that David 'bluster and posture for 6 months then cave in completely' Davis and his team may not be the preternaturally competent negotiators they claimed to be.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:49 - Dec 4 with 6868 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:45 - Dec 4 by BlueBadger

What with this and the recent announcement regarding the 'divorce bill', I'm starting to suspect that David 'bluster and posture for 6 months then cave in completely' Davis and his team may not be the preternaturally competent negotiators they claimed to be.

The whole brexit idea was obviously a bad idea from the start because France and Germany were never going to be reasonable. That’s why I voted to remain.

It’s Blair’s fault for insisting on to much immigration too quickly, when he didn’t need to, which created the climate that put UKIP on the agenda
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:52 - Dec 4 with 6853 viewsDarth_Koont

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:40 - Dec 4 by giant_stow

If true, this deal seems to directly conflict with what the DUP said about NI being treated exactly the same as the rest of the UK. Maybe May's banking on them preferring a shafting May over a commie Jez.

Anyway, Sadiq, your mission is now clear!

Indeed.

Nicola, fire up the engines.

Pronouns: He/Him

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:52 - Dec 4 with 6860 viewsimsureazzure

As there is already a currency, tax, measurements and language 'border' I can not see the trouble with having a 'border'.
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:54 - Dec 4 with 6844 viewsStokieBlue

It's what they do.

Exactly, opens a massive can of worms which will mean the UK won't actually leave.

Otherwise I am sure it could be challenged in court that NI is getting something other citizens aren't.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:59 - Dec 4 with 6825 viewsBlueBadger

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:52 - Dec 4 by imsureazzure

As there is already a currency, tax, measurements and language 'border' I can not see the trouble with having a 'border'.

..other than it will make the movement of people, goods and services more difficult and expensive and ultimately detrimental to the economies of both nations.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 14:02]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:10 - Dec 4 with 6786 viewschicoazul

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 12:54 - Dec 4 by StokieBlue

Exactly, opens a massive can of worms which will mean the UK won't actually leave.

Otherwise I am sure it could be challenged in court that NI is getting something other citizens aren't.

SB

Well we arent going to leave. Instead of being half in the EU as we are now we will end up being half out.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:12 - Dec 4 with 6773 viewsBlueBadger

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:10 - Dec 4 by chicoazul

Well we arent going to leave. Instead of being half in the EU as we are now we will end up being half out.

There'll be a 'worst of all worlds' deal whereby we end up being subject to rules and regs for trade and movement, paying into a common market that we've got reduced terms with and no realistic say in how things are decided.
Still, at least it will have achieved its main aim in unifying the Conservative party.

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:18 - Dec 4 with 6752 viewsNo9

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:12 - Dec 4 by BlueBadger

There'll be a 'worst of all worlds' deal whereby we end up being subject to rules and regs for trade and movement, paying into a common market that we've got reduced terms with and no realistic say in how things are decided.
Still, at least it will have achieved its main aim in unifying the Conservative party.

"Still, at least it will have achieved its main aim in unifying the Conservative party."

I don't think that has happened yet & as many of the 'Leave' RW have much to lose by the UK not leaving in total, this may yet develop into another internal war in the parliamentary MP's
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:18 - Dec 4 with 6749 viewsBlueBadger

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:18 - Dec 4 by No9

"Still, at least it will have achieved its main aim in unifying the Conservative party."

I don't think that has happened yet & as many of the 'Leave' RW have much to lose by the UK not leaving in total, this may yet develop into another internal war in the parliamentary MP's

'Irony' is just some you use to get creases out of cloths in your world, isn't it?

;)

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:19 - Dec 4 with 6753 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:12 - Dec 4 by BlueBadger

I bet we will end up with a second ref based on the outcome of negotiations which, in a long winded way, will have seen off the rise of ukip and hopefully Corbyn and his anti business crew too
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:20 - Dec 4 with 6744 viewsNo9

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:18 - Dec 4 by BlueBadger

'Irony' is just some you use to get creases out of cloths in your world, isn't it?

;)

You have not noticed the tory party is a long way from being unified?

You haven't read what the 35 MP's interests are?
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:22 - Dec 4 with 6743 viewsNo9

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:19 - Dec 4 by FrowsyArmLarry

I bet we will end up with a second ref based on the outcome of negotiations which, in a long winded way, will have seen off the rise of ukip and hopefully Corbyn and his anti business crew too

So what do you want?
A tory dictatorship with UK laws made in overseas boardrooms?
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:23 - Dec 4 with 6739 viewshype313

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:18 - Dec 4 by No9

As Murder said above, this whole mess can be blamed at one persons door. Anthony Blair and the Labour Party.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:26 - Dec 4 with 6717 viewsNo9

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:23 - Dec 4 by hype313

As Murder said above, this whole mess can be blamed at one persons door. Anthony Blair and the Labour Party.

You can blame Blair for a lot of things but how can you blame Blair for this when the whole war in the tory party started before Blair even got into politics
If you llok at falsehoods instead of reality you will neve ever solve a problem- will you?
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:30 - Dec 4 with 6709 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:22 - Dec 4 by No9

So what do you want?
A tory dictatorship with UK laws made in overseas boardrooms?

Isolationism is not an option. That’s all I’ve got time to say
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:31 - Dec 4 with 6705 viewsStokieBlue

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:26 - Dec 4 by No9

You can blame Blair for a lot of things but how can you blame Blair for this when the whole war in the tory party started before Blair even got into politics
If you llok at falsehoods instead of reality you will neve ever solve a problem- will you?

I think he means Blair promised a referendum on the Lisbon treaty prior to 2006 and then didn't have one and just signed it.

This likely greatly increased the support for parties like UKIP as people probably felt (rightly or wrongly) that they were being forced into something they were promised a say on but without having a say.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:32 - Dec 4 with 6705 viewsSteve_M

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:23 - Dec 4 by hype313

Enlargement of the EU was a British policy because it weakens the integrationist impulse, the UK couldn't then turn around and refuse to allow migration from the accession countries. That that immigration, and people's reasonable concerns, was weaponised by racists and populists is the real problem*.

The real fault lies with Cameron's short-term attempts to placate the right of the Tory party and his and Osborne's decision to impose a politically driven austerity that hit the poorest in the country hardest and then to follow that up by looking for short-term advantage against Labour without thinking about the longer-term.

*And before anyone says that no one was allowed to talk about immigration, why then has it dominated British political culture to a disproportionate extent for the last decade and a bit?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:39 - Dec 4 with 6688 viewsNo9

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:31 - Dec 4 by StokieBlue

I think he means Blair promised a referendum on the Lisbon treaty prior to 2006 and then didn't have one and just signed it.

This likely greatly increased the support for parties like UKIP as people probably felt (rightly or wrongly) that they were being forced into something they were promised a say on but without having a say.

SB

Maybe but the war in the tory party started long before the Lisbon treaty.

As I recall it Blair's proposal was not a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU but as to whether or not to do so on the constitutional issues arising from the Lisbon treaty.
In the event legal advice seems to have been that there was nothing totally new in the treaty, just some amendments.

Don't forget labour were initially against the EU until it became obvious that working people could benefit from the EU.
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 14:03 - Dec 4 with 6654 viewsBlueBadger

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:20 - Dec 4 by No9

You have not noticed the tory party is a long way from being unified?

You haven't read what the 35 MP's interests are?

Yes, then?

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 14:15 - Dec 4 with 6624 viewsNo9

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 14:03 - Dec 4 by BlueBadger

Yes, then?

Yes then, what?
MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 14:19 - Dec 4 with 6613 viewsNo9

MEPs say UK has conceded on Ireland border in Brexit talks on 13:32 - Dec 4 by Steve_M

Enlargement of the EU was a British policy because it weakens the integrationist impulse, the UK couldn't then turn around and refuse to allow migration from the accession countries. That that immigration, and people's reasonable concerns, was weaponised by racists and populists is the real problem*.

The real fault lies with Cameron's short-term attempts to placate the right of the Tory party and his and Osborne's decision to impose a politically driven austerity that hit the poorest in the country hardest and then to follow that up by looking for short-term advantage against Labour without thinking about the longer-term.

*And before anyone says that no one was allowed to talk about immigration, why then has it dominated British political culture to a disproportionate extent for the last decade and a bit?

There was also the idealogical move to widen the EU community by including some of the nations on the Eatern borders not only to improve their lot but also to try to remove the threat of them being taken over by Russian interests.

While many point the finger at Spain & Portugal they would only recognise the benefits these nations have had from joining the EU.
Ou Oluns can remember that
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024