Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coffee pod machines 16:21 - Dec 5 with 16045 viewsBent_double

I'm thinking about getting one of these, but with so many out there it's difficult to know what's the best value for money.

The Tassimo by Bosch Caddy T75 gets really good reviews on Argos, anyone got one of those, or recommend a better one?

What's the deal with the pods/discs with most of these, do you have to buy the proper ones, or are 3rd party ones OK (Lidl/Aldi are now selling them I think)?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Coffee pod machines on 08:58 - Dec 6 with 4567 viewsnoggin

I actually stopped using mine because of all the plastic.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

on 09:00 - Dec 6 with 4567 views_

Coffee pod machines on 17:41 - Dec 5 by Bent_double

Well, yes I guess you're right, but what these machines do give you is speed, convenience and a variety that you don't get with a standard coffee machine.

Coffee pod machines on 09:05 - Dec 6 with 4560 viewshoppy

Coffee pod machines on 08:58 - Dec 6 by noggin

I actually stopped using mine because of all the plastic.

I was bought one of the Dolce Gusto ones, and after discovering you only got 8 drinks out of a box of pods if you went for the capuccino or latte etc as they use 2, I only get the Americano ones now when I use it. The amount of plastic waste is appalling though and something I would like to eliminate (which is why I mentioned it in my first reply on the first page), so I'm interested to see on this thread that you can get refillable pods - does anyone know if there is a Dulce Gusto version of the refillable ones, or is it only the Nespresso type pods?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Coffee pod machines on 09:20 - Dec 6 with 4550 viewshype313

Coffee pod machines on 21:54 - Dec 5 by WeWereZombies

The degrading of the planet bit was aimed at the Tassimo etc., the advantage of beans over ready ground is freshness.

But you said this in response to my advice of buying a bean to cup machine

"Or just be normal and get a filter machine or cafetiere and buy some ground coffee so that you have a sustainable machine, aren't ripped off for your consumables and don't degrade our planet...and have coffee that tastes like coffee to boot!"

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Coffee pod machines on 09:25 - Dec 6 with 4538 viewsipswich78

Coffee pod machines on 18:01 - Dec 5 by WeWereZombies

Yeh, yeh, yeh - top trolling, well done. If you are really serious about coffee you are going to buy unroasted beans and then roast them in small quantities for a few days supply. Everything else is fiddling around the edges but who has the time and patience for roasting beans? I do at least grind beans bought ready roasted and vary the fineness according to use, somedays I use the filter machine, somedays a little espresso pot, somedays instant so I can appreciate the other days...and somedays I pay £2 or £3 for the bland stuff at cafes with feck off noisy machines.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2017 18:07]

How is that remotely trolling? Why is is that anybody who disagrees with somebody online is now a troll?

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Coffee pod machines on 09:37 - Dec 6 with 4521 viewsBent_double

on 09:00 - Dec 6 by _

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Coffee pod machines on 09:53 - Dec 6 with 4513 viewsDarkHorse

I have a Nespresso machine and it occasionally gets some use when I'm being really lazy, but a bean to cup machine is probably your best bet. Use any beans you like, better for the environment, and cheaper in the long run. Can pick one up new for under £200:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-ESAM2800-SB-Bean-Coffee-Machine/dp/B00LB8FHJ4

Alternatively, a decent burr hand grinder + Aeropress will give you great coffee.
Coffee pod machines on 22:17 - Dec 6 with 4450 viewsWeWereZombies

Coffee pod machines on 09:20 - Dec 6 by hype313

"Or just be normal and get a filter machine or cafetiere and buy some ground coffee so that you have a sustainable machine, aren't ripped off for your consumables and don't degrade our planet...and have coffee that tastes like coffee to boot!"

To be honest I have no idea what a bean to cup machine is and cannot be arsed to find out.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Coffee pod machines on 22:20 - Dec 6 with 4447 viewsWeWereZombies

Coffee pod machines on 09:25 - Dec 6 by ipswich78

How is that remotely trolling? Why is is that anybody who disagrees with somebody online is now a troll?

Well, I am not going to use an emoji, am I?

Coffee pod machines on 09:45 - Dec 7 with 4392 viewsTractorWood

Coffee pod machines on 08:55 - Dec 6 by SaleAway

Just for another point of view. I have a Nespresso machine. Love its flexibility, ease of use, and coffee making ability. I've been through cafetieres, stove top espresso makers , and a cheap proper steam espresso job, and this is the only thing that works for me. I don't drink a huge amount of coffee, so the consumables cost isn't too bad for me, and I get a much fresher coffee, than I would with buying fresh coffee, which I never actually used.

The only other thing that I've come across coffee wise is the Aeropress, which is brilliant. I have one for camping, and a load of people that I know have them at work, as a way of getting a decent coffee where you don't have normal facilities.

http://www.aeropress.co.uk/

Same. Have a Nespresso. It gets used 3/4 times a week so the cost is pretty negligible. I try to avoid coffee that is too strong so works for me. I know some people see coffee as a passionate art but I just enjoy it occasionally. The recycling thing does worry me so may consider my options soon.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Coffee pod machines on 12:28 - Dec 7 with 4379 viewshype313

Coffee pod machines on 22:17 - Dec 6 by WeWereZombies

To be honest I have no idea what a bean to cup machine is and cannot be arsed to find out.

It's a machine that grinds coffee beans, then makes said coffee in a cup.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Coffee pod machines on 13:10 - Dec 7 with 4362 viewsJohnWarksTash

I have a nespresso which I love. The pods from Aldi are great and made of plastic so they go in the usual recycling, but the official nespresso pods can be recycled at their stores.

If all you are after is a quick and easy way to make a decent cup of coffee I would say you can't go wrong with them, but I'm not expert.....it tastes good and doesn't cost huge amounts compared to Costa etc...
Coffee pod machines on 14:38 - Dec 7 with 4345 viewsDeano69

Coffee pod machines on 09:37 - Dec 6 by Bent_double

We were in Costa Rica this year and visited a place that grows etc Coffee, the guy doing a little presentation was showing us the various stages and bean quality etc. At one point (and i quote) 'these are the lowest grade beans and the only thing this s**t is good for is animal food and instant coffee, Nescafe buys loads of these'.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Coffee pod machines on 14:47 - Dec 7 with 4338 viewsSpruceMoose

Coffee pod machines on 08:55 - Dec 6 by SaleAway

Just for another point of view. I have a Nespresso machine. Love its flexibility, ease of use, and coffee making ability. I've been through cafetieres, stove top espresso makers , and a cheap proper steam espresso job, and this is the only thing that works for me. I don't drink a huge amount of coffee, so the consumables cost isn't too bad for me, and I get a much fresher coffee, than I would with buying fresh coffee, which I never actually used.

The only other thing that I've come across coffee wise is the Aeropress, which is brilliant. I have one for camping, and a load of people that I know have them at work, as a way of getting a decent coffee where you don't have normal facilities.

http://www.aeropress.co.uk/

another vote for the Aeropress. My life enjoyment increased by about 5% just by buying one.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Coffee pod machines on 16:44 - Dec 7 with 4321 viewsWeWereZombies

Coffee pod machines on 12:28 - Dec 7 by hype313

It's a machine that grinds coffee beans, then makes said coffee in a cup.

I've got a machine that grinds beans, and I then decide what I am going to do with the ground coffee. I guess I have a bean to brain system...

Coffee pod machines on 17:08 - Dec 7 with 4315 viewsDurovigutum

Nespresso give you bags to put your used pods in and send back to them for recycling...
Coffee pod machines on 19:34 - Dec 7 with 4282 viewsblue_oyster

These are excellent

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Coffee pod machines on 10:34 - Dec 15 with 4183 viewsJ2BLUE

Has anyone tried the Costa Latte for Tassimo machines? I'm considering the Bosch Vivy 2 T14. It has very good reviews but I want to know that the pods are at least close to the real Costa taste?

You can send the pods back to Terracycle who turn them into things like 'watering cans, benches, cutting boards etc' so waste isn't really an issue.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Coffee pod machines on 13:37 - Dec 15 with 4154 viewsJ2BLUE

Coffee pod machines on 10:34 - Dec 15 by J2BLUE

Has anyone tried the Costa Latte for Tassimo machines? I'm considering the Bosch Vivy 2 T14. It has very good reviews but I want to know that the pods are at least close to the real Costa taste?

You can send the pods back to Terracycle who turn them into things like 'watering cans, benches, cutting boards etc' so waste isn't really an issue.

TWTD, I demand answers.

Truly impaired.

Coffee pod machines on 15:44 - Dec 15 with 4131 viewsNumber_Nine

Get a good proper espresso maker (I have a Gaggia Classic) and buy locally roasted coffee from Joao on the Coffee Link van in the market on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.

Freshly ground, and a great variety. And no plastic tin foil waste.

Pods are rubbish.

2∞&→ Science gives me a hadron
Poll: Best Pink Floyd File

Coffee pod machines on 06:09 - Dec 16 with 4089 viewsdylanisabaddog

I've had a Nespresso machine for 4 years. If you buy pods from Nespresso they collect and recycle the old ones. The Nespresso machines are expensive but produce superior coffee to other pod machines. The Nespresso pods are best but there are some good alternatives and the Aldi pods are half the price and excellent value.
Having said that, I bought a 'proper' coffee machine from Lidl for £45 and it produces a better quality coffee than the Nespresso. That is when I can be bothered with the messing about!
Coffee pod machines on 07:48 - Dec 16 with 4078 viewsDubtractor

Coffee pod machines on 15:44 - Dec 15 by Number_Nine

Get a good proper espresso maker (I have a Gaggia Classic) and buy locally roasted coffee from Joao on the Coffee Link van in the market on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.

Freshly ground, and a great variety. And no plastic tin foil waste.

Pods are rubbish.

I buy my beans from Joao too. Good chap.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Coffee pod machines on 07:51 - Dec 16 with 4076 viewsDubtractor

Coffee pod machines on 10:34 - Dec 15 by J2BLUE

I'm not sure you can say that waste isn't an issue.

It still uses a lot of resources to recycle them, plus not all of the pod can be recycled and therefore is still waste.

But ultimately, you'll get much better coffee buying beans and using either an espresso machine or filter of some sort, and it will work out miles cheaper.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Coffee pod machines on 08:10 - Dec 16 with 4069 viewsLord_Lucan

Coffee pod machines on 09:20 - Dec 6 by hype313

Nearly this.

Get a cafetiere and buy whole beans. Keep the beans in a fridge and grind them just before use. Each to their own but I find Brighton Lanes coffee the best tasting one I have every bought.

http://www.coffeecompass.co.uk/shop/espresso-range/brighton-lanes-blend-500g.htm

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Coffee pod machines on 09:51 - Dec 16 with 4051 viewsJ2BLUE

Coffee pod machines on 07:51 - Dec 16 by Dubtractor

I'm not sure you can say that waste isn't an issue.

It still uses a lot of resources to recycle them, plus not all of the pod can be recycled and therefore is still waste.

But ultimately, you'll get much better coffee buying beans and using either an espresso machine or filter of some sort, and it will work out miles cheaper.

I'm not bothered enough to buy the beans to be honest.

I've decided against it anyway. The reviews of the Costa pods go from overwhelmingly positive to many saying they are awful after they changed the formula. I will stick with Azera latte sachets for my rare coffee at home.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024