Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big fat Joe.... 09:37 - Dec 6 with 4457 viewsitfcjoe

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2017/12/5/16738928/everton-manager-latest-j

Could be a good Director of Football with the role he has been doing at Everton - I think Norwich bought him in as one at one point but he went back to Everton?

Geographically it may not work for him here, but if Mick is off I would be happy to have BFJ in an overseeing role on the football side of things if we were to bring in a more inexperienced manager

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Big fat Joe.... on 10:06 - Dec 6 with 4374 viewssolemio

Sorry, I down arrowed by mistake.
Big fat Joe.... on 10:34 - Dec 6 with 4351 viewsDarth_Koont

I like the sound of a wise head to help out and let the manager just focus on coaching his squad.

Begs the question, what about that role for Mick himself after this year?

Pronouns: He/Him

Big fat Joe.... on 10:37 - Dec 6 with 4344 viewsitfcjoe

Big fat Joe.... on 10:34 - Dec 6 by Darth_Koont

I like the sound of a wise head to help out and let the manager just focus on coaching his squad.

Begs the question, what about that role for Mick himself after this year?

I just don't think it is something that interests Mick, he still seems to enjoy being in the foreground with training, matches and the media side of things. Plus if his time here is up then I can't see him wanting to hang around.

But recruitment wise, he is still excellent.

Big fat Joe.... on 10:48 - Dec 6 with 4324 viewsDarth_Koont

Big fat Joe.... on 10:37 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

I just don't think it is something that interests Mick, he still seems to enjoy being in the foreground with training, matches and the media side of things. Plus if his time here is up then I can't see him wanting to hang around.

Yeah, I take your point.

On a related note, there's a very good Shankly documentary on iPlayer that talks about the difficulties when he retired but couldn't take a back seat. Great documentary. It also gives the proper context for his "football is more important than life and death" quote — it was about the importance to the community not some dry obsession with what happened out on the pitch or results. Many lessons for today's football.

Pronouns: He/Him

Big fat Joe.... on 10:55 - Dec 6 with 4310 viewshype313

Big fat Joe.... on 10:48 - Dec 6 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, I take your point.

On a related note, there's a very good Shankly documentary on iPlayer that talks about the difficulties when he retired but couldn't take a back seat. Great documentary. It also gives the proper context for his "football is more important than life and death" quote — it was about the importance to the community not some dry obsession with what happened out on the pitch or results. Many lessons for today's football.

I've been really surprised how Ferguson has taken retirement, to go from being in the limelight daily for 20 years at one of the biggest clubs in the world, to relative anonymity is quite an eye opener.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Big fat Joe.... on 11:42 - Dec 6 with 4253 viewsPJH

Big fat Joe.... on 10:55 - Dec 6 by hype313

I've been really surprised how Ferguson has taken retirement, to go from being in the limelight daily for 20 years at one of the biggest clubs in the world, to relative anonymity is quite an eye opener.

According to a biography that I have got of him, Bill Shankly found retirement very difficult and very much regretted his decision.
He was forever turning up at the Liverpool training ground and (apparently) had to be politely told to stay away.

edit-regarding OP I think BFJ would be ideal but Everton will always be his true home.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 11:45]
Big fat Joe.... on 11:47 - Dec 6 with 4244 viewsITFCBlues

Big fat Joe.... on 10:37 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

Recruitment wise he’s excellent?

Did you see the players Everton signed in the summer!!?? Part of the reason they’re struggling at the wrong end of the table is their poor recruitment! Much like Spurs did with the Bale money...

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Big fat Joe.... on 11:49 - Dec 6 with 4234 viewsPJH

Big fat Joe.... on 11:47 - Dec 6 by ITFCBlues

Did you see the players Everton signed in the summer!!?? Part of the reason they’re struggling at the wrong end of the table is their poor recruitment! Much like Spurs did with the Bale money...

I think itfcjoe is referring to MM and not BFJ.
Login to get fewer ads

Big fat Joe.... on 11:50 - Dec 6 with 4233 viewsitfcjoe

I was talking about Mick.

Royle has had no say in their recruitment

Big fat Joe.... on 13:00 - Dec 6 with 4141 viewsbluewein

Steve Walsh did the recruiting.

Koemans final act was to blame Walsh for the terrible way his side were playing, such was his ego.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Big fat Joe.... on 13:03 - Dec 6 with 4122 viewschicoazul

Remember that time he paid out of his own pocket for the team and staff to stay in a hotel before a game as the club had literally no money? What a guy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Big fat Joe.... on 13:04 - Dec 6 with 4116 viewschicoazul

Big fat Joe.... on 10:55 - Dec 6 by hype313

Ferguson always had lots of interests outside of football, horses and wine for instance. Supposedly he didnt really do any training work for his last 4 or 5 years and was rarely seen at Carrington.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 13:05]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Big fat Joe.... on 13:07 - Dec 6 with 4099 viewsitfcjoe

Big fat Joe.... on 13:00 - Dec 6 by bluewein

Steve Walsh did the recruiting.

Koemans final act was to blame Walsh for the terrible way his side were playing, such was his ego.

It felt like everyone was still recruiting which was the problem.

Davy Klaasen seemed a Koeman signing
Gylfi Sigurdsson was a Walsh signing
Wayne Rooney was a Bill kenwright/Chinese owner signing

And then you are stuck with 3 number 10s who can't play together. Feels harsh to blame one person for it all when there was clearly different factions at play - probably why managerial appointment took so long.

Big fat Joe.... on 13:11 - Dec 6 with 4077 viewsbluewein

Big fat Joe.... on 13:07 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

It felt like everyone was still recruiting which was the problem.

Davy Klaasen seemed a Koeman signing
Gylfi Sigurdsson was a Walsh signing
Wayne Rooney was a Bill kenwright/Chinese owner signing

And then you are stuck with 3 number 10s who can't play together. Feels harsh to blame one person for it all when there was clearly different factions at play - probably why managerial appointment took so long.

Agree it does seem harsh on Walsh. Like I say, Koeman went into him and said it was all his fault.

I know quite a bit about what happened in those final few minutes of Koemans Everton career and it definitely ain't pretty.

Big fat Joe.... on 13:16 - Dec 6 with 4051 viewsitfcjoe

Big fat Joe.... on 13:11 - Dec 6 by bluewein

Agree it does seem harsh on Walsh. Like I say, Koeman went into him and said it was all his fault.

I know quite a bit about what happened in those final few minutes of Koemans Everton career and it definitely ain't pretty.

He doesn't strike me as someone particularly pleasant, an ego the size of a country

Big fat Joe.... on 13:33 - Dec 6 with 4014 viewsSteve_M

Big fat Joe.... on 13:16 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

He doesn't strike me as someone particularly pleasant, an ego the size of a country

An impression he seemed to give as a player too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Big fat Joe.... on 13:39 - Dec 6 with 3989 viewsbluewein

Big fat Joe.... on 13:33 - Dec 6 by Steve_M

An impression he seemed to give as a player too.

Barkley, Baines and Mirallas all told him they thought he was a twot to his face.

Edit: Needless to say, it didn't work out too well for them.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 13:42]

Big fat Joe.... on 14:01 - Dec 6 with 3944 viewsNo9

You don't think that would be a backward step?
Big fat Joe.... on 15:10 - Dec 6 with 3884 viewsWickets

Big fat Joe.... on 13:16 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

Some might say thats a bit like Mick!
Big fat Joe.... on 16:13 - Dec 6 with 3830 viewsArcher4721

There's absolutely no chance he would return here.
Big fat Joe.... on 03:44 - Dec 7 with 3685 viewsharlingblue

In the Notts Forest game, we looked like a MM/JR team, and how we enjoyed that.
MM now showing his real worth, BC bringing The Academy back up to scratch, perhaps JR could fulfill the roll of ME, (not as the paymaster) but the Director of football and face of ITFC?
An ex centre half and ex centre forward in harmony, that could work fine as a spine of the club?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024