Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some people are on the pitch... 18:23 - Dec 6 with 7445 viewsTheSelkirk

Unlike most it seems, I really can't remember when I went to watch my first Town game.

However, I do have a recollection which no-one I have told believes.

I remember sitting on the grass beside the goal for a few matches - actually leaning on the post for one game. This, I assume, was when the North Stand was full (?). Not sure exactly when, but early seventies I would guess.

Can anyone else on here, likely over 50, recall this happening or should I be checking into a home for the confused and deluded??
Some people are on the pitch... on 18:28 - Dec 6 with 7416 viewscarlisleaway

Man City cup replay at Portman Road, children sat on the pitch in front of the Nirth Stand
Some people are on the pitch... on 18:31 - Dec 6 with 7412 viewsLord_Lucan

Churchmans maybe but North Stand was adults only.

Used to happen now and again. When I first went to football at West Ham it happened every week, you would simply get lifted up and passed down the terraces by one drunkard to another.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Some people are on the pitch... on 19:48 - Dec 6 with 7351 viewstazdac

I remember a game against Arsenal about ‘79 we sat behind the advertising boards at Churchmans stand :o)
Some people are on the pitch... on 19:53 - Dec 6 with 7341 viewsTheSelkirk

Some people are on the pitch... on 18:31 - Dec 6 by Lord_Lucan

Used to happen now and again. When I first went to football at West Ham it happened every week, you would simply get lifted up and passed down the terraces by one drunkard to another.

Not sure if the North Stand was adults only back then. Certainly used to stand there when still at school (13-14 ish)
Some people are on the pitch... on 20:02 - Dec 6 with 7328 viewsLord_Lucan

Some people are on the pitch... on 19:53 - Dec 6 by TheSelkirk

Not sure if the North Stand was adults only back then. Certainly used to stand there when still at school (13-14 ish)

It wasn't adults only as such but you couldn't get a kids ticket.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Some people are on the pitch... on 21:09 - Dec 6 with 7275 viewsbluefunk

I can remember some games where kids were sitting around the pitch on the grass, and I can also remember police coming into the North and pulling people out (mostly youngsters) and sending them round the pitch. That was a Liverpool visit and the North was like a battleground and way over capacity, so it felt. Some ended up sitting on the grass I think but we got ushered into the West stand as it was called then - at a guess that was 1973?
Some people are on the pitch... on 23:21 - Dec 6 with 7203 viewsPendejo

Some people are on the pitch... on 20:02 - Dec 6 by Lord_Lucan

It wasn't adults only as such but you couldn't get a kids ticket.

Kids prices for North were scrapped when the fences were put up. Prior to that when the thin blue line was there and often away fans chose to stand where they wanted there were kids prices... as my first season 76-77 was spent in North Stand, usually at the front standing on a specially made wooden stool with step-brother, step-mother and my father.

Can remember seeing myself on Match of the Week v Newcastle surrounded by Newcastle fans as they'd decided to stand Portman Road side of North Stand.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Some people are on the pitch... on 23:44 - Dec 6 with 7178 viewspowinswitch

In about 72 or 73 I sat on the grass in front of the churchmans for the Arsenal game. Closest I ever got to grac8ng the hallowed turf
Login to get fewer ads

Some people are on the pitch... on 00:03 - Dec 7 with 7163 viewsfloridablue

If your in your early sixties it could well of been the FA cup replay against Man City, a night game. Year was 67/68 and i ended up on the grass in the corner of the East & Churchmans with the whole turf around the stadium filled with kids. Certainly not unusual in the early 70s for the 'big' games.
Some people are on the pitch... on 00:22 - Dec 7 with 7147 viewspatrickswell

Some people are on the pitch... on 21:09 - Dec 6 by bluefunk

I can remember some games where kids were sitting around the pitch on the grass, and I can also remember police coming into the North and pulling people out (mostly youngsters) and sending them round the pitch. That was a Liverpool visit and the North was like a battleground and way over capacity, so it felt. Some ended up sitting on the grass I think but we got ushered into the West stand as it was called then - at a guess that was 1973?

That Liverpool game in April 1974 was on the Ipswich Match of the Day video and features loads of people sat virtually on the touch lines. So much so that when Trevor Whymark heads home Clive Woods’s cross at the far post at Churchmans, he runs into a fan who’s virtually on the pitch as the ball goes into the net.
Some people are on the pitch... on 08:59 - Dec 7 with 7011 viewslongtimefan

I remember sitting on the side of the pitch in front of the East stand. It was the game against Man U in, I believe, 1970 when we one 4-0 against a team containing George Best, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law and Nobby Stiles. It was my very first, first-team match and was a birthday present. My Dad went to his normal place in Churcmans and left my Mum to take me in the East Stand! It was so full children were getting squashed and unable to see so they eventually let loads of us out onto the pitch side.
Some people are on the pitch... on 10:25 - Dec 7 with 6976 viewsconnorscontract

Some people are on the pitch... on 23:21 - Dec 6 by Pendejo

Kids prices for North were scrapped when the fences were put up. Prior to that when the thin blue line was there and often away fans chose to stand where they wanted there were kids prices... as my first season 76-77 was spent in North Stand, usually at the front standing on a specially made wooden stool with step-brother, step-mother and my father.

Can remember seeing myself on Match of the Week v Newcastle surrounded by Newcastle fans as they'd decided to stand Portman Road side of North Stand.

If you were the one on the wooden stool then you were the step-brother.
Some people are on the pitch... on 13:40 - Dec 7 with 6932 viewsWaterfootblue

I seem to remember police removing kids from the stands and sitting them on the grass in the glory year of 1961/62, particularly toward the end of the season when the crowd increased week on week. But at 70 could be going senile. Started supporting Towen the previous season.
Some people are on the pitch... on 13:58 - Dec 7 with 6919 viewsPJH

Some people are on the pitch... on 13:40 - Dec 7 by Waterfootblue

I seem to remember police removing kids from the stands and sitting them on the grass in the glory year of 1961/62, particularly toward the end of the season when the crowd increased week on week. But at 70 could be going senile. Started supporting Towen the previous season.

Just looking through some of my many ITFC books and there is a picture of the team coming onto the pitch in 1961/62 and there are certainly people sitting in front of Churchmans.
I think the picture was probably taken at the last game of the season against Villa although it does not say so.
I was always in the West Stand that season(on the wall) and don't recall anyone being in front there but probably were at both ends of the ground for the bigger crowd games(Arsenal,Villa and Spurs being the three biggest).
Some people are on the pitch... on 14:11 - Dec 7 with 6897 viewsWaterfootblue

Some people are on the pitch... on 13:58 - Dec 7 by PJH

Just looking through some of my many ITFC books and there is a picture of the team coming onto the pitch in 1961/62 and there are certainly people sitting in front of Churchmans.
I think the picture was probably taken at the last game of the season against Villa although it does not say so.
I was always in the West Stand that season(on the wall) and don't recall anyone being in front there but probably were at both ends of the ground for the bigger crowd games(Arsenal,Villa and Spurs being the three biggest).

Always been a North Stander and they were in front of the North. Both Spurs and Arsenal brought a large following and as you say Villa was a massive crowd. Happy Days.
"On the Town the crowd are roaring Ray and Ted have started scoring. In the net the balls are roaring, singing on the Town".
Some people are on the pitch... on 14:18 - Dec 7 with 6888 viewsMedwayTractor

Some people are on the pitch... on 13:40 - Dec 7 by Waterfootblue

No, you're not going senile, I remember sitting on the grass in the corner between the North & West stands. My first full year following Town.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Some people are on the pitch... on 14:33 - Dec 7 with 6880 viewsWaterfootblue

Some people are on the pitch... on 14:18 - Dec 7 by MedwayTractor

No, you're not going senile, I remember sitting on the grass in the corner between the North & West stands. My first full year following Town.

That's very reassuring Medway, sometimes I wonder! So many years ago. Sad to think we lost SAR and failed to build on that success, suppose same could be said after the SBR years. But I guess that is football, ups and downs.
Some people are on the pitch... on 23:00 - Dec 7 with 6819 viewsArnieM

Some people are on the pitch... on 18:31 - Dec 6 by Lord_Lucan

I think the NS became adults only at a much later date. I used to stand in the NS from the age of 11! We used to stand down near the front up against the wall. I also remember having climb onto the pitch in the FA Cup game vs Liverpool (where Mills scored the winner), cos the thieving scallys were nicking all my badges and scarves I was wearing. The coppers allowed me and my friend into the pitch and we were walked round to the Churchmans . TWTD’s !!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Some people are on the pitch... on 23:08 - Dec 7 with 6815 viewsRocky

Some people are on the pitch... on 18:28 - Dec 6 by carlisleaway

Man City cup replay at Portman Road, children sat on the pitch in front of the Nirth Stand

The Man City cup replay - a midweek game under floodlghts - sticks in my memory as the scariest of all. Only a young lad then and I came close to passing out a few times with the crush of people trying to get in. Never experienced anything quite like it before or since.
Some people are on the pitch... on 09:02 - Dec 8 with 6750 viewsPJH

Some people are on the pitch... on 23:08 - Dec 7 by Rocky

The Man City cup replay - a midweek game under floodlghts - sticks in my memory as the scariest of all. Only a young lad then and I came close to passing out a few times with the crush of people trying to get in. Never experienced anything quite like it before or since.

That was when there were (supposedly) different turnstiles for adults and children but a load of adults were going in through the kids turnstile.
I was 16 at the time but I had my 9 year old sister with me, our parents were inside waiting for us to get in and going frantic.
Some people are on the pitch... on 09:32 - Dec 8 with 6740 viewstextbackup

Even tho I'm not that age I can say it happened, dad tells of it, also the various pics I've seen.
Kids sitting on the pitch and cars behind the goal, imagine those times piss on the football experience now

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Some people are on the pitch... on 09:44 - Dec 8 with 6736 viewsPJH

Some people are on the pitch... on 09:32 - Dec 8 by textbackup

Even tho I'm not that age I can say it happened, dad tells of it, also the various pics I've seen.
Kids sitting on the pitch and cars behind the goal, imagine those times piss on the football experience now

The cars were 3 wheeler's with disabled drivers.
It certainly happened, as did ITFC winning the League.
Some people are on the pitch... on 12:30 - Dec 8 with 6698 viewsSwailsey

John Wark's testimonial against Arsenal.

I saw Ian Wright score, then made my dad buy me a hot chocolate meaning we missed (Mathie?) equalizing.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Some people are on the pitch... on 18:54 - Dec 8 with 6636 viewsWaterfootblue

Some people are on the pitch... on 09:44 - Dec 8 by PJH

The cars were 3 wheeler's with disabled drivers.
It certainly happened, as did ITFC winning the League.

Then people were really on the pitch, "amazing scenes".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024