Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today 20:50 - Dec 6 with 3793 viewsWeWereZombies

What I mean is we belong to the same kayak club and chanced upon each other in the Co-op, not that we were paddling down the aisles.

Anyway, we were talking about the old days and he said the only ground he got punched as a travelling supporter was Portman Road!

However, he also said that the old North Stand (which he called our Kop) was, when you took into account the catchment area, easily the loudest home support in all the grounds he went to. We were a full on bunch of supporters back then, weren't we?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 21:00 - Dec 6 with 3728 viewsMattinLondon

Still are it's just that a lot of people have lost their enthusiasm and it'll take a bit more than a few good times to get it back.
Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 21:05 - Dec 6 with 3699 viewsclive_baker

Was he pissed?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 21:15 - Dec 6 with 3698 viewsnorth_stand77

Yes we were!
But I think most of the ground used to sing, not just the North Stand.

The away support took up part of the North Stand with a thin line of police separating the two sets of fans. Having both parties singing at each other encouraged 'volume' shall we say!
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 21:19]
Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 21:18 - Dec 6 with 3688 viewsLord_Lucan

In our re visit to the PL Alex Ferguson said playing ipswich at PR was difficult because of the noise the crowd made. We were then in all the nationals as it was said the noise resembled a jumbo jet taking off. I then started to notice a load of happy clappers appearing from nowhere and the atmosphere changed - not unlike this board.

I remember back in about 1980 at a league cup semi, two Liverpool lads were stabbed. Give the scouser a kick in the balls and tell him he got off lightly.

Kayaking seems an odd pastime by the way.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 21:21 - Dec 6 with 3659 viewsGeoffSentence

not really, we were zombies.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 22:13 - Dec 6 with 3550 viewsWeWereZombies

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 21:21 - Dec 6 by GeoffSentence

not really, we were zombies.

Was that just Churchmans though?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 08:31 - Dec 7 with 3325 viewsGeoffSentence

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 22:13 - Dec 6 by WeWereZombies

Was that just Churchmans though?

Not unless you could fit 25,000 zombies into the churchmans.

"I told the press we had 25,000 zombies in the ground"

It is an odd one, we had both reputations, zombies and super noisy. Perhaps our fans were more hyped for Man Utd than Coventry.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 08:52 - Dec 7 with 3290 viewsbluejake78

I stood at the back of the Churchmans.Wooden steps which were warmer for those midwinter days.
We then moved to the West next to the away fans.Quite lively there.
I now only go in the SBR lower
Login to get fewer ads

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 09:07 - Dec 7 with 3265 viewshype313

Also remember the old North Stand used to house both home and away fans which added extra spice to the atmosphere.

Now it makes a library sound like a Rave.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 13:14 - Dec 7 with 3157 viewsVic

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 21:18 - Dec 6 by Lord_Lucan

In our re visit to the PL Alex Ferguson said playing ipswich at PR was difficult because of the noise the crowd made. We were then in all the nationals as it was said the noise resembled a jumbo jet taking off. I then started to notice a load of happy clappers appearing from nowhere and the atmosphere changed - not unlike this board.

I remember back in about 1980 at a league cup semi, two Liverpool lads were stabbed. Give the scouser a kick in the balls and tell him he got off lightly.

Kayaking seems an odd pastime by the way.

deleted!
[Post edited 7 Dec 2017 13:19]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 19:11 - Dec 7 with 3012 viewsnorth_stand77

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 09:07 - Dec 7 by hype313

Also remember the old North Stand used to house both home and away fans which added extra spice to the atmosphere.

Now it makes a library sound like a Rave.

I remember a Chelsea supporter straying in to the Ipswich side of the North Stand during the game. I was a teenager at the time and was horrified to watch an Ipswich supporter get him on the ground and repeatedly smashed his head on the concrete steps.

Makes me cringe even now.

I think Chelsea were really struggling at the time and were almost bottom of div 1. Not the glamorous set up they have today!
Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 20:40 - Dec 7 with 2974 viewsstrikalite

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 08:31 - Dec 7 by GeoffSentence

Not unless you could fit 25,000 zombies into the churchmans.

"I told the press we had 25,000 zombies in the ground"

It is an odd one, we had both reputations, zombies and super noisy. Perhaps our fans were more hyped for Man Utd than Coventry.

This! :)

As a kid entering the Cobbold Stand with my Dad the difference between the big boys who would bring two sections and the smaller supported teams bringing a section or less was huge in terms of atmosphere...Leeds, Man U, Liverpool, the big London Clubs, Nodge, Newcastle(always my fav they were, incredible!), Villa, Sunderland, Forest, maybe Derby&Wolves would usually fill two sections of the North Stand(which was half the stand)and that generated a fantastic vocal atmosphere with Town having the other half obviously....I would walk in at 2.50pm and the noise would give me goosebumps I remember that, brilliant times in the early 80's.....but against the smaller Clubs it'd be like another ground altogether, we needed to the big Club for atmosphere no doubt about that..
Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 21:00 - Dec 7 with 2948 viewsLord_Lucan

Had a chat with a Liverpool supporter I go kayaking with in the Co-op today on 20:40 - Dec 7 by strikalite

This! :)

As a kid entering the Cobbold Stand with my Dad the difference between the big boys who would bring two sections and the smaller supported teams bringing a section or less was huge in terms of atmosphere...Leeds, Man U, Liverpool, the big London Clubs, Nodge, Newcastle(always my fav they were, incredible!), Villa, Sunderland, Forest, maybe Derby&Wolves would usually fill two sections of the North Stand(which was half the stand)and that generated a fantastic vocal atmosphere with Town having the other half obviously....I would walk in at 2.50pm and the noise would give me goosebumps I remember that, brilliant times in the early 80's.....but against the smaller Clubs it'd be like another ground altogether, we needed to the big Club for atmosphere no doubt about that..

Amazingly Norwich never ever had two sections. The middle was always empty until it was determined that Norwich wouldn't need it and then it was given to us.

"We took the middle" clap clap clap clap clap

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024