Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time 14:58 - Dec 7 with 5301 viewsNo9

- How many English managers / coaches & players?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42255985
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:10 - Dec 7 with 3993 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Alli, Kane, Winks, Rose, Trippier, Dier, Walker Peters, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Young, Lingard, Carrick, Sturridge, Milner, Gomez, Ox, Henderson, Solanke, Clyne, Alexander-Arnold, Flanagan, Ings, Drinkwater, Cahill, Moses (kind of), Stone, Sterling, Walker, Delph, Foden.

Not too bad on the players front.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:16 - Dec 7 with 3968 viewsNo9

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:10 - Dec 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Alli, Kane, Winks, Rose, Trippier, Dier, Walker Peters, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Young, Lingard, Carrick, Sturridge, Milner, Gomez, Ox, Henderson, Solanke, Clyne, Alexander-Arnold, Flanagan, Ings, Drinkwater, Cahill, Moses (kind of), Stone, Sterling, Walker, Delph, Foden.

Not one English manager / coach?

5 teams X 25 players per squad ?
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:19 - Dec 7 with 3964 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:16 - Dec 7 by No9

Not one English manager / coach?

5 teams X 25 players per squad ?

And why has that come as a surprise to you?

An English manager has never won the prem, and I cant think of many other that 'Arry who have reached the champs league recently.

I think English players are making it back into the top 5 teams compared to a few years ago.

There isnt an 'English' League. The Premier League is a world league that happens to be played in England.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:21 - Dec 7 with 3963 viewsNo9

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:19 - Dec 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

And why has that come as a surprise to you?

An English manager has never won the prem, and I cant think of many other that 'Arry who have reached the champs league recently.

I think English players are making it back into the top 5 teams compared to a few years ago.

There isnt an 'English' League. The Premier League is a world league that happens to be played in England.

I am just doisappointed that the English game will soon be the non English game
& that reflects on the parlous state of the national team and the small numnbers available
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:22 - Dec 7 with 3954 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:21 - Dec 7 by No9

& that reflects on the parlous state of the national team and the small numnbers available

I think the standard of the English players is at a turning point, and those coming through are more technically able.

What you are witnessing is nothing new, its been happening over the past 10-15 years.

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:26 - Dec 7 with 3944 viewscatch74

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:21 - Dec 7 by No9

I put this up the other day, not just foreign managers but a group of older English managers blocking the way?
Pardew and Allardyce by catch74 29 Nov 2017 21:07
I read this article a week or so ago, pretty sure not on here - apologies if it’s a repeat!
It came back to mind after today’s appointments. Interesting argument but who are the young British coaches prem clubs should be taking a risk with?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/sports/soccer/premier-league-sam-allardyce.html

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:34 - Dec 7 with 3930 viewshype313

Our U17's just won the world cup, I wouldn't worry about our league not having any English lads playing.

Foreigners have been playing in our top flight since the 1908/09 season, I'm sure Facters will remember him.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:34 - Dec 7 with 3931 viewsNo9

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:22 - Dec 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think the standard of the English players is at a turning point, and those coming through are more technically able.

What you are witnessing is nothing new, its been happening over the past 10-15 years.

Perhaps I was spoiled, I come from an era where European clubs came to the UK to poach top players
Now we have no players worth poaching.
I hope you are right in that the tide is turining but, given the numbers of promising youngsters in England shirt who never make it to the Snr team I am not so sure.
Login to get fewer ads

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:39 - Dec 7 with 3923 viewshype313

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:34 - Dec 7 by No9

Perhaps I was spoiled, I come from an era where European clubs came to the UK to poach top players
I hope you are right in that the tide is turining but, given the numbers of promising youngsters in England shirt who never make it to the Snr team I am not so sure.

Who? very few were poached, I can think of Butch Wilkins, Keegan and Linekar

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:41 - Dec 7 with 3919 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:34 - Dec 7 by No9

Really? How many players played abroad in the glory days? You could count them on one hand.

In the 1970's and 80's the top league was half full of players who would today be plying their trade in the Championship.

Less English players doesnt necessarily mean that the top 30 players today arent as good as the top 30 players 30 years ago.

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:41 - Dec 7 with 3917 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:39 - Dec 7 by hype313

Agreed, it was a handful of players.

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:45 - Dec 7 with 3914 viewsNo9

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:39 - Dec 7 by hype313

John Charles (OK he was Welsh)
Trevor Francis, David Platt, Steve McManaman, Beckham, Chris Waddle, Jimmy Greaves etc. etc. etc.
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time (n/t) on 15:47 - Dec 7 with 3915 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:45 - Dec 7 by No9

Trevor Francis, David Platt, Steve McManaman, Beckham, Chris Waddle, Jimmy Greaves etc. etc. etc.

6 players over 3 decades??

Crikey.

You missed out Danny Dicchio.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2017 15:48]

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:51 - Dec 7 with 3901 viewshype313

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:45 - Dec 7 by No9

That's 5 players over a 40 year period. Think you're exaggerating somewhat, also none of them were poached, McManaman took advantage of the Bosman rule, Beckham was surplus at United.

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:59 - Dec 7 with 3878 viewsbrazil1982

Foreign owners, players, coaches. Matches will be played overseas in the not so distant future. .
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:06 - Dec 7 with 3862 viewsNo9

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:59 - Dec 7 by brazil1982

Foreign owners, players, coaches. Matches will be played overseas in the not so distant future. .

It's going that way
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:07 - Dec 7 with 3858 viewsGlasgowBlue

You are Nigel Farage and I claim my fiver.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:18 - Dec 7 with 3848 viewsNo9

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:51 - Dec 7 by hype313

That's 5 players over a 40 year period. Think you're exaggerating somewhat, also none of them were poached, McManaman took advantage of the Bosman rule, Beckham was surplus at United.

&, once again you should do a little research
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:20 - Dec 7 with 3841 viewsbraveblue

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:10 - Dec 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

About 205 or probably no more than 10% of those who play. That is awful.
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:21 - Dec 7 with 3839 viewsbraveblue

Meant 20%!!
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:29 - Dec 7 with 3827 viewsPJH

Gerry Hitchens and Joe Baker in the early 1960's.

Gazza.
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:34 - Dec 7 with 3819 viewsNo9

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:29 - Dec 7 by PJH

Gerry Hitchens and Joe Baker in the early 1960's.

Gazza.

Not to mentoin the Scots who were playing in England
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:35 - Dec 7 with 3816 viewsNo9

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:34 - Dec 7 by hype313

Our U17's just won the world cup, I wouldn't worry about our league not having any English lads playing.

Foreigners have been playing in our top flight since the 1908/09 season, I'm sure Facters will remember him.

&, on the basis of past events how many (or few) of those will make it to the English Snr team?
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:37 - Dec 7 with 3814 viewsPJH

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 15:41 - Dec 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Really? How many players played abroad in the glory days? You could count them on one hand.

In the 1970's and 80's the top league was half full of players who would today be plying their trade in the Championship.

Less English players doesnt necessarily mean that the top 30 players today arent as good as the top 30 players 30 years ago.

In the 1970's and 80's the top league was also half full of players better than most that are there now(British one's anyway).

I think if I picked a combined English team from 30 or more years ago and now there would be very few in it from now.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2017 16:40]
5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:39 - Dec 7 with 3811 viewsPJH

5 English teams into the knock-out stages for the first time on 16:34 - Dec 7 by No9

Not to mentoin the Scots who were playing in England

Yes, Denis Law and Souness are two that spring to mind.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024