Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good people of TWTD 15:16 - Dec 10 with 51229 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm thinking of giving up alcohol for a year. Am I mad? Will life not be worth living? Anyone done similar?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Good people of TWTD on 21:36 - Dec 10 with 6850 viewsBlueBadger

Good people of TWTD on 20:56 - Dec 10 by jeera

I think he'll probably live longer than me.

It'll probably just FEEL longer.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Good people of TWTD on 21:42 - Dec 10 with 6836 viewsStokieBlue

Good people of TWTD on 18:35 - Dec 10 by BrixtonBlue

I've tried cutting back but always seem to slip back into old habits. I think I have a bit of a problem with it.

I use alcohol to get through stressful times... and I think if I set it up for a whole year I'd get better and more confident at dealing with the more stressful times because I'll be going through them without that crutch. THEN when I get a PROPER stressful time (like a parent dying) I'll be able to cope better. That's the theory. My dad's 81 and it terrifies me how I'll cope when he goes.

My other thought is that I want to write a book. The idea is to document how life is different without alcohol for a year (in a witty style rather than straight/self help). And then as I write and perform my comedy poems throughout the year, they'd be all in there too. It's like part real life documentary, part comedy poetry book.

That's the idea anyway. Feel free to chip in if you think it's a good /bad idea for a book anyone!
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 18:37]

If you had walked past a book in Waterstones last month and saw a new book which documented a random person who gave up alcohol for a year to see how life was different and then wrote about it interspersed with amateur comedic poetry would you have bought it?

SB
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 21:42]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Good people of TWTD on 21:56 - Dec 10 with 6806 viewshowdonblue

If your a season ticket holder you won’t manage it .

2 matches minimum and you’ll be back on the drink
Good people of TWTD on 22:10 - Dec 10 with 6792 viewsRyorry

Good people of TWTD on 21:27 - Dec 10 by The_Romford_Blue

Can I ask why you've never had a beer?

I don't know about Chrisswailes, but one of the most successful strategies for advising against binge drinking was (possibly unwittingly) put into effect by my parents who a) let me and my bro have some of their glasses of beer or wine at mealtimes, from around the age of 10-12 and b) Dad casually relating when I was about 14, that he got so blind drunk once he was horribly sick afterwards, to the point of not wanting to live anymore, & that he never again got seriously drunk! I never forgot that, it was a damn good deterrant!
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 22:11]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Good people of TWTD on 22:19 - Dec 10 with 6777 viewsSwailsey

Good people of TWTD on 22:10 - Dec 10 by Ryorry

I don't know about Chrisswailes, but one of the most successful strategies for advising against binge drinking was (possibly unwittingly) put into effect by my parents who a) let me and my bro have some of their glasses of beer or wine at mealtimes, from around the age of 10-12 and b) Dad casually relating when I was about 14, that he got so blind drunk once he was horribly sick afterwards, to the point of not wanting to live anymore, & that he never again got seriously drunk! I never forgot that, it was a damn good deterrant!
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 22:11]

Haha - I had expected some of those replies!!

Rest assured in my time I have enjoyed life in other ways, I’ve just never been interested in having a drink. When I was younger, it wasn’t particularly prevalent in my group of friends, and by the time I was older and began struggling with different things (100% not looking for pity by the way), I decided it was probably for the best that my mind was as clean and clear as it could be.

I do love a mulled wine though - but that’s it.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Good people of TWTD on 22:47 - Dec 10 with 6745 viewsbluejake78

I've been an on and off heavy drinker for years.I'm not proud but I have had a few run ins with plod...always whilst under the influence.
I haven't had alcohol since October and haven't missed it. I've also gone teetotal for over 12 months at a time.
Trouble is I actually like the taste of beer,wine and a good malt.
A good positive is taking my dog out for a walk at 1st light without a hint of a hangover.
Something I want to carry forward into the new year.
Good people of TWTD on 22:53 - Dec 10 with 6733 viewsfactual_blue

Good people of TWTD on 19:05 - Dec 10 by RoyKeanesDog

If you listen carefully you can hear hundreds of publishers banging down his door.

To batter him to death rather than have to run the risk of reading that book?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Good people of TWTD on 23:19 - Dec 10 with 6712 viewsBlueBadger

Good people of TWTD on 21:42 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

If you had walked past a book in Waterstones last month and saw a new book which documented a random person who gave up alcohol for a year to see how life was different and then wrote about it interspersed with amateur comedic poetry would you have bought it?

SB

Substitute 'alcohol' for 'drugs' and you've basically just described Russell Brand's 'My Booky Wook'. So.......

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

Good people of TWTD on 23:23 - Dec 10 with 6698 viewscatch74

I reckon you’re better changing for life - eg a day a week, week a month and month a year off.
I haven’t read whole thread so apologies if I’m repeating anything. I always have a month or so off each year, I lose weight, sleep better and I’m more productive.
I love a drink or two though and always feel I’ll carry on enjoying myself and not give up things I love.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Good people of TWTD on 00:49 - Dec 11 with 6666 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Good people of TWTD on 20:44 - Dec 10 by BackToRussia

Haha right no one has ever done anything creative with a pot habit.

You’re deluded
Good people of TWTD on 00:57 - Dec 11 with 6664 viewsBrixtonBlue

Good people of TWTD on 21:42 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

SB

Maybe, if I flicked through and liked the poems.

There are lots of "random" people that have published poetry books, and several who gave up alcohol.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Good people of TWTD on 08:16 - Dec 11 with 6598 viewsLord_Lucan

Good people of TWTD on 20:44 - Dec 10 by BackToRussia

Haha right no one has ever done anything creative with a pot habit.

When Paul McCartney stopped smoking pot he came up with this classic.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good people of TWTD on 08:23 - Dec 11 with 6593 viewsJohnny_Boy

Some annoying friend of mine was giving up alcohol for a dry month - AND SHE EXPECTED HER OWN FRIENDS TO SPONSOR HER! Like, give her money. Even though she'll be saving her own money by not drinking.

It's all a bit odd.
Good people of TWTD on 08:28 - Dec 11 with 6583 viewsGlasgowBlue

I have up for three years after I turned 50. Didn’t even give it a minutes thought during that period but had a drink last Christmas and got back into it, although not on a school night.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Good people of TWTD on 08:28 - Dec 11 with 6580 viewsLord_Lucan

Good people of TWTD on 08:23 - Dec 11 by Johnny_Boy

Some annoying friend of mine was giving up alcohol for a dry month - AND SHE EXPECTED HER OWN FRIENDS TO SPONSOR HER! Like, give her money. Even though she'll be saving her own money by not drinking.

It's all a bit odd.

I gave up for a month last year and found it unusually easy.

What you miss most is the atmosphere and chit chat of the pub.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good people of TWTD on 08:34 - Dec 11 with 6562 viewsStokieBlue

Good people of TWTD on 08:28 - Dec 11 by GlasgowBlue

I have up for three years after I turned 50. Didn’t even give it a minutes thought during that period but had a drink last Christmas and got back into it, although not on a school night.

I know I would really miss wine, especially with my food as it does increase the eating experience (at least for me it does).

I also love ales so would miss that although I've never liked spirits which is where I fear a lot of the problems are encountered.

Luckily I'm not planning on giving up either of the first two anytime soon although I did do a dry January once.

SB

Good people of TWTD on 08:37 - Dec 11 with 6553 viewsBlueBadger

Good people of TWTD on 00:57 - Dec 11 by BrixtonBlue

Maybe, if I flicked through and liked the poems.

There are lots of "random" people that have published poetry books, and several who gave up alcohol.

See, Stokie?

Good people of TWTD on 08:46 - Dec 11 with 6554 viewsJohnny_Boy

Good people of TWTD on 08:28 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

I gave up for a month last year and found it unusually easy.

What you miss most is the atmosphere and chit chat of the pub.

The most important thing about giving up alcohol - is to not tell anyone about it.

Go to the pub as usual. Get a round in. Get yourself a non alcoholic beer, ask the tender if they'd possibly pour it for you behind the counter - or if you tend to drink spirits, just get soda + lime.

Nobody will be any wiser. Nobody will inflict peer-pressure on you to do the infuriating "C'mon, one won't hurt" thing on you.

People coming round yours? Tell them to bring their own booze. You stock up on the Becks blue 0% alcohol stuff. Put all the bottles in water. Peel the labels off. Stock up your fridge. Nobody is ever the wiser as you pop open your 3rd bottle from the fridge.

Yes, there's a lot of flaffing about involved hiding your abstinence, but it's much easier to deal with compared to the bullying peer pressure to sink 4 regular pints.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2017 12:38]
Good people of TWTD on 08:51 - Dec 11 with 6545 viewsblue_oyster

The hardest thing you will find is the peer pressure. Most drinkers don't like alcohol that much, and only do it to fit in.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2017 9:00]

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

[Redacted] on 09:00 - Dec 11 with 6529 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Good people of TWTD on 09:01 - Dec 11 with 6520 viewsStokieBlue

Good people of TWTD on 08:46 - Dec 11 by Johnny_Boy

The most important thing about giving up alcohol - is to not tell anyone about it.

Go to the pub as usual. Get a round in. Get yourself a non alcoholic beer, ask the tender if they'd possibly pour it for you behind the counter - or if you tend to drink spirits, just get soda + lime.

Nobody will be any wiser. Nobody will inflict peer-pressure on you to do the infuriating "C'mon, one won't hurt" thing on you.

People coming round yours? Tell them to bring their own booze. You stock up on the Becks blue 0% alcohol stuff. Put all the bottles in water. Peel the labels off. Stock up your fridge. Nobody is ever the wiser as you pop open your 3rd bottle from the fridge.

Yes, there's a lot of flaffing about involved hiding your abstinence, but it's much easier to deal with compared to the bullying peer pressure to sink 4 regular pints.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2017 12:38]

To be fair, Bitburger Drive is actually rather good now.

SB

[Redacted] on 09:07 - Dec 11 with 6506 viewsvictorywilhappen

Good people of TWTD on 08:51 - Dec 11 by blue_oyster

The hardest thing you will find is the peer pressure. Most drinkers don't like alcohol that much, and only do it to fit in.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2017 9:00]

[Redacted]
Good people of TWTD on 09:10 - Dec 11 with 6491 viewshype313

Since I've had a couple of kids in the past 3 years my alcohol consumption has decreased hugely, so much so I honestly can't remember the last alcoholic drink I had.

Also by my mid 30's my hangovers were awful, even to the point where I might have a couple of pints and feel dreadful, so for me not drinking isn't an issue.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Good people of TWTD on 09:19 - Dec 11 with 6476 viewsHerbivore

Good people of TWTD on 09:10 - Dec 11 by hype313

Since I've had a couple of kids in the past 3 years my alcohol consumption has decreased hugely, so much so I honestly can't remember the last alcoholic drink I had.

Also by my mid 30's my hangovers were awful, even to the point where I might have a couple of pints and feel dreadful, so for me not drinking isn't an issue.

I've discovered that if you're committed enough you can drink through that phase in your 30s where the hangovers become terrible.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good people of TWTD on 09:28 - Dec 11 with 6463 viewsitfcjoe

I wish I could control myself more to just have a few without going OTT.

I've stopped drinking 3 times, once for 8 weeks when my liver function was up and I had to have tests - that was easy despite being over Xmas and going to Bruges for a 30th (Couples trip....) as knew I couldn't so just didn't and no real pressure to.

And a couple of other times after really heavy nights out where I've had big black outs and subsequent panics about what I've done I knocked it on the head for 3-4 months and have ended up missing it as it just becomes awkward to keep explaining it and the only person that really supports me with it is my wife and most of the time if I'm out and boozing it won't be with her.

One of my big problems is I have a corporate ST with my Dad, who is a big drinker (too big, but that's another matter) and he gets frustrated if I'm not and I feel as though I'm ruining his day a lot of the time - and in reality football is the only time I really drink now bar events. With my work there are lots of events too around this time of the year when I need to.

Main thing is, I really like a nice beer, loft my craft beers - but need to set myself a limit - and stick to it - of 4-5 pints as opposed to 2 or 3x that, then on the shorts then getting in late and having no idea what has happened in the night and then anxiety on Monday morning etc.

I'd argue learning to control it whilst still drinking is the best thing anyone can do - but that is not the easiest I've found.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024