Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good people of TWTD 15:16 - Dec 10 with 50949 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm thinking of giving up alcohol for a year. Am I mad? Will life not be worth living? Anyone done similar?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Good people of TWTD on 15:19 - Dec 10 with 13955 viewsWD19

I now drink so little as to be practically teetotal. Don't miss it a bit.

Main challenge will be finding something to drink socially as when everyone else is on a session half a dozen pints of lime and lemonade can get a bit tedious.
Good people of TWTD on 15:29 - Dec 10 with 13938 viewsfactual_blue

I hardly ever drink these days. I was out for lunch with a group of friends on Friday, some of whom were drinking. I was driving, so didn't, even though the divine Mrs Factual said she was quite happy to drive home so I could have a drink.

It shouldn't be the end of the world.

You are, however, quite mad - but that's a separate issue.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Good people of TWTD on 15:33 - Dec 10 with 13919 viewsNewcyBlue

I haven’t had a drink since September 2015.

Although I was very close to drinking a few weeks ago...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Good people of TWTD on 15:45 - Dec 10 with 13888 viewsbrogansnose

I gave up drinking for January a couple of years ago. At first it was quite difficult because of the social aspect ans also because I do like a nice wine with food at the weekend. Anyway, I ended up not drinking until just before Easter and I only really started because I seem to recall a London away day fixture. I felt better for it and lost some weight and most definately saved a shed load of money.

Nowadays I don't drink during the week and only on a Friday night and Saturday and then in moderation. It also helps because I'm not that sociable either. Having said that, I went to Manchester the other week and got on it a bit with mates in Piccadilly but that was the exception to the rule. If I had any advice then I wouldn't aim to give up for a whole year but just to give it a month at a time.

Good luck.
Good people of TWTD on 15:48 - Dec 10 with 13885 viewsBlueBadger

Good people of TWTD on 15:29 - Dec 10 by factual_blue

I hardly ever drink these days. I was out for lunch with a group of friends on Friday, some of whom were drinking. I was driving, so didn't, even though the divine Mrs Factual said she was quite happy to drive home so I could have a drink.

It shouldn't be the end of the world.

You are, however, quite mad - but that's a separate issue.

at your age though, giving up drinking's practically a life saver. You get p1ssed and fall over at your time of life and it's broken hip time.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Good people of TWTD on 15:51 - Dec 10 with 13865 viewsHerbivore

I love drinking.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good people of TWTD on 15:52 - Dec 10 with 13862 viewsSwansea_Blue

You'll survive. And probably longer than you would have done on the booze.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Good people of TWTD on 16:00 - Dec 10 with 13858 viewsJ2BLUE

Is it necessary to give up for a year? It's so absolute. Could you not cut back to having 3-4 drinks a week or give yourself 12 passes over the year? What happens next time there is a big anniversary or a wedding? Or anything else to celebrate where there could be a toast etc?

From what I remember you saying about your job, there are plenty of events where drinking is part of it. What happens in January when one of these events comes up? Will you be thinking oh god another 11.5 months of this?

I couldn't care less if I couldn't drink ever again but if you enjoy a drink why not take a more moderate approach? All sorts of ways to cut back without the rigid confines of an entire year teetotal.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Good people of TWTD on 16:03 - Dec 10 with 13826 viewsNewcyBlue

Good people of TWTD on 16:00 - Dec 10 by J2BLUE

Is it necessary to give up for a year? It's so absolute. Could you not cut back to having 3-4 drinks a week or give yourself 12 passes over the year? What happens next time there is a big anniversary or a wedding? Or anything else to celebrate where there could be a toast etc?

From what I remember you saying about your job, there are plenty of events where drinking is part of it. What happens in January when one of these events comes up? Will you be thinking oh god another 11.5 months of this?

I couldn't care less if I couldn't drink ever again but if you enjoy a drink why not take a more moderate approach? All sorts of ways to cut back without the rigid confines of an entire year teetotal.

Haribo Vodka?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Good people of TWTD on 16:11 - Dec 10 with 13784 viewsWD19

Good people of TWTD on 16:03 - Dec 10 by NewcyBlue

Haribo Vodka?

Don't go there...

Good people of TWTD on 16:22 - Dec 10 with 13753 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Depends on your reasons really.

The only reason I can think somebody could have to give up for a year is to focus on a full on business year. My mate launched his own app and did this.

Poll: Best Football Song

Good people of TWTD on 16:41 - Dec 10 with 13717 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

This.

I don't drink in the week but when my mates are back from uni (as most of them are from next weekend), I'll drink a lot more.

Cutting it out completely doesn't seem necessary Dollers. Just cut back.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Good people of TWTD on 16:57 - Dec 10 with 13669 viewsfabian_illness

I pretty much tee total, but never been a big drinker even as a youngster.
I don’t miss it and don’t need it.
But if you like a drink and can do it in moderation without getting out of shape, then why not.
Good people of TWTD on 17:03 - Dec 10 with 13651 viewsjontysnut

Good people of TWTD on 16:41 - Dec 10 by The_Romford_Blue

This.

I don't drink in the week but when my mates are back from uni (as most of them are from next weekend), I'll drink a lot more.

Cutting it out completely doesn't seem necessary Dollers. Just cut back.

Why not aim for a number of free days a week and drink sensibly when you do. Quality over quantity. I think I drink lees than I did when I was younger but spread it around and enjoy it when I do.
Good people of TWTD on 17:23 - Dec 10 with 13609 viewsfactual_blue

Good people of TWTD on 15:48 - Dec 10 by BlueBadger

at your age though, giving up drinking's practically a life saver. You get p1ssed and fall over at your time of life and it's broken hip time.

Phil - please add 'ageist' to the second bullet point in your terms and conditions. Between 'racist' and 'homophobic' would be good.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/page/terms-and-conditions

Many thanks.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Good people of TWTD on 17:38 - Dec 10 with 13582 viewspistonbroke

Good people of TWTD on 15:48 - Dec 10 by BlueBadger

Worse than a broken hip , last January had a shandy or two at the local , slipped and fell down the stairs , was really lucky my neck survived , however suffered a hairline crack in my skull which seeped blood through and the X-ray results showed blood on my brain , the staff at Broomfield hospital were brilliant , they sent my X-rays to Romford hospital as it was a head injury and they were in touch with them constantly with my one hour observation results , thankfully it was not bleeding on the brain but where my skull fractured the blood seeped through the crack , but what I really trying to say is be careful it’s easilly done , also I can not praise the nhs and the nurses at Broomfield enough for the care and attention they showed for the two days I was hospitilliased
Good people of TWTD on 18:04 - Dec 10 with 13515 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Can I ask why. What’s your motivation?
Good people of TWTD on 18:07 - Dec 10 with 13496 viewsjeera

Yeah, sod that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Good people of TWTD on 18:12 - Dec 10 with 13491 viewsParisBlue

I worked in Saudi for a while so it was enforced. It was the lack of variety of drinks which was more difficult than the alcohol itself.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Good people of TWTD on 18:17 - Dec 10 with 13480 viewsgiant_stow

Good people of TWTD on 17:23 - Dec 10 by factual_blue

Phil - please add 'ageist' to the second bullet point in your terms and conditions. Between 'racist' and 'homophobic' would be good.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/page/terms-and-conditions

Many thanks.

Not many old boys know how to paste a link here - really impressive that you can! Well done!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Good people of TWTD on 18:20 - Dec 10 with 13462 viewsjeera

Good people of TWTD on 18:17 - Dec 10 by giant_stow

Not many old boys know how to paste a link here - really impressive that you can! Well done!

Ha.

I don't know what Facters is bothered about, (if he even is), as we all know he's not even really that old.

It's just a standing joke.

A bit like you with your family, too many fingers, 'supporting' a dreadful club playing in disgusting colours...

It's not personal.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 18:37]

Good people of TWTD on 18:24 - Dec 10 with 13453 viewsgiant_stow

Good people of TWTD on 18:20 - Dec 10 by jeera

Ha.

I don't know what Facters is bothered about, (if he even is), as we all know he's not even really that old.

It's just a standing joke.

A bit like you with your family, too many fingers, 'supporting' a dreadful club playing in disgusting colours...

It's not personal.

I'm not sure whether the old fart is upset or.not - might be the old double blufferoo

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Good people of TWTD on 18:27 - Dec 10 with 13432 viewsjeera

Good people of TWTD on 18:24 - Dec 10 by giant_stow

I'm not sure whether the old fart is upset or.not - might be the old double blufferoo

Well exactly.

...and your stand burning and your recent fall from grace and your present demise and, looking forwards, little hope...despite everything.

So little hope.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 18:28]

Good people of TWTD on 18:35 - Dec 10 with 13424 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've tried cutting back but always seem to slip back into old habits. I think I have a bit of a problem with it.

I use alcohol to get through stressful times... and I think if I set it up for a whole year I'd get better and more confident at dealing with the more stressful times because I'll be going through them without that crutch. THEN when I get a PROPER stressful time (like a parent dying) I'll be able to cope better. That's the theory. My dad's 81 and it terrifies me how I'll cope when he goes.

My other thought is that I want to write a book. The idea is to document how life is different without alcohol for a year (in a witty style rather than straight/self help). And then as I write and perform my comedy poems throughout the year, they'd be all in there too. It's like part real life documentary, part comedy poetry book.

That's the idea anyway. Feel free to chip in if you think it's a good /bad idea for a book anyone!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Good people of TWTD on 18:37 - Dec 10 with 13418 viewsRyorry

I had to give up alcohol (and a lot of other drink and food) when I became allergic to them all in the shape of a bleeding gut, age 39-40. Last alcoholic drink I had was a glass of wine NYE 1991/2.

When you know you *can't* have it, it's easier to deal with - it's off your radar. Also, people nowadays are much more understanding of those asking for sparkling water, or whatever.
And it's not a nice thing, but I also find it easier when I remember that many people the world over don't even have clean water to drink, or enough food. Always someone worse off etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024