Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blue Planet 2 - OMG 21:24 - Dec 10 with 3045 viewsRyorry

"Never before have we had such an awareness of what we are doing to the planet and never before have we had the power to do something about that. The future of all life on Earth now depends on us. Surely we have a responsibility to care for our blue planet" - Sir David Attenborough

[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 21:29]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 21:27 - Dec 10 with 3023 viewsSteve_M

Yes, basically: Stop fecking up the planet you dickheads.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 21:35 - Dec 10 with 3003 viewsStokieBlue

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 21:27 - Dec 10 by Steve_M

Trouble is, I believe we all think it but then it interferes with our lives and we compartmentalise the knowledge that we aren't helping somewhere in our mind where we don't have the deal with it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 21:37 - Dec 10 with 2997 viewsStokieBlue

A truly amazing show but a few episodes back they flew all the way out to French Polynesia, missed the breeding event so flew everyone home again and then flew them all back out again the following year so everyone could see the Grouper spawning on their TV's. That's 100 hours of flying (at the very least) for however many people went from the UK plus all the equipment so we can see the environment we are destroying on TV.

I agree wholeheartedly with the message but things are never quite black and white.

SB
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 21:38]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 21:50 - Dec 10 with 2950 viewsRyorry

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 21:37 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

A truly amazing show but a few episodes back they flew all the way out to French Polynesia, missed the breeding event so flew everyone home again and then flew them all back out again the following year so everyone could see the Grouper spawning on their TV's. That's 100 hours of flying (at the very least) for however many people went from the UK plus all the equipment so we can see the environment we are destroying on TV.

I agree wholeheartedly with the message but things are never quite black and white.

SB

Fair point, but I imagine they considered it for the greater good. If enough people threaten the big supermarkets with stopping buying certain products unless they change the packaging from plastic to something more eco friendly, eg. The mountains of biscuits, snacks, even fresh veg etc. that come in plastic trays is ridiculous!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 22:32 - Dec 10 with 2888 viewsfactual_blue

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 21:27 - Dec 10 by Steve_M

I think the message is 'stop fecking up the planet you dickheads; you're making Sir David Attenborough want to cry.'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 06:06 - Dec 11 with 2791 viewsbrogansnose

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 21:50 - Dec 10 by Ryorry

Fair point, but I imagine they considered it for the greater good. If enough people threaten the big supermarkets with stopping buying certain products unless they change the packaging from plastic to something more eco friendly, eg. The mountains of biscuits, snacks, even fresh veg etc. that come in plastic trays is ridiculous!

The bit where the Sperm Whale had the piece of hard plastic in its mouth was very hard hitting to me, and yes R, the amount of plastic used in presenting goods is uneccessary and could be changed by government and consumer pressure.
Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 07:32 - Dec 11 with 2744 viewsEireannach_gorm

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 22:32 - Dec 10 by factual_blue

I think the message is 'stop fecking up the planet you dickheads; you're making Sir David Attenborough want to cry.'

Not just David, even remote jungle dwellers have got the message.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/sep/27/kogi-warn-the-west
Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 08:26 - Dec 11 with 2686 viewsGlasgowBlue

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 06:06 - Dec 11 by brogansnose

The bit where the Sperm Whale had the piece of hard plastic in its mouth was very hard hitting to me, and yes R, the amount of plastic used in presenting goods is uneccessary and could be changed by government and consumer pressure.

Sky News have been running the Ocean Rescue campaign for a year now. Thus video hits home really hard.

https://news.sky.com/feature/sky-ocean-rescue-a-plastic-whale-10917187

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 19:18 - Oct 5 with 1551 viewsJ2BLUE

I've wanted to watch this amazing series again for the last month or so but it hasn't been available. It's finally back on demand on iplayer if anyone else wants to watch it again.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 19:30 - Oct 5 with 1520 viewsSteve_M

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 19:18 - Oct 5 by J2BLUE

I've wanted to watch this amazing series again for the last month or so but it hasn't been available. It's finally back on demand on iplayer if anyone else wants to watch it again.

I rewatched a load of them when I got a much better tv, it was even more incredible then.

I notice Africa is back on iPlayer too, not quite as incredible as Blue Planet but still worth rewatching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p010jc6p

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 19:31 - Oct 5 with 1520 viewsSwansea_Blue

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 21:37 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

SB

A price (literally and in term of environmental impact) well worth paying given the impact the programme has on public awareness. Plastic has been flagged as a problem for years. Academics have been struggling to get funding on it for years. But the government didn't care because the voters didn't care. Now they do and we're starting to see policies and funding flowing.

We'll always have an impact, it's how we make best use of our impact that's important.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Blue Planet 2 - OMG on 19:42 - Oct 5 with 1494 viewsSamuelowen88

You should also watch drowning in plastic a devastating but very important t documentary on the scourge of plastic in the ocean. If everyone does a little it will help.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bmbn47

Poll: England v Wales Score

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024