Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! 15:41 - Dec 11 with 17060 viewsSpruceMoose

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/dec/10/romesh-ranganathan-christma

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 21:28 - Dec 11 with 5137 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 19:14 - Dec 11 by StokieBlue

Do you write your own posts?

Only asking because you seem to forget the content and the stances. I didn't try and start a row with anyone in this thread - you did that all by yourself.

SB
[Post edited 11 Dec 2017 19:16]

You tried to start the row with the whole "morally superior" bit and then the laughable "I didn't name names". When ANYONE thinks of TWTD and Veganism they think of Callis, and you know it. Everyone reading this thread knows it.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 22:16 - Dec 11 with 5103 viewsmonytowbray

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 21:28 - Dec 11 by BrixtonBlue

You tried to start the row with the whole "morally superior" bit and then the laughable "I didn't name names". When ANYONE thinks of TWTD and Veganism they think of Callis, and you know it. Everyone reading this thread knows it.

I'm not fussed Dolly mate, you shouldn't be either. It's funny as since I've returned here I've made a point of avoiding rows by playing them down or not getting dragged down to the same level as certain posters. They don't like it when I don't run after the bone and end up showing themselves up. It's made my life on here less stressful and doesn't give them a "BUT CALLIS SAID" shield to hide behind and rally troops in for.

Libby did similar and it worked out quite amusing. Figured I'd get on the bandwagon and see what the fuss is about!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 22:17 - Dec 11 with 5103 viewsmonytowbray

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 20:35 - Dec 11 by eireblue

https://vegusto.co.uk/collections/vegan-cheese/products/vegan-cheese-alternative

https://vegusto.co.uk/collections/vegan-cheese/products/vegan-cheese-alternative

Worth a try if you haven't already.

Mind you, I can't remember what melty cheese is like.

Had neither, will have to order after Xmas.

TWTD never forgets…

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 22:18 - Dec 11 with 5099 viewsmonytowbray

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 20:14 - Dec 11 by Ryorry

Have you never tried Cheezly? I doubt I could tell the difference between the White Cheddar style and the real thing. The Blue-style is also luscious (have never tried the Red Cheddar-style).

I've been eating and loving it for donkeys years.

https://www.vegansociety.com/whats-new/blog/best-vegan-cheeses-rated
[Post edited 11 Dec 2017 20:15]

Seen this in H&B but never had it, am I right from the branding it's the same company who do the "Cheatin" fake meats?

I'm still swearing by Violife right now.

TWTD never forgets…

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 22:42 - Dec 11 with 5085 viewsRyorry

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 22:18 - Dec 11 by monytowbray

Seen this in H&B but never had it, am I right from the branding it's the same company who do the "Cheatin" fake meats?

I'm still swearing by Violife right now.

Used to be Redwood, who were very good. V-bites then took over a few (3?) years or so ago, and yes, they're the same company who produce 'Maple style rashers' - which I agree aren't great, but don't let that put you off - Cheezly really is fantastic, and with that available, I haven't missed 'proper' cheese at all - would otherwise have been the most missed food for me. There's no other dairy-free version which comes even close as far as I'm concerned. They also do a version for melting, but I haven't tried that.

I think V-bites' quality is slightly lower (they've swapped the sunflower oil that used to be in all the Redwood products with rapeseed, which is cheaper) - but another of their chilled products that I love & which is a staple for me are the Felafels - http://www.vbitesfoods.com/product/falafel-250g/

Just stick em in pre-heated oven on max for 10 mins, turning once. Job's a good un!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 23:26 - Dec 11 with 5057 viewsjeera

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 19:30 - Dec 11 by GeoffSentence

Quorn isn't vegan? Blimey, you learn something new every day.

The best thing about quorn is you can decide how many sausage rolls you get in a pack - by cutting them to size:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42251481

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 00:48 - Dec 12 with 5037 viewseireblue

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 22:42 - Dec 11 by Ryorry

Used to be Redwood, who were very good. V-bites then took over a few (3?) years or so ago, and yes, they're the same company who produce 'Maple style rashers' - which I agree aren't great, but don't let that put you off - Cheezly really is fantastic, and with that available, I haven't missed 'proper' cheese at all - would otherwise have been the most missed food for me. There's no other dairy-free version which comes even close as far as I'm concerned. They also do a version for melting, but I haven't tried that.

I think V-bites' quality is slightly lower (they've swapped the sunflower oil that used to be in all the Redwood products with rapeseed, which is cheaper) - but another of their chilled products that I love & which is a staple for me are the Felafels - http://www.vbitesfoods.com/product/falafel-250g/

Just stick em in pre-heated oven on max for 10 mins, turning once. Job's a good un!

VBites is now owned by Heather Mills, just need Nancy Shevell to create a Vegan food project now.
Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 09:47 - Dec 12 with 4983 viewsStokieBlue

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 21:28 - Dec 11 by BrixtonBlue

No I didn't, I pointed out that one section of the article which was tongue-in-cheek had been used on here in complete seriousness. I wasn't starting a row otherwise I would have been very specific. Callis then came on and took issue with a factual statement.

This bit was the most annoying even it if it likely tongue-in-cheek:

"That’s why it is essential to make it clear what food is vegan, and therefore yours and off-limits to your moral inferiors."

Although the last bit of that sentence has been bandied about on here fairly often.

How is that starting a row? The last sentence is entirely correct.

SB
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 11:11]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 10:47 - Dec 12 with 4959 viewsgordon

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 09:47 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

No I didn't, I pointed out that one section of the article which was tongue-in-cheek had been used on here in complete seriousness. I wasn't starting a row otherwise I would have been very specific. Callis then came on and took issue with a factual statement.

This bit was the most annoying even it if it likely tongue-in-cheek:

"That’s why it is essential to make it clear what food is vegan, and therefore yours and off-limits to your moral inferiors."

Although the last bit of that sentence has been bandied about on here fairly often.

How is that starting a row? The last sentence is entirely correct.

SB
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 11:11]

You're the only person who's 'off on one' in this thread surely? The rest are having an amicable discussion about vegan cheese.
Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 11:01 - Dec 12 with 4950 viewsStokieBlue

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 10:47 - Dec 12 by gordon

You're the only person who's 'off on one' in this thread surely? The rest are having an amicable discussion about vegan cheese.

Fair point, however I made one post initial which was the one above and then got attacked on the morality of my lifestyle. The vegan cheese debate was afterwards.

I don't see why that initial post should have started any argument at all. I agree I shouldn't have bitten and shouldn't have continued.

I left the thread yesterday once I accepted that until Dollers waded in today. I still don't see how my initial post was argument inducing but I seem to be in the minority there so I will cease and desist.

SB
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 11:04]

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 12:34 - Dec 12 with 4913 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 22:16 - Dec 11 by monytowbray

I'm not fussed Dolly mate, you shouldn't be either. It's funny as since I've returned here I've made a point of avoiding rows by playing them down or not getting dragged down to the same level as certain posters. They don't like it when I don't run after the bone and end up showing themselves up. It's made my life on here less stressful and doesn't give them a "BUT CALLIS SAID" shield to hide behind and rally troops in for.

Libby did similar and it worked out quite amusing. Figured I'd get on the bandwagon and see what the fuss is about!

I'm not fussed, just saying what I see.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 12:36 - Dec 12 with 4908 viewsGunnsAirkick

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 18:42 - Dec 11 by monytowbray

Various types of butter; olive, soy, coconut.

Fakon can be made various ways too. The Cheatin’ stuff in H&B is soy I believe. My preferred method is firm tofu sliced thin and fried till crispy in paprika, salt and liquid smoke.

Tempah is considered a bacon replacement too but I had it once and wasn’t a fan.

Me and my wife are trying to eat less meat, in the new year we're going to buy all of our meat from the butchers rather than supermarket as it is all true free range stuff. We're trying to make it more of a once or twice a week thing rather than four or five (which is really not good for you anyway).

I couldn't become vegan, I just like dairy too much but I have to say some of the vegetarian and vegan stuff I've had recently has been decent (burgers and fake chicken have been especially good). Facon I have yet to find a decent one though, the Sainsbury's one I had resembled bacon and was even crispy like bacon but had a slightly odd aftertaste to it, I'll give this Cheatin' stuff a go before I add it to the 'wrong' list.
Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 12:40 - Dec 12 with 4904 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 11:01 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

Fair point, however I made one post initial which was the one above and then got attacked on the morality of my lifestyle. The vegan cheese debate was afterwards.

I don't see why that initial post should have started any argument at all. I agree I shouldn't have bitten and shouldn't have continued.

I left the thread yesterday once I accepted that until Dollers waded in today. I still don't see how my initial post was argument inducing but I seem to be in the minority there so I will cease and desist.

SB
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 11:04]

My so-called "wading in" was yesterday as well. I haven't been near the thread today until now.

I pointed it out because you do the same to me. Have a few little sly pops, get a slightly heated debate going and then accuse the other person of starting a row. Well done to Callis for rising above it.

I don't actually think you do it on purpose, you just have difficulty with people responding to your comments. I could be wrong though.

This was a perfectly amicable thread until you started calling out "unnamed people on TWTD" for acting superior over Veganism. Everyone knew who you meant.

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:31 - Dec 12 with 4884 viewsStokieBlue

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 12:40 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

My so-called "wading in" was yesterday as well. I haven't been near the thread today until now.

I pointed it out because you do the same to me. Have a few little sly pops, get a slightly heated debate going and then accuse the other person of starting a row. Well done to Callis for rising above it.

I don't actually think you do it on purpose, you just have difficulty with people responding to your comments. I could be wrong though.

This was a perfectly amicable thread until you started calling out "unnamed people on TWTD" for acting superior over Veganism. Everyone knew who you meant.

Not sure what you mean by amicable before my post, it was the 5th post in the thread and didn't call anyone out. It was an observation on how a tongue-in-cheek remark in an article has and is used in real life as an actual point. I still don't see an issue with it.

"Although the last bit of that sentence has been bandied about on here fairly often."

That is really not "calling out unnamed people on TWTD", it's a fair observation.

It's getting to the point where nothing can be said on here without allegedly having a dig at someone or offending someone else.

SB

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:33 - Dec 12 with 4881 viewsmonytowbray

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 12:40 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

It's almost like me saying "You know, that bloke who works in advertising and sells Haribo on here" and then taking the moral high ground by saying I didn't specifically name you.

It's ironic how some posters here who insist I'm an attention seeking, baiting, rude, condescending and argumentative person react when they are starved of the reaction that pushes said agenda.

Ignore him. It's annoying him enough to down arrow posts which says it all. This thread is quite enjoyable when you strip his posts out of it.

Can we get back to talking about vegan cheese and christmas dinner now please?!

TWTD never forgets…

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:34 - Dec 12 with 4879 viewsmonytowbray

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:31 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

Not sure what you mean by amicable before my post, it was the 5th post in the thread and didn't call anyone out. It was an observation on how a tongue-in-cheek remark in an article has and is used in real life as an actual point. I still don't see an issue with it.

"Although the last bit of that sentence has been bandied about on here fairly often."

That is really not "calling out unnamed people on TWTD", it's a fair observation.

It's getting to the point where nothing can be said on here without allegedly having a dig at someone or offending someone else.

SB

The answer is to not have digs at people. It's a pretty simple give and take scenario.

TWTD never forgets…

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:40 - Dec 12 with 4871 viewsStokieBlue

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:34 - Dec 12 by monytowbray

The answer is to not have digs at people. It's a pretty simple give and take scenario.

You were looking to be offended.

Pointing out that a tongue-in-cheek point a vegan journalist makes is used as a serious argument on here is not having a dig. You did however use it to question the morality of my lifestyle so doesn't that confirm my original point?

Clearly we won't agree so I am going to leave it there. Enjoy the cheese.

SB
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 13:41]

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:42 - Dec 12 with 4865 viewsmonytowbray

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:40 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

You were looking to be offended.

Pointing out that a tongue-in-cheek point a vegan journalist makes is used as a serious argument on here is not having a dig. You did however use it to question the morality of my lifestyle so doesn't that confirm my original point?

Clearly we won't agree so I am going to leave it there. Enjoy the cheese.

SB
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 13:41]

[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 13:42]

TWTD never forgets…

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:49 - Dec 12 with 4850 viewsSpruceMoose

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 12:34 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

I'm not fussed, just saying what I see.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:50 - Dec 12 with 4841 viewsSpruceMoose

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:33 - Dec 12 by monytowbray

It's almost like me saying "You know, that bloke who works in advertising and sells Haribo on here" and then taking the moral high ground by saying I didn't specifically name you.

It's ironic how some posters here who insist I'm an attention seeking, baiting, rude, condescending and argumentative person react when they are starved of the reaction that pushes said agenda.

Ignore him. It's annoying him enough to down arrow posts which says it all. This thread is quite enjoyable when you strip his posts out of it.

Can we get back to talking about vegan cheese and christmas dinner now please?!

You lot have well and truly ruined my thread. Thanks a lot!

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:57 - Dec 12 with 4833 viewsRyorry

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 00:48 - Dec 12 by eireblue

VBites is now owned by Heather Mills, just need Nancy Shevell to create a Vegan food project now.

Don't really care as long as they don't change any more of the ingredients & turn it off limits for me!

Does explain the cheapskating to replace sunflower oil with the less pleasant rapeseed tho - guess she needs to scrimp & save the extra £0.01p per unit to help pay her utility bills & all that

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 14:02 - Dec 12 with 4824 viewsmonytowbray

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 13:50 - Dec 12 by SpruceMoose

You lot have well and truly ruined my thread. Thanks a lot!

I did none of the sort, I'm here for the food chat and banter.

Back on topic, here are some ideas for Xmas dinner. I'm gonna try the first of the three.

facebook.com/tastyvegetarian/videos/1956295244632356/
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 14:03]

TWTD never forgets…

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 14:04 - Dec 12 with 4818 viewsSpruceMoose

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 14:02 - Dec 12 by monytowbray

I did none of the sort, I'm here for the food chat and banter.

Back on topic, here are some ideas for Xmas dinner. I'm gonna try the first of the three.

facebook.com/tastyvegetarian/videos/1956295244632356/
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 14:03]

It all looks very...beige?

Where are the veggies?

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 14:39 - Dec 12 with 4793 viewsmonytowbray

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 14:04 - Dec 12 by SpruceMoose

It all looks very...beige?

Where are the veggies?

That's just for the main part of the meal instead of meat.

Aren't most roast dinners pretty beige anyway? It's a mass of white and brown covered in more brown aside from some orange and green bits.

TWTD never forgets…

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 14:41 - Dec 12 with 4788 viewsSpruceMoose

Have a very merry vegan winterfest everyone! on 14:39 - Dec 12 by monytowbray

That's just for the main part of the meal instead of meat.

Aren't most roast dinners pretty beige anyway? It's a mass of white and brown covered in more brown aside from some orange and green bits.

No way. Got to have some pink on there.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024