Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Concorde 21:25 - Dec 11 with 5351 viewsBent_double

Anyone on here ever travel on Concorde?

Would have loved to myself, but never had the opportunity.

Such a beautiful plane.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Concorde on 21:35 - Dec 11 with 5333 viewsblueislander

Yep. Twice, one each way. Tiny plane, fantastic experience.
Concorde on 22:10 - Dec 11 with 5302 viewsBent_double

Concorde on 21:35 - Dec 11 by blueislander

Yep. Twice, one each way. Tiny plane, fantastic experience.

Yeah, the cabins looked small and cramped, but I guess that didn't matter when you were travelling at 1300mph!

Concorde on 22:15 - Dec 11 with 5294 viewsSwansea_Blue

It was a noisy b@stard. Shame we couldn't keep it going or develop a replacement. Just for once it would be nice to be limited by our imagination rather than accountants.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Concorde on 22:54 - Dec 11 with 5265 viewsBent_double

Concorde on 22:15 - Dec 11 by Swansea_Blue

It was a noisy b@stard. Shame we couldn't keep it going or develop a replacement. Just for once it would be nice to be limited by our imagination rather than accountants.

Was it though? On one of the documentaries, that was stated as the reason why it wasn't allowed to fly into/out of NY, but the engineers pleaded with the US authorities to give them the chance to show them it wasn't as noisy/polluting as they thought.

They setup all kinds of noise monitoring equipment on the ground and apparently it didn't register anything when Concorde took off/landed - something to do with it's maneuvorability soon after take-off.

There are new supersonic planes in developement now of course, but I don't think any of them will come close to how Concorde looked.

Concorde on 01:18 - Dec 12 with 5191 viewsSarge

Concorde on 22:54 - Dec 11 by Bent_double

Was it though? On one of the documentaries, that was stated as the reason why it wasn't allowed to fly into/out of NY, but the engineers pleaded with the US authorities to give them the chance to show them it wasn't as noisy/polluting as they thought.

They setup all kinds of noise monitoring equipment on the ground and apparently it didn't register anything when Concorde took off/landed - something to do with it's maneuvorability soon after take-off.

There are new supersonic planes in developement now of course, but I don't think any of them will come close to how Concorde looked.

The boom jet looks very similar but in reality the limiting factor is efficiency, which means fuel consumption is king, not speed. Also the environmental aims that the aviation industry is expected to meet can only really be achieved at the moment by reducing cruise speed which basically means supersonic flight will be the preserve of business jets and not much else unfortunately.
Concorde on 06:33 - Dec 12 with 5120 viewsNo9

The real issue was NMH = not made here
Concorde on 07:18 - Dec 12 with 5106 viewsblueislander

Concorde on 06:33 - Dec 12 by No9

The real issue was NMH = not made here

That was exactly the point. The yanks did not have a supersonic airliner, so they were determined not to allow Concorde to fly to places other than New York and Washington. Fuel consumption would be an issue now, but it is conceivable that modern technology could have overcome this difficulty.
Concorde on 07:24 - Dec 12 with 5099 viewshampstead_blue

Mrs Hampstead has. Sadly before she met me as I haven't.

She loved it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Concorde on 07:26 - Dec 12 with 5103 viewsSaleAway

It really was a noisy b*stard... I used to work in the old telephone exchange at Heathrow occasionally. And when it took off, literally everything stopped, you couldn't here yourself think. A mate of mine worked for Rolls Royce's engine department, and worked a little with the power controllers for the concorde jets early in his career. It always made me smile, when he said that on take off, it used to use 110% of the engines rated power. They were literally thrashing the things to within an inch of their lives, to get it off the ground.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Concorde on 08:34 - Dec 12 with 5064 viewsLord_Lucan

No but I went on a full pre production model at Duxford when I was a kid and remember thinking how cr4p it was.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Concorde on 09:39 - Dec 12 with 5003 viewsStokieBlue

It was massively loud, even going sub-sonic you knew when Concorde was flying over, the engines were far louder than a conventional plane. When I was living in Reading I always knew when it was flying over.

Concorde did fly into New York, the issue was it couldn't go supersonic over land due to the sonic booms.

The new planes will look roughly similar to Concorde, that is the most efficient shape to break the sound barrier along with a large lifting wing. They will be a bit different though as they now know how to minimise the sonic boom by using different shaped surfaces.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Concorde on 09:40 - Dec 12 with 5000 viewsStokieBlue

Concorde on 07:18 - Dec 12 by blueislander

That was exactly the point. The yanks did not have a supersonic airliner, so they were determined not to allow Concorde to fly to places other than New York and Washington. Fuel consumption would be an issue now, but it is conceivable that modern technology could have overcome this difficulty.

They did have one which was designed by Boeing but in the end it didn't work very well and was cancelled. They made it too large and simply didn't have the materials available at the time to make it all work.

At the same time Boeing worked on the 747 which was obviously a massive success.

SB

Concorde on 10:19 - Dec 12 with 4972 viewsBent_double

Concorde on 09:40 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

They did have one which was designed by Boeing but in the end it didn't work very well and was cancelled. They made it too large and simply didn't have the materials available at the time to make it all work.

At the same time Boeing worked on the 747 which was obviously a massive success.

SB

The Russian one was a bit ugly wasn't it? Clearly a bit of industrial espionage going on there, then gave the job of building it to a group of 8-year olds with a Meccano kit!

Concorde on 10:31 - Dec 12 with 4965 viewsStokieBlue

Concorde on 10:19 - Dec 12 by Bent_double

The Russian one was a bit ugly wasn't it? Clearly a bit of industrial espionage going on there, then gave the job of building it to a group of 8-year olds with a Meccano kit!

The Tupelov was essentially a copy of Concorde which they attempted to scale up but got it all completely wrong.

Two of them crashed almost immediately on release so it was retired.

SB

Concorde on 10:43 - Dec 12 with 4950 viewsgerard1947

The company I worked for bought hospitality flights for large existing and potential clients. I acted as a host on a couple of flights. They were fairly short, just out and round the Bay of Biscay. Enough to say you'd been on it but not enough to see the plane through its paces. I remember it being very cramped and a bit noisy.

I've still got some of the freebies, tie, book and silver picture frame.
Concorde on 11:02 - Dec 12 with 4925 viewsClapham_Junction

Like Stokie, I lived in Reading at the time Concorde was still going to/from Heathrow and it was noticeably louder than other planes.
Concorde on 11:03 - Dec 12 with 4919 viewsblueislander

Concorde on 22:10 - Dec 11 by Bent_double

Yeah, the cabins looked small and cramped, but I guess that didn't matter when you were travelling at 1300mph!

It wasn't particularly noisy once it reached the cruise. Although the cabin was small, the seats were comfortable and roomy. Leaving JFK was spectacular because it made a very tight turn very soon after take off. The service was impeccable of course. I know one of the pilots. He thought that it was very special.
Concorde on 12:00 - Dec 12 with 4868 viewsGuthrum

Yes, it was noisy (having watched it taking off). Four big Rolls Royce Olympus turbojets - not turbofans like modern airliners - all the thrust coming from burnt fuel. Plus the wing was less efficient at low speed, requiring more power for the faster take-off roll.

This is what the same engines (albeit in an earlier, less powerful configuration) sound like in a Vulcan - enough to set off a car alarm!
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e3d_1444600434

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024