Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? 16:36 - Dec 12 with 36537 viewsMaySixth

can't think of one yet so many idiotic sheep leave the UK to go there to follow their bank balances and gargantuan cocaine habits

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:43 - Dec 12 with 5778 viewsClapham_Junction

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:32 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

The op said racist and backwards. Surely backwards includes homophobic attitudes which all of the middle eastern countries except Israel has. Gay Palestinians flee into Israel to escape persecution. Israel has the only gay pride march in the middle east and doesn't imprison, torture or execute homosexuals like many other middle eastern countries do.

Israeli male attitude towards women is far more forward thinking than the other middle eastern countries.

With regards to racist, we have established that Trump's Muslim ban, which isn't actual a Muslim ban, is racist. The majority of middle eastern countries have an Israeli Jew ban which must also be considered racist.

That's not to say that there isn't racism in Israel but the OP asked for for racist and backwards countries than Australia. I'd say that all of the middle eastern countries with the exception of Israel fits that particular bill.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 19:45]

As you say, the comparison is against Australia, so what I found odd was the claim that Israel is less racist/backward than Australia.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:43 - Dec 12 with 5777 viewsslump

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 18:10 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

Every country in the middle east except Israel.

Sorry, but that is not case at all.

I lived in Israel for 7 months and I promise you that there is as much discrimination there as there is in your average Muslim majority *country and more.

*edit
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 19:53]

UTT

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:49 - Dec 12 with 5757 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:43 - Dec 12 by Clapham_Junction

As you say, the comparison is against Australia, so what I found odd was the claim that Israel is less racist/backward than Australia.

Discrimination against Aboriginal people over the past couple of centuries has been pretty severe imo.

I think there have been less than 10 Aboriginal MP's in the Australian Parliament. Without checking I think there have been more Israeli Arabs sitting in the Knesset .

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:52 - Dec 12 with 5752 viewsBlueBadger

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:06 - Dec 12 by crunchie1978

Yes it's called England....racist against the soon to be minority of white working class.

Why are you so worried about being a minority? Do people treat minorities badly or something?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:00 - Dec 12 with 5738 viewsClapham_Junction

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:49 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

Discrimination against Aboriginal people over the past couple of centuries has been pretty severe imo.

I think there have been less than 10 Aboriginal MP's in the Australian Parliament. Without checking I think there have been more Israeli Arabs sitting in the Knesset .

As has discrimination against Arabs and non-Ashkenazi Jews, although Israel's only been around for 70 years. If we're talking about the present situation (which I assume we are), I really struggle to see how Australia could be considered worse than Israel.

I guess the difference in MPs is at least partly down to the respective electoral systems. Australia still uses single-member constituencies for House elections whilst Israel has whole-country PR and a very low electoral threshold. Plus Arabs constitute a far bigger proportion of the population compared to indigenous Australians.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:07 - Dec 12 with 5714 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:00 - Dec 12 by Clapham_Junction

As has discrimination against Arabs and non-Ashkenazi Jews, although Israel's only been around for 70 years. If we're talking about the present situation (which I assume we are), I really struggle to see how Australia could be considered worse than Israel.

I guess the difference in MPs is at least partly down to the respective electoral systems. Australia still uses single-member constituencies for House elections whilst Israel has whole-country PR and a very low electoral threshold. Plus Arabs constitute a far bigger proportion of the population compared to indigenous Australians.

The difference between how Israel is surrounded by hostility ad Australia isn't plays into Israeli attitudes.

My point was more that there are a hell of a lot of countries in the middle east that are worse than Australia when it comes to racism, sexism and homophobia. I wasn't singling out Israel in comparison with Australia. More singling out Israel from other countries in the middle east.

Iron Lion Zion

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:14 - Dec 12 with 5701 viewsClapham_Junction

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:07 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

The difference between how Israel is surrounded by hostility ad Australia isn't plays into Israeli attitudes.

My point was more that there are a hell of a lot of countries in the middle east that are worse than Australia when it comes to racism, sexism and homophobia. I wasn't singling out Israel in comparison with Australia. More singling out Israel from other countries in the middle east.

For attitudes to Arabs yes; my ex's father had exactly the same attitude to Arabs than one of my grandfathers had towards the Japanese, both having fought them in wars. However, for attitudes between different parts of the Jewish community, I don't think so.

The purpose of the thread was to compare countries to Australia, so not sure why you felt the need to post about differences between countries in the Middle East.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:16 - Dec 12 with 5688 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:14 - Dec 12 by Clapham_Junction

For attitudes to Arabs yes; my ex's father had exactly the same attitude to Arabs than one of my grandfathers had towards the Japanese, both having fought them in wars. However, for attitudes between different parts of the Jewish community, I don't think so.

The purpose of the thread was to compare countries to Australia, so not sure why you felt the need to post about differences between countries in the Middle East.

I probably worded it badly but it was easier than saying "all the countries in the middle east although Israel, a middle eastern county, is head and shoulders above those other middle eastern countries when it comes to racism, sexism and homophobia".

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:17 - Dec 12 with 5689 viewsslump

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:07 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

Again I disagree. Ask the Mizrahi Jews who have emigrated from Ethiopia how they are treated

UTT

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:18 - Dec 12 with 5681 viewsfactual_blue

Why post this? You're only going to encourage others to express obnoxious and idiotic views. (Not that it bothers me personally, the usual suspects are all on ignore anyway).

FWIW, few countries are 'racist'. A greater of larger proportion of people in every country will hold these unpalatable views. To pretend that some countries are 'better' than their neighbours is at best ignorant, at worse deliberate falsehood.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:22 - Dec 12 with 5670 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:17 - Dec 12 by slump

Again I disagree. Ask the Mizrahi Jews who have emigrated from Ethiopia how they are treated

The op said racist and backwards. In that criteria you have to include women and gay rights. Women are not treated as second class citizens in Israel and gays are not imprisoned, tortured and executed for their sexuality.

You have to wonder why gay Palestinian men are risking their lives to cross the border into Israel, claiming they feel safer among Israelis than their own people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3211772.stm

Iron Lion Zion

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:30 - Dec 12 with 5668 viewsslump

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:22 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

The op said racist and backwards. In that criteria you have to include women and gay rights. Women are not treated as second class citizens in Israel and gays are not imprisoned, tortured and executed for their sexuality.

You have to wonder why gay Palestinian men are risking their lives to cross the border into Israel, claiming they feel safer among Israelis than their own people.

Isreal is more racist and backwards in its attitudes that were expressed by the OP, believe me. Which was the point no?

UTT

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:37 - Dec 12 with 5655 viewsClapham_Junction

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:17 - Dec 12 by slump

You're confusing Mizrachim with Beta Israel.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:37 - Dec 12 with 5650 viewsWD19

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:06 - Dec 12 by crunchie1978

Yes it's called England....racist against the soon to be minority of white working class.

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:42 - Dec 12 with 5645 viewsslump

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:37 - Dec 12 by Clapham_Junction

You're confusing Mizrachim with Beta Israel.

Cheers. It's been a while.

UTT

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:43 - Dec 12 with 5640 viewsClapham_Junction

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:22 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

Largely agree, but worth noting that in certain communities in Israel, women are very much second class citizens. The two main ultra-Orthodox parties and one of the Arab parties refuse to have women on their electoral lists.

For the first time ever there was an ultra-Orthodox women's list at the last elections. They were threatened with excommunication by their religious leaders.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:49 - Dec 12 with 5627 viewshype313

Backward? They have just legalised gay marriage.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:54 - Dec 12 with 5620 viewsunbelievablue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:14 - Dec 12 by noggin

Define working class.

Worth a read. Not certain I agree with the deliniations therewithin.

EDIT - forgot link, sorry: https://discover.ukdataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/?sn=7616
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 20:55]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:59 - Dec 12 with 5602 viewsunbelievablue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 18:10 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

I'd wager Israel, by any agreeable standard, is more racist and backwards than Australia, you loon.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 21:02 - Dec 12 with 5604 viewsFootballpete

I lived with numerous Aussies in a house share in West London when I was younger. Although a mixed bag, many of them were pretty racist, very patriotic and seemed to dislike England and the English (and me, maybe my presence was the catalyst??). They were also freakishly self assured, but that seems a common trait in people from settler-colonialist nations (South Africa, US also spring to mind).

Though I've never been, I'd expect there are many countries more backward than one that has just voted overwhelmingly to legalise gay marriage.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 21:57 - Dec 12 with 5531 viewsnoggin

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:59 - Dec 12 by unbelievablue

I'd wager Israel, by any agreeable standard, is more racist and backwards than Australia, you loon.

Antisemite.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 21:58 - Dec 12 with 5528 viewscaught-in-limbo

This could go down as one of the most ridiculous threads in TWTD history and as such I had planned to ignore it, but your comment deserves comment.

While Israel leads the way globally in many technology-based industries there are many aspects of Israeli society which make the country more backward than its northern neighbour Lebanon, for example.

Lebanese society exhibits far more religious and racial tolerance than Israeli society.
The position of women in society is generally higher in Lebanon than in Israel.
Lebanon does not practice anything so backward and dangerous as Metzitzah B’Peh.

Additionally, in my opinion, the whole practice of circumcision is very backward.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 22:16]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 23:17 - Dec 12 with 5448 viewsClapham_Junction

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 21:58 - Dec 12 by caught-in-limbo

This could go down as one of the most ridiculous threads in TWTD history and as such I had planned to ignore it, but your comment deserves comment.

While Israel leads the way globally in many technology-based industries there are many aspects of Israeli society which make the country more backward than its northern neighbour Lebanon, for example.

Lebanese society exhibits far more religious and racial tolerance than Israeli society.
The position of women in society is generally higher in Lebanon than in Israel.
Lebanon does not practice anything so backward and dangerous as Metzitzah B’Peh.

Additionally, in my opinion, the whole practice of circumcision is very backward.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 22:16]

Whilst I don't really agree with any of your three points (Metzitzah b'Peh is not widespread so I don't think is representative of Israel as a whole, and also happens in Jewish communities in other countries), the claim that women have a higher status in Lebanon than in Israel is particularly off the mark. Whilst there are sections of Israeli society where women are marginalised, in mainstream society it's not too much different to many European countries.

In the Global Gender Gap Israel is around 50th, above Italy and Austria. Lebanon is 135th, lower than numerous other Arab countries ( http://reports.weforum.org/global-gender-gap-report-2016/rankings/?doing_wp_cron

In terms of women in Parliament, Israel is ranked 57th (28%), Lebanon is 184th (3%) ( http://archive.ipu.org/wmn-e/classif.htm)
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 00:30 - Dec 13 with 5420 viewsRyorry

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 23:17 - Dec 12 by Clapham_Junction

Whilst I don't really agree with any of your three points (Metzitzah b'Peh is not widespread so I don't think is representative of Israel as a whole, and also happens in Jewish communities in other countries), the claim that women have a higher status in Lebanon than in Israel is particularly off the mark. Whilst there are sections of Israeli society where women are marginalised, in mainstream society it's not too much different to many European countries.

In the Global Gender Gap Israel is around 50th, above Italy and Austria. Lebanon is 135th, lower than numerous other Arab countries ( http://reports.weforum.org/global-gender-gap-report-2016/rankings/?doing_wp_cron

In terms of women in Parliament, Israel is ranked 57th (28%), Lebanon is 184th (3%) ( http://archive.ipu.org/wmn-e/classif.htm)

Whilst I agree with CIL that it's one of the most ridiculous ever starter OPs in TWTD history, I think the thread itself has actually been very well saved from becoming so by virtue of some of the excellent info, insights and discussion posted, particularly by yourself. Very informative, thank you :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

[Redacted] on 01:59 - Dec 13 with 5403 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024