Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burnley 09:41 - Dec 13 with 6766 viewshype313

Not a housing thread for once, but similarities to our season in 00/01.

Dyche is doing, and has done a sterling job there.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Burnley on 09:57 - Dec 13 with 5042 viewsKieran_Knows

Dyche is doing a very good job there indeed. I suspect a 'bigger' club might come in for him next summer.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Burnley on 10:02 - Dec 13 with 5035 viewsbrazil1982

Next Newcastle boss.
Burnley on 10:05 - Dec 13 with 5022 viewsCurrie10

Amazed to this day Stephen Defour plays for them. Absolute baller.
Burnley on 10:16 - Dec 13 with 4993 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Burnley on 09:57 - Dec 13 by Kieran_Knows

Dyche is doing a very good job there indeed. I suspect a 'bigger' club might come in for him next summer.

There were 'news' stories earlier this season that Arsenal viewed him as a successor to Wenger.. Though not sure how accurate that is, though would love it to be true, he certainly deserves a chance at one of the bigger clubs.

The issue for him will be his lack of European football experience... Or at least that's what is usually trotted out when the 'big' clubs go for a more headline grabbing name.
Burnley on 10:18 - Dec 13 with 4984 viewshype313

Burnley on 10:16 - Dec 13 by King_of_Portman_Rd

There were 'news' stories earlier this season that Arsenal viewed him as a successor to Wenger.. Though not sure how accurate that is, though would love it to be true, he certainly deserves a chance at one of the bigger clubs.

The issue for him will be his lack of European football experience... Or at least that's what is usually trotted out when the 'big' clubs go for a more headline grabbing name.

He's not fashionable enough for the top four, needs a Tim Sherwood Gilet to get an Interview.

Although, out of the top clubs you can only see vacancies at potentially Arsenal and Spurs (If Poch gets one of the spanish top two gigs)

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Burnley on 10:20 - Dec 13 with 4984 viewsHerbivore

He's doing a great job, although we had an amazing season whilst playing champagne football and Burnley are more akin to Lambrini. Doesn't take away from the scale of their achievement though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Burnley on 10:30 - Dec 13 with 4966 viewsKieran_Knows

I suppose it would depend on who he see's as a step up from Burnley, if they carry on having a good season.

I was surprised Everton never went for him, but could equally see him at somewhere like Newcastle or Southampton, should they ever look to get a new manager.

Burnley on 10:57 - Dec 13 with 4946 viewsBasuco

Yes he is doing a brilliant job, but, if Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs win tonight they will drop back to 7th place and they have Brighton, Spurs, Man U, Huddersfield, Liverpool and Man City coming up. So they may just drop back a bit in the next few weeks. But still a great season for them.
Login to get fewer ads

Burnley on 11:11 - Dec 13 with 4909 viewsSwansea_Blue

Burnley on 10:20 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

He's doing a great job, although we had an amazing season whilst playing champagne football and Burnley are more akin to Lambrini. Doesn't take away from the scale of their achievement though.

Yep, quite a different approach to the one we had. I can't see the likes of Arsenal going for him. Not unless they want a return to the George Graham days.

Having a good season so far though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Burnley on 11:29 - Dec 13 with 4886 viewschristiand

I would say Burnley's style of football is a little bit better than in previous seasons. Also what Sean Dyche is doing at Turf Moor shows what can be achieved. Yes I appreciate that Burnley have a lot of money at their disposal compared to us, but in comparison to what they are up against 4th in the Premier League what they have achieved so far is pretty spectacular.

Have a look at their defensive record, think they have only conceded 12 goals in 17 games. Southgate needs to have a look at their defence for future England squads, starting with Nick Pope. He has made a real difference since he has come in and replaced Tom Heaton in goal. That's no fluke, he has now performed over a series of games and showed he can deliver at that level.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Burnley on 11:31 - Dec 13 with 4878 viewsclive_baker

Wouldn't mind him getting the England job personally when Southgate inevitably flops at the World Cup.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Burnley on 11:32 - Dec 13 with 4878 viewsSwailsey

I remember when he had left Watford, there were a lot of people unhappy at the thought o fhim coming here!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Burnley on 12:26 - Dec 13 with 4826 viewsHerbivore

Burnley on 11:29 - Dec 13 by christiand

I would say Burnley's style of football is a little bit better than in previous seasons. Also what Sean Dyche is doing at Turf Moor shows what can be achieved. Yes I appreciate that Burnley have a lot of money at their disposal compared to us, but in comparison to what they are up against 4th in the Premier League what they have achieved so far is pretty spectacular.

Have a look at their defensive record, think they have only conceded 12 goals in 17 games. Southgate needs to have a look at their defence for future England squads, starting with Nick Pope. He has made a real difference since he has come in and replaced Tom Heaton in goal. That's no fluke, he has now performed over a series of games and showed he can deliver at that level.

You confuse me sometimes. Dyche - and Ranieri a couple of seasons ago - have demonstrated that if you want to compete with inferior resources the way to do it is to be very organised, to play pragmatically and to target only players who will suit your system. Pulis has been a master of this too over the years, although without the same big success of competing for the top 4. Yet you criticise Mick for his style of football constantly and suggest that we could be more competitive and play good football despite our budget. The evidence of sides like Burnley is that the way to overperform is to play precisely the kind of football that you've criticised Mick for and yet you're praising Burnley. I don't get it.

Burnley on 12:28 - Dec 13 with 4817 viewsKieran_Knows

Burnley on 11:32 - Dec 13 by Swailsey

I remember when he had left Watford, there were a lot of people unhappy at the thought o fhim coming here!

That doesn't surprise me!

Burnley on 12:31 - Dec 13 with 4811 viewschicoazul

Burnley are very good going forward now. Defour in particular is top quality. They hit Wood in the channels rather than up the middle and Hendricks is also a good footballer.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Burnley on 13:34 - Dec 13 with 4704 viewschristiand

Burnley on 12:26 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

You confuse me sometimes. Dyche - and Ranieri a couple of seasons ago - have demonstrated that if you want to compete with inferior resources the way to do it is to be very organised, to play pragmatically and to target only players who will suit your system. Pulis has been a master of this too over the years, although without the same big success of competing for the top 4. Yet you criticise Mick for his style of football constantly and suggest that we could be more competitive and play good football despite our budget. The evidence of sides like Burnley is that the way to overperform is to play precisely the kind of football that you've criticised Mick for and yet you're praising Burnley. I don't get it.

No confusion. I have watched Burnley enough this season to see that their style of play is not solely long ball, they actually try and play decent stuff at times. Leicester City are never in the same bracket as us or Burnley they were actually very exciting to watch under Ranieri. Yes they would play balls in the channels for Vardy to chase, but the way they would break with purpose was frightening and entertaining.

If you are comparing MM with Pulis, now that is very much a like for like comparison. I don't think I have 'ever' praised Pulis for his good football and I don't think I ever will. I respect him for what he has achieved and I do with MM, but for what is served up on the pitch it is certainly not my cup of tea as you well know Herbivore.

Burnley on 13:45 - Dec 13 with 4684 viewsHerbivore

Burnley on 13:34 - Dec 13 by christiand

No confusion. I have watched Burnley enough this season to see that their style of play is not solely long ball, they actually try and play decent stuff at times. Leicester City are never in the same bracket as us or Burnley they were actually very exciting to watch under Ranieri. Yes they would play balls in the channels for Vardy to chase, but the way they would break with purpose was frightening and entertaining.

If you are comparing MM with Pulis, now that is very much a like for like comparison. I don't think I have 'ever' praised Pulis for his good football and I don't think I ever will. I respect him for what he has achieved and I do with MM, but for what is served up on the pitch it is certainly not my cup of tea as you well know Herbivore.

We are much more like Leicester this season than we are like a Pulis side to be fair. And neither Burnley or Leicester play(ed) the kind of progressive football you've been calling for, it's organised and hard working fare for the most part.

Burnley on 13:54 - Dec 13 with 4669 viewsKitman

Interesting. I distinctly remember George Burley being quoted with very short odds as a possible successor to Alex Ferguson at United around our 2000/01 season...

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Burnley on 14:11 - Dec 13 with 4641 viewsBlueNomad

Burnley on 13:34 - Dec 13 by christiand

Second top scorers in The Championship
Burnley on 14:12 - Dec 13 with 4637 viewsHerbivore

Burnley on 14:11 - Dec 13 by BlueNomad

Whilst Burnley have 16 goals in 17 games.

Burnley on 14:15 - Dec 13 with 4633 viewsKieran_Knows

Don't let facts get in the way.

Burnley on 14:15 - Dec 13 with 4633 viewschristiand

Burnley on 13:45 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

We are much more like Leicester this season than we are like a Pulis side to be fair. And neither Burnley or Leicester play(ed) the kind of progressive football you've been calling for, it's organised and hard working fare for the most part.

Leicester City had (and still do) blistering pace when they attack, we don’t and they could pass the ball. I think you’re confusing lumping aimlessly to purposeful passing. Herbivore we are nothing like the Foxes, if only we were. Like I said previously, look at Tony Pulis’ sides and then you have your comparison. We are more like WBA, dull and lacking imagination.

Burnley on 14:17 - Dec 13 with 4631 viewschristiand

That’s great, but with one of the worst defensive records. Not really going to get that far. Look at what the decent sides have done to us this season, apart from Derby County.

Burnley on 14:22 - Dec 13 with 4621 viewsHerbivore

Burnley on 14:15 - Dec 13 by christiand

Leicester City had (and still do) blistering pace when they attack, we don’t and they could pass the ball. I think you’re confusing lumping aimlessly to purposeful passing. Herbivore we are nothing like the Foxes, if only we were. Like I said previously, look at Tony Pulis’ sides and then you have your comparison. We are more like WBA, dull and lacking imagination.

The second top scorers in the league are 'dull and lacking imagination'? How did we score all those goals then? Sorry mate, but you're all over the place on where you see us imo. I see you're now criticising our defensive record, and rightly so, but the only reason we're doing well is our ability to out score the opposition which you don't do by being dull and aimlessly lumping it forward. Last season called, it wants your opinion of it back.

Burnley on 14:43 - Dec 13 with 4594 viewschristiand

Burnley on 14:22 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

The second top scorers in the league are 'dull and lacking imagination'? How did we score all those goals then? Sorry mate, but you're all over the place on where you see us imo. I see you're now criticising our defensive record, and rightly so, but the only reason we're doing well is our ability to out score the opposition which you don't do by being dull and aimlessly lumping it forward. Last season called, it wants your opinion of it back.

Herbivore you really do come out with some strange stuff. I understand you go and watch us play, do you have your eyes closed, imagine what is happening on the pitch and then believe that actually occured? What I suggest is you actually watch how Leicester City play there is simply no comparison or are you completely dillusional? Yes we have scored lots of goals this season, which is great, but we aren’t exciting to watch - we simply aren’t. Our attendances show you that. Have we suddenly just stopped lumping the ball forwards hoping Garner wins it and we pick up the second ball? No, it is still a lot of long ball rubbish mixed in with some flicks in the air, but a little less than previous seasons - hence Tony Pulis Mark II. Based on Manchester United against City on Sunday, MM could do well at Old Trafford they just lump the ball forwards, oh and they score goals too - that must make them great!?

I think a few of us are being hoodwinked because we have scored a few goals this season. Look at how we play generally, the improvement is slightly better nothing more.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 14:53]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024