Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Theresa defeated.... 19:30 - Dec 13 with 40304 viewsElderGrizzly

Whoops :)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/13/tory-brexit-rebels-inflict-majo

Theresa May has lost a Brexit vote in the Commons for the first time.

MPs voted to back the Dominic Grieve amendment by 309 votes to 305 - a majority of four.
The amendment will curb some of the powers the government is giving itself in the EU withdrawal bill. Specifically, it means that although clause 9 of the bill gives ministers powers to implement the Brexit withdrawal agreement by order, the amendment that has been passed means says they can only exercise these powers “subject to the prior enactment of a statute by parliament approving the final terms of withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.”

Opposition MPs also claim the amendment gives parliament a “meaningful vote” on the withdrawal agreement. This is contested because ministers say parliament is already going to get a meaningful vote. But what it will mean is that ministers will not be able to use the powers in clause 9 to implement the EU withdrawal bill by order until the Commons has passed the bill allowing this. See

Around a dozen Tory MPs rebelled, according to Labour.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 19:33]
Theresa defeated.... on 14:17 - Dec 14 with 5598 viewsGlasgowBlue

Theresa defeated.... on 14:13 - Dec 14 by Archer4721

You'll like this

[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 14:16]

That doesn't look like a picture of death threats and homophobic abuse directed at Angela Eagle from your Momentum mates. Why have you posted the front page from that awful rag the Mail? And why would I like it?
[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 14:17]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Theresa defeated.... on 14:22 - Dec 14 with 5586 viewsNo9

Theresa defeated.... on 14:16 - Dec 14 by StokieBlue

Can you give an example of how a nationalised corporation (pretty sure that's an oxymoron but we will move on) from another country is controlling the UK?

SB

A number of these are from the EU.
I'm surprised you haven't noticed?
We are just not fully aware as to how much influence over ( a form of control) government actions.
Theresa defeated.... on 14:23 - Dec 14 with 5589 viewsgordon

Theresa defeated.... on 13:58 - Dec 14 by StokieBlue

Not sure if you still have me on ignore but I'll give it a pop.

You mean that for all parties, policies and subjects I hope?

Because it certainly wasn't applied to Labour's manifesto in the last election. In fact the IFS study which said it would destroy the economy and laden future generations with even more debt was largely ignored. When someone called it out they were shouted down.

And now the IFS studies are used to highlight how bad the Tories are doing (not something I disagree with BTW).

I just feel that this "calling out bullsh!t and dealing with facts" tends to be very subjective even now. I'm all for it if it's applied universally but I fear that's not what many want.

SB
[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 14:00]

Do you have a link to the IFS report which said labour would 'destroy' the economy?
Theresa defeated.... on 14:24 - Dec 14 with 5577 viewsStokieBlue

Theresa defeated.... on 14:22 - Dec 14 by No9

A number of these are from the EU.
I'm surprised you haven't noticed?
We are just not fully aware as to how much influence over ( a form of control) government actions.

That's not an example I'm afraid.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Theresa defeated.... on 14:29 - Dec 14 with 5564 viewsNo9

Theresa defeated.... on 14:24 - Dec 14 by StokieBlue

That's not an example I'm afraid.

SB

OK, I will let you go and take a look at what has been going on since 2010
And it is not all EU companies is it?
How much corporation money went from Bamford & Banks (as an example) go to support leave?
& you seriously don't think what Fox/Redwood/Rees-Mogg are doing is undemocratic?
Are you sure?
Theresa defeated.... on 14:31 - Dec 14 with 5558 viewsGlasgowBlue

Theresa defeated.... on 14:29 - Dec 14 by No9

OK, I will let you go and take a look at what has been going on since 2010
And it is not all EU companies is it?
How much corporation money went from Bamford & Banks (as an example) go to support leave?
& you seriously don't think what Fox/Redwood/Rees-Mogg are doing is undemocratic?
Are you sure?

You forgot about all the Indians controlling the HOC. You haven't raised that one for a while.

Iron Lion Zion

Theresa defeated.... on 14:32 - Dec 14 with 5554 viewsNo9

Theresa defeated.... on 14:31 - Dec 14 by GlasgowBlue

You forgot about all the Indians controlling the HOC. You haven't raised that one for a while.

You never watch Parliament TV then?
Theresa defeated.... on 14:33 - Dec 14 with 5551 viewsStokieBlue

Theresa defeated.... on 14:23 - Dec 14 by gordon

Do you have a link to the IFS report which said labour would 'destroy' the economy?

Destroy isn't the right word - entirely my fault. It did however state that it couldn't be costed despite the fact Labour made a huge deal about their costings document, that it would leave the UK with the largest debt burden since WW2 and that their policies for covering their spending commitments wouldn't raise enough resulting in even more borrowing.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/Presentations/Carl%20Emmerson%2C%202017%20General
https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9218
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/26/conservative-labour-tax-spendin

Full report is on their website.

For clarity, they also took the Tory manifesto to task (which I think most of us can agree was a pretty rubbish manifesto) but that was accepted by most people I think. Their analysis of the Labour one tended to be ignored I found. Maybe your experience was different?

The unfortunate thing is that both manifestos were misleading.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Theresa defeated.... on 14:36 - Dec 14 with 5542 viewsGlasgowBlue

Theresa defeated.... on 14:32 - Dec 14 by No9

You never watch Parliament TV then?

Yes. I don't see the Indians controlling it. Maybe a few cowboys.

Iron Lion Zion

Theresa defeated.... on 14:39 - Dec 14 with 5544 viewsArcher4721

Theresa defeated.... on 14:17 - Dec 14 by GlasgowBlue

That doesn't look like a picture of death threats and homophobic abuse directed at Angela Eagle from your Momentum mates. Why have you posted the front page from that awful rag the Mail? And why would I like it?

Well it's about last night's vote,which this thread is about,so is relevent. Unlike the whataboutery you're trying to pursue.
Theresa defeated.... on 14:40 - Dec 14 with 5532 viewsGlasgowBlue

Theresa defeated.... on 14:39 - Dec 14 by Archer4721

Well it's about last night's vote,which this thread is about,so is relevent. Unlike the whataboutery you're trying to pursue.

Why would I like it?

Iron Lion Zion

Theresa defeated.... on 14:48 - Dec 14 with 5521 viewsm14_blue

Theresa defeated.... on 14:13 - Dec 14 by Archer4721

You'll like this

[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 14:16]

Now that looks suspiciously like propaganda....
Theresa defeated.... on 15:02 - Dec 14 with 5507 viewsArcher4721

Theresa defeated.... on 14:48 - Dec 14 by m14_blue

Now that looks suspiciously like propaganda....

Yes Fascist propaganda. Which they've supported since the 1930s TBF.
Theresa defeated.... on 15:12 - Dec 14 with 5495 viewsDarth_Koont

Theresa defeated.... on 13:45 - Dec 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Yeah.....good luck with that ! Care to expand on what that might be ?

Toning down the free-market obsession for starters and facing up to reality that it increases social and regional divides rather than becoming a cure-all for society as many believed and still believe.

Put simply, we can't look to free enterprise to solve structural issues or even to plug gaps, we need serious central funding instead. We already spend billions propping up financial institutions' business models, better the quantitative easing of public spending to ensure necessary projects happen like business regeneration programmes, infrastructure improvements, maintaining and upgrading the NHS, affordable housing etc. But also at the same time we'd be putting that money into the regional economies most disadvantaged under the current approach.

We may even get the pretty modest Northern Powerhouse project properly flying rather than letting it wither and die and spending billions elsewhere on shoring up DUP support and "negotiating" Brexit ... in other words we're paying way over the odds to treat the symptoms when it could go straight into treating the causes and preventing a recurrence next year, and the year after that and so on.

Pronouns: He/Him

Theresa defeated.... on 15:58 - Dec 14 with 5464 viewspowinswitch

Theresa defeated.... on 14:02 - Dec 14 by clive_baker

Bit rich coming from you to be fair. You spout your lies and lazy stereotypes as fact and when asked to substantiate them you either do a disappearing act, returning only to peddle the classic "I don't sit on here all day, some of us have lives" routine, because you're simply not informed and too immature to hold your hands up, or you charge around TWTD down-arrowing anyone who has an opinion that differs from yours, regardless of the subject matter.

I eagerly await mine.

Very well put Mr Baker. In more or less the last post on the first page I directly replied to his comment about 'thick racists'. Herbivore has not replied to my post. Is that because he lacks the intellectual maturity to properly debate the issue. Of course he may only have a put down, or similar get out to offer. I dont set out to be offensive, but I do find Herbivore to be somebody who lacks the mental capacity to offer anything more than an insult or generalised put down. There are others with whom I disagree fundamentally, but I respect their view, which they make with authority. One or two of them have reshaped my thoughts on issues. But Herbivore - pygmy springs to mind. Well pygmy and bully.
Theresa defeated.... on 16:02 - Dec 14 with 5453 viewsHerbivore

Theresa defeated.... on 15:58 - Dec 14 by powinswitch

Very well put Mr Baker. In more or less the last post on the first page I directly replied to his comment about 'thick racists'. Herbivore has not replied to my post. Is that because he lacks the intellectual maturity to properly debate the issue. Of course he may only have a put down, or similar get out to offer. I dont set out to be offensive, but I do find Herbivore to be somebody who lacks the mental capacity to offer anything more than an insult or generalised put down. There are others with whom I disagree fundamentally, but I respect their view, which they make with authority. One or two of them have reshaped my thoughts on issues. But Herbivore - pygmy springs to mind. Well pygmy and bully.

Dry your eyes. If you'd bothered reading my other posts on the first page you'd see that the comment you'd responded to was intended to be tongue in cheek.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Theresa defeated.... on 16:03 - Dec 14 with 5449 viewsclive_baker

Theresa defeated.... on 16:02 - Dec 14 by Herbivore

Dry your eyes. If you'd bothered reading my other posts on the first page you'd see that the comment you'd responded to was intended to be tongue in cheek.

He's spot on though.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Theresa defeated.... on 16:04 - Dec 14 with 5448 viewsHerbivore

Theresa defeated.... on 16:03 - Dec 14 by clive_baker

He's spot on though.

In your opinion, mate.

Theresa defeated.... on 16:09 - Dec 14 with 5437 viewsSpruceMoose

Theresa defeated.... on 16:03 - Dec 14 by clive_baker

He's spot on though.

'fraid not.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Theresa defeated.... on 16:11 - Dec 14 with 5432 viewspowinswitch

OK. So now debate my reply. You have expressed very similar sentiments on here before. I know why you wont. Because you just aren't up to it. Intellectual pygmy.

Sorry Phil, I'll take a yellow or red. Trawl my history and you will rarely find personal remarks. But this guy is somebody who lives in an echo chamber and does not have the ability to debate.
Theresa defeated.... on 16:11 - Dec 14 with 5432 viewsbrogansnose

If you want it to come across as tongue in cheek then make sure that it does come over as just that. As it sits on the page it reads as an insult.

'Dry your eyes'. You really don't help yourself when you want to have a debate or get a point over do you.
Theresa defeated.... on 16:11 - Dec 14 with 5432 viewsHerbivore

Theresa defeated.... on 16:09 - Dec 14 by SpruceMoose

'fraid not.

Glassers loused up a perfectly good thread yesterday chasing me around because I went out on Friday without answering one of his posts, seems his wife wants to do the same today. Very odd behaviour.

Theresa defeated.... on 16:13 - Dec 14 with 5421 viewsclive_baker

Theresa defeated.... on 16:11 - Dec 14 by Herbivore

Glassers loused up a perfectly good thread yesterday chasing me around because I went out on Friday without answering one of his posts, seems his wife wants to do the same today. Very odd behaviour.

I still don't recall you answering his question to be fair. You resorting to name calling smacks of pure desperation.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Theresa defeated.... on 16:16 - Dec 14 with 5410 viewsSpruceMoose

This board has a fair number of pseudo-intellectual chinstrokers, whipping themselves into a righteous internet froth at besting other posters. All they do though is wind themselves up though, all the live-long day, as they're too interested in point scoring. Mind you, for all its charms, this board has always had the whiff of the pub bore about it at times, so that's no surprise really.

Gets right up their noses when a simple moose comes along who won't rise to their baiting though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Theresa defeated.... on 16:16 - Dec 14 with 5407 viewsGlasgowBlue

You seem to have loused up this one all on your own with your narrow minded bigotry.

Stop using the cop out that you went out on Friday afternoon. You have had plenty of time since to put your hands up and say you made up complete bollox.

All you have done on this thread is throw insults at people who disagree with you.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024