Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Net neutrality scrapped in the US 22:49 - Dec 14 with 18148 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/14/net-neutrality-fcc-rules-open

Over time that means that ISP's would be able to throttle things like Netflix in order to make their own streaming alternatives seem better as they wouldn't be throttled. They could also do things to Amazon, Facebook, Google etc or implement a many tiered internet where you only get the fastest speeds depending on criteria and cost.

I can only see it going the way of companies like Google building their own infrastructure and telling the ISP's to sod off. It's not like they can't afford it.

SB
[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 22:49]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:52 - Dec 15 with 5185 viewsblue_oyster

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:13 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

That's totally different to the original post you made - well done for moving the goalposts to continue your trolling.

Enjoy your day.

SB

I'm not saying it's the same. But we can see that you cannot defend your statement that there's no truth in what I post, you just like trying to assert this nonsense.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:54 - Dec 15 with 5182 viewsblue_oyster

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:15 - Dec 15 by J2BLUE

The internet must seem pretty threatening to you. All that information out there letting people think for themselves. Less and less people forming their beliefs and opinions based on the bible.

Not at all, it has many good sides. But it's interesting to see how many people are threatened by the mere suggestion that there are downsides to it too.

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:55 - Dec 15 with 5186 viewsStokieBlue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:54 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

Not at all, it has many good sides. But it's interesting to see how many people are threatened by the mere suggestion that there are downsides to it too.

But you didn't say the internet. You said technology.

You'd be the first to jump on such a point if anyone else said it. Defend your original point or admit it was nonsense.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

In the space of very little time at all on 11:56 - Dec 15 with 5187 viewsDyland

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:54 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

From...

"The more faith people place in technology, it seems that it turns out to be a bad idea"

To...

"Not at all, it has many good sides. But it's interesting to see how many people are threatened by the mere suggestion that there are downsides to it too."

You're not very good at this are you.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 12:01 - Dec 15 with 5173 viewsblue_oyster

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:55 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

But you didn't say the internet. You said technology.

You'd be the first to jump on such a point if anyone else said it. Defend your original point or admit it was nonsense.

SB

So what, you don't think the internet is technology? Can't see what you're getting at here.

In the space of very little time at all on 12:02 - Dec 15 with 5171 viewsblue_oyster

In the space of very little time at all on 11:56 - Dec 15 by Dyland

From...

"The more faith people place in technology, it seems that it turns out to be a bad idea"

To...

"Not at all, it has many good sides. But it's interesting to see how many people are threatened by the mere suggestion that there are downsides to it too."

You're not very good at this are you.

What about it?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 12:38 - Dec 15 with 5143 viewseireblue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 09:34 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

The more faith people place in technology, it seems that it turns out to be a bad idea.

Another day, another fallacy.
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 12:57 - Dec 15 with 5125 viewsbaxterbasics

The noise I am hearing is that this will all be fine in areas where there is a lot of isp competition (ie most of us in the UK). But if you are in some backwoods with only one or two service options, it's bad news.

Plus VPN can help out here.

Which also leads me to wonder - how do I go about setting up my own ISP? Is this feasible?

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Login to get fewer ads

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 13:30 - Dec 15 with 5112 viewsDanTheMan

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 12:57 - Dec 15 by baxterbasics

The noise I am hearing is that this will all be fine in areas where there is a lot of isp competition (ie most of us in the UK). But if you are in some backwoods with only one or two service options, it's bad news.

Which also leads me to wonder - how do I go about setting up my own ISP? Is this feasible?

"The noise I am hearing is that this will all be fine in areas where there is a lot of isp competition"

Nope, because once one goes in on it, they all do. You see it in other countries where this has been allowed.

Also there is also the problem that ISPs then can just ban things they don't like, or throttle them to the point they may as well have banned them, or just completely hijack them. It's not a slippery slope argument, this was actually happening.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 13:53 - Dec 15 with 5097 viewsblue_oyster

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 12:38 - Dec 15 by eireblue

Another day, another fallacy.

Who knows? What started out as a naive but well intentioned project for the people to share information has, predictably, been consumed by government and big business which has led to our private data being sold around the world for criminal purposes, and even our bank accounts under daily attack from which the police have no defence. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:00 - Dec 15 with 5099 viewsSpruceMoose

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 09:34 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

The more faith people place in technology, it seems that it turns out to be a bad idea.

You're just a poor man's Ken M.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:01 - Dec 15 with 5098 viewsHagbardCeline

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 09:57 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

Who is lying? Trump is....

You'd know...
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:03 - Dec 15 with 5094 viewsElderGrizzly

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:01 - Dec 15 by HagbardCeline

You'd know...

Afternoon Pazzy.

My hotline to Donald is down right now. ISP issues or something...
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:04 - Dec 15 with 5088 viewsSpruceMoose

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:03 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

Afternoon Pazzy.

My hotline to Donald is down right now. ISP issues or something...

Shut up Sprucey. Fake News.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:09 - Dec 15 with 5075 viewsHagbardCeline

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:04 - Dec 15 by SpruceMoose

Shut up Sprucey. Fake News.

Lol at the up arrow!

Busted but still going - unbelievable jeff
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:12 - Dec 15 with 5067 viewsSpruceMoose

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:09 - Dec 15 by HagbardCeline

Lol at the up arrow!

Busted but still going - unbelievable jeff

Shut up Benters.

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:16 - Dec 15 with 5062 viewsDanTheMan

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:12 - Dec 15 by SpruceMoose

Shut up Benters.

Look we all know that I'm the only person here who isn't Blueas.

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:18 - Dec 15 with 5058 viewsSpruceMoose

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:16 - Dec 15 by DanTheMan

Look we all know that I'm the only person here who isn't Blueas.

Shouldn't you be organising the Leftybumfest Holiday Party rather than getting involved in petty squabbles?
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 14:19]

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:25 - Dec 15 with 5049 viewsbluelou

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 10:26 - Dec 15 by TonyHumesIpswich

Which was exactly the point I was making...

Sorry yes, you're right my main disagreement was with the previous poster.
I also work for an ISP hence my distain for Kodi but nobody here thinks we should repeal NN

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:30 - Dec 15 with 5043 viewsbluelou

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 12:57 - Dec 15 by baxterbasics

- There are very few areas in the US with any kind of ISP competition, it's already an issue there with prices far higher than what we pay in the EU
- It will only get worse, with the cable companies now free to operate a multi-tiered internet and charge both content providers and consumers for access to key services
- If you think VPN will help you, you might want to think again; many of them are already throttled by ISPs and ending NN would make it worse as VPN services will not be allowed in the "internet fast lanes" and wont guarantee any kind of service suitable for streaming

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:42 - Dec 15 with 5039 viewschicoazul

As far as I am concerned the more expensive it is to post on the internet the better.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 15:17 - Dec 15 with 5026 viewsDanTheMan

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 14:18 - Dec 15 by SpruceMoose

Shouldn't you be organising the Leftybumfest Holiday Party rather than getting involved in petty squabbles?
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 14:19]

I find it amusing you don't think that hasn't already been planned. 6 months worth of planning has gone into it.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get 6 tonnes of industrial strength lube?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 21:19 - Dec 15 with 4986 viewsBurwell_Blue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 07:23 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

If that's the ISP attitude then I fear you've signed your own death warrants.

Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple alone are not going to be held to ransom and are sitting on 300bn in cash. Don't be surprised if they start putting together their own high speed infrastructure and start undercutting the ISPs.

Also, who made that initial investment? For instance, in this country the taxpayer paid for the phone infrastructure.

SB

Do you have any idea how long that will take and how far 300bn will go?
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 23:20 - Dec 15 with 4962 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 21:19 - Dec 15 by Burwell_Blue

Do you have any idea how long that will take and how far 300bn will go?

I was reading this thread and wondering that. What’s your estimate? Can’t be done, right?
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:56 - Dec 16 with 4934 viewsBurwell_Blue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 23:20 - Dec 15 by FrowsyArmLarry

I was reading this thread and wondering that. What’s your estimate? Can’t be done, right?

Not in my opinion, no.

You need to have fibre to all homes, street cabinets, local exchanges, large data centres, peering with other existing Tier 1 ISPs (are they going to let you connect directly to them if you are a competitor?)

Then you need to do this all over the world. Not a chance. The existing infrastructure and Tier1 isps are here to stay. There won’t be any others coming along.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024