Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Net neutrality scrapped in the US 22:49 - Dec 14 with 18055 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/14/net-neutrality-fcc-rules-open

Over time that means that ISP's would be able to throttle things like Netflix in order to make their own streaming alternatives seem better as they wouldn't be throttled. They could also do things to Amazon, Facebook, Google etc or implement a many tiered internet where you only get the fastest speeds depending on criteria and cost.

I can only see it going the way of companies like Google building their own infrastructure and telling the ISP's to sod off. It's not like they can't afford it.

SB
[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 22:49]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 00:23 - Dec 15 with 8249 viewsBurwell_Blue

A good idea all round. Working for ISPs all my career, why should Netflix and the rest get rich off the back of others investment and at the detriment to other companies?
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 02:58 - Dec 15 with 8214 viewsIllinoisblue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 00:23 - Dec 15 by Burwell_Blue

A good idea all round. Working for ISPs all my career, why should Netflix and the rest get rich off the back of others investment and at the detriment to other companies?

but you could argue that the internet is as important as a country's road network is. The roads are open to all, as should the internet be.

There was no clamour for this decision except for pressure from ISPs who will of course jack up prices and/or introduce tiered pricing.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 03:51 - Dec 15 with 8205 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 02:58 - Dec 15 by Illinoisblue

but you could argue that the internet is as important as a country's road network is. The roads are open to all, as should the internet be.

There was no clamour for this decision except for pressure from ISPs who will of course jack up prices and/or introduce tiered pricing.

I have also worked for ISPs my entire career. The situation is not as simple as it first appears.

See for example how this will effect Kodi users;

https://www.vpnranks.com/how-net-neutrality-is-affecting-kodi-users/
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 06:20 - Dec 15 with 8162 viewsbluelou

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 03:51 - Dec 15 by TonyHumesIpswich

I have also worked for ISPs my entire career. The situation is not as simple as it first appears.

See for example how this will effect Kodi users;

https://www.vpnranks.com/how-net-neutrality-is-affecting-kodi-users/

That's not an article it's a sales pitch for a VPN. There are literally zero Kodi users who don't stream illegally so ending that shambles would be a good thing.

However the end to NN in the US is nothing but a bad thing. Access to an open internet is massively importan. Ending that would only man higher prices for customers, an end to legitimate legal competition and a multi-tiered internet that meant you had to pay for access to the key online services or accept poor speeds on anything alternative.

While we are in the EU it won't happen here but who knows after we leave?

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 06:52 - Dec 15 with 8154 viewstcblue

This is a terrible day for the internet. Neutrality is what helps make it such an egalitarian place where you or I have as much control and influence to create content as the big fat cat media companies who see an equal playing field as a threat and have done nothing to compete from a creative point of view, but instead have thrown money at the FCC.

Proper, in your face corruption which is absolutely against the public interest.
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 07:00 - Dec 15 with 8153 viewsbluelou

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 06:52 - Dec 15 by tcblue

This is a terrible day for the internet. Neutrality is what helps make it such an egalitarian place where you or I have as much control and influence to create content as the big fat cat media companies who see an equal playing field as a threat and have done nothing to compete from a creative point of view, but instead have thrown money at the FCC.

Proper, in your face corruption which is absolutely against the public interest.

Spot on. The most staggering thing is that the corruption is so transparent US citizens can see exactly how much their elected leaders sold them out for. Peanuts.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 07:23 - Dec 15 with 8135 viewsStokieBlue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 00:23 - Dec 15 by Burwell_Blue

If that's the ISP attitude then I fear you've signed your own death warrants.

Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple alone are not going to be held to ransom and are sitting on 300bn in cash. Don't be surprised if they start putting together their own high speed infrastructure and start undercutting the ISPs.

Also, who made that initial investment? For instance, in this country the taxpayer paid for the phone infrastructure.

SB

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 07:53 - Dec 15 with 8109 viewsElderGrizzly

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 07:00 - Dec 15 by bluelou

Spot on. The most staggering thing is that the corruption is so transparent US citizens can see exactly how much their elected leaders sold them out for. Peanuts.

And the Trump’s even tried to blame Obama. The Chairman was appointed by Trump, not Obama...

Login to get fewer ads

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:08 - Dec 15 with 8103 viewsDanTheMan

This is really terrible news tbh. I would have been happy knowing that at least with the EU it shouldn't affect us that much but of course we're leaving so I could see the same nonsense happening here.

Can't wait to have to pay the £8 a month upgrade package to watch Netflix.

There was a fantastic speech by one of the democrats outlining the incredibly dodgy behaviour in the lead up to this vote (like obvious bots being used to say how bad net neutrality was) amongst other things.

What happens after the speech? Ajit Pai cracks a little joke and has a good old laugh with his chums.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 8:10]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:21 - Dec 15 with 8084 viewsStokieBlue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 07:53 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

And the Trump’s even tried to blame Obama. The Chairman was appointed by Trump, not Obama...

That's outrageous fake news.

Obama bought in the legislation and Trump then added a new chairman who scrapped it.

Outright lying.

SB
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 8:22]

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:33 - Dec 15 with 8068 viewshype313

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 07:23 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

If that's the ISP attitude then I fear you've signed your own death warrants.

Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple alone are not going to be held to ransom and are sitting on 300bn in cash. Don't be surprised if they start putting together their own high speed infrastructure and start undercutting the ISPs.

Also, who made that initial investment? For instance, in this country the taxpayer paid for the phone infrastructure.

SB

Google are already putting in their own infrastructure in the US, I'm sure Amazon will follow suit shortly.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:33 - Dec 15 with 8069 viewsSteve_M

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:08 - Dec 15 by DanTheMan

This is really terrible news tbh. I would have been happy knowing that at least with the EU it shouldn't affect us that much but of course we're leaving so I could see the same nonsense happening here.

There was a fantastic speech by one of the democrats outlining the incredibly dodgy behaviour in the lead up to this vote (like obvious bots being used to say how bad net neutrality was) amongst other things.

What happens after the speech? Ajit Pai cracks a little joke and has a good old laugh with his chums.

Yes, the sort of positive protections with clear benefiots that seem to so enrage the Tory zealots.

This is good on the background, the KPN example in Holland backing up your point.

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/12/14/16776236/net-neutrality-made-intern

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:41 - Dec 15 with 8053 viewstcblue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:08 - Dec 15 by DanTheMan

It will affect you even if we don't drop net neutrality, assuming you consume anything created in the US.

There will be a lot less reasons for content creators to continue to do so, as the playing field is no longer level and competing will be made so much harder.

As an aside, I can't believe someone who works for an ISP can't see that this is bad.
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:46 - Dec 15 with 8041 viewsDanTheMan

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:41 - Dec 15 by tcblue

It will affect you even if we don't drop net neutrality, assuming you consume anything created in the US.

There will be a lot less reasons for content creators to continue to do so, as the playing field is no longer level and competing will be made so much harder.

As an aside, I can't believe someone who works for an ISP can't see that this is bad.

True, although at the very least the major services will be using European infrastructure so we shouldn't be as hard hit.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 09:34 - Dec 15 with 8002 viewsblue_oyster

The more faith people place in technology, it seems that it turns out to be a bad idea.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 09:52 - Dec 15 with 7996 viewsNo9

BT/Openreach have been throttling the internet here for years by constricting the bandwidth competitors can get. This leaves them in the prime position to be able to offer BB speeds there competitors could never get.
This has been through parliamentary committees and depsite complaints from all other providers all that has happened is that the responsible minister has handed over more taxpayers cash which must be approaching £4 Bn now.

The internet has become a monster for the unscrupulous to take advantage of. Disgraceful really.
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 09:57 - Dec 15 with 7992 viewsElderGrizzly

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 08:21 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

That's outrageous fake news.

Obama bought in the legislation and Trump then added a new chairman who scrapped it.

Outright lying.

SB
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 8:22]

Who is lying? Trump is....
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 10:26 - Dec 15 with 7967 viewsStokieBlue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 09:34 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

The more faith people place in technology, it seems that it turns out to be a bad idea.

Good to see you've used up you daily quota of nonsense this early in the day.

Means you can't post for the rest of the day right?

SB

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 10:26 - Dec 15 with 7965 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 06:20 - Dec 15 by bluelou

That's not an article it's a sales pitch for a VPN. There are literally zero Kodi users who don't stream illegally so ending that shambles would be a good thing.

However the end to NN in the US is nothing but a bad thing. Access to an open internet is massively importan. Ending that would only man higher prices for customers, an end to legitimate legal competition and a multi-tiered internet that meant you had to pay for access to the key online services or accept poor speeds on anything alternative.

While we are in the EU it won't happen here but who knows after we leave?

Which was exactly the point I was making...
Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 10:53 - Dec 15 with 7928 viewsblue_oyster

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 10:26 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

Good to see you've used up you daily quota of nonsense this early in the day.

Means you can't post for the rest of the day right?

SB

The only reason I can imagine that you respond in this way, is that there is a nagging element of truth to my post that you can't block out.

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 10:55 - Dec 15 with 7926 viewsStokieBlue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 10:53 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

The only reason I can imagine that you respond in this way, is that there is a nagging element of truth to my post that you can't block out.

Completely the opposite actually. There is no truth in your post hence I think my response was perfectly fair.

If technology is a bad idea why don't you give up the internet and stop posting? You must surely have the courage of your convictions right?

SB

Scary sh1t that people don't see through the self-interest on 11:09 - Dec 15 with 7905 viewsDyland

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 07:53 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

Regulation has already failed with regard Google's ever burgeoning influence over the internet and this new move is nothing but a very bad day for democracy and freedom of expression. I guess it's nothing new really, but it all makes me want to live out my days in a fooking cave.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:11 - Dec 15 with 7893 viewsblue_oyster

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 10:55 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

Completely the opposite actually. There is no truth in your post hence I think my response was perfectly fair.

If technology is a bad idea why don't you give up the internet and stop posting? You must surely have the courage of your convictions right?

SB

How do you know there's no truth in it? The issue that you raise in the thread shows worrying concerns about who controls the internet, and therefore who controls information that is disseminated to the public.

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:13 - Dec 15 with 7891 viewsStokieBlue

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:11 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

How do you know there's no truth in it? The issue that you raise in the thread shows worrying concerns about who controls the internet, and therefore who controls information that is disseminated to the public.

That's totally different to the original post you made - well done for moving the goalposts to continue your trolling.

Enjoy your day.

SB

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 11:15 - Dec 15 with 7883 viewsJ2BLUE

Net neutrality scrapped in the US on 10:53 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

The internet must seem pretty threatening to you. All that information out there letting people think for themselves. Less and less people forming their beliefs and opinions based on the bible.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024