Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goal line technology 07:36 - Dec 15 with 2844 viewsallezlesbleus

Does anyone know of any problems this has caused in English football this season? I know that we have benefited from it a couple of times and I aren't aware of any situations where it hasn't worked properly in the Premiership or Championship.

However, I have been to 2 matches this season at Rennes, where play has continued (without the Rennes players appealing for or celebrating a "goal") and after several seconds the referee indicates that the ball had crossed the line and gave Rennes the goal. This was followed with 4 or 5 minutes of arguing by the Caen and Marseille players before the referee changed his mind and cancelled the "goal" and took the play back to where it was stopped.

I have seen this morning that the French Ligue 1 are now going to use video refs from next season.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 7:37]
Goal line technology on 09:26 - Dec 15 with 2764 viewsblue_oyster

Who knows if the technology is wrong and can therefore argue against it?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Goal line technology on 09:29 - Dec 15 with 2760 viewsPinewoodblue

Goal line technology on 09:26 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

Footballers are a bit like TWTD posters. They will argue about anything.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Goal line technology on 09:51 - Dec 15 with 2743 viewsclive_baker

Retrospectively they would. We still have the same camera views etc that we had before so if a goal was incorrectly given or not, it wouldn't be hard to disprove it. For me, the technology is seemingly incredibly reliable - more so that a referee's naked eye would be that's for sure. Can't recall any that have subsequently been disputed. The issue for me is 'did it cross the line' is very black & white within the laws of the game. An extension of this that's being looked at is the whole 'video ref' thing, which makes me nervous that it would break the game up and slow it down. Rugby is different as there are natural breaks. Also, you'll often see 'analysts' / pundits discussing decisions for hours after matches and still not agreeing, it's a lot down to the ref's discretion and I'm not sure how video refs will support in those instances.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Goal line technology on 10:00 - Dec 15 with 2730 viewsGeoffSentence

Technology is fallible. Only god is infallible. Instead of goal line technology we should seek the opinion of a priest.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Goal line technology on 10:19 - Dec 15 with 2696 viewsblue_oyster

Goal line technology on 10:00 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

Technology is fallible. Only god is infallible. Instead of goal line technology we should seek the opinion of a priest.

Or a 'referee', perhaps.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Goal line technology on 10:20 - Dec 15 with 2695 viewsGeoffSentence

Goal line technology on 10:19 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

Or a 'referee', perhaps.

I wouldn't accept one without a degree in theology

Goal line technology on 10:22 - Dec 15 with 2688 viewsPinewoodblue

Goal line technology on 10:20 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

I wouldn't accept one without a degree in theology

forget the paid helper so straight to the top.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Goal line technology on 10:25 - Dec 15 with 2673 viewsGeoffSentence

Goal line technology on 10:22 - Dec 15 by Pinewoodblue

forget the paid helper so straight to the top.

Pray for guidance.

Our Father who art in heaven
Did it cross the line?

Login to get fewer ads

Goal line technology on 10:31 - Dec 15 with 2659 viewsfactual_blue

It gave Derby a problem a few weeks ago.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Goal line technology on 11:18 - Dec 15 with 2631 viewsallezlesbleus

I don't know why the French have had these 2 problems. Neither "goal" was a goal, after reviewing the video evidence. I'm not quite sure why the ref gave both goals, (especially taking into account Rennes didn't celebrate or appeal for the goal on either occasson), but I assume that he received info from the goal line technology gizmo that it was a goal. I just found it strange because from what I've seen from matches in England the goal line technology has always been spot on.

Personally I think the video ref is a good idea.......especially if teams had a limited number of appeals per game, for example, a maximum of 3 appeals per game. There is so much diving in the French League 1 matches, hopefully, introducing this would help to reduce it. If only the captain was allowed to ask for an appeal, I believe that it would make the game flow better, rather than having 3 or 4 minutes of players surrounding the referee and all the pushing and shoving handbags that currently occurs.
Goal line technology on 11:34 - Dec 15 with 2612 viewsDarth_Koont

Goal line technology on 11:18 - Dec 15 by allezlesbleus

I don't know why the French have had these 2 problems. Neither "goal" was a goal, after reviewing the video evidence. I'm not quite sure why the ref gave both goals, (especially taking into account Rennes didn't celebrate or appeal for the goal on either occasson), but I assume that he received info from the goal line technology gizmo that it was a goal. I just found it strange because from what I've seen from matches in England the goal line technology has always been spot on.

Personally I think the video ref is a good idea.......especially if teams had a limited number of appeals per game, for example, a maximum of 3 appeals per game. There is so much diving in the French League 1 matches, hopefully, introducing this would help to reduce it. If only the captain was allowed to ask for an appeal, I believe that it would make the game flow better, rather than having 3 or 4 minutes of players surrounding the referee and all the pushing and shoving handbags that currently occurs.

So they had Hawkeye (or whatever it is) and this was wrong twice?

It's meant to be extremely accurate and certainly way beyond the human eye. So all a bit pointless and confusing if it doesn't work properly.

Pronouns: He/Him

Goal line technology on 12:41 - Dec 15 with 2553 viewsEastTownBlue

Goal line technology on 11:18 - Dec 15 by allezlesbleus

There are a few approved types of goal line technology out there. None of which are 100% accurate although I believe Hawk-eye is in the high 90s %. That has to be more reliable than a pair of human eyes ?
Goal line technology on 12:42 - Dec 15 with 2553 viewsallezlesbleus

Goal line technology on 11:34 - Dec 15 by Darth_Koont

So they had Hawkeye (or whatever it is) and this was wrong twice?

It's meant to be extremely accurate and certainly way beyond the human eye. So all a bit pointless and confusing if it doesn't work properly.

I'm not 100% sure what system they use, but they are certainly having problems with it at Rennes. Although they say that they are introducing video referees here next year, on both occassions that this has happened, someone has looked at the video and told the referee, who has then disallowed the "goal". It certainly needs to get sorted. For what it is worth, I think "Hawkeye" has worked really well from what I have seen of English matches. It is always right (as far as I am aware) and everyone seems to accept the decision without all the argie bargie that goes on normally around the referee whenever there is a contraversial incident.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 12:43]
Goal line technology on 13:00 - Dec 15 with 2515 viewsbaxterbasics

The French have a problem with it because they like being awkward.

Since it only needs consulting when it is not clear if the ball crossed, how could you prove otherwise?

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024