Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On Paternoster Lifts 12:24 - Dec 15 with 3219 viewsSteve_M

Anyone use the one in the Civic Centre? When I temped there for a bit I wasn't allowed to as a contractor although it looked interesting - if a little more dangerous than a conventional lift.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-42363360/paternoster-the-rare-lift-that-went-ove

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

On Paternoster Lifts on 12:59 - Dec 15 with 3181 viewsSWGF

There was one in the library at Essex Uni so used that a few times. Being 6'4" and the height of the lift being approx 6'4" and a bit, timing was everything when trying to get in or out

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

On Paternoster Lifts on 13:43 - Dec 15 with 3143 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

University of Sheffield has one..

Was a great little adventure up and down again.
On Paternoster Lifts on 13:58 - Dec 15 with 3137 viewsOldsmoker

Pauls flour mill on the dockside had one. I worked there in the 70's.
My first thought was "that's a bit fast."
By the end of the day I was thinking "why is this so slow."

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

On Paternoster Lifts on 14:01 - Dec 15 with 3132 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I'm a Leicester University graduate, had the privilege/terror of riding upon this very paternoster in the Attenborough Tower. First time I ever got on it to go up, I mis-timed my step off and nearly fell head first into a table on the 8th floor. Tbh, I rarely used it thereafter!!

Damn thing was always getting stuck anyway. The number of times I walked into the lobby and saw the top half of some students and the bottom half of others trapped in limbo after it stalled mid-floor.
On Paternoster Lifts on 14:04 - Dec 15 with 3121 viewsGeoffSentence

On Paternoster Lifts on 14:01 - Dec 15 by NoCanariesAllowed

I'm a Leicester University graduate, had the privilege/terror of riding upon this very paternoster in the Attenborough Tower. First time I ever got on it to go up, I mis-timed my step off and nearly fell head first into a table on the 8th floor. Tbh, I rarely used it thereafter!!

Damn thing was always getting stuck anyway. The number of times I walked into the lobby and saw the top half of some students and the bottom half of others trapped in limbo after it stalled mid-floor.

Did it get stuck because people tried to go over the top?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

On Paternoster Lifts on 14:06 - Dec 15 with 3117 viewsjontysnut

I worked there late 70s - I was more worried about my flared pinstripe trousers getting caught. I never went over the top though
On Paternoster Lifts on 17:02 - Dec 15 with 3056 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

On Paternoster Lifts on 14:04 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

Did it get stuck because people tried to go over the top?

Don't know - I never dared try the trip through the top or indeed the bottom, but my understanding was it was okay to do so. I think it was just old and unreliable!
On Paternoster Lifts on 17:18 - Dec 15 with 3036 viewsSamuelowen88

Our at Sheffield Uni is still going.

Very strange to use and not fun if miss timed

Poll: England v Wales Score

Login to get fewer ads

On Paternoster Lifts on 18:27 - Dec 15 with 2996 viewsPhilTWTD

On Paternoster Lifts on 17:02 - Dec 15 by NoCanariesAllowed

Don't know - I never dared try the trip through the top or indeed the bottom, but my understanding was it was okay to do so. I think it was just old and unreliable!

I think I went over the top in the Attenborough Building when I was there but I can't remember what happened. Nothing I expect or I'd remember it.

There's a bit in a David Lodge novel where there's a chase involving a Paternoster lift in which the person being chased goes over the top and reappears standing on their head as they assumed you'd have to invert yourself as you did so.
On Paternoster Lifts on 18:30 - Dec 15 with 2986 viewsFreddies_Ears

On Paternoster Lifts on 18:27 - Dec 15 by PhilTWTD

I think I went over the top in the Attenborough Building when I was there but I can't remember what happened. Nothing I expect or I'd remember it.

There's a bit in a David Lodge novel where there's a chase involving a Paternoster lift in which the person being chased goes over the top and reappears standing on their head as they assumed you'd have to invert yourself as you did so.

There was one at Salford Uni, and the trick of going over the top and coming back round upside down was often used to fool freshers.
On Paternoster Lifts on 18:45 - Dec 15 with 2977 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

On Paternoster Lifts on 18:27 - Dec 15 by PhilTWTD

I always thought a paternoster would be a superb device in a Sweeney Todd style novel. Ride through the bottom and the trapdoor opens before your empty compartment is restored to the carousel...

You a former UoL man, Phil, or was this a visit?
On Paternoster Lifts on 18:48 - Dec 15 with 2969 viewsPhilTWTD

On Paternoster Lifts on 18:45 - Dec 15 by NoCanariesAllowed

I always thought a paternoster would be a superb device in a Sweeney Todd style novel. Ride through the bottom and the trapdoor opens before your empty compartment is restored to the carousel...

You a former UoL man, Phil, or was this a visit?

Yes, was there for a year doing post-grad Sociology of Sport.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024