Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A no. 9 tribute post: railways 13:14 - Dec 15 with 5774 viewsgiant_stow

The Swiss are about to open up an engineering marvel 1700 metres up a bludy mountain for the price of €44.6m

Sorry forgot links: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/15/world-steepest-funicular-rail-line

Meanwhile a study says it will cost £1b to re-open an old curve of track (with the cutting still in place) in Reedham to re-establish a direct train link between Yarmouth and Lowerstoft.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/rail-plan-sparks-station-concerns-in-reedham-1-39101

wtf? Why is this country so expensive when our wages are apparently so low?

[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 13:17]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:22 - Dec 15 with 3560 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Middle management and consultants.......they have mortgages on over priced houses to pay for don't you know !
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 13:23]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:22 - Dec 15 with 3560 viewsFtnfwest

that isn't what it says Ulla, you're getting a whole new line, stations moving around etc for your £1bn. Mind you will probably not happen anyway
A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:23 - Dec 15 with 3559 viewsBasuco

Contractors in the UK as apposed to direct labour that the Swiss use, contractors are always much more expensive to use.
A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:26 - Dec 15 with 3550 viewsgiant_stow

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:22 - Dec 15 by Ftnfwest

that isn't what it says Ulla, you're getting a whole new line, stations moving around etc for your £1bn. Mind you will probably not happen anyway

The two lines are already there - its just a curve of track that needs to be re-laid in a cutting (i've walked along many times) that's still there to join the two lines up.

yeah alright - a new station thrown in - call that a very generous £10m (for a shed and two lines of concrete) so where's the rest of the cost come from?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:26 - Dec 15 with 3546 viewsgiant_stow

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:23 - Dec 15 by Basuco

Contractors in the UK as apposed to direct labour that the Swiss use, contractors are always much more expensive to use.

You and Bankerdebt must be right, but gawd - what a price!

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:32 - Dec 15 with 3528 viewsFtnfwest

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:26 - Dec 15 by giant_stow

The two lines are already there - its just a curve of track that needs to be re-laid in a cutting (i've walked along many times) that's still there to join the two lines up.

yeah alright - a new station thrown in - call that a very generous £10m (for a shed and two lines of concrete) so where's the rest of the cost come from?

it says its a completely new line in there (imagine you can't use 50 year old plus lines and you'd have to renew base etc). The guided bus route in Cambridge cost something incredible as well a few years ago. As for the Swiss - maybe it shows how efficient you can be outside of the EU
A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:37 - Dec 15 with 3523 viewsGeoffSentence

1Bn to build a short length of track and a new station! Fckin laughable. It won'r go ahead if it really costs that much.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:37 - Dec 15 with 3523 viewsgiant_stow

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:32 - Dec 15 by Ftnfwest

it says its a completely new line in there (imagine you can't use 50 year old plus lines and you'd have to renew base etc). The guided bus route in Cambridge cost something incredible as well a few years ago. As for the Swiss - maybe it shows how efficient you can be outside of the EU

Hope you're right about the EU thing.

If you're right about all new track (all the way between yarmouth and Lowerstoft, not just that curve) then I'll stand down my outrage and return to my hole.

Login to get fewer ads

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:41 - Dec 15 with 3506 viewsThrobbe

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:32 - Dec 15 by Ftnfwest

Once the dispute was settled the guided busway was a little under £90M, although legal fees added to that! That doesn't include land purchase I don't think.

I think rail would have cost 2-3 times that, but a lot of the cost was in the fact that all of the structures on the route were shot and had to be replaced.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:43 - Dec 15 with 3497 viewsFtnfwest

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:37 - Dec 15 by giant_stow

If you're right about all new track (all the way between yarmouth and Lowerstoft, not just that curve) then I'll stand down my outrage and return to my hole.

Chuckle. I'm sure its horrendously expensive if true. Might be land purchases and all sorts in it as well for new stations etc who knows? We had a new single line railway 'loop' about a mile long with a bridge included between hitchin and letchworth about 5 years ago and i think that was £70m!
A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:44 - Dec 15 with 3490 viewsGeoffSentence

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:37 - Dec 15 by giant_stow

It's just the curve

"At Reedham, reinstatement of the abandoned north/south
alignment of the former triangle, approximately 34 chains in
length, with associated signalling."

http://reedhamvillage.co.uk/data/orof/networkrail/improvingconnectivity.pdf

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:47 - Dec 15 with 3477 viewsGeoffSentence

I think there has been a misunderstanding about the £1bn cost.

"The initial estimate of infrastructure costs
for the whole area north of Cambridge and Ipswich is in the region
of £1billion."

It's not just for Reedham

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:48 - Dec 15 with 3471 viewsBent_double

A billion quid, just for that! Jeez, how do they cost these proposals? You'd think tens of millions, maybe a couple of hundred million at most if most of the track is in place.

Would be great if it happened - you could effectively go from Yarmouth to London Liv St without needing to go via Narwich, but at that cost there's no way it's going to happen.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:49 - Dec 15 with 3466 viewsThrobbe

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:44 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

It's just the curve

"At Reedham, reinstatement of the abandoned north/south
alignment of the former triangle, approximately 34 chains in
length, with associated signalling."

Good to see Network Rail preparing for Brexit by persisting with the use of chains and furlongs as a measurement of length.

Semi seriously, I'm one of those middle management grade consultants adding to the price of civil engineering projects in this country, and the UK does pay a huge premium for infrastructure compared to other countries, even those in the EU with similar regulatory requirements. We do also have an excellent safety record, which might be a part of it, but we're not the innovators we once were in the field.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:49 - Dec 15 with 3467 viewsblue_oyster

A very good question. The future crippling impact of the Beeching cuts has been showing for quite some time now. Possibly the country's biggest mistake with regards to travel infrastructure.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:49 - Dec 15 with 3465 viewsgiant_stow

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:47 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

I think there has been a misunderstanding about the £1bn cost.

"The initial estimate of infrastructure costs
for the whole area north of Cambridge and Ipswich is in the region
of £1billion."

It's not just for Reedham

Thanks Geoff - hole time and an object lesson in reading up before spouting off. Hey ho, at least I don;t mind looking silly!

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:51 - Dec 15 with 3459 viewsgiant_stow

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:49 - Dec 15 by blue_oyster

A very good question. The future crippling impact of the Beeching cuts has been showing for quite some time now. Possibly the country's biggest mistake with regards to travel infrastructure.

You're bang on about Beeching - short sighted and now we pay.

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:51 - Dec 15 with 3454 viewsThrobbe

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:49 - Dec 15 by giant_stow

Thanks Geoff - hole time and an object lesson in reading up before spouting off. Hey ho, at least I don;t mind looking silly!

It's so rare that I can actually contribute some knowledge to a thread. I'm glad you started ranting.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:52 - Dec 15 with 3450 viewsgiant_stow

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:49 - Dec 15 by Throbbe

Good to see Network Rail preparing for Brexit by persisting with the use of chains and furlongs as a measurement of length.

Semi seriously, I'm one of those middle management grade consultants adding to the price of civil engineering projects in this country, and the UK does pay a huge premium for infrastructure compared to other countries, even those in the EU with similar regulatory requirements. We do also have an excellent safety record, which might be a part of it, but we're not the innovators we once were in the field.

Out of interest, how close was I on my little guess for the cost of a new minor station (£10m)?!

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:54 - Dec 15 with 3445 viewsOldsmoker

The cost of HS2 was already 1billion pounds and growing before one piece of track had been laid. This was attributed to consultation or "talking amongst themselves" to put it another way.
Whoever said "Talk is cheap" was wrong unless of course 1billion is small potatoes and you ain't seen nuthin' yet. In 2011 the expected cost-per-km was 47million, 2017 cost is 403million-per-mile.
It's a gravy train - pun intended.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:58 - Dec 15 with 3430 viewsThrobbe

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:52 - Dec 15 by giant_stow

Out of interest, how close was I on my little guess for the cost of a new minor station (£10m)?!

Depends on the size, and whether it's just the buildings and all the rail and signalling infrastructure, but I'd say at least double it, if not treble.

The new Cambridge North station was around £50M, but that's in an awkward location, and is larger.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:59 - Dec 15 with 3422 viewsgiant_stow

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:58 - Dec 15 by Throbbe

Depends on the size, and whether it's just the buildings and all the rail and signalling infrastructure, but I'd say at least double it, if not treble.

The new Cambridge North station was around £50M, but that's in an awkward location, and is larger.

interesting, ta. Reedham's just a village so it has to be the smallest station going - lets settle on £25m.

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 14:02 - Dec 15 with 3407 viewsFtnfwest

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:41 - Dec 15 by Throbbe

Once the dispute was settled the guided busway was a little under £90M, although legal fees added to that! That doesn't include land purchase I don't think.

I think rail would have cost 2-3 times that, but a lot of the cost was in the fact that all of the structures on the route were shot and had to be replaced.

yes it was a similar existing situation in that some of the route was an old disused railway line from Cambridge to Bedford. No stations as such, just bus stops!
A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 14:03 - Dec 15 with 3403 viewsGeoffSentence

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:51 - Dec 15 by Throbbe

It's so rare that I can actually contribute some knowledge to a thread. I'm glad you started ranting.

Rail infrastructure and the improvements in this region are a subject of great interest. They just need to get their finger out and properly sort out the East-West Rail Link.

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 14:04 - Dec 15 with 3401 viewsClapham_Junction

A no. 9 tribute post: railways on 13:49 - Dec 15 by Throbbe

In the field I work in, we're paying around seven times what Scandinavian countries are for the same equipment (we compared our quoted costs with our equivalents in Sweden).

The main differences seem to be the limited competition amongst suppliers in the UK, the lack of joined up thinking amongst providers (in Sweden they're mostly in a national co-operative that buy together and get better prices for buying in bulk) and the making a quick buck attitude from UK contractors.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024